• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part I - is available now on PC

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
i wonder what percentage of people who actually decided to pay 60$ for this actually have never played the game before? i can't imagine there's too many people into these kinds of games who hadn't played it already on playstation.
There's a lot of PC enthusiasts that don't waste their money on overpriced gimped versions of computers.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
technically ND didn't handle the port but are cleaning it up now. it was Iron Galaxy that did the work. not that it makes it ok for the issues
This is just not true. It was naughty dogs game from beginning. They have confirmed it numerous times on the ps blog and to journalists.

Needlecrash

I put more time in the game. I hadn't had a single crash yet. Have to run the game on DLSS at 1440p, yet outputting 4k on my 4k monitor. Most settings are set to high with Medium for some settings.

This game is poorly optimized though. Such a VRAM monster. However, I'm getting around 65fps, not too bad. The micro stuttering needs to go though. Shit is annoying. Shaders took 25 minutes to install.

Solid port so far, just needs more patches and tweaks.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

89e.jpg

Thaedolus

Gold Member
"I have a PS5, but I'll wait a year for the superior PC version to release".

Oof.
I don't think anyone would've foreseen a company like ND putting out such a rough launch version, though the delay maybe was a tip of the hand that something was wrong. No regrets getting the PS5 version day one, or waiting for the PC version to get fixed/discounted/me to build a new rig with a better CPU to meet all the specs.

Buggy Loop

SO FNUNNY!!

Spongebob Squarepants Laughing GIF

Can't even finish a sentence without chuckling like a kid for his PC trolling.

tHiS Is aNoThEr tHiNg tHaT MiGhT BlOw yOuR MiNd! ThIs iS A CoNtRoLlEr. AbOuT 50 yEaRs oR So eVeRyBoDy sAiD "mAn, KeYbOaRdS AnD MoUsE, tHaT'S No wAy tO PlAy vIdEoGaMeS, sO LeT'S MaKe a cOnTrOlLeR... sO YoU CaN PlAy lIkE A GrOwN Up"

Mocking Spongebob Squarepants GIF

Last edited:

SlimySnake

His joke was very funny tbh,
PC nerds are always giving it, got to take it once in a while.

Also does this game have RT? I’m almost certain it doesn’t but the reflections are sublime.
They call them real time reflections in the settings . Could be their take on ray traced reflections.

I don't think anyone would've foreseen a company like ND putting out such a rough launch version, though the delay maybe was a tip of the hand that something was wrong. No regrets getting the PS5 version day one, or waiting for the PC version to get fixed/discounted/me to build a new rig with a better CPU to meet all the specs.
ND didn't do the port.

SlimySnake

Iron Galaxy did the port. Are you going to debate straight up facts?
This shit keeps coming up and its straight up annoying.

Lets hope this post is threadmarked or stickied because we need to stop throwing iron galaxy under the bus over Naughty Dog's own fuck up.

Digital Foundry themselves confirmed this in last week's DF direct. Developers from Iron Galaxy themselves said that they didnt do the development. There were quotes flying around the day of the launch. Steam page was updated to remove Iron Galaxy from the last of us store page even though they are still credited on the Uncharted store page which was their port.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
This shit keeps coming up and its straight up annoying.

Lets hope this post is threadmarked or stickied because we need to stop throwing iron galaxy under the bus over Naughty Dog's own fuck up.

Digital Foundry themselves confirmed this in last week's DF direct. Developers from Iron Galaxy themselves said that they didnt do the development. There were quotes flying around the day of the launch. Steam page was updated to remove Iron Galaxy from the last of us store page even though they are still credited on the Uncharted store page which was their port.

Thanks for the confirmation, even thought ND already confirmed it as well.

TBF considering it's essentially Naughty Dogs first PC game I'm not surprised there is issues. It's just a shame they didn't just delay it a couple of months.

It's never worth releasing an unpolished product and Naughty Dog never do on PlayStation.

What's done is done though so now it just needs to be fixed as fast as possible and also when Part 2 and Factions come out on PC they need to release in a much better state.

Braag

I just played for 2 hours. Got to the point where you meet Marlene and slightly forward from there.
I ran it everything on Ultra at 1440p and DLSS off.
No crashes or bugs so far and framerate has been steady at 60fps where I locked it.
I'm running it on 3090 and i7-13700K with 32GB RAM.

Maybe it'll turn into a mess later on but so far I haven't had issues. The shader compilation took much longer than any other game though and my PC was pretty much running full blast when it was compiling, so playing the game was almost impossible during that time.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I hope that in the end it’s a learning experience for Naughty Dog, and they're better equipped for Part 2.

Last edited:

yamaci17

here's a small guide I made to make 16 gb RAM/8 GB VRAM work at 4k/dlss (1440p will be even easier due to lower quality/lower res buffers+LODs+assets). if you have the patience and willpower like me, you can make this work. I made it work.

RAM and VRAM situation

- 16 GB RAM is at its limits in this game. Acknowledge this.

- Forget multitasking while playing games like this and Hogwarts Legacy. Don't open a CHROMIUM browser while playing. Use Steam's built in overlay browser to do basic searching if you really have to. Don't open Chromium based browsers while playing the game!

- Make sure you have the least possible idle VRAM usage. Go to your task manager, open Details, right click the column and select "Select columns". There; tick "Dedicated GPU memory". Then sort the apps by their dedicated gpu memory usage. This is practically a list of programs that use VRAM. Toubleshoot here; turn off unnecessary applications that use VRAM, such as, Epic games launcher, Ubisoft launcher, Battle.net launcher and so on.

- Disable "hardware accerelation" for Steam. You can find this setting in Steam's settings (disable hardware accerelation for web views). This will help you save around CRUCIAL 300-500 MB VRAM depending on the occasion. Do not sleep on this, even that amount can be crucial. Make sure to disable "animated avatars and frames" in Friends settings as well. Do be warned: Steam will work off on CPU and it might appear laggy when you browse store/profiles. It's a compromise. However it won't affect CPU performance as long as Steam is minimized to taskbar.

- If you intent to keep your 8 GB GPU like me, just do not turn on hardware accerelation and get used to the laggy app. There's no two ways about it. These add up. Steam's VRAM usage amplifies with Windows's desktop compositor. Together they take the last bit amount of VRAM that is required to make the game run smooth.

- Kill dwm.exe before you launch the game (it will restart itself, no worries. you cannot completely kill compositor. but restarting will reduce leaked vram usage). This should allow some excess VRAM used by Windows DWM to be reduced.

- Uninstall Widgets if you're on W11. This will get you another 80-150 MB depending on widgets' whim. Open Powershell with admin prompts, use this code; "winget uninstall windows web experience pack" This will uninstall Widgets function of Windows 11. If you're not using it, it is safe to uninstall it. If you don't, it will always run in the background using some amount of VRAM because it is accerelated by GPU. It is up to you.

- If you did everything possible, your IDLE vram usage at 1080p should be around 200-300 mb, at 1440p around 300-400 mb, and at 4K, should be around 500-600 mb. Y

For 16 GB RAM, it is simple. Do not open anything other than game launcher. Use RAMMAP64 to clean Working Set and Standby memory of other apps. You may keep Discord open, as long as you disable hardware accerelation for it as well.

This will put your idle RAM usage to 2-2.5 GB. Then, TLOU1 can freely allocate 12.5-13 GB RAM and run smoothly. This is important because game offloads a lot of VRAM data to RAM, so it is crucial to have extra free RAM available.

Setttings you can tweak to reduce VRAM usage without destroying image / texture quality;

- Use "High" preset as a baseline if you have a 2070 and above

- Use DLSS performance at 4K or DLSS quality at 1440p.

- You can reduce "Geometry" settings to Medium. This is hit and miss

- Dynamic objects level of detail: Medium

- Visual effects texture quality: Low (yes, fire will look jank. there's nothing I can do about it. only way to stop engine from spazzing out is to make sure the VRAM meter has a YELLOW colour instead of RED colour. only way to get 4k/1440p to have yellow coloured VRAM usage with high textures is to reduce visual effects quality.)

- Ambient shadows quality: Quarter resolution

- Directional shadow resolution: Medium

- Refraction quality: Half resolution

- Volumetrics effect quality: Low

- Lens flare: Half resolution

Frame Capping

-- If you have a VRR screen; use a frame cap of 40 or 50 if you have a CPU worse than 5600x. This will minimize streaming stutters. Experiment with both. CPUs below 5600x will often be limited near 50-60 FPS and VRAM-RAM streaming will also have a lot of microstutters. A huge portion of these stutters are alleviated with a framecap.

-- If you don't have a VRR screen; you can download https://github.com/Orbmu2k/nvidiaProfileInspector/releases

If you have a 60 hz screen, and if you can't hold a locked 60, you can use 1/2 Vsync + 30 FPS limiter through NVCP. This is practically one of the best 30 FPS lock methods I've discovered over the years. Give it a try. If you can't hit 60 FPS but don't like to play at 30 FPS, I really have no idea what to suggest. You have to endure tearing, I'd have to guess.

If you have a 120/144 hz screen you have A LOT OF options.

120 hz - 1/3Vsync - 40 FPS cap

144 hz - 1/3 Vsync - 48 FPS cap

100 hz - 1/2 Vsync - 50 FPS cap

144 hz - 1/4 Vsync - 36 FPS cap

I personally use 1/3 Vsync + 40 FPS cap + 120 hz. Game looks amazingly smooth this way. Similar to 40 FPS modes found on consoles. Stutters are minimized and almost extinct.

Final extreme measure (optional)

here's a set of codes that will kill explorer.exe and other stuff that takes a bit of VRAM. Have Steam as an active window. run the batch. it will kill Explorer, and other Windows stuff, and then restart dwm.exe. THIS gets you the the peak idle VRAM usage.

Prepare a batch code with;

taskkill /f /im explorer.exe

taskkill /f /im dwm.exe

taskkill /f /im textinputhost.exe

taskkill /f /im searchhost.exe

taskkill /f /im startmenuexperience.exe

taskkill /f /im dwm.exe

I will share my results later on with a video. I can get game to use literally 7.65 GB RAW VRAM usage. This way I can use settings that supposedly need 1.6 GB+ 7.6 GB (with optimized settings I shared) and get a smooth operation at 4K/DLSS or 1440p native/1440p DLSS.

This is not to promote the bad state of the game. 8 GB VRAM is jank people. I cannot blame developers completely. Only blame I can put on them is jank textures with medium texture setting. Bad scaling, practically. But this is a solution, for those who want to push things like me.

I hope they retexture medium settings. Being shy of 1-1.5 GB budget of PS5 should not force you to super horrible low res textures. But this has always been the case with lastgen PC ports. This is why I always questioned how Series S would function. "Scale the textures, simmer down" does not work always, such as in this game. However, 8 GB is at a place where you can push things a get that sweet textures. But you really need to compromise on multitask ability. U might say get a console at that point but eh, I'm stuck with whatever I'm. So before you come at me with "what u doing bro get out of here bro get a console bro"; this guide is for people who are stuck with what they have and wants a solution.

Once you get the hang of these tricks, they become second nature for broken ports like this. I'm really used to them, or rather, I'm used to pushing things beyond what casual users could. When most 8 GB users were tapped out at 1440p in Cyberpunk with ray tracing, I made 4K/raytracing a thing with these tricks. Its up to you. Its not that hard or complicated once you get the hang of it.

Final words: if you do half of these stuff for 10 gigs, game will be a cakewalk to run. its really 8 gb where u gotta go extremes.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Three things are required to have great time with this PC game:

- decent PC
- decent amount of RAM and properly setup swap file
- patience to let shader compilation finish

2 hours played, no crashes, no bugs, no issues, stable 60fps.
Yeah, outside of that controller issue, which I had, which is one of the most bizarre bugs I've ever encountered (reWASD saved me), it is really stable. But I have enough RAM and PC to power through it, I guess.

OZ9000

Banned
here's a small guide I made to make 16 gb RAM/8 GB VRAM work at 4k/dlss (1440p will be even easier due to lower quality/lower res buffers+LODs+assets). if you have the patience and willpower like me, you can make this work. I made it work.

RAM and VRAM situation

- 16 GB RAM is at its limits in this game. Acknowledge this.

- Forget multitasking while playing games like this and Hogwarts Legacy. Don't open a CHROMIUM browser while playing. Use Steam's built in overlay browser to do basic searching if you really have to. Don't open Chromium based browsers while playing the game!

- Make sure you have the least possible idle VRAM usage. Go to your task manager, open Details, right click the column and select "Select columns". There; tick "Dedicated GPU memory". Then sort the apps by their dedicated gpu memory usage. This is practically a list of programs that use VRAM. Toubleshoot here; turn off unnecessary applications that use VRAM, such as, Epic games launcher, Ubisoft launcher, Battle.net launcher and so on.

- Disable "hardware accerelation" for Steam. You can find this setting in Steam's settings (disable hardware accerelation for web views). This will help you save around CRUCIAL 300-500 MB VRAM depending on the occasion. Do not sleep on this, even that amount can be crucial. Make sure to disable "animated avatars and frames" in Friends settings as well. Do be warned: Steam will work off on CPU and it might appear laggy when you browse store/profiles. It's a compromise. However it won't affect CPU performance as long as Steam is minimized to taskbar.

- If you intent to keep your 8 GB GPU like me, just do not turn on hardware accerelation and get used to the laggy app. There's no two ways about it. These add up. Steam's VRAM usage amplifies with Windows's desktop compositor. Together they take the last bit amount of VRAM that is required to make the game run smooth.

- Kill dwm.exe before you launch the game (it will restart itself, no worries. you cannot completely kill compositor. but restarting will reduce leaked vram usage). This should allow some excess VRAM used by Windows DWM to be reduced.

- Uninstall Widgets if you're on W11. This will get you another 80-150 MB depending on widgets' whim. Open Powershell with admin prompts, use this code; "winget uninstall windows web experience pack" This will uninstall Widgets function of Windows 11. If you're not using it, it is safe to uninstall it. If you don't, it will always run in the background using some amount of VRAM because it is accerelated by GPU. It is up to you.

- If you did everything possible, your IDLE vram usage at 1080p should be around 200-300 mb, at 1440p around 300-400 mb, and at 4K, should be around 500-600 mb. Y

For 16 GB RAM, it is simple. Do not open anything other than game launcher. Use RAMMAP64 to clean Working Set and Standby memory of other apps. You may keep Discord open, as long as you disable hardware accerelation for it as well.

This will put your idle RAM usage to 2-2.5 GB. Then, TLOU1 can freely allocate 12.5-13 GB RAM and run smoothly. This is important because game offloads a lot of VRAM data to RAM, so it is crucial to have extra free RAM available.

Setttings you can tweak to reduce VRAM usage without destroying image / texture quality;

- Use "High" preset as a baseline if you have a 2070 and above

- Use DLSS performance at 4K or DLSS quality at 1440p.

- You can reduce "Geometry" settings to Medium. This is hit and miss

- Dynamic objects level of detail: Medium

- Visual effects texture quality: Low (yes, fire will look jank. there's nothing I can do about it. only way to stop engine from spazzing out is to make sure the VRAM meter has a YELLOW colour instead of RED colour. only way to get 4k/1440p to have yellow coloured VRAM usage with high textures is to reduce visual effects quality.)

- Ambient shadows quality: Quarter resolution

- Directional shadow resolution: Medium

- Refraction quality: Half resolution

- Volumetrics effect quality: Low

- Lens flare: Half resolution

Frame Capping

-- If you have a VRR screen; use a frame cap of 40 or 50 if you have a CPU worse than 5600x. This will minimize streaming stutters. Experiment with both. CPUs below 5600x will often be limited near 50-60 FPS and VRAM-RAM streaming will also have a lot of microstutters. A huge portion of these stutters are alleviated with a framecap.

-- If you don't have a VRR screen; you can download https://github.com/Orbmu2k/nvidiaProfileInspector/releases

If you have a 60 hz screen, and if you can't hold a locked 60, you can use 1/2 Vsync + 30 FPS limiter through NVCP. This is practically one of the best 30 FPS lock methods I've discovered over the years. Give it a try. If you can't hit 60 FPS but don't like to play at 30 FPS, I really have no idea what to suggest. You have to endure tearing, I'd have to guess.

If you have a 120/144 hz screen you have A LOT OF options.

120 hz - 1/3Vsync - 40 FPS cap

144 hz - 1/3 Vsync - 48 FPS cap

100 hz - 1/2 Vsync - 50 FPS cap

144 hz - 1/4 Vsync - 36 FPS cap

I personally use 1/3 Vsync + 40 FPS cap + 120 hz. Game looks amazingly smooth this way. Similar to 40 FPS modes found on consoles. Stutters are minimized and almost extinct.

Final extreme measure (optional)

here's a set of codes that will kill explorer.exe and other stuff that takes a bit of VRAM. Have Steam as an active window. run the batch. it will kill Explorer, and other Windows stuff, and then restart dwm.exe. THIS gets you the the peak idle VRAM usage.

Prepare a batch code with;

taskkill /f /im explorer.exe

taskkill /f /im dwm.exe

taskkill /f /im textinputhost.exe

taskkill /f /im searchhost.exe

taskkill /f /im startmenuexperience.exe

taskkill /f /im dwm.exe

I will share my results later on with a video. I can get game to use literally 7.65 GB RAW VRAM usage. This way I can use settings that supposedly need 1.6 GB+ 7.6 GB (with optimized settings I shared) and get a smooth operation at 4K/DLSS or 1440p native/1440p DLSS.

This is not to promote the bad state of the game. 8 GB VRAM is jank people. I cannot blame developers completely. Only blame I can put on them is jank textures with medium texture setting. Bad scaling, practically. But this is a solution, for those who want to push things like me.

I hope they retexture medium settings. Being shy of 1-1.5 GB budget of PS5 should not force you to super horrible low res textures. But this has always been the case with lastgen PC ports. This is why I always questioned how Series S would function. "Scale the textures, simmer down" does not work always, such as in this game. However, 8 GB is at a place where you can push things a get that sweet textures. But you really need to compromise on multitask ability. U might say get a console at that point but eh, I'm stuck with whatever I'm. So before you come at me with "what u doing bro get out of here bro get a console bro"; this guide is for people who are stuck with what they have and wants a solution.

Once you get the hang of these tricks, they become second nature for broken ports like this. I'm really used to them, or rather, I'm used to pushing things beyond what casual users could. When most 8 GB users were tapped out at 1440p in Cyberpunk with ray tracing, I made 4K/raytracing a thing with these tricks. Its up to you. Its not that hard or complicated once you get the hang of it.

Final words: if you do half of these stuff for 10 gigs, game will be a cakewalk to run. its really 8 gb where u gotta go extremes.

This seems like a lot of unnecessary work.

I have 32GB RAM on my PC so I presume I should be fine.

yamaci17

This seems like a lot of unnecessary work.

I have 32GB RAM on my PC so I presume I should be fine.

vram part still applies. most important. if u have a clean system, just disable hardware accel for steam if u run the game through steam.

do you know why some pirates reported better performance in hogwarts? now they do for last of us too. shall i explain? they do not run steam. they do not run anything. that crucial last bit of 400 mb vram literally saves the game from spazzing out in a lot instances.

as i said, push high preset, reduce setting that I've told about, disable hardware accel on steam, kill dwm.exe for safe measure, and enjoy your game at 1440p without framedrops hopefully

it is really not unecessary in my case. vram part is really necessary and allows stuff that i wouldnt be able to do . it is a very niche attempt I know

if u can get the game to use 7.5 gb DEDICATED (not total system) vram, game will run perfect with my settings at 1440p (1080p is a cakewalk)

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gamerevolution.com/guides/937783-iron-galaxy-nixxes-the-last-of-us-part-1-pc-port?am

"Given that Sony owns Nixxes Software, which has done PC ports of Marvel’s Spider-Man and Miles Morales, you might be surprised to find that this PC port for The Last of Us Part 1 was actually done by Iron Galaxy."
Do I trust Game Revolution, a web site that cites no sources, or Naughty Dog, the developers of The Last of Us Part 1 PC port who cite themselves as the developers of The Last of Us Part 1 PC Port? :pie_thinking:

3liteDragon

vram part still applies. most important. if u have a clean system, just disable hardware accel for steam if u run the game through steam.

do you know why some pirates reported better performance in hogwarts? now they do for last of us too. shall i explain? they do not run steam. they do not run anything. that crucial last bit of 400 mb vram literally saves the game from spazzing out in a lot instances.

as i said, push high preset, reduce setting that I've told about, disable hardware accel on steam, kill dwm.exe for safe measure, and enjoy your game at 1440p without framedrops hopefully

it is really not unecessary in my case. vram part is really necessary and allows stuff that i wouldnt be able to do . it is a very niche attempt I know

if u can get the game to use 7.5 gb DEDICATED (not total system) vram, game will run perfect with my settings at 1440p (1080p is a cakewalk)
What would happen if you try to do 1440p high with a card that has more than 8GB of VRAM but 16GB of system RAM instead of the recommended 32GB?

yamaci17

What would happen if you try to do 1440p high with a card that has more than 8GB of VRAM but 16GB of system RAM instead of the recommended 32GB?

that's very problematic. the more VRAM load you push, the higher RAM usage you will have. say you have a 16 gb vram card, and 16 gb ram, and you push ultra textures that fill up your VRAM up to 14 - 16 GB. you're done. dead.

This is what happens! Look at the Hogwarts part too. Insane performance drop.

The more VRAM your system uses, the more RAM will be needed. This is because of how PC functions sadly. You first need to load stuff to RAM, then to VRAM. This creates lots of duplicate data.

"
Digital Foundry: Being married to the consoles for a long time, with unified memory since PS4, were there systems that required serious reworking or rethinking to work on a split memory setup like found on PC?

Michiel Roza:
Yeah. I wouldn't say that it was a serious rethink, but there were definitely some challenges there. They actually use some read-back information, which we definitely need to copy stuff around [from system memory to video memory, for example] which they can just read [from unified memory on PlayStation]. But those are fairly minor changes. It's just an extra copy."

Now look at how tlou runs on my 16 gb compared to that video with my more modest, 8 gb vram oriented settings;

EkZVOdj.jpg
tEqfLRM.png

My Hogwarts also never ran that badly. That is literally unplayable.

Your VRAM and VRAM usage should be balanced. Ideally, your RAM should be 2x of your VRAM to be safe.

That's why 12/16 GB VRAM+32 RAM is good combo. But if you push settings that legit fill 24 GB VRAM buffer, even 32 GB RAM could end up problematic! Especially if you multitask a lot.

However 12 GB VRAM+16 GB RAM could be just enough. I don't know, you really have to try and see for yourself.

For me, game offloads around 4-5 GB of data to normal RAM as shared memory for GPU. Game uses a lot of RAM data by itself as well. So with more VRAM, maybe RAM usage would be tamer. But from the video, you can also see 16 GB RAM spazzes out with settings that fill 12+ GB VRAM. So most likely, it may end up problematic.

k_trout

3900x 32g ram 3070, and I'm getting average between 60 and mid 80s at 1440p, mix of settings. I was getting crashes every 10mins or so until I disabled "Hardware accelerated GPU scheduling" thanks to a suggestion on steam, 2 hour session there and no crashes.
Got to say the game is quite amazing, the pacing is perfect and it looks gorgeous, I get why people praise it.

Top Bottom