• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us (Naughty Dog): Hold One Second

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atomski

Um, no. It was not clear at all... all that was clear were that these things had some strange ass mutated fungal growth or something on their heads and have some severe rage.

How do you get trying to "eat some brains" from that!? From the one attacking Joel? How do you know it doesn't just want to spread an infection? Maybe it just wants to kill for the sake of killing? Maybe they don't even kill at all and just simply convert you? No one really knows, because the trailer isn't clear. Nothing is clear and you are making assumptions that they just want to eat brains.

brainsgohere.jpg

How is this not clear.. even the zombies seem to be missing their brain area!

Im not trying to be an ass.. I just wish a talented studio would try new creative things. If this was a space marine game would you feel ok with it?

Lerozz

Nice trailer. Totally unexpected. CG Ellen looks better than the real girl. xD

What I want:

- huge town as seen in the trailer (apart from other levels/locations)
- day/night cycles
- scarce ammunition
- safe places (find a spot to hide over the night)
- not open world but also not too linear; several ways to reach a goal/location (do i engage the enemy or sneak through a house around them ?)
- differing locations (big city ... journey across the US, maybe by car, hmm, maybe a small town at a high way or a gas station for resting and stocking up, a small fort full of survivors ?)
- coop, obligatory or optional, i don't care but do it
- not "just" another RE or UC with a new theme

Thanks, Naughty Dog, your turn. :D

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
It's not. Neither the screens or the trailer.

Uncharted cutscenes are pretty much an amped up version of gameplay. I am pretty sure it will get close to this, meaning it will surpass/be on the same level as current uncharted cinematics.

also holy shit ellen page <3

jagowar

Looks awesome but I wish they had just removed the zombie element completely.... I think this would have been much cooler as a "I am legend" type of game where you feel alone in that world.

Of course part of this is the whole zomebie theme of the vga's.... its like everybody thought they needed zombies tonight.

inky

It's funny... I think about all the other devs out there. Lets say they all do a "zombie" game.

How many of them end up going with a young girl as a protagonist? How many take their cues from material like The Road.

Because, dude... anything that reminds me of The Road just wafts generic. I mean it's dripping in generic.

So what exactly reminds of you of The Road? A couple of individuals going nowhere, surviving in desolate post-apocalyptic world, fighting against scavengers and such? The setting might be similar, but doesn't seem like it. The mood was even completely different so that's not it. The total absence of guns save for a bullet with two rounds which have a very explicit purpose? vs the gun in this trailer... the landscape I would say was more rural/highway than a city like NY. A lot of things don't remind of The Road, honestly. (And I'm not talking about specifics).

I can do the same thing as you and say the trailer takes as many cues from other games and other media as well: city reclaimed by nature, infected people overrunning civilization, unlikely couple who got each other's back, middle aged grizzled man acting as the young one's mentor/partner/protector, etc. I am legend, 28 days later, The Walking Dead, many others have pointed out this stuff as well.
That said, you could do that with any game. I was referring more to the way the trailer is made up (and I think Stallion was as well), composition wise and such. The way they play the character's fortunes and how they show the infected and the city. Yes, it felt generic to me, maybe I'm wrong but that's how I felt.

I just wish a talented studio would try new creative things. If this was a space marine game would you feel ok with it?

How is this not creative? The trailer suggests that it's a survival based game that has zombies in it. Please point me in the direction of all the games that are like that. Because L4D, Dead Rising etc. sure as hell don't fit the description. Those are just action titles where you have loads of ammo/weapons at your disposal. This seems to be a game where you're excited when you actually come across a few shells because they're so rare.

Arsenic

So have we discussed gameplay possibilities?

-I hope there's strong platforming that's not as simple as Uncharted (press X for everything).
-Obviously there's coop, but maybe a sense of separation like in Resident Evil 2?
-Night gameplay, pitch dark with flash lights! ahh how awesome would that be. Scary too...
-Same dynamic animation techniques like in uncharted
-please no heavy gun play

Nice trailer. Totally unexpected. CG Ellen looks better than the real girl. xD

What I want:

- huge town as seen in the trailer (apart from other levels/locations)
- day/night cycles
- scarce ammunition
- safe places (find a spot to hide over the night)
- not open world but also not too linear; several ways to reach a goal/location (do i engage the enemy or sneak through a house around them ?)
- differing locations (big city ... journey across the US, maybe by car, hmm, maybe a small town at a high way or a gas station for resting and stocking up, a small fort full of survivors ?)
- coop, obligatory or optional, i don't care but do it
- not "just" another RE or UC with a new theme

Thanks, Naughty Dog, your turn. :D

I like your ideas better lol

snack

Naughty Dog is one of my favorite gaming studios. I think this game will do insanely well judging from their past projects.

Darkkn

Hopefully this is more of an open world design rather than UC style small areas.

Enslaved was imo. disappointing because it felt so artificially restrained. In setting like this, open world-ish design just makes perfect sense.

Cartman86

Banned
brainsgohere.jpg

Im not trying to be an ass.. I just wish a talented studio would try new creative things. If this was a space marine game would you feel ok with it?

If it was doing something that hadn't already been tone in terms of tone/setting and possibly gameplay then I would be okay with it. For example an open-world (space) game set in an Aliens style universe featuring space marines. If The Last of Us is a run-down modern city, survival story in the vein of I Am Legend or The Walking Dead I can say with some confidence that in videogames that is quite rare. The only thing I can think of that comes close is Enslaved. Plus it's an amazing developer. If Valve were doing a space marine game I would be excited.

kevm3

There's hardly been anything shown on the game, so how are people assuming this 'isn't creative?' It has zombie-esque creatuers, but that's about the extent of it. The one area where ND IS being creative is the environment. Most survival horror or zombie games are in run down mansions. this has a much more organic look to it. Let's find out more information about the game before we start calling it uncreative or assuming it's a 'me too' game.

beast786

I don't care who the dev is when it's based on an enemy that I am bored to tears with. The masses will still buy it, Dead Island proved that, but this looks like it wasn't made for me one bit.

I am actually tired of human based enemy. I am bored to tears with it. But people buy it so I understand.

newjeruse

My gameplay guess, assuming the trailer is supposed to be evocative:

Combat relies heavily on the situational awareness mechanics ND developed for UC3 and now perfected for this game. Think the bar room brawl in UC3, but with a partner as the key component to the combat. Ammo will be extremely rare and reserved for only when most necessary.

The M.O.B

Is it confirmed to be based on Ellen Paige? Then how come they are not using her voice, she sounds young enough to pull off a 15-16 yo girl

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So what exactly reminds of you of The Road? A couple of individuals going nowhere, surviving in desolate post-apocalyptic world, fighting against scavengers and such? The setting might be similar, but doesn't seem like it. The mood was even completely different.

I can do the same thing as you and say the trailer takes as many cues from other games and other media as well: city reclaimed by nature, infected people overrunning civilization, unlikely couple who got each other's back, middle aged grizzled man acting as the young one's mentor/partner/protector, etc.
That said, you could do that with any game. I was referring more to the way the trailer is made up (and I think Stallion was as well). The way they play the character's fortunes and how they show the infected and the city. Yes, it felt generic to me.

Honestly there's the superficial similarities like setting... and that's certainly part of it, but what reminded me of The Road was feeling like there was going to be a very strong relationship between the two characters. The girl here is quite a bit more able than the boy from the story, but I was very impressed about how the two characters communicated without words. And that was very prominent in the book. And stuck with me.

Admittedly, we've seen only scraps of the game's narrative, but yeah... I was instantly thinking about The Road, the setting, but particularly about the relationship between the boy and the man while watching the trailer.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Oh, an open world game. That sounds great. I hope I can drive around in cars and hit zombies with dildos.

def sim

yep that's totally ellen paige

anyway, this sounds really good. i am legend/the road plus open world will probably be good times

Cartman86

Banned
Is it confirmed to be based on Ellen Paige? Then how come they are not using her voice, she sounds young enough to pull off a 15-16 yo girl

Because she's a Hollywood actress who is in a shit ton of films and probably doesn't have time to commit to a project that requires motion capture that is recorded over many many months. Plus I don't think Naughty Dog designed her with that much Ellen Paige in mind.

Paznos

I really liked the trailer and was shocked to see Naughty Dog's name I didn't think we'd see anything else from them til PS4, need more info!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Watched the trailer on youtube. Framerate is too smooth, looks like the source is 60 fps which is why I find it hard believing it's on PS3 but ok, let's leave it at that.

As for the theme I'm a bit dissapointed. Looks like another american zombie-infection flick that takes itself too seriously. I hope gameplay will be good at least.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I've been in the "Zombies are over" camp for awhile now, but oddly enough TLOU didn't strike me as being too played out.

I think I've figured out why that is, and it's all down to the treatment.

The root of the problem seems to me that the real cultural meme that sprang from Romero's seminal Dawn of the Dead, was not the snarky consumers=zombies satire that was intended, but the far more basic thought that paramilitary vs undead monsters (that can only be killed by headshots) is the greatest idea in the history of horror.

I love DOTD, but back then having folks who could (in the fiction) legit handle themselves in a firefight being overwhelmed by the monsters was a novel idea, and it just isn't anymore. It's like the whole "space marines" thing... especially in games where weapons are always a prime source of interaction in the world, its so familiar nowadays it has absolutely no meaning or impact anymore.

TLOU seems to be intent on setting up a less empowered sort of protagonist than most games in its genre; this is young girl who can't go head-to-head with the monsters because she isn't super-strong or has a massive arsenal of firepower to compensate.

Survival is also a day-to-day grind, its not a case of holding the barricades until the chopper comes to pick her up. Alliances are fragile, and the humans she encounters pose as much danger as the monsters...

Not to labour the point, but it sounds like a far more interesting perspective to me than just another guys with guns versus monsters splatter-fest.

Atomski

How is this not creative? The trailer suggests that it's a survival based game that has zombies in it. Please point me in the direction of all the games that are like that. Because L4D, Dead Rising etc. sure as hell don't fit the description. Those are just action titles where you have loads of ammo/weapons at your disposal. This seems to be a game where you're excited when you actually come across a few shells because they're so rare.
I can almost say with certainty it will be the same case in this game. The average gamer does not want to be running out of ammo.. everything has to be streamlined and not frustrating. This is why most survival horrors fail this gen. If they did make stuff like ammo extremely rare you would have some baby reviewer whining that the game is no fun.

The only survival horror game this gen that was actually scary at all has been Amnesia and they had to take weapons away entirely.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
She's the most generic looking of the L4D survivors by far. And I like how ND just made her a couple years younger and stuck her in their game, clothes, hairstyle and all.

Are you serious?

pERvG.gif

They have the same color hair. Nothing about their facial structure or complexion is the same at all. Not to touch on their builds, which are of course not similar.

Also, I don't understand why Zoe is more "generic" than Louis.

Are you serious?

http://i.imgur.com/pERvG.gif[IMG]

They have the same color hair. Nothing about their facial structure or complexion is the same at all. Not to touch on their builds, which are of course not similar.

Also, I don't understand why Zoe is more "generic" than Louis.[/QUOTE]

Holy shit, Zoe looks like a PS2 model next to Ellie.

patsu

She's the most generic looking of the L4D survivors by far. And I like how ND just made her a couple years younger and stuck her in their game, clothes, hairstyle and all.

That's why it's a NaughtyDog game. They seem to prefer normal looking folks as protagonists so that we can identify more with them, specially when they banter like our friends.

Nate is regular looking. No cowboy hat and whip like Dr. Jones. Just half tuck shirt like you and me.

From that poster above, it looks like they will carry guns though. I'm hoping they only have limited supply in this game instead of ammo everywhere.

heavyness

Geoff Knightley hyping it as "a PS3 Exclusive You Won’t Believe" did more harm then good.

Sure, it looks great and will probably be awesome (it is Naughty Dog game) but when you say "an exclusive you won't believe" you aren't thinking its a game being made by a Sony subsidiary. You are thinking of an IP that hasn't been exclusive before.

Not that I listened to him before, so I'm not going to start.

I can almost say with certainty it will be the same case in this game. The average gamer does not want to be running out of ammo.. everything has to be streamlined and not frustrating. This is why most survival horrors fail this gen. If they did make stuff like ammo extremely rare you would have some baby reviewer whining that the game is no fun.

You're assuming that when the trailer suggests that ammo will be very limited. You're willing to assume the enemies are trying to "eat them some brains" from that but you aren't willing to take a much more obvious hint? What you're describing would eventually boil down to being Uncharted in a different setting. Why would ND be interested in doing something like that?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
but ND doesn't seem the type of studio that would pursue a new IP if it didn't offer some new ground/challenge.

it could just be a good reuse of the U3 engine - there's only so much they can do with Uncha , and throwing Zombies in (* - yes, i know, you don't need to remind me) would be a bit of a stretch.

I'm expecting it to be a tightly scripted cinematic afair - the last thing i expect is a huge open world survival simulator!

Why would ND be interested in doing something like that?

why wouldn't they? there's only certain things they can do within the Uncharted narative that they could break out of with a different setting.
I'm not offended either way - if it is like that then it'll rely on a compelling story and good combat, exploration etc. *shrug*

inky

Honestly there's the superficial similarities like setting... and that's certainly part of it, but what reminded me of The Road was feeling like there was going to be a very strong relationship between the two characters. The girl here is quite a bit more able than the boy from the story, but I was very impressed about how the two characters communicated without words. And that was very prominent in the book. And stuck with me.

Admittedly, we've seen only scraps of the game's narrative, but yeah... I was instantly thinking about The Road, the setting, but particularly about the relationship between the boy and the man while watching the trailer.

Well, that's cool. I mean, if any studio can pull off something like that is ND, no denying that. As is, the premise does not excite as much as it does other people, that's the gist of it. I think it's been played out (some parts maybe not so much in game form) but certainly in other media, and recently. I think it plays to very common sensibilities and doesn't seem to take too many steps forward. We'll see.

Mrbob

When I was talking about atmospheric, I meant a zombie type game that made me feel like you are trying to survive and are outnumbered. I suppose people will point to Resident Evil, but then Resident Evil 5 happened so it must suck to suck because that game sucked. Even so, I never got the feeling of isolated desolation in any of the RE games. I'm hoping this is what The Last of Us will bring to the table.

Teknoman

The only survival horror game this gen that was actually scary at all has been Amnesia and they had to take weapons away entirely.

Isnt ammo kinda scarce in Bioshock 1?

brainsgohere.jpg

... I'm sorry, Atomski. That still doesn't prove that they are "zombies" and are out to eat brains. If anything, that tells me that they want to kill and are ferocious about it, like a raging animal. Does it still have eyes? Can it see? Does it "see" by smelling? Does it know that it is attacking someones face? That is my point... nothing is clear unless you see them actually eating someone. We see this thing drop down on the dead body of the other guy, but we don't see them eating them. Maybe they attack you, kill you and rip you apart but don't eat you... it isn't clear until we actually seem them eating someone. When we find out for sure if they may be "zombies" and eat brains, then I will stand corrected. You might think it is, but it isn't too me. There is too much room left for interpretation, which is why it doesn't immediately jump out to everyone as zombies.

I won't talk about it any further though. I've made my point. You are set in your way and I am in mine. Done.

I have no problem with Naughty Dog tackling a genre like this and if they are zombies that eat flesh and "brains" like the Left 4 Dead zombies do and the Romero zombies do, then so be it. I love that they are trying something different for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom