• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The Last of Us: Remastered' coming to PS4, July 2014, [1080p, targeting 60 fps]

I was saying just the other day about this - gotta be the only gen that there wasn't a storage capacity increase. Expect we'll get bits of games coming as downloads soon enough.

A tad worried by this since the PS4 doesn't support external harddrives - don't want to have to keep switching harddrives to store all my game data. What's the largest blu-ray disc the PS4 can play?

I may just get a 2TB harddrive when I pick up a PS4 to save me the bother.

Still nice to know ND already stretching limits on PS4 :)

gruenel

"The Last of Us Remastered launches on PS4 next month"

new thread?

I think that's just Videogamer guessing, not from the Edge magazine. Not sure though. Don't wanna make a thread because of that.

A tad worried by this since the PS4 doesn't support external harddrives - don't want to have to keep switching harddrives to store all my game data. What's the largest blu-ray disc the PS4 can play?

50GB apparently.

I like that the cutscenes were re-rendered. Too few developers bother with that... in fact, I can't even think of another example where the cutscenes were redone. Granted, though, in some cases it's probably not feasible, especially with older titles (e.g. the original assets/scripts may have been lost to time).

God of War: Ghost of Sparta had its cutscenes redone in a higher resolution for the PS3 release.

Would be so awesome if they launch at the 1yr Anniversary of the game. June 14 DO IT.

some new info posted by Gruenel in the EDGE 267 thread:

joel_banderas_gif___vga_2013_by_jkphantom9-d7678gb.gif

Playing Injustice last night on the PS4 and it was a little embarassing. The cutscenes are letterboxed and look like butt, but then the gameplay is smooth and sharp. Weird.

The Sly Trilogy on Vita has laughable cutscenes too, especially since the rest of the game scrubbed up so damn well.

I like that the cutscenes were re-rendered. Too few developers bother with that... in fact, I can't even think of another example where the cutscenes were redone. Granted, though, in some cases it's probably not feasible, especially with older titles (e.g. the original assets/scripts may have been lost to time).

God of War Origins collection.

Loakum

Banned
I see Druckman said our "cinematics are running in 1080p with 60fps" ....so what does the actual game run at? 1080p 30fps? (I'm cool with this, if it's the case).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I see Druckman said our "cinematics are running in 1080p with 60fps" ....so what does the actual game run at? 1080p 30fps? (I'm cool with this, if it's the case).

It's in the thread title. ;) ND hasn't confirmed a final framerate yet, although the cutscenes running at 60fps strongly suggests the game itself also runs at/up to 60fps.

Shin-Ra

God of War: Ghost of Sparta had its cutscenes redone in a higher resolution for the PS3 release.
The beauty of the original dev doing the remaster not too long after the original release.

enemies look a little blurry up close, so that was pretty easy. We ramped those up and saw a pretty significant difference.
This needed to be done, along with some of the ground textures.

Donos

Well, if they have open FPS from 30-60, i hope they give ppl the choice of locked 30 fps like Sucker Punch did with a patch.

Eusis

It's a little disconcerting that they're already having trouble fitting a game on a Blu-ray disc. I hope they don't compress the cutscenes to hell because of that.
Does seem kind of like Sony should've continued their tradition of a new media format with the PS4, but that would've involved waiting even longer for the generation to start and DLC can plug that hole well enough. Never mind just going with multiple discs.

Shin-Ra

Hopefully environment textures like this get a bump, and baked environment shadows

14133785821_862c9e0792_o.png

Because they weren't always as nice as this

13950475520_10b0f5487b_o.png

And while flashlight shadows had a nice, crisp resolution, soft shadows with that resolution will look beautiful.

13950475570_6cca975f68_o.png

Occam

I was a little surprised that Sony didn't end up putting a BD-XL drive in the PS4 for the sake of future-proofing. When the PS4 was announced and Sony was hesitant to commit to final specs I was convinced that it'd happen at a later date, but it never did.

Same here, I was really surprised that they did NOT go with BD XL; that's the one design choice of PS4 that made no sense at all, especially considering that 4k movies probably won't fit on 46 GB discs, even when using h.265 (unless the bitrate is significantly reduced, which defeats the purpose). Unfortunate and very short sighted of Sony.

jett

D-Member
some new info posted by Gruenel in the EDGE 267 thread:

I knew they weren't going to be real-time, but that's really surprising to hear they re-rendered them at 60fps. I wouldn't think there would be enough space to have two hours of 60fps cut-scenes without significant macroblocking.

driver116

Same here, I was really surprised that they did NOT go with BD XL; that's the one design choice of PS4 that made no sense at all, especially considering that 4k movies probably won't fit on 46 GB discs, even when using h.265 (unless the bitrate is significantly reduced, which defeats the purpose). Unfortunate and very short sighted of Sony.

FW update?

JPS Kai

Playing Injustice last night on the PS4 and it was a little embarassing. The cutscenes are letterboxed and look like butt, but then the gameplay is smooth and sharp. Weird.

The Devil May Cry collection was pretty bad too, especially 1

Proxy

Thanx for the sarcasm. Funny how Druckman didn't mention GAMEPLAY, but specifically mentioned cinematics. See the article in link.

Why would the cinematics be running at 60 fps if the gameplay wasn't? If that was the case then why weren't they running at 60 on the PS3. They've already said they're targeting 60 fps, it's even in the thread title. Also the quote is taken without full context as the article is quoting from Edge.

Loakum

Banned
It's in the thread title. ;) ND hasn't confirmed a final framerate yet, although the cutscenes running at 60fps strongly suggests the game itself also runs at/up to 60fps.

Thank you, I seen the title fine and dandy. targeting and actually accomplishing are two separate things. I got they're shooting for 60fps in game, but haven't confirmed they'll reach that benchmark. I just notice he specifically said cinematics meeting the benchmark, but no word on gameplay. That's all I'm saying. :)

Loakum

Banned
Why would the cinematics be running at 60 fps if the gameplay wasn't? If that was the case then why weren't they running at 60 on the PS3. They've already said they're targeting 60 fps, it's even in the thread title. Also the quote is taken without full context as the article is quoting from Edge.

because cinematics is a cutscene (you don't control), and gameplay is what you control.

Jellzy

Neo Member
Apologies if this has been answered but do we know if the European version will have the violence/gore differences in multiplayer like the PS3 version?

Proxy

because cinematics is a cutscene (you don't control), and gameplay is what you control.

The point is there would be no reason to run the cinematics at 60 if the gameplay isn't. They didn't feel bothered to do that for the cinematics running on the PS3 version of the game.

Scenarios where cutscenes run a a lower FPS than the game are fairly common, but I can't think of any where they run higher. That's encouraging...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Scenarios where cutscenes run a a lower FPS than the game are fairly common, but I can't think of any where they run higher. That's encouraging...
There are some...

60 fps video was extremely prevalent during the PS2 era (on PS2 only, of course). Most of those games also ran at 60 fps but there is one fun exception that comes to mind; Silent Hill 2! Silent Hill 2 ran at 30 fps in game but the pre-rendered movies were 60 fps. This ONLY applies to the PS2 version, however, as the video quality was destroyed in the Xbox and PC ports.

The older Hitman games, for instance, used realtime cutscenes which ran at 60 fps while the game itself ran at 30. Same deal with Freedom Fighters.

Business

Thanks AKyemeni.

Whilst it doesn't affect gameplay I'll admit it was a little disappointing that various animation etc had been removed and/or toned down.

It is disappointing.

Does anybody know if buying the PS4 version on the US store will let you play the uncensored version in Europe? Does this work currently on PS3?

Freeman

Banned
I think this pretty much confirms gameplay will be 60fps. Why deal with 60fps cinematics and their large video files in a game that is 30fps?

Top Bottom