• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legacy of Kain - Remembering past games, imagining future ones.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
ifu14n.jpg

I sought out a 60gb PS3 for the sole purpose of preserving my collection. :lol

I love these games so much. My mind is probably filled with a ridiculous amount of bias towards the franchise but I love all the games, including Blood Omen 2 and especially Defiance.

I would love to see a sequel.

A number of sites are reporting a rumour that a new Legacy of Kain is in the works.

The source is Siliconera's interview with Crystal Dynamics in which they admirably ask the vital question:

What can you say about The Legacy of Kain franchise?

Darrell Gallagher, Head of Studio: I’ll answer that one. We see the fan feedback on Legacy of Kain. There’s nothing we can talk about right now, but we can tell fans we definitely hear it.

As much as I'd like it to be something substantial, I think its a complete non-story. They've been saying similar "We can't talk about it right now" for over half-a-decade. I'm just posting it as its cropping up on a few sites, and before some unsuspecting GAFfer sees the headline and makes a thread.

In other news, here is a long lost video with footage from the never-seen often-denied never-released Sega Saturn version of Blood Omen. And in case you missed it, someone found a Pirate Ship in the game fourteen years after it came out.

dralla

weird, i was just thinking about buying SR off the PSN store. i had it on dreamcast but never finished it [or remember it]. any chance it holds up well today?

Danielsan

dralla said:
weird, i was just thinking about buying SR off the PSN store. i had it on dreamcast but never finished it [or remember it]. any chance it holds up well today?
Not sure if the gameplay holds up (haven't played it since the PS1 days), but it's production values hold up well. Easily the greatest PS1 game.
Every month or so I rewatch the intro of the first game. Such a godly cinematic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmnk0aVjsAY

The music that plays when he gets cast into the abyss is amazing.

Danielsan said:
I really really want a new Legacy of Kain game, but only if Amy Hennig writes the story.

Amy Hennig is the best writer in the industry. She's gifted with writing beautiful, intensely eloquent dialogue to convey rage, betrayal and pain (Soul Reaver) wonder, exploration, and manipulation (Soul Reaver 2) and loss, regret, submission and hope (Defiance). Her ideas are intelligent, the explanations of vampiric weaknesses, how temporal paradoxes form, and the dual-messiah of Defiance are complexities, conveyed with clarity.

She needs Templeman, Bell, Doyle and Jay (RIP), the best voice actors in the industry, because to have anything less for her words would be a crime.

If she's not on board then it would be regrettable. I'd risk it as long as any replacement writer was talented and proven. Care must be taken though, we don't want another Blood Omen 2 on our hands.

dralla said:

Still a very solid game. Though if you can, play the Dreamcast or PC versions for better textures or HD respectively. The PC version on maximum resolution is very nice.

Danielsan said:
The music that plays when he gets cast into the abyss is amazing.

Yes it is, Its called Ozar Midrashim, by Information Society. I believe he wrote it before the game.

Sorry to bump this thread, but I was thinking about getting into the series on the recommendation of a friend. Which versions of the PS2/XBOX generation games are the best? Should I just stick with PS2 for all of them or get the XBOX ones if I can?

tsab

Sorry to bump this thread, but I was thinking about getting into the series on the recommendation of a friend. Which versions of the PS2/XBOX generation games are the best? Should I just stick with PS2 for all of them or get the XBOX ones if I can?

Why not PC? Even a recent on board GPU will play them max.

regardless:

Blood Omen: PS1 (PC version has many problems with recent Windows)
Soul Reaver: Dreamcast or PC (the DC has better models/textures)
Soul Reaver 2: PC
Blood Omen 2: either one
Defiance: PC or Xbox

All PC versions except the first one are available on gog.com, DRM Free. $5.99 each
All 3 Soul Reavers are available on Steam, $/€9.99 each

Why not PC? Even a recent on board GPU will play them max.

regardless:

Blood Omen: PS1 (PC version has many problems with recent Windows)
Soul Reaver: Dreamcast or PC (the DC has better models/textures)
Soul Reaver 2: PC
Blood Omen 2: either one
Defiance: PC or Xbox

All PC versions except the first one are available on gog.com, DRM Free. $5.99 each
All 3 Soul Reavers are available on Steam, $/€9.99 each

Do the PCs have decent controller support? If I played it on PC I'd want to use my 360 controller. The reason I brought up console versions is because I can get them for $2 each at a local shop.

tsab

Do the PCs have decent controller support? If I played it on PC I'd want to use my 360 controller. The reason I brought up console versions is because I can get them for $2 each at a local shop.

I think nativelly the 360 cannot be used. But with a little bit of tweak with xpadder you can.

Although for $2 go for the console versions myself.

Top Bottom