• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Survivor isn't bad at all. I don't see why it was locked out until you beat the game in the PS3 version. Same as Crushing in the Uncharteds

Have all the difficulties available from the beginning, Naughty Dog!

They wanted you to earn it I guess? I think the issue with locking it is that to get the platinum, you needed to do the NG+ stuff as well.

I started on Grounded, but I may do it on Easy for one run so I can get collect EVERYTHING and finish those off, then I can just mow through Grounded without having to deal with collecting those things.

leng jai

Survivor really isn't that hard. The trick is to use melee 80% of the time. You get a plank or crowbar quite frequently which are quite OP when you think about it. The checkpoint system is also ridiculously forgiving.

Just finished my replay of the remastered version. A little thing I never noticed.
In the hospital when Joel is knocked down to his knees, the shot that is behind his shoulder when he is talking to Marlene
, it switched back to his default green plaid shirt briefly. I wonder if that was just part of the cutscene that was rendered earlier than the others.

Still incredible to playthrough. Going to do another one soon on a harder difficultly. BTW, can someone remind me, completely upgrading the weapons...can it be done? Is there a new game+? And do you start from scratch on different difficulties?

daveo42

Banned
Yes. Like 2/3-1/2.

Ouch...this is almost making me want to reconsider my Grounded run. Survivor was thin on supplies to begin with and I'm surprised I made it though some of those sections with those paltry resources.

After Boston/Summer spoilers:
I've never had much luck with the entire school section either, both outside and inside and always felt like you had to run and gun through there. I might need to find yet another approach to that place.

Also, did anyone notice differences in number of enemies/placement of some of the Pittsburg hunters? The bookstore had that extra guy inside that wrecked my normal route around.

Yeah, its not too bad going for a Platinum in Uncharted since you've just gotta play the game twice. With this game though it's at least 3. Ignoring that maybe you'd just like to play at a difficulty that you find enjoyable. It's switchable in game anyway. If you get in over your head you can just tone it down.

Survivor really isn't that hard. The trick is to use melee 80% of the time. You get a plank or crowbar quite frequently which are quite OP when you think about it. The checkpoint system is also ridiculously forgiving.

Brick/Bottle + da pipe is all you need.

As far as Grounded, I've read that the checkpoints are less lenient. Does it use the beginning of the encounter as a checkpoint or are they even more sparse than that? Survivor does a little save after you've cleared out a decent section of enemies.

andycapps

Can anyone come up with a game that has better voice acting than this? Uncharted is the closest thing and that's made by the same company.

Red Dead Redemption stands out to me, though it's been a few years since I played. I really liked the characters in it.

Jamesways

How long is this game? I'm currently
with Henry wandering a town after escaping the sewers. Man, that was tough, emotionally, seeing the evidence of the children who lived there.
So this is still "Summer". There's 4 seasons in this, correct? If they're all as long, holy shit what a long game.
Not that I'm complaining mind you.

How long is this game? I'm currently with Henry wandering a town after escaping the sewers. Man, that was tough, emotionally, seeing the evidence of the children who lived there.
So this is still "Summer". There's 4 seasons in this, correct? If they're all as long, holy shit what a long game.

You still have a whole while to go.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I just finished Left Behind. My 3 favorite parts in no particular order
1. Wolf mask ROOARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
2. BRICK. FUCKING. MASTERRRRRRRRRR.
3. Ellie slitting the infected's throat at the end

How long is this game? I'm currently with Henry wandering a town after escaping the sewers. Man, that was tough, emotionally, seeing the evidence of the children who lived there.

Spoilers tag that man.

My first play though took me about 20 hours, but I went slow and explored everything.

You are around halfway

Morts

Scanning through this thread it seems like the PS4 version might be a little glitchier than the original? Am I wrong?

Andrew.

Banned
Holy crap I have more posts here than Lukas Japonicus.

I win.

Sidenote-

Cruised through NG+ and got every SP trophy besides all convos since Ellie walks right past the (Spring spoiler)
airplane advert on the bus
no matter how many times I try.

Survivor next but I'm definitely taking a break

...For a week.

I used to really dislike the first major encounter with the infected in Boston since it's pretty difficult but I'm actually thankful for that on Grounded. It helped me come up with new strategies for how to approach the encounters that I never thought of before.

Totally! It is a really good gauge for the remaining infected encounters. During my hard run I had the most trouble with the
Fireflies in the hospital I think.
Damn a couple of those spots were aggravating.

x-Lundz-x

Scanning through this thread it seems like the PS4 version might be a little glitchier than the original? Am I wrong?

While I have only encountered a few, nothing like some people say they have experienced, it definitively seems that way. However, honestly that should be expected considering the work that had to be done to make it work on a completely different architecture.

I'm sure a few more patches will come and iron most of it out.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I win.

Sidenote-

Cruised through NG+ and got every SP trophy besides all convos since Ellie walks right past the (Spring spoiler)

...For a week.
I'm just using the NG+ glitch for Grounded to limit my number of complete playthroughs. This is already my 6th of the game overall.

Andrew.

Banned
I'm just using the NG+ glitch for Grounded to limit my number of complete playthroughs. This is already my 6th of the game overall.

Im gonna use the glitch too for Survivor. This way all of my weapons will be maxed out from my Hard runs.

Screw Grounded. Not attempting that again
for a couple months

I win.

Sidenote-

...For a week.

I completed the story on hard no listen mode yesterday along with a survivor play through of left behind timed to fit the game. :)

I used the glitch and am now downtown in my grounded+ play through.

I definitely enjoyed this play through more than I did on the ps3. The smoothness of 60 fps and my memories of the areas I struggled with the most made it a lot easier this time.

I swear hard no listen on the ps4 is easier than normal with listen on on the ps3.

Now it is time to really dive into the mp too as I take my time on grounded. :)

daveo42

Banned
Sidenote-

I had issues with (summer spoiler)
the one convo right outside the bookstore as there were guys still around and the prompt wouldn't come up for the dead guys hung up from the light post. I feel pretty confident right now about pretty much everything else though in terms of collectible and shiv doors. Haven't missed one yet.

Jamesways

Spoilers tag that man.

My first play though took me about 20 hours, but I went slow and explored everything.

You are around halfway

Sorry, added tags. And thanks!

I think mine is going to go well over 20 hours at this point. Exploring every corner and should probably speed it up.

But it's fun to try to stealth choke every area possible, I find myself restarting areas a lot to get it right (old Splinter Cell habits I guess).

Sorry, added tags. And thanks!

I think mine is going to go well over 20 hours at this point. Exploring every corner and should probably speed it up.

But it's fun to try to stealth choke every area possible, I find myself restarting areas a lot to get it right (old Splinter Cell habits I guess).

I did that on my first playthrough on the PS3 on hard setting. In retrospect I shouldve saved that for Survivor.

Taking it easy and playing it on normal on my PS4 though with a half-stealth, half-fuck it way to play. Still loving the game (although I can't help but take advantage of the enemy AI flaws more often than not)

woen

Wow, just arrived in the
Firefly lab. That is a choice...I bet it's the last area/mission, I don't want to know who'll get killed/separated/turned into an Infected god god god

edit : late game spoiler/spring

Yeah I'm on survivor and feel the same way, can't wait to see how Grounded ups the stakes. Is it just more enhanced AI, or are there less resources?

I've really only played a tiny bit of grounded so far, and its already a huge difference from Survivor. The enemy AI, while definitely not overhauled, is a lot more agressive. Multiple times I've had enemies come up behind me and choke me out, which never happened on my hard/survivor runs. You also have insanely little health, which makes things really tense. The lack of HUD doesn't change things too much, because you can check your ammo in the weapon select screen and base health on your animations and screen redness, but it does add to the experience of not always knowing exactly how much health or ammo you have.

GravyButt

Holy crap, just got to the
hotel basement. Found the keycard started the generator and ran like hell and got lucky on my first try

Wow that was creepy as hell

Anyone experiencing more broken AI than in the ps3 version?

Im playing through on Hard since I beat the game a few times on the ps3 and Ive had a few occasions where enemies will go completely brain dead and stop moving. They arent frozen and I can go up and kill them but they stop patrolling the area at all. Seems to only happen with human enemies.

Anyone else running into this?

Im playing through on Hard since I beat the game a few times on the ps3 and Ive had a few occasions where enemies will go completely brain dead and stop moving. They arent frozen and I can go up and kill them but they stop patrolling the area at all. Seems to only happen with human enemies.

Actually that happens a lot on the PS3 too. Enemy AI isn't perfect and sometimes breaks.

Experienced this quite a bit myself; you're not the only one.

daveo42

Banned

Once or twice in a few places. I don't remember it at all in the PS3 version. I think the worst thing I've noticed which didn't even seem to phase me on the PS3 was all of the pop-in, especially during the 2nd half of Fall at
the university. It was literally everywhere and looked absolutely horrible. Actually pulled me out of the experience a bit since trees, shrubs, and other objects would just appear.

AGoodODST

Grounded ain't so hard except for two things; seems like clickers have ridiculous hearing, I'm having a real hard time sneaking up on them now, and the checkpoints are horrible. I know they are meant to be less forgiving but I just find them really frustrating. It's no fun at all having to replay large sections.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
So I finished the game on Hard having never played The Last of Us before and having been on a media blackout since media first started circulating for the original PS3 version.

My random impressions/thoughts after my first play through:

This was a very solid effort by Naughty Dog but I honestly think Uncharted 2 was a better/funner game and succeeded at what it was trying to do (an action/adventure style game with a movie feel to it) better than what The Last of Us was attempting to do (post-apocalyptic survival type game with a movie feel).

My main issue with the game is there are so many things that take you out of the immersion. For example:
- you are sneaking through an area and Ellie will shout at the top of her lungs for no apparent reason
- The level design is very video-gamey and conflicts with the world they are trying to create. There are parts in the game (buildings or the landscapes) that are designed in such a way that they would never exist in the real world. I also felt that it holds the player's hand too much. You pretty much can never go in the wrong direction because everything is blocked off for no apparent reason. I would have liked for it to have been a little more open (especially in the cities/towns) and to allow players to take a wrong turn here or there. The Uncharted games also suffer from this but it really sticks out here for some reason. Its like you can forgive Uncharted because it doesn't take itself seriously and the level design sort of lends itself to the whimsy/adventure movie tone of the game but here it sticks out like a sore thumb.
- Why am I looking for an entrance to a building on the 2nd floor when the front door is made of glass and I have a gun? Meanwhile when the enemies assault the building they can walk in from the front door, no problem.
- The way you are constantly shown your destination off in the distance and you work your way towards it. I think it's fine to show it once but to constantly show it lets the player know "ok, this part is almost over". I think I would have rather been left in the dark as to my progress towards the goal as it makes things more exciting/unpredictable (to me).
- Joel's voice acting felt very inconsistent to me. I thought his delivery was fine, but (and this could be my imagination) it sounded as though Troy Baker couldn't make up his mind as to what part of the south Joel was from (or even if he was from the south at all). It makes we wonder if his part was recorded with weeks in between takes or something and he couldn't keep it consistent b/c he couldn't remember how he did it before.
- There are basically two types of puzzles in the game: move the ladder/plank or move the wooden palette. This gets old very fast. Even the characters remark at it saying things like "you know the drill get on this palette". There needed to be way more variety here. Why are there so many ladders, planks, and palettes lying around in the world?

Much has been said about the story/narrative being so good. I honestly didn't think it was anything special. Above average, yes, but not amazing.

I could go on but I don't think it would serve much of a purpose. I know that I'm nitpicking on some of these things and that The Last of Us is not alone when it comes to these issues but honestly for as much hype as this game got I expected more from it. Especially coming from Naughty Dog (Uncharted 2 is probably my favorite game from last gen). I certainly didn't expect have so many tired video game tropes/mechanics based on the hype.

What I liked about the game:

The entire Winter chapter. It easily felt like it was the most tightly designed, well done segment in the game. It was the only part in the game where I felt like everything fell into place and just clicked (story, gameplay, set pieces, etc) with nothing straggling behind. The game was firing on all cylinders here. If the entire game was as good as this chapter it might have passed Uncharted 2 for me.

I enjoyed playing the mercs and the infected against each other in Left Behind. Why the hell wasn't there more of this in the regular game?

The game runs very smoothly. Graphics are better than I was expecting for a PS3 port. I played without the 30fps lock turned on.

Final score: 7.5 or 8 out of 10 (for reference I would give Uncharted 2 a 9).

Palocca

Grounded ain't so hard except for two things; seems like clickers have ridiculous hearing, I'm having a real hard time sneaking up on them now, and the checkpoints are horrible. I know they are meant to be less forgiving but I just find them really frustrating. It's no fun at all having to replay large sections.

My rule of thumb for sneaking by is to match the speed of the enemy in crouch walk.

Clickers = low
Runners = half
Hunters = full

And I agree with the checkpoints, I remember dying once on a second set of back to back encounters and I was really annoyed that I had to start from the beginning.

I don't think so, there were a lot of little glitches on the PS3 version as well.

I think the Gamma glitch is so big it kind of makes the overall # appear bigger on the PS4 version.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Refresh my memory: can I just reload chapters at will for collectibles, then still have a 'continue in new game plus' option in the menu? I think you could just overwrite the autosave right?

psychotron

I don't think so, there were a lot of little glitches on the PS3 version as well.

I think the Gamma glitch is so big it kind of makes the overall # appear bigger on the PS4 version.

Maybe I never noticed it, but there's a shit ton more pop-in on the PS4 version for me.

Much has been said about the story/narrative being so good. I honestly didn't think it was anything special. Above average, yes, but not amazing.

Final score: 7.5 or 8 out of 10 (for reference I would give Uncharted 2 a 9).

Agreed; though there are some very interesting narrative choices in the final two seasons. As to the final question:
Would Ellie have wanted to sacrifice herself if she knew it meant her death? I wanted to wait until I finished Left Behind until I asked tho. I think she would not as relationships seemed to mean more to Ellie than saving the world; though, I can see the other way around, as she did go to an awful lot of trouble to find the fireflies.
Your thoughts?

Ferr986

Holy crap, just got to the
hotel basement. Found the keycard started the generator and ran like hell and got lucky on my first try

Wow that was creepy as hell

You can
just not power up the generator and get everything you want in that area safely. The bloated and some other stalkers dont appear till you power up the generator. I found it after dying the first time. It would have been awesome if you have to look for the keycard with the bloated following around

Btw right now Imn
in that abandoned village with Henry after the basement in the sewers
- Gotta say Im enjoying the game more now than in the beginning, although the part before I am:
the city with the hunters
was dragging a little. I have more fun playing against the infected.
Bill section was pretty fun

woen

OMG OMG OMG

Dat PERFECT ending! Dat last level!

I really thought there would be a bad ending for the protagonists (either Joel or Ellie), but this is still a bad ending. For mankind first, and maybe for Ellie who would have wanted to die for a vaccine (this is why Joel lies to her). This is a so well-written human story.

Beaten in 15h with 15 deaths (not a high level of difficulty, this could explain why I didn't take 17-20h)

Now I understand why it has 200 GOTY awards.

StuBurns

Banned
There's some randomness to the hotel basement, I've has infected in there before the card, and I've has the bloater not spawn at all.

Voorhees

You can
just not power up the generator and get everything you want in that area safely. The bloated and some other stalkers dont appear till you power up the generator. I found it after dying the first time. It would have been awesome if you have to look for the keycard with the bloated following around

Stalkers appear for the first time when you a) Try opening the door without the keycard or b) when you pick the keycard up or c) Power on the generator.

I really thought there would be a bad ending for the protagonists (either Joel or Ellie), but this is still a bad ending. For mankind first, and maybe for Ellie who would have wanted to die for a vaccine (this is why Joel lies to her). This is a so well-written human story.

Is it? See my post at the top of the page.
Joel lies because he doesn't really know what she would have wanted, but as the audience, with more information, we can think that maybe she wouldn't have wanted to.

So today I was playing the
University
chapter and decided to go back to the workbench at the beginning of the building after the
monkey dropped the light pole.
I arrived to the room where the workbench was located but noticed that I could not get in because, for some reason, I could not go through the open door. Then..I looked down:

rMY.jpg

I almost shit my pants.

Ferr986

Stalkers appear for the first time when you a) Try opening the door without the keycard or b) when you pick the keycard up or c) Power on the generator.

Atleast when I played
some stalkers appeared when I got to the area, but after clearing all of them I ran around and got everything, I even tried to open the door without the keycard, and no one appeared. Then, when I powered the generators, the bloated+ some more stalkers popped

hohoXD123

So initially 60fps felt like it made a massive difference compared to playing it on PS3, then gradually I got used to it and thought it didn't make much difference, but when locking it to 30 fps it seriously feels broken now especially when turning the camera. Melee also feels glorious at the higher frame rate too.

On the topic of AI though, I forgot how jarring it is when Ellie walks in plain view of a clicker without being noticed and how annoying it is when she is constantly standing in the way but just won't move.

Oh, and the portion when you're
hanging upside down
is so so annoying. They should have made the bit before into a skippable cutscene since dying means having to watch the entire sequence again and again.

Top Bottom