• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II - Enhanced Performance Patch | PS5 - Coming for free TODAY

kyliethicc

How does this work, is it always activated via menu or can one chose to use or not during the actual gameplay?
Go to extras and enable it (either via main menu or during the pause menu, both work.)

In gameplay, it's activated / deactivated by holding / releasing L2. Very fun.

eFoWSwj.jpg

Bartski

Gold Member
Go to extras and enable it (either via main menu or during the pause menu, both work.)

eFoWSwj.jpg

yeah this one is a bit too much IMO but I did switch to it in last chapters on Survivor+ 'cause I was getting demolished. The one I like better is in gameplay accessibility settings, works the same when set to on aim but is "softer"

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
The thing tlou2 doesn't get enough credit for is being a 20+ hour strictly linear game with that kind of great environmental and overall quality of production value throughout the whole game.

Uncharted 4 is a great game in those areas but it's simply not as large of scale as tlou2 is.

I've never played a 20+ hour strictly linear game (not semi open world) like tlou2 that maintains that type of quality, hand crafted dense feeling, variety, and detail throughout the lengthy experience. Can anyone name another game that has done that recently? The team really put their all into this game and it shows.

Agree, once I had cleared an area I would take my time to just walk around soaking up all the incredible attention to detail they put into the world, I'd check every room, peer through every window and it all felt real, hell there where some areas that existed just to give you some background as you quickly moved through it and they looked fantastic, that's why I'm really looking forward to TLOU remake done on this engine, there was so many incredible locales that will now get that ND next gen treatment and I can't wait to visit them all again

SSfox

TOU2 is super impressive (to say the least) but tech wise RDR2 is still the superior , the world is bigger and more open, and is alive and everything is interactive, either it's pnjs or animal. Without mentioning that RDR2 has day/night cycle and weather effects and cie, all in real time.

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
TOU2 is super impressive (to say the least) but tech wise RDR2 is still the superior , the world is bigger and more open, and is alive and everything is interactive, either it's pnjs or animal. Without mentioning that RDR2 has day/night cycle and weather effects and cie, all in real time.

Meh. The faces and clothes in RDR2 are really bad IMO. RDR2 looks like a fancy video game. TLOU2 is bordering in reality at times.

Kupfer

Nah..

In version 1.00 before downgrades, at least:

kW7O9mH.png

hxFVE7A.png

xPOZqUO.png

QB4MMc3.png

vQm3BIq.png

OEOXQyY.png

zs93XBF.png

NO4UAR1.png

scirkhT.png

cE1T5Rd.png

tQ4P9uY.png

9HKtaxB.png

yJHj8wp.png

hiQ3gok.png

kREXrBc.png

AiAENHp.png

Qxf8l6c.png

GJ9XfEl.png
I did play the game when it was released.
Did a drowngrade happen like in GTA5 when there was suddenly no tessalation on the PS4?
Any good comparison shots / videos out there?

Vesna

Neo Member
I was a bit worried they would not do a free upgrade. Does the game support adaptive triggers? Are they different for each weapon?

I haven't started playing yet, not sure if I'll like the game but I thought it was worth to get and see for myself. Not a big fan of Naughty Dog but I've enjoyed the ones I played. No special feelings to any of them so far but just solid games, maybe TLOU2 will be my favorite out of all they've made.

Vick

I did play the game when it was released.
Did a drowngrade happen like in GTA5 when there was suddenly no tessalation on the PS4?
Any good comparison shots / videos out there?
Oh yeah, multiple downgrades across the board.

AO, LOD management, light sources, lighting in general, wildlife patterns and who knows what else. It's a different game, visually and non. If you'd like to know more:

Had performance issues but now can be played flawlessly on PS5 and XSX.
In my opinion, RDR2 1.00 is the most impressive thing in gaming. But only that version.

Finally banned yay! Is it permanent?
Sadly, no.

Yoboman

Eh. RDR2 definitely gets the advantage of being open world but in terms of detail, animation, character models I think TLOU2 comes out ahead by a nose. In texture quality TLOU2 pulls out way ahead. There are certain scenes in RDR2 where that attention to detail feels up there with TLOU2 and there are certain moments in TLOU2 where the NPC density feels like it could fit in an open world

Both really seem to relish the same sort of attention to detail so it’s interesting to see how one gets applied to a dynamic open world and another to linear

Lighting is the interesting one. RDR2’s lighting just feels alive. TLOU2 is really great and does all sorts of crazy lighting tricks but it kind of falls apart in brighter open areas and always feels a bit static in the open environments

Where I think RDR2 massively fucks up is the HDR implementation. It is absolutely awful and it really does a disservice to the game. It’s really noticeable once I got a HDR TV and went back to RDR2 that it wasn’t using it righ

rofif

Banned

eFoWSwj.jpg
Thanks for reminding. I want to replay this so why not have some slow motion fun

Bartski

Gold Member
Are you guys experiencing any bugs?

I'm now in Hillcrest and have seen 4 or 5 this far related to asset and texture streaming. That's a lot after playing through the game twice last year on PS4Pro and seeing zero.

Kupfer

Are you guys experiencing any bugs?

I'm now in Hillcrest and have seen 4 or 5 this far related to asset and texture streaming. That's a lot after playing through the game twice last year on PS4Pro and seeing zero.
Not exactly bugs, but I noticed some LoD pop in which I didn't notice on the Pro last year.
BUT as I mentioned before, last time I played the game was when it released and back then I played it on a 42'' 1080p LED TV from 2013. Now I'm playing on 48'' 4k OLED, so I guess I just notice way more detail in general - even the bad details, like LoD pop in.
But it's not as bad as it may sound. I just really noticed it in the open area in Seattle, when you have a far view and can move freely.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Not exactly bugs, but I noticed some LoD pop in which I didn't notice on the Pro last year.
BUT as I mentioned before, last time I played the game was when it released and back then I played it on a 42'' 1080p LED TV from 2013. Now I'm playing on 48'' 4k OLED, so I guess I just notice way more detail in general - even the bad details, like LoD pop in.
But it's not as bad as it may sound. I just really noticed it in the open area in Seattle, when you have a far view and can move freely.
yeah there is plenty of model and texture swapping and pop-in in larger areas, but I guess it was the same on PS4. But now I've seen that happen up close, weird stuff like a piece of a wall despawning while it gets close to the edge of the camera view or a texture switching to a lower detailed one when you're getting closer.

J3nga

Once patch 1.08 for The Last of Us Part II is installed on your PS5, you will find a toggle in the Display options that allows you to choose between a Framerate Target of 30 FPS or 60 FPS. This allows you to choose your preferred framerate to complement the rest of the enhancements that are part of the PS5 backward compatibility with PS4 games, such as enhanced resolution, faster load times, and more.
But where is this "enhanced resolution"? 60 fps definitely makes gameplay better, but it looks like that all that has been done is unlocking the framerate. Why even mention it's free? Of course it should be free, mentioning that is cringy.

SSfox

I loved how rdr2 looked but tlou2, uc4 and death stranding faces are better I think
Oh yeah absolutely, if we are talking exclusively about face models TLOU2 is better, and also Uncharted 4 (that i sometimes think is even above tlou2), Death Stranding also has amazing characters models and face models, i was talking about the overall tech of the game, RDR2 has a lot going on and have much more interactivity level, and seeing a game at that level of details and graphics with so much stuffs around and everything in real time in just another level. While in TLOU2 it looks incredible but in a lot of place you are limited to walking and there isn't much going on around, i think we always need take into account those kind of things when comparing tech, because those kind of stuffs also have their part on the processing hardware.

Where I think RDR2 massively fucks up is the HDR implementation. It is absolutely awful and it really does a disservice to the game. It’s really noticeable once I got a HDR TV and went back to RDR2 that it wasn’t using it righ

Yeah HDR was bad on RDR2 PS4 pro, weirdly it didn't have same bug on Xbox One X, i'm not sure but i heard some saying HDR was fixed on RDR2 PS4 Pro.

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
Oh yeah absolutely, if we are talking exclusively about face models TLOU2 is better, and also Uncharted 4 (that i sometimes think is even above tlou2), Death Stranding also has amazing characters models and face models, i was talking about the overall tech of the game, RDR2 has a lot going on and have much more interactivity level, and seeing a game at that level of details and graphics with so much stuffs around and everything in real time in just another level. While in TLOU2 it looks incredible but in a lot of place you are limited to walking and there isn't much going on around, i think we always need take into account those kind of things when comparing tech, because those kind of stuffs also have their part on the processing hardware.

Yeah HDR was bad on RDR2 PS4 pro, weirdly it didn't have same bug on Xbox One X, i'm not sure but i heard some saying HDR was fixed on RDR2 PS4 Pro.

There is a lot more going on in the background than you may have noticed. In Jackson NPCs are going about their business, animals are scurrying, nearly every tree branch will realistically drop snow if you bump against it, etc.

THEAP99

Banned
It's happening because of the ps5 backwards compatibility.

Last edited:

TIGERCOOL

One is in gameplay accessibility options, the other is a cheat you unlock but I prefer the former as the slow-mo is not as radical, I think it's about 50% while the cheat slows down to 25%.

I'm a firm believer the best experience you can have with this game is to play it at the hardest possible difficulty, but aiding yourself with soft lock-on enabled or slo-mo on aim.

After beating the game on Survivor+ last summer, I started my first NG playthrough on "Grounded" yesterday and I'm absolutely blown away with it again in 60fps.

Also, how the hell is nobody talking about the game having the 3D audio option?? No "listen mode" on Grounded? No problem, I can hear where the enemies are around me all the time!

This game is just unmatched on so many fronts. I'm confident Naughty Dog will continue blazing the trail.
good call on the accessibility option for slo-mo aim. Always thought there was only the toggle option in there till I had a look. It's also better because it doesn't activate slow motion on the L trigger (zoom) when you don't have a gun equipped for exploring outside of combat.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
My friend who is playing this says for the best experience completely disable motion blur.
Motion blur is only good if you got a game running choppy or runs at a low frame rate and you need to pan the camera a lot.

It's a shitty developer's best friend to hide a sluggish game engine.

Worst motion blur in history has to be Mass Effect 1 on Xbox 360. Might as well rename the game to Vasoline: The Game.

Motion blur is only good if you got a game running choppy or runs at a low frame rate and you need to pan the camera a lot.

Worst motion blur in history has to be Mass Effect 1 on Xbox 360. Might as well rename the game to Vasoline: The Game.

Not exactly motion blur but the QAA in Killzone 2 was horrendous.

Last edited:

OrionNebula

I’m currently doing a rush replay to check out the upgrade to ps5 (skipping all cut scenes, infinite ammo, not really picking up much), but I gotta say I’m not impressed with those loading times (rest is very nice, though)

I understand it’s a beast of a game for ps4, but I was expecting better on that front with all that ssd talks for ps5 (it doesn’t help that TLOU2 has a shitload of cinematic scenes, but still)

I’m also playing Village PS5 at the same time, and those loading times are quite awesome, especially compared to TLOU2

Kupfer

I’m not impressed with those loading times (rest is very nice, though)

I understand it’s a beast of a game for ps4, but I was expecting better on that front with all that ssd talks for ps5 (it doesn’t help that TLOU2 has a shitload of cinematic scenes, but still)
It's still a PS4 game you know? The patch doesn't upgrade it to a PS5 game, so it runs just in backward compatibility mode.

Now the big question. Is it running in BC mode or do you guys assume it's a PS5-only version? This is the same situation with Days Gone.

Regardless, I can't wait for the PC version.

How could you be smartest and dumbest all at the same time?

In one thread you're explaining how Ray tracing and shit works in other threads you failed to understand 5th-grade comprehension on what means running via Backwards compatibility vs what means running a native PS5 version.

JeloSWE

I’m currently doing a rush replay to check out the upgrade to ps5 (skipping all cut scenes, infinite ammo, not really picking up much), but I gotta say I’m not impressed with those loading times (rest is very nice, though)

I’m also playing Village PS5 at the same time, and those loading times are quite awesome, especially compared to TLOU2
The game has to be optimized for PS5 to get those fast load times, DF showed that in BC the game loaded in about half the time vs PS4. Secondly, there are basically no load times once started, you only get them when starting up the game from scratch or reloading another level.

Bartski

Gold Member
checkpoint load on death takes like 3 seconds, IMO that's fast enough. There is plenty of room for improvement in asset streaming to do the SSD talking points justice, I hope this is just them starting to patch the game of current-gen.

GuinGuin

Banned

Disagree. I love motion blur. It make everything look more real. At 60fps with no motion blur everything has that Soap Opera Effect.

Top Bottom