• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us (Naughty Dog): Hold One Second

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoUltima

Awesome news on the composer wow.

This quote:

"He picks and chooses what he works on; he could work on all these big movies. We brought him in here, showed him the game, walked him through the whole story and what we're trying to do, and he said 'I want to be a part of this'."

Makes me hype.

Do zombie games ever bomb? Left 4 Dead and Dead Island both did extraordinarily well. If Sony markets this well, it could end up even bigger than Uncharted.

It's weird how I saw Uncharted basically everywhere on tv before it's release and AC:Revelations only in like one NBA game and AC still outsold it by a wide margin. Drake just wasn't one of those a-typical video game protagonist I guess.

This game looks unconventional for a zombie game, so Naughty Dog might make another masterpiece that is market to death but with little mass appeal. I really hope I am wrong though.

It's weird how I saw Uncharted basically everywhere on tv before it's release and AC:Revelations only in like one NBA game and AC still outsold it by a wide margin. Drake just wasn't one of those a-typical video game protagonist I guess.

AC sold 1.2m across 3 platforms and Uncharted 3 sold 700k on one.

KingK

awesome gustavo is awesome

is this game a 2012 title?

Nobody knows yet. But UC2 premiered at the 2008 VGAs and released in fall 2009. UC3 premiered at the 2010 VGAs and released in fall 2011. Considering that, and the fact that they've been working on the game for 2 years already, it would make sense to be a Fall 2012 game. Probably Sony's big fall game for next year (along with something from Santa Monica hopefully).

I think someone should dare to do things differently in this market. Everyone sticks to the same cookie cutter ideas. There's nothing wrong with controversial topics as long as they are handled correctly. Damn I wish I was a game developer, I would make some award winning shit or I would atleast like to be a writer. And that tampon idea lol as outrageous as it sounds is totally plausible and isn't crazy at all. I like to think gamers are mature and intelligent and that they'd be able to handle a short segment in a game that had that tampon scenario. I hate it when movies assume the audience are idiots so why should games do the same?

It's not the idea of zombies following the scent of a girl's menstruation blood that is crazy, it's the idea of using tampons as a power-up in a videogame. Only as a joke in a game like Saints Row or something could this ever be done.

Squire

Banned
In the case that the embargo is the same for online and print (just OPM UK in this case) does the end of January really make sense? I know Christmas is coming and people are somewhat distracted, but today is only the 12th. I mean, damn.

MDX

Whats up with that Skull & Bones reference on the wall?

6484011965_daeb245f63_o.png

AC sold 1.2m across 3 platforms and Uncharted 3 sold 700k on one.

PC version isn't counted in NPD because it came out too late I think, and AC: Revelations came out much later in the month so the fact that the even on console it already reach UC3 total sale numbers is something.

I'll happily eat crow on the short gap in sales though.

Regardless, UC3 marketing budget seemed insane. I was seeing Billboards left and right. I saw the word Skyrim as much as Uncharted on any give day in early november. It just didn't feel like the sales reflect the marketing.

I kind of hope its first person just so Naughty Dog can litter the world with old newspapers and hints about how the world fell apart that aren't really achievable in third person.

Ricky_R

I kind of hope its first person just so Naughty Dog can litter the world with old newspapers and hints about how the world fell apart that aren't really achievable in third person.

I can live without newspapers and shit... Just give me dose animations in third person.

That's not really how they roll though. This will be a more cinematic experience, you might see glimpses but I bet it will be done in cutscenes.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
It's not the idea of zombies following the scent of a girl's menstruation blood that is crazy, it's the idea of using tampons as a power-up in a videogame. Only as a joke in a game like Saints Row or something could this ever be done.

Its not a powerup it would be a way of eliminating their ability to track her. Realistically she'll have her period, she's a teen also with a day and night cycle (if there was one) days would pass it'd be odd for her not to have that occur. But by that same logic we'd also have to have our characters shit and piss so I will concede that it should not be in the game.

That's not really how they roll though. This will be a more cinematic experience, you might see glimpses but I bet it will be done in cutscenes.

I don't know why people say this, the Uncharted games have been pretty light on cutscenes. Only used to express specific character interactions (namely facial animations) that can't be done in the regular banter. You watch the Uncharted making-ofs and you come to realise they try to put everything they can into gameplay (including stuff that would have always been cutscenes before like capsizing ships)

But having a first person view would open up alot of what you'd miss in their character interactions from a third person view

Mikey Jr.

This game looks unconventional for a zombie game, so Naughty Dog might make another masterpiece that is market to death but with little mass appeal. I really hope I am wrong though.

4.Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (360) UBISOFT ~ 718K
7.Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (PS3) UBISOFT ~ 425K

Uncharted 3 - 700k

700k = bomba

monocromo

People are going to kill me for the reference... but with Santaolalla on board...

Oscar wothy soundtrack.

He is so fucking amazing.

AAK

i dunno man, Sony could be letting them make a game they really want to make. they are the most important studio to them, after all. they've probably been burnt out a little bit making the Uncharted trilogy.... would make sense for Sony to allow them to make (almost) whatever they want now.

Personally I doubt it, Sony put pressure on ND to make realistic style games rather than the fantasy style they were known for with Crash & Jak. So TLOU definitely looks like another realistic & gritty IP demanded by Sony in my opinion rather than originating solely from the minds at ND.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Personally I doubt it, Sony put pressure on ND to make realistic style games rather than the fantasy style they were known for with Crash & Jak. So TLOU definitely looks like another realistic & gritty IP demanded by Sony in my opinion rather than originating solely from the minds at ND.

If Sony pushed ND into an M rating... then I think we need to send them a fruit basket and thank you card.

But I get the feeling ND is doing something they want to do.

It don't have to be in first person for that stuff .
The hint in UC is proof of that .

Plus i think seeing the chars in 3rd person really help when you see them work together and get to like them more IMO.

I don't know why people say this, the Uncharted games have been pretty light on cutscenes. Only used to express specific character interactions (namely facial animations) that can't be done in the regular banter. You watch the Uncharted making-ofs and you come to realise they try to put everything they can into gameplay (including stuff that would have always been cutscenes before like capsizing ships)

But having a first person view would open up alot of what you'd miss in their character interactions from a third person view

You're right, a lot of story will probably be told in-game, but still. No way it's 1st-person, sorry. The emphasis is clearly on those two characters, and you will see them while you play. I guarantee you.

Globox_82

Banned
That doesn't include bunldes. Uncharted did very well in America in November, will possibly be in the Top 10 again in December.

Really? I didn't know that, awesome if true.

no way, I prefer they keep the blackout for more suspense

Same here bro

If Sony pushed ND into an M rating... then I think we need to send them a fruit basket and thank you card.

Agree. Regardless if Sony let them or they wanted it, to go for M rated game this late in generation is very very risky.

Himself

no way, I prefer they keep the blackout for more suspense

All I want to know: Third or first person and is it actually a survival horror game (like early Resident Evil/Silent Hill) or just an action game with gory/screaming enemies (Resident Evil 5, Dead Space 2).

Than I'm out till I open the game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Another update from TTP: no gameplay shown and no real talk of how it'll play. Mostly about the characters, goals, and scope of the game.

Globox_82

Banned
This is one of those times I am glad to be wrong.

UC should be up there in sales with Halo.

Well there are no monsters or space marines in it, so I think Uncharted is doing great.

Let's not forget that each game has had drastic leap in sales AND PAL market must be even bigger for Uncharted IP. Also it doesn't sell badly in Japan around 200k life time for U2. This one might cross 250k.

Another update from TTP: no gameplay shown and no real talk of how it'll play. Mostly about the characters, goals, and scope of the game.

Damn, the scope of the game is interesting but I really wanted more info about how it would have played, oh well, I have patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom