• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part I - is available now on PC

Draugoth

Gold Member

Coming to PC for the first time, experience the emotional storytelling and unforgettable characters in The Last of Us™, winner of over 200 Game of the Year awards. In a ravaged civilization, where infected and hardened survivors run rampant, Joel, a weary protagonist, is hired to smuggle 14-year-old Ellie out of a military quarantine zone. However, what starts as a small job soon transforms into a brutal cross-country journey. Available now on Steam and the Epic Games Store.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'm still thinking if getting it, I'm tight with money and don't want to spend on 32 GB of RAM right now, hope 16 GB is enough for 2K despite what it says on requirements

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Incredible remake and game. The best way to play it. They really shat the bed with the marketing.

copying over my post from the PC OT:

Incredible game.

But the remake is really a game you have to play to appreciate. Its fucking fantastic. I was underwhelmed by the visuals at first because their marketing did an abysmal job showcasing the game. But the game looked amazing when I played it. Right up there with HFW for top visuals last year.

And they brought in the improved gore from TLOU 2 into Part 1. Makes Joel feel even more badass. As well as enemies begging for their lives when down and out. They didn't even mention that in any of their marketing videos. The gunplay is also top. tier.

This will be an incredible experience on a decked out PC, I expect to see some screenshots shortly.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
Incredible remake and game. The best way to play it. They really shat the bed with the marketing.

copying over my post from the PC OT:
Those trailers don't give the impression it is a PS5 game. Looks very similar to TLOU2, or even TLOU1 on PS3 (but perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me).

Buggy Loop

Awaiting performance reports (Sony's first few weeks of their ports had some issues, eventually they're fixed, good job Sony)

And what do the ultra settings provide differently than the baseline.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Am I retarded, or is it graphic options limited to motion blur option and resolution scaling?

Poppyseed

Preliminary thoughts based on the MAIN MENU! (LOL). At maximum settings at 4K (no DLSS) on a 13700K + 4090, the menus say it will use 16GB VRAM. There's a wealth of options in the graphics settings - very impressive. Also, it's building shaders on the main menu which will take quite a few minutes since it's been going a couple of minutes already and is at 16%.

So far, this looks good. HAPPY to wait for shader compilation if there's no stutter in game...

More soon...

(PS DualSense support is there for haptics triggers)

Last edited:

Represent.

So, where will the next Naughty Dog development adventure take us? Rest assured, PlayStation and PC players, we’re already looking forward to sharing more, whether you prefer a DualSense controller or a keyboard and mouse. Developing for both platforms empowers us to incorporate lessons learned from either into the overall design of our games. Sharing our stories and experiences on PS5 as well as PC is something that Naughty Dog has embraced and will continue to support moving forward.

This paragraph confirms 2 things for me:

1. Factions is launching on PS5/PC day 1.

2. They are done with cross gen trash. They go out of their way to mention PS5 multiple times, never PS4. I was worried Factions 2 would be on PS4. No longer.

Amen.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
DF can't even read the systems requirements.
It has the Iron Galaxy icon right there.
Because the requirements page was updated. It initially listed an RX 5800 XT. The new page listed the correct 5700 XT and added a few things, including Iron Galaxy's logo.

winjer

Gold Member
Because the requirements page was updated. It initially listed an RX 5800 XT. The new page listed the correct 5700 XT and added a few things, including Iron Galaxy's logo.

But that only means that DF doesn't have inside knowledge about this port development.
They have the same source as any of us on this forum.

Gaiff

But that only means that DF doesn't have inside knowledge about this port development.
They have the same source as any of us on this forum.
Don't think they do or claimed they did. Seems they're getting the game the same time as everyone else. There was no pre-release coverage or interviews like with Spidey or GOW.

On the main menu while still building shaders (28% now after around 6-7 mins) it's using 19GB RAM for me.
Oh wow, it would be great to know if it only needs to build these shaders once (I’m assuming so) or if it’s like Hogwarts Legacy and loads them in every time. Hogwarts didn’t take very long to do that which was good.

Looks like I’ll be grabbing more RAM sooner rather than later then!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This paragraph confirms 2 things for me:

1. Factions is launching on PS5/PC day 1.

2. They are done with cross gen trash. They go out of their way to mention PS5 multiple times, never PS4. I was worried Factions 2 would be on PS4. No longer.

Amen.
Herman already confirmed that all GaaS titles will launch on PC on day one.

Factions was definitely a PS4 title. They might drop support for it a la TLOU Part 1 because of lack of sales but it was designed as a PS4 game from day one.

Poppyseed

Oh wow, it would be great to know if it only needs to build these shaders once (I’m assuming so) or if it’s like Hogwarts Legacy and loads them in every time. Hogwarts didn’t take very long to do that which was good.

Will update soon on that. Now at 32% on the shaders. This is by far the longest I've ever seen any game build shaders. It's absolutely worth it if it solves the stutters, of course.

Stuart360

Think i'll def pick this up. Loved the first game, and it was actually the last console game i ever bought (on PS3) before going PC only.
Kind of glad right now that i never played the remaster on PS4.

winjer

Gold Member
A few people are complaining about crashes, very heavy shader compilation and very high vram usage.
From the guru3d forums:

It keeps crashing after a few seconds. I have already checked the integrity of the game cache and disabled oc but it still crashes.

Not a good start dear ND.

VRAM usage is super high. Multiple crashes, building the shader cache takes ages etc.
Not a good start, nope

Disabling the e-core on my 13900KF seems to work but oh gosh, I have never seen a shader compilation like this. I feel like my cpu is being raped...

Seems like another shit port from Iron galaxy.

Will update soon on that. Now at 32% on the shaders. This is by far the longest I've ever seen any game build shaders. It's absolutely worth it if it solves the stutters, of course.
Absolutely agreed with you on the stutters. I’d rather it took an hour once than stutter like crazy during gameplay. Looking forward to reading your thoughts.

If you get time, could you perhaps let us know your specs, settings and the kind of performance you get?

SlimySnake

Upgraded to 32 GB for Hogwarts and it definitely helped with the stutters. In RT, RAM usage would go up to 25GB lmao. With RT turned off, its around 20-21. Thats on top of the VRAM usage which hovers around 8GB. Even RE4 goes above 16GB in some spots. I was pretty surprised considering its a linear game compared to Hogwarts. I almost want to go back and try other games to see if it makes a difference. Sadly no performance increase. Just fixes stuttering.

I have no idea how these games are running on consoles with their 13 GB of Total RAM.

kyliethicc

Considering this port was done by Iron galaxy, it's best to wait for reviews.
This studio has a talent for screwing up ports and never fixing things.
Here's a blog post by Naughty Dog's VP saying they did this port internally.

"As we began development in-house, we wanted PC players to experience an amazing story that truly lasts the test of time while maintaining the equally high-quality bar across both PC and PlayStation consoles."

SlimySnake

A few people are complaining about crashes, very heavy shader compilation and very high vram usage.
From the guru3d forums:

Shit. If shader compilation is taking an hour and the CPU is maxed out for an hour, it might kill the CPU like those 3080 Tis running Diablo right?

I had this issue in Fortnite. For some reason, the first map took forever to load and it had my CPU running at 100% 188 Watts and went up to 85 degrees. It never goes above 60 watts in games. This happened for a good 3-5 minutes. I was starting to get worried, but then it loaded. Must have been doing shader compilation now that I think about it.

An hour on a 13900k is fucking nuts. I was going to install it but now im going to wait. Dont want my CPU dying.

Poppyseed

Absolutely agreed with you on the stutters. I’d rather it took an hour once than stutter like crazy during gameplay. Looking forward to reading your thoughts.

If you get time, could you perhaps let us know your specs, settings and the kind of performance you get?
Yes. Actually, my UPS just completely died while doing this, - the whole process on the main menu is hitting my GPU + CPU at full blast! Computer fully shut off, grrr!

Anyway, specs are 13700K, 4090, 32GB DDR4-something or other (3600 I think). Thankfully the shaders aren't having to start from scratch in the rebuild, but a bit concerned about the power consumption while it's doing it!

Gaiff

From the guru3d forums:

Let's wait for reputable sources to come forward. PC gamers are often dumb as rocks. People on the Steam forums are bitching about CPU usage while the game is compiling the shaders.

I'll probably give it a go later today on my 4090 and 2080 Ti rigs.

Gaiff

Well, let's hope my 13900K's 360mm cooler holds up during the shader compliation stage.

Stuart360

Upgraded to 32 GB for Hogwarts and it definitely helped with the stutters. In RT, RAM usage would go up to 25GB lmao. With RT turned off, its around 20-21. Thats on top of the VRAM usage which hovers around 8GB. Even RE4 goes above 16GB in some spots. I was pretty surprised considering its a linear game compared to Hogwarts. I almost want to go back and try other games to see if it makes a difference. Sadly no performance increase. Just fixes stuttering.

I have no idea how these games are running on consoles with their 13 GB of Total RAM.
RE4 doesnt give the true vram usage to be honest.
The game uses around 7-7.5gb vram on my PC (1080ti with 11gb vram), yet in the settings its saying like 12gb vram usage or soemthing like that.

Also, and i know its blasphemy to say this with some PC users, but i play on a 60hz tv, so i play games at vsync 60fps. Most of these AAA games are console ports on PC, and using console like settings (60fps) negates a lot of these problems people have with recent PC ports (loading stutter, crashing, etc). At least for me and my PC anyway.

RagnarokIV

Yes. Actually, my UPS just completely died while doing this, - the whole process on the main menu is hitting my GPU + CPU at full blast! Computer fully shut off, grrr!

Anyway, specs are 13700K, 4090, 32GB DDR4-something or other (3600 I think). Thankfully the shaders aren't having to start from scratch in the rebuild, but a bit concerned about the power consumption while it's doing it!
Shit son, now I'm concerned.

winjer

Gold Member
Let's wait for reputable sources to come forward. PC gamers are often dumb as rocks. People on the Steam forums are bitching about CPU usage while the game is compiling the shaders.

I'll probably give it a go later today on my 4090 and 2080 Ti rigs.

The people on the Guru3D forum, can teach tech to most professional reviewers.

Represent.

Herman already confirmed that all GaaS titles will launch on PC on day one.

Factions was definitely a PS4 title. They might drop support for it a la TLOU Part 1 because of lack of sales but it was designed as a PS4 game from day one.
True. Design was definitely done with PS4 in mind. Lets hope they cancelled it regardless, just because. Hopefully after scrapping the PS4 version they were able to continue on with a little more ambition in mind. Who knows

Have you played TLOU Part 1 already?
Think i'll def pick this up. Loved the first game, and it was actually the last console game i ever bought (on PS3) before going PC only.
In for a treat, fantastic remake.

Gaiff

The people on the Guru3D forum, can teach tech to most professional reviewers.
Absolutely, only the good ones though which isn't everyone. But now more reports are coming in and it ain't looking good lol.

Poppyseed

Shit son, now I'm concerned.
Yeah not great. NEVER had my PC shut off (though it wasn't the PC, but the UPS I've got it connected to - root of the issue). Saw a max of about 800W in power draw just on the main menu + shader compilation. Crazy.

Shaders compiled! Latter half took less time than first half, that's for sure. Now, initial load into the game is LONG. Like, really long. Just bear this in mind... Still using around 18GB RAM, and 14GB VRAM now in game.

Voice sync is about perfect, - no stutters during the opening cutscene, running at around 70-100fps maxed at 4K with no DLSS (again, 13700K+4090). CPU sits around the 20-40% range of usage with GPU pegged at about 100%.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I was very surprised by how well the game looked on PS4 despite its last gen roots, but by the time the PS4 Pro came out, i couldnt stand the last gen lighting and character models. I think Uncharted 4 had set the bar and it no longer looked good despite running at native 4k 60 fps.

It was one of the first games I took a screenshot for way back in 2014 using the PS4 screenshare feature.

CmP_4syWcAAeWgm

CmP_kT_WIAAmn18

Top Bottom