• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us - Review Thread [Emargo up, scores in OP.]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think Sony will hype up the reviews during E3?

Looks like they were already hyping up the edge review on youtube ads so I would say most definitely, I hope they have a big hype machine/marketing push for this game in the next week.

Honestly people that don't even play games are blown away by the TV spots, I hope Sony turns it into a huge IP.

Oh I'm not spoiled yet at all. I didn't really read any reviews just in case. I did the same thing during Uncharted 2. I completely blacked myself off from the media and demos.

I have not played the demo at all. I have great trust in Naughtydog, my favorite developer at the moment.

jfoul

Damnit, looks like it's time to re-buy a PS3 sometime in the near future. Hopefully we get a price drop soon, between E3 and the release of the PS4.

I really like Naughty Dog and all, but all these perfect scores has me extremely skeptical. Maybe some money hatting, or maybe just too much hype of "OMG NAUGHTY DOG NEW IP MAXING OUT PS3!" I've been on media blackout but did try the demo from GoW. Pretty good but not really worthy of scores that make it look like the best game of all time in the history of ever. But who knows. I'll reserve my full judgement until I finish it myself.

RedSwirl

I don't think that's really comparable, I don't THINK you could fire from cover in MGS2 explicitely (and you couldn't even aim properly short of using a sniper rifle in MGS1), and that was more for the ease of sneaking around than firefights, though MGS1 being a distant descendent of cover shooters is painfully ironic given this is from a series emphasizing stealth over killing. I guess that's to be expected with video games and perhaps human nature really.

You could fire from cover in both MGS1 and 2.

Man. I just played through the first few chapters of U3. That game is stunning. I forgot PS3 games could look so good. I don't know how TLoU is gonna top it.

scoobs

I really like Naughty Dog and all, but all these perfect scores has me extremely skeptical. Maybe some money hatting, or maybe just too much hype of "OMG NAUGHTY DOG NEW IP MAXING OUT PS3!" I've been on media blackout but did try the demo from GoW. Pretty good but not really worthy of scores that make it look like the best game of all time in the history of ever. But who knows. I'll reserve my full judgement until I finish it myself.

Try to live life with an open mind, going into stuff with such a pessimistic attitude is not healthy

DatDude

Banned
Was bored, because I love ND and because I can't wait for this game!

8966376018_678ddc49b7_o.jpg

I'm pretty sure there are more 10's than that.

Try to live life with an open mind, going into stuff with such a pessimistic attitude is not healthy
I am, and I'm usually more optimistic about stuff. But all these perfect scores make it seem like something revolutionary and truly game changing, which is not anywhere close to the feeling I got when I tried the demo. Don't get me wrong, I'll still be there day one as excited as the next guy.

Honestly I think this is more of an issue regarding how game reviewers score games. Too many terrible game with 5s and 7s and too lenient on what actually makes a game "perfect."

Fjordson

I'm actually curious about the preferences of those who enjoyed Uncharted 2 but didn't consider it as amazing as a lot seemed to. Personally I'm in that camp, people were gushing about how amazing Uncharted 2 was, but it was just a fun game that had some pretty impressive set pieces whereas it was Demon's Souls I had those feelings of being blown away and one of the best games I ever played. I wonder if it's a sort of divide between preferring an "experience" or a "gamey game."
I felt mostly the same. I thought it was a fun romp (same with UC 1 and 3) but didn't feel like it was amazing.

I just never enjoyed the gun combat. Some of the melee kills were fun, and the platforming and set pieces were neat, but the combat was kind of a drag.

My other complaint is fairly major since it's front and center in all three games, but it's even more subjective than the above and almost pointless to bring up: the writing and the characters. I was just never into the overall tone or Drake as a character. I mean Nolan North is pretty great at what he does, and I totally understand why people like Drake thanks in no small part to his performance, but...eh. He just never did it for me. The villains also never really piqued my interest. Felt a bit undercooked. I liked Sully and Chloe, though.

But again, that's utterly and completely subjective and really doesn't speak to whether or not Uncharted is a well made series (it is).

I guess that's why I'm interested in The Last of Us. It seems to be the polar opposite of Uncharted in the presentation and style. Also helps that I'm a bit of a sucker for post-apocalyptic fiction.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
I can not wait for this game! I am so happy ND let this generation go out with a bang. I hope this game really helps games move up another notch, That extra level of artistic design. It sounds like it does. It's going to be a dream for me i think. I loved uncharted 2 and wanted it to turn into a more grounded impressive experience.

I love how ND have got that light hearted fun kinda character and then a game at the complete opposite of the spectrum, A dark gritty masterpiece by the looks of things!

Congrats Naughty dog! you are the based gods

Well I wouldn't in that case either. I only use a demo to test out the controls mostly and get a taste of the gameplay. I wouldn't judge the whole game on that demo though. A demo is only a small controlled portion of the game, usually made months ahead of game release. Not all the stages and level will be the same. It wouldn't be fair to knock the game completely on one level. That would be like giving God of War 1 a 5 out of 10 because I hate the Hell portion of the game despite the rest being great in my opinion.

East Lake

I am, and I'm usually more optimistic about stuff. But all these perfect scores make it seem like something revolutionary and truly game changing, which is not anywhere close to the feeling I got when I tried the demo. Don't get me wrong, I'll still be there day one as excited as the next guy.

Honestly I think this is more of an issue regarding how game reviewers score games. Too many terrible game with 5s and 7s and too lenient on what actually makes a game "perfect."
I think the industry is probably desperate for a high profile "masterpiece" that doesn't have the same glaring gameplay or storytelling pitfalls that most game experiences have when compared to another medium. And if that's the case then it's in their interest to champion it rather than cast a critical eye on the plot or whatever. I should end this by saying I probably haven't read a game review or looked for game scores in at least three years, so it's possible I could be judging it wrong.

tzare

Wow, really awesome scores, and being so late into this gen it is really impressive that ND have been able to impress most of the media (and hopefully players when the game releases), now that everyone is waiting for new more capable consoles..

Looks like last gen's GOW2

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Is there a way to check out the most recent reviews on Metacritic? The number of reviews keeps growing but I've no idea what's been added.

DatDude

Banned
Uncharted 2 is okay. I mean it's fun but I wouldn't say it impressed me as a game.

brofist me dude.

Christ, I feel like I'm the only one who just didn't get the hype for UC2.

Honestly, maybe it was because I watched the whole playthrough on youtube (didn't have a ps3 at the time) first.

Idk, watching it on youtube made it feel like a really nice adventure film. Really nice dialogue, well done voice acting, great animations, really captured the blockbuster cinematic essence well.

It was fun.

When I got my ps3 I played through all 3 uncharted games back to back. I was really hyped for UC2 since I really enjoyed what I saw during my play through...but I think that's what made it feel really "Meh" on my 2nd go around.

I think since I knew what would happen, everything felt really irrelevant. Everything just felt, why even bother? I know what scripted event is going to happen, while I venture down this linear level with waves upon waves of bad men bullet sponges trying to kill me next...and I think that's what ultimately created my issue...Uncharted as a whole, is a really awesome adventure to play through once..but on repeat visits, it just becomes boring as fuck...and meaningless

Similar to films..only the SPECIAL, SPECIAL, SPECIAL films that you have in your top 5 of all time, your able to re-watch over and over again and just never get bored from.

Other films? It's one and done.

That's what I felt about Uncharted. It's a great, really well crafted cinematic adventure...But once you know all the plot details....there really is nothing to other than sit on your shelf, and maybe play again in a few years down the road when your bored.

Saying it's shallow would be to harsh...but it lacks a special something that elevates it among the greatest games of all time.

DatDude

Banned
I hope Easy mitigates the damage spongy aspect of enemies here. What I'm hearing about combat here is a complete turnoff so now I just kinda want to be able to barrel through for the experience whenever I get to play it. Bioshock Infinite pretty much killed my tolerance for that design.

It's meant to mirror realism regardless of difficulty you choose.

So..harder difficulties will only mean less bullets, less crafting options, and less health for Joel.

The humans are still 1 shot to the head and done.

The zombies, they will take more shots to kill..but i'm fine with that since they are meant to be these menacing hard to kill creatures that you want to try to avoid anyways.

Eusis

It's meant to mirror realism regardless of difficulty you choose.

So..harder difficulties will only mean less bullets, less crafting options, and less health for Joel.

The humans are still 1 shot to the head and done.

The zombies, they will take more shots to kill..but i'm fine with that since they are meant to be these menacing hard to kill creatures that you want to try to avoid anyways.
I was under the impression humans took multiple headshots, but the zombies, yeah, I can see why they'd be more durable.

Larson

Banned
Norwgian gaming site Playday, gives The Last of Us 6 out of 6 and calls it the best game they have played not just this year, but for the last 10 years. And it is the closest to gaming perfection.

Okey, i think i have to pre-order this badboy.

Honestly, maybe it was because I watched the whole playthrough on youtube (didn't have a ps3 at the time) first.

Its perfectly reasonable to not be in love with Uncharted 2 but doing that seems like it would take away a lot from the game. The best thing about uncharted 2 is experiencing the set pieces and events for the first time.

I was with my mum when a T.V spot came on about 20 minutes ago. Once it was finished she turned to me and said exactly this: “Wow, that looks so good! Are you going to get that one?”

It seems like a lot of people are sitting up and really taking notice of this game now that the review bombs have dropped. The game is hot stuff at the moment...it’s going to sell really well.

Raonak

Banned
Holy shit never expected it to review this good. EVEN EDGE GAVE IT 10/10.

LOL holy shit. seeing every other review.... then seeing polygon's review. so jarring. Especially when looking at how high they review other games.
Can't help but think theres something shady going on.

DatDude

Banned
Its perfectly reasonable to not be in love with Uncharted 2 but doing that seems like it would take away a lot from the game. The best thing about uncharted 2 is experiencing the set pieces and events for the first time.

Yeah and I honestly regret it. Especially since what I saw on youtube was just really great, and made a nice routine for a few days during my summer months, where I would cook some popcorn, dim the lights, and just watch the playthoughs as if I was watching a film. It was great fun.

But I guess you reiterate my points. Experiencing the set pieces and events for the first time is what makes Uncharted great. But doing repeat playthroughs makes the game..feel meh.

Personally, Bioshock 1 is probably still my favorite game of all time. An that's probably because of the level design, the characters, and the great atmosphere that's created.

With Uncharted, I feel like it's a playable cinematic blockbuster and nothing much more.

I was under the impression humans took multiple headshots, but the zombies, yeah, I can see why they'd be more durable.

Nope. It was rumored in this thread thanks to Jim Sterling..but Arne and few others popped the games and have confirmed that regardless of the difficulty chosen it's 1 bullet to the head and dead for the normal humans.

The "solider enemies", 2 bullets. 1 bullet to damage the helmet, another for the kill.

Siegmeyer

Have any of these reviews said whether you can turn off button prompts?

I've just watched a few reviews and it got kind of annoying to see that 'mash square' prompt pop up every time Joel got attacked, even if they tried to make it more organic.

Why is this even necessary? What's wrong with a one-and done approach? How is it any different from a game telling you 'press R1 to fire' every time you bring up your sights?

zoukka

Have any of these reviews said whether you can turn off button prompts?

I've just watched a few reviews and it got kind of annoying to see that 'mash square' prompt pop up every time Joel got attacked, even if they tried to make it more organic.

Why is this even necessary? What's wrong with a one-and done approach? How is it any different from a game telling you 'press R1 to fire' every time you bring up your sights?

Because it's beneficial to know when the game accepts such button presses no?

Shayan

Banned

indeed. Like i was saying , it was GAF's GOTY and no wonder 150 sites gave it GOTY awards.While playing UC2 , you have to be a masochist if you are not blown away by the set pieces

Norwgian gaming site Playday, gives The Last of Us 6 out of 6 and calls it the best game they have played not just this year, but for the last 10 years. And it is the closest to gaming perfection.

Okey, i think i have to pre-order this badboy.

atleast 15 sites claimed this to be the best ps3 game till date including IGN

I will be buying a PS3 eventually primarily to play this game, it looks amazing. Thankfully most, if not all of the console's greatest hits are sold as low priced collections.

Erasus

Just for fun Im gonna do a full translation of the ++ out of +++++ Aftonbladet article. 7.5 is a decent score guys dont be mad at polygon.

Eusis

Nope. It was rumored in this thread thanks to Jim Sterling..but Arne and few others popped the games and have confirmed that regardless of the difficulty chosen it's 1 bullet to the head and dead for the normal humans.

The "solider enemies", 2 bullets. 1 bullet to damage the helmet, another for the kill.
That's good, then maybe I will play on Normal afterall whenever I do rather than Easy, then just toggle if I'm having serious problems.
Because it's beneficial to know when the game accepts such button presses no?
Yeah, games really have gotten more complicated and thus more instruction and guidance is necessary at times, but that's why a toggle's good... and maybe for those games that actually have NES/SNES style simplicity to axe it or just have an optional tutorial.

rCIZZLE

Is there a specific reason this is coming out on a Friday? I'm glad it is, just surprised since almost all games I buy at launch are on Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom