• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II - Review Thread - *NO. SPOILERS. PERIOD.*

What will TLOU 2 average score be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Ok. Seen a good variety of reviews. Eurogamer. Game Informer. Destructoid. Time. Ars Technica. Polygon. Skill Up.

I'm not confident about this. Not at all. But I'm going to give the game a fair chance & find out for myself. It's the only way to be sure.

Still hope it wins me over, but it's not the end of the world if it doesn't.

And you haven't. They're not even going into great detail of the actual story of the game.

They've mentioned the things that I said in that post. Which is why I said what I said.

Not sure what point you're trying to make here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not going there because of spoilers but if so that really sucks... I think his reviews are some of the best in the business and I'm definitely checking it out after I beat the game

I agree. Skill Up is fantastic.

To be clear, there may very well be an issue with reviewers being scared of reprisal from publishers/devs. There is clearly an issue with the way many people react to reviews. My point to the other poster is that putting on their boots and pushing a boulder halfway up the mountain every time a big game releases seems like a pretty miserable existence.

rofif

Banned
The embargo seems very strict. I understand wanting to avoid spoilers but the review is kinda pointless if You only allow to talk about the parts of the product You see fit as a publisher.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: 888

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
The embargo seems very strict. I understand wanting to avoid spoilers but the review is kinda pointless if You only allow to talk about the parts of the product You see fit as a publisher.

Not really. They are still allowed to talk about the overall story (saw many talking about the ending for example), but aren't allowed to point out specific things just yet. Looking a the leaks many may already know what the main reason for the embargo may be.

But even though there's this embargo, reviewers still have the chance to say "the story sucks totally, I'm just not allowed to tell you why".

rofif

Banned
Not really. They are still allowed to talk about the overall story (saw many talking about the ending for example), but aren't allowed to point out specific things just yet. Looking a the leaks many may already know what the main reason for the embargo may be.

But even though there's this embargo, reviewers still have the chance to say "the story sucks totally, I'm just not allowed to tell you why".
Maybe it's for the better

chamber79

Neo Member
Not really the score doesn't change either way, from the reviews of the game I read, I can get a grasp of the game and it's probably as much as I would even want reviewers to reveal to me about the game. The rest I can formulate on my own when I play it.

Last edited:
It's worth noting that this is a similar reception to Uncharted 4 (39 perfect scores to this game's 44 so far) and that, in my view, these are the sorts of experiences critics prefer. They want something cinematic, relatively streamlined and with a great narrative. Combat mechanics, depth of them, level design and so forth are kinda secondary to most critics, you can see it in how they review games. I remember reading about this phenom in regards to the game Mad Max which was loved by gamers but not critics, gamers really enjoyed all the stuff there was to do in the game... critics saw it as busy work. What we need to remember is to critics this is a JOB and the more hours required to give an informed opinion on a game the more annoyed they tend to become. As a Destiny fan I weep any time a review hits before the new raid drops, can you imagine reviewing a game whose best feature is absent?

Though this may seem like an effort to minimize the importance of how well this is doing, it's not really, if it remains at 96 then it's very high even for this sort of game. But when the disconnect between critics and fans occurs it's usually as it relates to games with a wider breadth of gameplay/depth, in fact, some of the more negative reviews for TLOU II will complain about the crafting, collecting or just how long and big it is. Only game critics will complain about length without implying there's anything actually worth cutting out, while the fans just want more. I think there's room in the medium for both types of games I describe, I consider TLOU one of my favorite games and put it right beside games I have hundreds more hours in, because some games aren't built for hundreds of hours. In the same sense that I've watched Back to the Future more than The Godfather but don't necessarily like it better. If you can get past the idea that them giving it a perfect 10 doesn't mean it's going to change the mind of a ND hater and is a 10 based on the idea of it excelling at what it's made to do (and let go of the fact that games that excel in the other way don't get the same level of recognition) you'll be doing okay. I still remember the people complaining RDR 2 wasn't completely different from 1 when it came out, like because it's getting such high scores it needs to transcend your biases against the sort of game it is, like if I as a non-fan of racing games played the new Forza and said "wow, overrated". Still, besides rare exceptions game critics mostly favor more compact, cinematic and often easy experiences, I've seen some commentary on this game's difficulty and I wonder if some of these critics are playing it on easy and still getting fucked up and that's the big difference here. I thought the first was a difficult survival game but never so difficult as to ruin the pacing/narrative with you beating your head against a wall on the same section over and over. I didn't play on easy, I rarely do.

This is a lot of assuming, though, from what I understand there's more openness to this game and there's a lot added to how the combat works. I just still don't see it as one of those 100+ hour games, but not every game needs to be.

Ogbert

Ok. Seen a good variety of reviews. Eurogamer. Game Informer. Destructoid. Time. Ars Technica. Polygon. Skill Up.

I'm not confident about this. Not at all. But I'm going to give the game a fair chance & find out for myself. It's the only way to be sure.

Still hope it wins me over, but it's not the end of the world if it doesn't.

They've mentioned the things that I said in that post. Which is why I said what I said.

Not sure what point you're trying to make here.

Same here.

We all know what we’re getting so there’s no point paying too much attention to reviews. I’m pretty sure I will end up agreeing with Skill Up - he points out that the combat is still average and that the story drags. That’s pretty much exactly how I felt about the first game.

But I’ll give it a go.

The first one is woke yet you love it lmao

I didnt see the wokeness on the first game. Ellies homosexuality was a character trait not her whole personality. Like, you know, a person.

I don't know how it is in TLOU2 but the leaks made me wary so Im willing to give the game a chance if It doesnt beat you over the head with ideology. I feel thats fair.

tryDEATH

Read a few reviews and you can just see that they dance around the one issue they are afraid to touch so much so that they refuse acknowledge it and don't even mention it, when everyone knows it will be a sticking point once the general public gets their hands on the game.

They can't really form their own opinion on it and they just fall in line with everyone else that is scared shitless of the mob. Based on what I read this feels more like a high 80's game, which is still great, but the virtue signaling is strong in this one.

Looking forward to watching a few episodes of a play through.

Ogbert

I didnt see the wokeness on the first game. Ellies homosexuality was a character trait not her whole personality. Like, you know, a person.

I don't know how it is in TLOU2 but the leaks made me wary so Im willing to give the game a chance if It doesnt beat you over the head with ideology. I feel thats fair.

From reading the reviews, it’s not so much that the characters are woke, rather that they are unremittingly violent, brutal and psychotic without any redeeming features. It appears to be an unpleasant story rather than an irritating one.

Some may like that, others may hate it. Reading between the lines, it looks like they have gone out of their way to destroy things that fans loved.

From reading the reviews, it’s not so much that the characters are woke, rather that they are unremittingly violent, brutal and psychotic without any redeeming features. It appears to be an unpleasant story rather than an irritating one.

Some may like that, others may hate it. Reading between the lines, it looks like they have gone out of their way to destroy things that fans loved.

Oh I can live with that

lol, yeah I bet this is just reading between the lines, after all TLOU 1 was such a non-violent, non-brutal game with no psychosis to speak of.

Luckenzio

Neo Member
Not a surprise that the game is a huge success with critics. Im curious to see how it performs with players; actual players mind you, not people dunking on the game because of their preconceived notion of the product.

The fact that it was breaking PS4 preorder records show that there is still a huge amount of hype for the game despite the leaks and so many people shitting on it.

I doubt this game will knock Witcher 3 out of my game of the generation, but I'm excited for it to take #2 in my heart. I can't fucking wait. So hyped.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
This shows people should stop calling sjws and leftists as a loud minority that's not into gaming. Literally nothing can stop this train.

Im surprised actually.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
So which is it, guys?

Is the gaming press comprised of profligate hacks whose opinions should be discarded?
Or are they a beacon of objectivity with the consumer's interest as their primary motivation?

Why do any of you give a shit what Kotaku or Polygon or any of this god forsaken sites say about a game?

Valentino

EUGHH my stomachs actually churning at people still holding out for it to not live up. "Still wary, still waiting for bargain bin, reviewers still being paid." Actual yawn fest! don't play the game........honestly......your still wary? Don't play it, stop forcing it. Fans will like it, people who are excited will like it. People who enjoy ND games will like it. Time to let go.

ROMhack

Metro said it's 'unnecessarily long', which is a contentious point and I suspect true given the trends we've seen this gen. It's a bit annoying as we had tons of games in the 8-10 hour bracket last gen and they were much better for it IMHO. Uncharted IV had this issue too.

Edit: Just looked and it's 30+ hours apparently.

Last edited:

hunthunt

Banned
Thats amazing, I dont know if I will enjoy it more than Bloodborne but Im pretty sure its a masterpiece,just likethe first one, can't fucking wait!

Also lol @ the few people who didnt like the first one or didn't care about it looking for bad reviews to reassure that they have a point. stop guys, this a fantastic game and Naighty Dogs are simply one of the most talented teams in the world

Enjoy the stuff you like and dont waste time understanding why the fuck you dont like other stuff, thats recipe for depression and angry

ROMhack

Thats amazing, I dont know if I will enjoy it more than Bloodborne but Im pretty sure its a masterpiece,just likethe first one, can't fucking wait!

Also lol @ the few people who didnt like the first one or didn't care about it looking for bad reviews to reassure that they have a point. stop guys, this a fantastic game and Naighty Dogs are simply one of the most talented teams in the world

Enjoy the stuff you like and dont waste time understanding why the fuck you dont like other stuff, thats recipe for depression and angry

You have a point but I'm not sure telling people it's amazing without having played is the best approach.

Edit: However, I do hope it's amazing and that you enjoy the game.

Last edited:

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
Metro said it's 'unnecessarily long', which is a contentious point and I suspect true given the trends we've seen this gen. It's a bit annoying as we had tons of games in the 8-10 hour bracket last gen and they were much better for it IMHO. Uncharted IV had this issue too.

Edit: Just looked and it's 30+ hours apparently.

I read game is 20-30 hours, 30+ if you want to check every little detail out or find every collectible.
Don't know if the 30+ takes tackling harder difficulties into account.

Ogbert

lol, yeah I bet this is just reading between the lines, after all TLOU 1 was such a non-violent, non-brutal game with no psychosis to speak of.

Of course, but Ellie and Joel were the redeeming quality amidst the carnage. I suppose, if you were being naff, you could view them as ‘hope’.

It may well be that they’ve replaced it with nothing but violence. To each their own.

ROMhack

I read game is 20-30 hours, 30+ if you want to check every little detail out or find every collectible.
Don't know if the 30+ takes tackling harder difficulties into account.

20 hours is better for me. It's a personal point as I try to fit gaming around work/life but I don't think I've played a game of this type this gen which doesn't feel that little bit too long: Horizon, God of War, Death Stranding, etc.

I find myself increasingly getting to a point where I want them to be over. I much preferred the approach last gen where even the best story-driven games would be 15 hours tops: The Last of Us 1, Bioshock, Spec Ops: The Line.

Anyway, of course I haven't played it. It's just these days, I always look for reviews that mention bloat and I'm seeing it come up quite a lot with the ones I'm reading here - which ofc is nothing against the gameplay, quality of story, etc. They sound excellent.

Last edited:

A2una1

The one thing I hate about reviews is that they are either hater bullshit, or fanboy bullshit. Both groups bitch about each other, even though they are no different. I question anyone who gives this game 1's and I question anyone who gives it 10's. I cringe every time I see something that says this is the worst game ever made and is pure cancer, and something that says this is the best game ever made and cured cancer!

I tried giving breath of the wild a 7 on 10 once and was very nearly crucified for it at gamefaqs.

But having a metric, where you can't reach the highest or the lowest score point, is not sufficent at all. Then you could neglact these values and do evaluate from 2-9....

People super excited for this game looking at reviews.
tenor.gif

Also people with apparently zero interest, unable to sleep, looking for remotely negative reviews.

They dont have to love you, you just need to make them think about you. Mindshare. Still upset this game was essentially delayed bc of disc buyers. Probably wont have time by the time this game comes out. Ill probably get it for PS5. We’ll see.

kebaldo

So funny to see people discredit a 96 formed from 80 reviews... "I feel like it's more a 80". This is the cherry on top of all: is going to sell a shit ton of copys, it has fenomenal reviews (probably Goty), and the haters have the butt hole hurt... Can't go better lol.
Looking at the bad reviews... They're so funny some times because they don't look like a game review but more like a "political stand point" like Polygon saying "we are better than this... Ellie doesn't rappresenta a real human of 2020". Are you fucking kidding me? Are we gonna give Halo Infinite 3/10 because we humans are better than this... We welcome Aliens we don't kill them if they come.
Again: great reviews, great sales (it matters because games with this tipe of budget are produced more often if they sell more so is a win for us gamers), and buttholeburning haters.

ROMhack

But having a metric, where you can't reach the highest or the lowest score point, is not sufficent at all. Then you could neglact these values and do evaluate from 2-9....

It's the 10-point scale. I don't know why exactly but it's the single most stupid way of scoring anything in the history of the world.

Grades work better. The 5-point scale works better. Even fucking Famitsu's weird 40/40 thing works better.

Like for example, how much better does something seem when it's scored 3/5 compared to 6/10.

This is off-topic but I'll never understand why people who use /10 are allowed to exist on this planet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom