• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Remastered censored in all countries in Europe

As confirmed by Fred Dutton on the EU Playstation Blog comments, TLoU Remastered multiplayer mode is censored in all European countries, just like the original PS3 game was. That means all gore is gone. I'm not buying this shit.

At the moment, Sony is by far the worst publisher when it comes to completely pointless and unnecessary censorship. They completely fucked the Twisted Metal franchise and actually had lower sales because of it, but they didn't care: they censored PS3 Twisted Metal too. There is no lawful reason to do this, but Sony does it anyway. They seem to be living in a world where GTA5 is not the best selling game of last gen with all its violence unaltered in Europe.

Is anything going to make Sony stop censoring these damn games?

funkypie

Banned
Think we knew this alreadly. Going off the giant tlou thread nearly every EU gaffer seems to be getting the us version.

Why are you blaming Sony? It is Germany causing the problems.

Nibel

I never intended to buy the remaster at day one, but now it seems like I'll skip it completely. Hopefully they won't do this with TLOU2.

Why? Is this some European law thing or Sony's own doing?

Sony's own thing. There is no reason to censor a PEGI 18 rated game outside Germany. All other game publishers release a separate version in Germany if needed, like Wolfenstein The New Order that got its own naziless version there.

TimmiT

I get that censorship sucks, but I doubt that Twisted Metal having low sales in Europe is because of the censorship.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Why? Is this some European law thing or Sony's own doing?

The German version of the game needs to be censored. As they and many other lazy companies have done before they can't be arsed to release two versions in Europe so everybody gets the shit one. Same thing happened with South Park recently.

Hixx

Getting the US version off PSN. Could get a physical copy in the UK for a tenner if I traded in Thief (which I got for £15, so it wouldn't be too bad) but not if they're going to censor it. I know it's only an aesthetical change in the multiplayer but it's still bullshit.

Kinda ok with this, didn't love the violent kill animations in multiplayer (similarly, didn't love all the ways Lara can die in 2013). Choice censorship etc, but personally not up in arms.

BibiMaghoo

It sucks, but you can buy the US version on PSN.

If everyone did this, I think it would be quite an effective way to communicate the nature and impact of the issue to Sony.

Massively lop-sided sales in the US's favour would be indisputable.

Lima

The German version of the game needs to be censored. As they and many other lazy companies have done before they can't be arsed to release two versions in Europe so everybody gets the shit one. Same thing happened with South Park recently.

It doesn't need to be censored. They haven't even tried submitting the uncensored version. It's all on Sony.

Same story with South Park. The uncensored version wouldn't have even a problem in Germany at all (aside from the nazi symbols) but instead Ubisoft decided to cut a bunch of other stuff too.

oti

Banned
Entschuldigung

I personally don't really care and will get the German version if it's cheaper or same price

Buy the US version people, it's likely cheaper than what you would've paid anyways.

Don't give Sony more money for a censored product.

There is USK for Germany and Pegi for whole Europe except Germany. So there.

Indeed, but some publishers won't bother releasing two versions. Now of course, it's up to the publisher to work around that issue. But my point was to explain why some games are censored in Europe while it seems laws won't prevent violent games.

LAA

Ah, oh well.
As I actually posted on that, don't really mind the censoring, as I still get the sense of brutality without the gore, but I would prefer to play it as developers intended.

Just a little annoying/weird cause..its not that bad gore wise. Gears of War wasnt censored anywhere was it, feels pretty similar to Gears in terms of gore online. Also doesnt
an infected guy get his head cut of in the campaign? Or something like that

x-Lundz-x

Sony's own thing. There is no reason to censor a PEGI 18 rated game outside Germany. All other game publishers release a separate version in Germany if needed, like Wolfenstein The New Order that got its own naziless version there.

Oh ok, makes sense now. Still seems pretty unreasonable and makes no sense by Sony.

Vitanimus

Multiplayer, who gives a shit

Whatever, it's just the multiplayer and no one plays that anyway. This would be really shitty if it was the single-player too though.

iRJR1JSOQ9msC.gif

It's the multiplayer. Wouldn't changing the kill animation for one country in a mp region create imbalance? Seems like a better idea to keep the multiplayer uniform.

Top Bottom