• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us (Naughty Dog): Hold One Second

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trick_GSF

Banned
I believe there are 2 teams now at ND so the other one will be working on UC4 (same team that made UC3).

Oh sweet relief!

On another note, I've just watched the trailer, amazing. Beautiful, though the dude is basically a slightly more hobo looking Nathan Drake. To close a resemblance.

Sean

Banned
How is this not creative? The trailer suggests that it's a survival based game that has zombies in it. Please point me in the direction of all the games that are like that. Because L4D, Dead Rising etc. sure as hell don't fit the description. Those are just action titles where you have loads of ammo/weapons at your disposal. This seems to be a game where you're excited when you actually come across a few shells because they're so rare.

Condemned? Ammo was extremely scarce in that game and you usually had to rely on melee combat and random makeshift weapons in the environment (pipes, locker doors, desk drawers, 2x4's, crowbars, axes, a papercutter, manequinn arm, etc).

I don't see how having less ammo somehow makes it "creative", it's the same exact concept as every other zombie/undead story. The world is fucked, you're one of the last survivors, scavenge for ammo and food/supplies, try to stay alive and make it to some safe zone or whatever.

I have faith in Naughty Dog and it will probably turn out to be a great game with likable characters, but it doesn't exactly win points for originality based on what they've shown so far.

leroidys

OMG, they are NOT zombies!

The newspaper clipping that we saw clearly said it was an infection. The video of the ant confirms that this has to do with some sort of fungal infection. People are being infected, which turns them into these creatures.

I don't understand you people? Are you looking for something to complain about?

How does this make them less zombies than the mobs in Resident Evil games?

jgminto

I dunno...Maybe like MGS3, minus the stealth, ya know? Theres one thing you absolutely have to do, but you can go off here or there, go into this building or that building and find items. You can go and mess around if you want but the game won't advance until you go complete the objective you have to complete.
Or maybe something like Jak 1 where you have a series of objectives to complete in an area. That'd be cool too.

I'd say a better example would be Deus Ex HR missions (outside the hubworlds) on a slightly bigger scale. Like being able to break a window of a shop to get in or finding a stealthier route like climbing to the second floor. I love that structure.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I dunno...Maybe like MGS3, minus the stealth, ya know? Theres one thing you absolutely have to do, but you can go off here or there, go into this building or that building and find items. You can go and mess around if you want but the game won't advance until you go complete the objective you have to complete.
Or maybe something like Jak 1 where you have a series of objectives to complete in an area. That'd be cool too.

That's interesting. If they could keep it from feeling fetch questy, they might do that. You have a certain subset of things to do in each area, and you need to do them before you can advance. Maybe gather food, water, remove an obstacle in your way, etc.

I think--particularly if it's going to be a coop game-- they're going to want it to be somewhat tighter.

I'd say a better example would be Deus Ex HR missions (outside the hubworlds) on a slightly bigger scale. Like being able to break a window of a shop to get in or finding a stealthier route like climbing to the second floor. I love that structure.

Yeah, but that game is really very small. It gets a lot of use out of a few environments by occupying you with things to do. Not sure how they can carry that over to a straight adventure conceit, but I think they should be able to open it up a little more.

Something like a Halo level might be what they go for. The path is set and you don't really have any choice but to move forward, but the lane is wide and you have a lot of options.

Zombie purists are funny people.

6Xjkq.gif

OMG, they are NOT zombies!

The newspaper clipping that we saw clearly said it was an infection. The video of the ant confirms that this has to do with some sort of fungal infection. People are being infected, which turns them into these creatures.

I don't understand you people? Are you looking for something to complain about?

Infected are nothing more then hipster zombies.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Naughty Dog confirms several time that this has been rendered on the PS3.
GAF still does not believe.

Anyone who's played an uncharted game knows three things:
1. ND don't do CG cutscenes.
2. The cutscenes are not that far away from the quality of the actual real time gameplay.
3. ND games actually look better the more they get closer to the date of release.

This is miles ahead of even uncharted 2 in terms of quality of cinematics. Which means the gameplay will also be superior in terms of quality. This is why people are excited.

I'm hoping the game has infected that act and look just like normal people, but maybe display some irrational behaviour that might or might not be a sign. Like some nice old lady who starts shaking or something. You then have to choose whether to kill her or not, not knowing if she is just like that or will shortly become deranged. If it's all just grunting zombies running at you like UC1 then it's going to be a let down.

Atomski

You can say it for a certainty? Based on an assumption?
I said I can almost with certainty.. Sure I could be wrong. But based on previous survival horror games this gen that have been ruined by the main stream.. yeah I feel somewhat certain.

Anyways Ill just let this pass. All I was trying to say is I wish it was something more.. we will see in a year if its a "real survival horror".

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Uncharted 2 should have been rated M, not sure how Sony gets away with a T rating on the Uncharted series.
The violence level in the game is for the most part more akin to play-pretend like when kids play war, than the kind of think you can see in MW games for example.

patsu

Infected are nothing more then hipster zombies.

Depends on their behavior, habits, weaknesses. I mean werewolves, zombies, aliens, vampires, body snatchers, serial killers are all hazardous. But these fungus people may be dangerous in different ways.

The other human survivors may not be friendly too.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
:/

I wasn't a particularly big fan of the Enslaved demo on the PS3.

The mechanics themselves are pretty bad...but the art and level designs are very unique and there is some very interesting cooperative gameplay. Most of it is fucking ANNOYING wait here/follow me type junk, but there is one level where the two characters cross a bridge with mounted turrets with one character hiding behind a car while the other drives it. It's scripted, but the car doesn't go in a straight line and creates some fun platforming. :)

Are you serious?

pERvG.gif

They have the same color hair. Nothing about their facial structure or complexion is the same at all. Not to touch on their builds, which are of course not similar.

Also, I don't understand why Zoe is more "generic" than Louis.

Also to further state the differences in this image is that first off, Zoey is a whore.

That's interesting. If they could keep it from feeling fetch questy, they might do that. You have a certain subset of things to do in each area, and you need to do them before you can advance. Maybe gather food, water, remove an obstacle in your way, etc.

I think--particularly if it's going to be a coop game-- they're going to want it to be somewhat tighter.

I doubt it'd be anything like that. And I didn't really explain myself well.
Basically what I DON'T want is just extreme linearity and railroading. I don't want the game to just HALT or punish me if I'm not moving along with what they want me to do.
In Uncharted theres no real deviating from the script. Either you go here or well...Theres not much else to do. You can run around and jump up on some random thing but theres nothing to do or see when you get up there, except maybe some random "collectathon" treasure thing, but that doesn't add much.
Basically what I want to be able to do is just EXPLORE and find things that would be helpful to my survival. I don't want an open world, I just want a world where there are branching paths. These paths might simply lead to a dead body with some more ammo or something, or hell maybe even a zombie ambush, but I just want to say..."Yeah, I know I need to go into this building, but theres something over here that looks interesting, I'ma go check that out first."
I can't really think of a game off the top of my head that goes along with this model. Besides, there are different ways they could go about doing that.
Its all, of course, baseless speculation at this point.

Concept17

What a great thing to come home to. I had no idea it would be Naughty Dog.

While the zombie genre (even if this technically isn't zombies) is certainly no new thing, there have been nearly 0 zombie games that can be considered horror games that have come out since... Resident Evil... 2? Dead Island was a bust, even though it made a nice attempt. L4D is a pure action game (an amazing game, but its not a horror game)

If this game can truly be a horror game, with the addition of feeling overwhelmed like L4D, some sense of being lost, and is truly difficult, then the game should be fucking amazing.

So excited.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's not 60FPS source, I'm 99.9% sure. You can see my post above as to why.'

I'm hoping the game has infected that act and look just like normal people, but maybe display some irrational behaviour that might or might not be a sign. Like some nice old lady who starts shaking or something. You then have to choose whether to kill her or not, not knowing if she is just like that or will shortly become deranged. If it's all just grunting zombies running at you like UC1 then it's going to be a let down.
Oh yes, something like that would be nice. Also, I'm sure there will be regular human enemies you'll have to face. Scavengers who kill others just to rob them off anything they have.

Mxrz

Looks incredible.

Expectations are going to be through the f'ing roof when it comes time for a Naughty Dog PS4 game.

Condemned? Ammo was extremely scarce in that game and you usually had to rely on melee combat and random makeshift weapons in the environment (pipes, locker doors, desk drawers, 2x4's, crowbars, axes, a papercutter, manequinn arm, etc).

I don't see how having less ammo somehow makes it "creative", it's the same exact concept as every other zombie/undead story. The world is fucked, you're one of the last survivors, scavenge for ammo and food/supplies, try to stay alive and make it to some safe zone or whatever.

I have faith in Naughty Dog and it will probably turn out to be a great game with likable characters, but it doesn't exactly win points for originality based on what they've shown so far.
Condemned was a zombie game?

Even if it were, there are so few games like it that I could hardly see why people would start calling the Last of Us generic (if that is what it is like).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I am surprise they are so light on details.

As far as I'm aware the game has no release date window. Wikipedia cites an IGN article for "TBA 2012", but the article makes no mention of this and even IGN's landing page for the game says just TBA.

Looks incredible. I was really surprised, a zombie/horror/survival themed game made by Naughty Dog ? Count me in.

I guess this will be releasing in 2012 ?

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
To me, Naughty Dog is the last remaining case for console manufacturers to pursue the production of more powerful machines. Instead of focussing on peripherals and gimmicks.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I hope not. Not after Uncharted 3
Lol. Her work in UC3 characters/dialogues was the best she's done in the series. Who cares about anything else. I really hope she's heavily involved with this, but somehow I don't think she is - which is the one thing that worries me about this game a bit. I don't think ND has a cache of great character writers at their disposal. It's just her really.

NeoUltima

I can't really think of a game off the top of my head that goes along with this model. Besides, there are different ways they could go about doing that.
Its all, of course, baseless speculation at this point.
Parts of the first two Acts of MGS4 come to mind. (though obviously mgs4 is more action-oriented than this will probably be)

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
AA is tiny though. If this is really a cross-state adventure story, I don't know how they can do open world. At "most open," it would be linear with branching paths or secret places to explore. They could do something on the scale of San Andreas, but why? It doesn't make any sense for a game about survival.
L4D and RE4 come to mind. They do progress linear, but both still feel fairly open in terms of approach.

I think a good way to explain this is RE4's start. You start with a script event, and work your way down a linear path. Come to a tower and its a playground for you to move around in. Find bonuses items, barricade yourself in, fuck around in a high spot or fight in the center. It all works. Then its back to funneling you through smaller sequences, but opens up again. Secret paths and slightly different routes to take along the way. They include scripted events, but never overburden you with them.

I do think this is ideally what they should aim for. It rewards the player for paying more attention to their surroundings, while still directing them. For example, the initial building they are in. Instead of having the typical, all routes are locked other than the one they are supposed to go through except for the one secret room. Open them up. Throw more items around, more enemies, etc. Let the player find a dead end or two. You can still direct them, but giving them just enough room to explore changes the feeling completely.

PerZona

Didn't expect that ND would develop a survival horror game, but i am really interested in this game after watching the trailer!

I don't care if zombies are overdone or what i just want a proper survival horror game (unlike L4D, Dead Island, Dead Rising, Resident Evil 5) and the trailer looks like the perfect survival horror game that i am waiting for. And it's by Naughty Dogs, i have 100% faith in them that this game would be amazing just like their Uncharted franchise.

Oh and the trailer gives me the I am Legend vibe when the camera focus to the city area, amazing. Will be definitely looking forward to this game! And hope that they will show gameplay videos next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom