• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the WIld Combat

Coda

I wanted to comment on the combat in Breath of the Wild. I feel like for the first time in the series, the combat looks really fun and allows for some really cool creativity never seen before in a Zelda game. I like how you can jump off things and target in slo-mo in mid air, use bomb arrows to create massive explosions, and engage in melee combat that has good impact and physics.

So what do you all think? I know many of you are naturally excited for a new full fledged entry in the Zelda series, but for me I always felt like Zelda needed some modern flair and combat and I couldn't be more excited for the game now that it has a really cool combat system. Are some of you like me and wouldn't be too excited for a new Zelda if it didn't have these cool mechanics?

Tz7XxqU.gif

giphy.gif

5e21cc352ec5c58b4e5b28171d72bb13f1e7885a.gif

13ruce

Banned
Agreed!
The options and parrying and even shield boarding and fighting look very good. Heck even horseback combat looks fun now.

The combat is so improved and the option are limitless wich is great.

Flurry rush looks very cool and i can't wait to play thos game and discover more combat mechanics.

The weapon throw break mechanic is genius and i will miss that when i get the master sword maybe you van throw it too and pick it up again xd.

Caelus

The ability to steal and keep any enemy weapon alone is making me excited, along with all the physics-related shenanigans.

Imagine stealing a dual-wield Shiekah energy katana, or a Goron hammer that lights the surrounding area on fire....

JoeM86

My only issue is how the buttons have changed :p

In my short time with the game, my muscle memory kept trying to play it like Twilight Princess/Wind Waker/Majora's Mask/Ocarina of Time, but that kept making me put my weapon away rather than jump to the side etc.

Coda

Wanted to clarify too that I have always enjoyed Zelda games and many are masterpieces, but I'm a gamer very much into games that have slick mechanics and combat (games like Bayonetta 2, Vanquish, God Hand) so having a bombastic combat system in Zelda seems like a blast.

mlclmtckr

Banned
When I first saw BOTW gameplay footage I though it looked like Shadow of the Colossus Souls.

My expectations have come down somewhat but I'd love to see a little of those games' DNA in Zelda.

Nanashrew

Banned
There was also a scene in the latest Zelda trailer where Link is tethered to some animal while surfing on sand with his bow out while a large sandworm(?) like creature is behind him.

Game looks really fun.

Combat in games has been leaning toward more sandbox type encounters for the last few years now and it's a perfect fit for this series. In a way, it's a modernization of what Zelda already had when it began decades ago.

Rootbeer

Banned
It still blows my mind that I will be able to play this on the train on my way to work...

Switch is damn near my dream console.

phanphare

Banned
yeah the combat looks really great. it looks like they've taken some ideas from wind waker and skyward sword to their logical conclusion. from wind waker the ability to equip a bunch of different weapons and have different move sets. from skyward sword the inventory management type stuff with items, resources, and weapons/gear.

really excited to try it out

MCN

Banned
So what's you're post saying then?

My post is saying that there seems to be a contingent of people who seem to love shooting down any praise of Zelda as soon as it appears.

It's almost as if they're insecure about something. Heaven forbid Nintendo should have a good game.

Yeah I always thought the combat was almost entirely uninteresting in the Zelda games I've played. It actually looks cool in this one.

GAMETA

Banned
It looks really great. The addition of new weapons and combat mechanics seems to have also allowed for an increase the difficulty of the game (which is awesome).

PS. I do miss the rolling tho.

Caelus

My post is saying that there seems to be a contingent of people who seem to love shooting down any praise of Zelda as soon as it appears.

Yeah, the strawmen always show up in Zelda threads - which is just strange.

People assume a lot of Zelda fans are also Nintendo only fans, but I'm used to a lot of open-world game mechanics and their combat, and this game still looks fresh and exciting to me.

Not every mechanic needs to be brand-spanking new, a polished refinement is ultimately what I seek.

ckaneo

My only issue is how the buttons have changed :p

In my short time with the game, my muscle memory kept trying to play it like Twilight Princess/Wind Waker/Majora's Mask/Ocarina of Time, but that kept making me put my weapon away rather than jump to the side etc.
I think I remember reading some could be changed in the options menu. But it might have just been the jump button

Albo

My favourite thing is that the enemy AI looks improved and more sophisticated which makes for more challenging and engaging combat than previous zelda games.

It's almost as if they're insecure about something. Heaven forbid Nintendo should have a good game.

From that post, it seems to me that the insecurity is all on your side. Get over yourself.

On topic, yes the combat looks fun, and more engaging in the past. Not that I ever had a problem with combat in the past, though.

Do we know if there's a proper "dodge" button / dodge roll / some kind of sidestep shuffle dodge ala Bloodborne? Or is it just - back away / jump out of the way?

***EDIT***

Did... Did he just smack that guy's projectile back at him? Hold me GAF.

Not only is there a dodge mechanic, but dodging at just the right moment can activate a slow motion flurry rush ability

Also, knocking attacks back in Zelda games is a longstanding tradition. I for one am ready for another round of Deadman's Volley during the final boss fight

Smasher89

I really hope combat is harder now then before. Getting knowledge of the game for finding certain weapons should be rewarding that way, if I breeze through with any weapon easily it's a waste of potencial for the game!

The combat looks pretty nice but I wonder if enemy type and placement has been a focus for the fun factor. Like setting up an enemy to get destroyed a very specific way that combines your combat skill, weapon type, and environment.

I'm pretty excited for it, I just hope the frame rate on the WiiU version doesn't tank when you do more creative stuff.

Lol I am not hopeful about the Wii U version

One thing I love about it being physics based is that you can potentially do shit that the developers never intended. The E3 demo where one player shield boarded around enemy attacks and dodged everything just by styling on it comes to mind.

The M.O.B

Reminds me of the mechanics from ye old jax and daxter games.

https://youtu.be/4Hjlnvs1nt8?t=1m30s

Such a smooth transition from gliding to (attempting) riding a horse. Reminds me a lot of Saints row in that they don't let anything stop the fluidity of the game. Obviously not the most realistic thing, but it keeps the game going without awkward pauses.

Pif

Banned
And people say this game is bringing nothing new to the open world genre.

The E3 stampede to play this says everything.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Yeah I always thought the combat was almost entirely uninteresting in the Zelda games I've played. It actually looks cool in this one.
I thought that was true the majority of the games, but the combat with the 8+1 ways you could hit enemies was quite neat in Skyward Sword.

What's the point of playing this wounded defensive animal about complaints when this is the most anticipated game on this forum?

watomsk

Neo Member
I love the weapons breaking and how important it is to have the right equipment (and enough weapons) before fighting enemies.

But I dislike the whole perfect dodge, flurry rush, and in general slowing down time. It seems like a really unnecessary mechanic that gives you an unfair advantage over the enemies. I hope there are enemies that can block your flurry rush or counter attack in some way.

One thing I love about it being physics based is that you can potentially do shit that the developers never intended. The E3 demo where one player shield boarded around enemy attacks and dodged everything just by styling on it comes to mind.

I love how you can throw your sword at an enemy, then use the magnesis rune to manipulate the sword you just threw (assuming it's a metal sword) and just whack them with the sword from afar lol

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Yes, it's a thing we have never seen in the history of video games

I dont know if that post was sarcasm or not but lol.

I see what some ppl mean. Yea its great to see it in a Zelda game but come on. Its not even the first time its been in a Zelda game.

I vaguely remember some Zelda game where Link could already do this.

I love the weapons breaking and how important it is to have the right equipment (and enough weapons) before fighting enemies.

But I dislike the whole perfect dodge, flurry rush, and in general slowing down time. It seems like a really unnecessary mechanic that gives you an unfair advantage over the enemies. I hope there are enemiws that can block your flurry rush or counter attack in some way.
Do we know how tight the timing on Flurry Rush is? Abilities like that are usually balanced by having strict timing requirements where failing means taking an attack you could've otherwise avoided

I dont know if that post was sarcasm or not but lol.

I see what some ppl mean. Yea its great to see it in a Zelda game but come on. Its not even the first time its been in a Zelda game.

I vaguely remember some Zelda game where Link could already do this.

As I said before, Deadman's Volley is a goddamn Zelda tradition at this point

The E3 stampede to play this says everything.

It isn't really, pretty much all the mechanics are things we've seen before, but it's got that Nintendo polish, and looks super fun.

Top Bottom