• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legacy of Kain - Remembering past games, imagining future ones.

glaurung

DarienA said:
I enjoyed each and every flawed game of this series.... rich story, rich characters, rich world... hell I even enjoyed the more combat heavy aspect of Defiance... I just hate that we're left with the story up in the air...
Hylden leader in Janos body, Elder God temporarily defeated...

Damn man, you should have spoiler-tagged that.

Now I need to go back and finish playing Defiance...

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
DarienA said:
I enjoyed each and every flawed game of this series.... rich story, rich characters, rich world... hell I even enjoyed the more combat heavy aspect of Defiance... I just hate that we're left with the story up in the air...
Hylden leader in Janos body, Elder God temporarily defeated
Actually, the first plot point is explained in Blood Omen 2 (the game is set cronologically after the events of Defiance):
the Hylden Lord leaves Janos's body and enters the Sarafan Lord's body, so what's unclear is what happens to Janos after he falls inside the portal to the Hylden world. The events from Blood Omen 2 are the reason why Kain says that Janos had to stay dead after SR2 (the whole game narrates the "new memories" born once Raziel had changed history): Janos'd be the gateway for the Hylden Lord and the Hylden race to invade Nosgoth once the Pillars that sealed them crumbled. Had he stayed dead (at least a little bit longer), nothing would have happened
Two more unexplained loose ends are
who resurrected Vorador before Blood Omen 2, and who gave the younger Kain the purified Soul Reaver containing Raziel's soul. Both scenes were supposed to be featured in Defiance, or so I hear, but they were cut for time constraints

No_Style

I recall playing Blood Omen 2 on PC, being frustrated by a boss and uninstalling the game in disgust. And that's my memory of The Legacy of Kain. I never went back to any of the other games.

Draft

Soul Reaver, to me, defines the Playstation. It was that game which was just so crazy compared to the 16 bit generation that it made me believe in CD gaming.

One of the greatest games ever made, natch.

Soul Reaver HD should be on XBLA/PSN.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I would consider it one of my favorite series even though I only played the first two games.

That's how much I like them.

oracrest

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain was my system seller for the PS1.

I always thought it was the best, the most grounded and simple story, and the dialogue was well written, but not yet a thesaurus-a-thon just for the sake of it.

"Nupraptor's Head" :)

Draft

oracrest said:
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain was my system seller for the PS1.

I always thought it was the best, the most grounded and simple story, and the dialogue was well written, but not yet a thesaurus-a-thon just for the sake of it.

"Nupraptor's Head" :)
Alas, I knew him well... well, not really.

That's off the top of my head, too. Some of my favorite voice bits are from that game.

I only played Soul Reaver... on my Dreamcast. I really really enjoyed it, but never picked up any of the other games in the series.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Oh, how much I love Legacy of Kain. Great thread although it also reminds me that we will probably never see a new LoK
and Shadow Man

Carlisle

I would absolutely love to take part in a GAF plays... thread for this series. I have all the games, and have progressed to various parts in each of them, but have left them all incomplete and unplayed for several years now. It's the one series I keep meaning to finish and I feel like I could blow through the whole thing in a dedicated month. I just need the motivation to start it
and for new games to stop fucking coming out all the goddamn time

Gribbix

Carlisle said:
I would absolutely love to take part in a GAF plays... thread for this series.

The 10 year anniversary of Soul Reaver is coming up next month (August 16th). Perfect timing for a "GAF plays" thread.

Splatt

Kinda pathetic, but I played all Legacy games except the first two (Soul Reaver and Blood Omen).

The only one I've completed is Defiance. I remember that the otherworld levels were so tedious and I hated going through them. The story and voice acting was ace though. I still remember Kain's dialogue about a coin landing in the middle.

Soul Reaver 2, I've played until I realised all puzzles were block puzzles. Well, at least to the point I got to. It just kind of bored me with it's questionable gameplay decisions and even the story, which I've found quite interesting, couldn't keep me playing. I may revisit it someday.

Blood Omen 2 was... ok. I've played back when I had nothing to play and I had fun draining blood from innocent civilians. Story made no sense to me, though. All I knew was that I had to beat some monsters.

I beat Blood Omen, Blood Omen 2 and Soul Reaver 2. I never got ahold of the original Soul Reaver, other than a demo. I was actually disappointed that Soul Reaver was 3D instead of 2D like Blood Omen was, but I never got to play through the whole thing.

I really enjoyed Soul Reaver 2 and Blood Omen 2 wasn't all bad as far as I was concerned. It was probably because I loved Kain so much though. I actually bought Defiance but I think I never opened it. I wonder if I still have it sitting around somewhere. I should at least finish the series.

Snowden

Banned
Jocchan said:
The events from Blood Omen 2 are the reason why Kain says that Janos had to stay dead after SR2 (the whole game narrates the "new memories" born once Raziel had changed history): Janos'd be the gateway for the Hylden Lord and the Hylden race to invade Nosgoth once the Pillars that sealed them crumbled. Had he stayed dead (at least a little bit longer), nothing would have happened.
After Blood Omen 2, I've always felt a bit mixed on the true reason Kain was so worried over the Hylden's "trap" af the end of SR2. While it's true than Janos staying dead would've prevented the events of BO2, the fact that Kain was in fact able to defeat the Hylden Lord and shut the dimensional portal, so the only real thing I can see Kain being concerned about from this new chain of events is what happened to Janos after he fell into the portal. Since we never see any fallout from this discussed during Defiance, I'm just left confused as to why Kain was originally seemed to come off as so utterly defeated at the end of SR2.

In reality, I suspect the real answer is that Blood Omen 2's willy-nilly "established canon be damned" approach to the story really fucked up the Hylden's originally intended plan and role in the series quite a bit, and while Defiance took steps to turn the ship right, it was impossible to totally correct BO2's fuck-ups in a single game, while at the same time moving the story forward.

Erebus

I remember playing Soul Reaver countless hours on my PSX. The game was a technical achievement back in the day it came out. Also, it has to be the first open-world game I ever played.

I'd love to see a new LoK game sometime or even an HD remake of the original Soul Reaver.

By the way, what's the superior version of SR? PC or Dreamcast?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I have very fond memories of Soul Reaver on my Dreamcast.

Still puts to shame many modern games.

Aren't vampires fashionable again? Time for a series reboot, Square Enix Europe!

Draft said:
Soul Reaver, to me, defines the Playstation. It was that game which was just so crazy compared to the 16 bit generation that it made me believe in CD gaming.

Blood Omen on XBLA/PSN would be nice considering the only version you can play on consoles is crap. The PS1 version of Blood Omen took forever to load.

ArjanN

Powerslave said:
I don't think Defiance looked better than SR2. Defiance had a very generic non-artistic visual art.

Defiance definately looked better from a technical point of view. More detailed characters, it ran better, etc.

The art style is a matter of taste I guess.

asa

Ctrl + f: "Chakan" -> no match = This thread fails..

Blood omen 2 was heavily influnced by unfinished Chakan dreamcast project.. it still hurts to think about :(

RIP
Chakan_and_Sirens-Mural-Chakan.JPG

More info about the similarities and Chakan consept art

ArjanN said:
Defiance definately looked better from a technical point of view. More detailed characters, it ran better, etc.

The art style is a matter of taste I guess.

Technical, yes. And the art style wasn't defined as much. I would have liked to see a few more filters and better lighting.

Snowden

Banned
asa said:
Ctrl + f: "Chakan" -> no match = This thread fails..

Blood omen 2 was heavily influnced by unfinished Chakan dreamcast project.. it still hurts to think about :(
I prefer to pretend I don't know this dark tale. :lol

Lost Worlds is full of interesting stuff on all the cuts throughout the games. I remember when Blincoln would actually e-mail me when he added new stuff.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I would like them to remake the first LOK. One of the few 2d games that didn't age too well because of the loading, but still fundamentally a great game and a great story.

A.Romero

Draft said:

I'd definitely buy that. Day one.

teiresias

The only game in the series that I played was Soul Reaver on the Dreamcast. I thought it was really cool, but never went back and played the original on the PSX or any of the sequels.

If they'd go ahead and release the first game on PSN I'd be tempted to play it and pull out my dreamcast to play through Soul Reaver again - though for convenience sake I may prefer they release the PSX version of Soul Reaver on PSN too (though that would probably be painful knowing what the dreamcast version looked like).

Oddly enough, I was just in Gamestop the other day and they had practically every game in the series available used and I thought about picking all of the PS2 games up (since I'm anticipating the first game getting a PSN release . . . right?!?!), so the timing of this topic is great.

Kittonwy said:
Why do you refer to the "Metroid Prime"-style gameplay of Soul Reaver when Soul Reaver existed well before Metroid Prime? Soul Reaver had great level designs and puzzles, brilliant boss fights, and a much more seamless environment than Metroid Prime ever did without the use of elevator cutscenes.

I thought I explained this in my OP:

Soul Reaver was a marvel, creating a non-linear world of exploration, secrets, and upgrade-based progression well in advance of Metroid Prime.

Soul Reaver's style of progression, in which an open-world is made more accesible as upgrades are earned, reminded me very-much of Metroid Prime. The themes of a world-gone-wrong, and the idea of exploration for the sake of it, really resonate between the games.

Die Squirrel Die said:
I feel that if they were to revisit the franchise, like you said, they'd probably have to distance themselves from most of the plot up to this point. Where I disagree with you is on then reintroducing the stuff from the previous games at a later date. I kinda feel that where the series declined from Soul Reaver was that plotwise the later games so immersed themselves in the earlier game that the people who had come onboard for SR probably felt at a loss with what they were playing. Gameplaywise they then seemed to lose their sense of identity.

I make the suggestion in the OP because this is exactly the approach SR took. The game introduces and defines its new world and mythos, and after establishing and building this, begins to slowly link it to the previous games (The Soul Reaver itself, Ariel, Sarafan, Moebius, etc). I'm suggesting a theoretical LOK6 could follow a similar structre as it has proved successful before. I do think that as
Raziel's story is over
, the more complex, obscure threads can be left to rest though.

Ifrit said:
I love this series, btw this thread lacks the Legacy of Kain timeline chart, where is it?

timeline.gif

Gribbix said:
The 10 year anniversary of Soul Reaver is coming up next month (August 16th). Perfect timing for a "GAF plays" thread.

I'd happily join in, would be my first involvement with a "GAF Plays" incidentally.

DarkUSS said:
By the way, what's the superior version of SR? PC or Dreamcast?

Both. PC has a much higher resolution, Dreamcast has significantly superior textures.

Snowden said:
Lost Worlds is full of interesting stuff on all the cuts throughout the games. I remember when Blincoln would actually e-mail me when he added new stuff.

I helped Ben Lincoln with contributions to The Lost Worlds by: writing the first SR2 and BO2 hacking guides (under my old alias "Divine Shadow"), providing the SR1 possesion images, discovering the female cut vampire buried in the SR2 game code, and helping here and there with other stuff. Hell, there are still a load of hacked savestates on the site that I engineered for him. We also collaborated on his 2003 April Fool's Joke which was a lot of fun.

I was quite a part of the LOK community back in the day, and was one of the mods of the bustling Nosgothic Realm forum, now a shadow of its former self. They were good times.

Majmun

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver is my personal best game ever.
I was stunned by the great gameplay mechanics, the beautiful graphics that oozed atmosphere and the deep storyline.

No other game has grabbed me like that, so far.

I hope there will be a PSN release of it soon. My Ps1 version doesn't work anymore.

Snowden

Banned
As fond as my memories are for Soul Reaver, I'm not sure how much patience I have for block puzzles nowadays. May be worth braving it anyway though. It's been a long time since I played any game in the series.

Actually, anybody know off-hand how rare/expensive the games are on PC, and how good the port jobs on them are?

The games were pretty fun back in the day, but damn did they have some nasty art at times. Kain alone has to be one of the most unmarketable game characters ever created.

BlingBling!! said:
The games were pretty fun back in the day, but damn did they have some nasty art at times. Kain alone has to be one of the most unmarketable game characters ever created.

kain_11.jpg

Don't really see the problem, I think his design is original and awesome.

lopaz

Banned
BlingBling!! said:

He is beautiful! It's like his head is a clawed hand grasping an onion.

Don't really see the problem, I think his design is original and awesome.

He looks like his face got run over by a truck and then a dog took a crap on his head. Plus he has 3 fingers which is also insta-fail. And hes partially bald with a white mullet. Razael was a much more compelling character design (sans the three fingers), they should have redesigned Kain.

Amazing that I wasn't aware of the 3-finger law, amazing.

Yeah, I think its written down somewhere in the Big Book of Marketing that if your product features a character with three fingers you dont get to make phat lootz and your character ends up with a white mullet.

BlingBling!! said:
Yeah, I think its written down somewhere in the Big Book of Marketing that if your product features a character with three fingers you dont get to make phat lootz and your character ends up with a white mullet.
Why the hell do you keep talking about marketing?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Soul Reaver 1 is one of the greatest games of all time. It's genre defining. It's ahead of its time. It does everything so many later games get credit for and it does it way better.

I hope that CD is making their new TR game in the SR mold.

Why the hell do you keep talking about marketing?

Because aside from a small group of hardcore gamers, no one remembers this series. And why is that? Bad marketing of the series when it could have kicked ass. Just look at the Legacy of Kain box, does that say AWESOME to you??

Minsc

Gold Member
I only vaguely remember playing Legacy of Kain, never made it past that one. I did enjoy it, hell if nothing else it's a vampire game, and it's a pretty untapped genre for some odd reason. Wouldn't mind revisiting it if it ever gets revived.

Nice work on the recap in the OP.

Zizbuka

Banned
With all the crappy game based movies being made, someone please make a trilogy for the Blood Omen series.

The story was very hard to follow, especially with the games years apart and technically out of order.

I WANT A MOVIE NOW

** not by that Uwie Boll guy **

Snowden

Banned
There's a compilation floating around the net that compiles every major cutscene from SR through Defiance and intercuts them with bits of gameplay footage for continuity. Quality wasn't the greatest, but as a means of enjoying the full story without having to go through and play all the games over, it served its purpose admirably.

Kittonwy

Banned
Splatt said:
Kinda pathetic, but I played all Legacy games except the first two (Soul Reaver and Blood Omen).

The only one I've completed is Defiance. I remember that the otherworld levels were so tedious and I hated going through them. The story and voice acting was ace though. I still remember Kain's dialogue about a coin landing in the middle.

Soul Reaver 2, I've played until I realised all puzzles were block puzzles. Well, at least to the point I got to. It just kind of bored me with it's questionable gameplay decisions and even the story, which I've found quite interesting, couldn't keep me playing. I may revisit it someday.

Blood Omen 2 was... ok. I've played back when I had nothing to play and I had fun draining blood from innocent civilians. Story made no sense to me, though. All I knew was that I had to beat some monsters.

Soul Reaver was the best one, the puzzles were awesome, the boss fights were awesome.

AKS

Danielsan said:
The original Soul Reaver is without a doubt one of my favourite PS1 games. The atmosphere, the writing and the voice acting are all stellar. I've only played and finished Soul Reaver 2 after that but I found it severely lacking in the gameplay department (particularly the clunky combat). The story kept me going though.

I can only hope that that someday Square Enix Europe sells or outsources the IP to Naughty Dog. They are the one studio who can restore the series to former or greater glory.

I wish Amy Hennig could have taken this IP with her when she left for Naughty Dog. Good god almighty, can you imagine what a Soul Reaver game would look and sound like with a Naughty Dog Engine 2.0 and 7.1 LPCM treatment?!? Imagine the voice acting and cutscenes!

Top Bottom