• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

I never claimed I knew everything. My comment was simply in relation to the open world aspect.

And yes,I do think I know enough to make a judgment on that aspect on it.

Obviously the game has more to it that sets it apart from other games

from what I have seen those towers are more like the fishes in WW than the towers in ubisoft games based on functions

I need to stop reading these previews.

It's sounding as if this might end up in my personal "top tier" of Zelda games (Ocarina, Link to the Past, Skyward Sword, Minish Cap).

The only thing that's worrying me is weapon destruction, which I hate in games.

For what it's worth, some of these previews say it's one of the best implementations of such a system. That it's not designed to punish you, but to encourage you to play with a variety of weapons and playstyles, that the variety of weapons never makes it such that you'll completely run out of good options.

Cucurbitacée;230959117 said:
Answer is locked behind embargo.

Ah, darn. I'm guessing yes. Because it doesn't make sense to say "don't mention that this mechanic doesn't exist" in an embargo, right?

"Don't mention this mechanic" seems more realistic.

Effect

I need to stop reading these previews.

It's sounding as if this might end up in my personal "top tier" of Zelda games (Ocarina, Link to the Past, Skyward Sword, Minish Cap).

Yeah I've stopped reading since this morning. I've gotten all the impressions I need. I'm ready to find out more (good or bad) myself as I play the game. I don't want to be pushed to lean in any other direction. I've seen enough to know though that I'm going to love this game regardless of any minor hiccups in the grand scheme of things.

Ridley1

Neo Member
I dont agree. Zelda is a shakeup of Zelda, but it really isnt new for the open world genre.

That said, nothing wrong with that at all.

I don't think so. Playing devil's advocate think about Ocarina of Time and its Z targeting and camera. That had huge affects and impacts on future 3d games to come.

Or what Wind Waker was doing with the character model and tessellation on the water surface. There were things in that game that weren't done again until Uncharted.

To the current state of open world games, I'm highly critical of the attempted balance of structure vs freedom. Take Skyrim... there is a reason the dungeons are below ground (aside from having fewer variations in texture). They could drop that anywhere on the map and have it make sense. You can give the player freedom, but you also need some guidance to drive meaningful, designed experiences too. That's been lacking.

Zelda games have traditionally been in a league of their own for those structured experiences... and perhaps even to a fault. Today's open world games are too open... also perhaps to a fault. I'm excited and hopeful to see how Nintendo handles this dichotomy in Breath of the Wild and early indications hint that it could be a lesson for future open world games. Because the current trend is make things more and more open (example: no man's sky). What if Zelda can be a better game for walking the balance more effectively and swinging the pendulum the other way?

From the Kotaku preview:
My doubt faded. My sense that this world was as random as it initially appeared melted. There was a designer’s hand all over this place, just more subtly.
http://kotaku.com/early-impressions-of-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-1792716002

Caelus

For what it's worth, some of these previews say it's one of the best implementations of such a system. That it's not designed to punish you, but to encourage you to play with a variety of weapons and playstyles, that the variety of weapons never makes it such that you'll completely run out of good options.

I think out of all the game's systems, even if this one's well implemented, people's mileage will vary. For instance, if I get a good weapon I'm not sure I'll ever use it ever except in a boss fight maybe since I'm very nitpicky with using powerful consumables.

But the weapon variety in this game looks so good (fucking mops, dude) that I think I'll have less of an issue with that. Weapon crafting + repair helps too, if the latter is confirmed.

Another question for folks who have played. In terms of inventory - is there a place to store items/gear/weapons so I don't have to toss them away?

One of the previews had the guy talk about putting map stickers down where he saw good weapons so he knew to come back to them. He might mean they're in chests or he might mean they were just sitting on the ground. If it's the latter it would mean that you can drop items and they'll stay there, which is essentially a storage space.

Wollan

I think it sounds interesting since there's seemingly no focus on repairing them (that's where traditional weapon tear and wear becomes tedious).

It's like Halo were the two-weapon system initially sounded limiting but it turned out brilliant since you pick them up on the fly for the situation and dispose of them in action. Made you think about your engagements in a different way.

Plum

from what I have seen those towers are more like the fishes in WW than the towers in ubisoft games based on functions

The Ubisoft Fish in Wind Waker were the worst part. They were as bad as the Ubisoft Map Stations in Super Metroid or the Ubisoft Tingle in Majora's Mask!

I don't think so. Playing devil's advocate think about Ocarina of Time and its Z targeting and camera. That had huge affects and impacts on future 3d games to come.

Or what Wind Waker was doing with the character model and tessellation on the water surface. There were things in that game that weren't done again until Uncharted.

To the current state of open world games, I'm highly critical of the attempted balance of structure vs freedom. Take Skyrim... there is a reason the dungeons are below ground (aside from having fewer variations in texture). They could drop that anywhere on the map and have it make sense. You can give the player freedom, but you also need some guidance to drive meaningful, designed experiences too. That's been lacking.

Zelda games have traditionally been in a league of their own for those structured experiences... and perhaps even to a fault. Today's open world games are too open... also perhaps to a fault. I'm excited and hopeful to see how Nintendo handles this dichotomy in Breath of the Wild and early indications hint that it could be a lesson for future open world games. Because the current trend is make things more and more open (example: no man's sky). What if Zelda can be a better game for walking the balance more effectively and swinging the pendulum the other way?

From the Kotaku preview:

Mm thats a choice of words right there. I been expecting it the whole time but everybody on gaf like to harp on the past.

Cant wait for this game to drop. This is some new shit not some OLD shit

forrest

formerly nacire
Shit that is awful

20-25 fps for long periods...

They could release a day one patch i guess..

Almost makes me want to play portable only..

If lowering the foliage count and draw distance detail will improve any fps issues, I'll gladly take that in a patch or at least the option to adjust it on my own.

sammex

I know it's hyperbolic, but I think this is going to be an all-time classic.

giphy.gif

ONE MORE WEEK MAN

Must not get over hyped....

Hindl

I'm a little confused about how towers are working in this game.

You climb to the top and activate them. That reveals the topography of the area that you're currently in. No icons or anything though. And then from there, they expect you to look around at the surrounding landscape for interesting things and go find them. This is aided by leaving beacons around the world while you're scouting from the top of the tower

ckaneo

I know, but having giant towers unlock the map is very ubisoft. I'm well aware that you don't get quest markers that way. My point was, I really doubt Zelda has noticeable revolutionary changes to open world structure when they don't need to be changed. The game obviously can be revolutionary in other areas like it's physics or story telling, or items or something like that. But open world in general? To quote the great Charles Barkley, I may be wrong but I doubt it.

Okay I just saw the part in the Polygon video where a mounted Bokoblin is chasing after them and an electric Keese flies in from the opposite direction, misses them, and hits the Bokoblin instead, killing it.

Osahi

My favorite game of all time. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh. Can't wait.

Any impressions on dungeons? I'm not risking reading through all this thread...

Dungeons are (edit: NOT) replaced by optional shrines, which you need to clear four of for every heart container or stamina update you want. Most are clever, short puzzels. Some are hcombat oriented, but usually only a few enemies.

Edit: sorry folks. My bad. There are dungeons it seems. Still have to encounter my first one.

Dungeons are replaced by optional shrines, which you need to clear four of for every heart container or stamina update you want. Most are clever, short puzzels. Some are combat oriented, but usually only a few enemies.

This is outright false.

There are dungeons as well.

There aren't that many open world games with this focus on physics based, systems driven gameplay and level of polish.

I don't know how to answer that, but i know that puzzles are physics based and you can solve them in many different ways with your items and runes, which sounds like a huge improvement compared to the (already great) items based puzzles in previous titles.

But I want both, new physics style puzzles and new items to use in those puzzles. I want boomerangs, hookshots, different elemental powers, and so on. I didn't care for the ALBW approach. There is something magical about getting a new item in a dungeon. And I know the one dungeon they played had no item, so that sucks already. Some things shouldn't have to change.

Hindl

I know, but having giant towers unlock the map is very ubisoft. I'm well aware that you don't get quest markers that way. My point was, I really doubt Zelda has noticeable revolutionary changes to open world structure when they don't need to be changed. The game obviously can be revolutionary in other areas like it's physics or story telling, or items or something like that. But open world in general? To quote the great Charles Barkley, I may be wrong but I doubt it.

Well for one example, there's a level of openness that I don't think has been really done in open games. The level of freedom in this game dwarfs even Skyrim. Even if you beeline the main quest in Skyrim, it still takes several hours of completing a certain questline before you can face the final boss. Here, you can go straight to Hyrule Castle to fight the final boss, even if you'll most likely die.

And then if they manage to tell a compelling story in spite of all that freedom I'd think that would be another big change. Tons of games have multiple endings, but if you find a way to structure the story in a way that's satisfying for players that beelined straight to Hyrule after getting up out of the cave, and players that completed every dungeon and shrine and experienced everything the game had to offer, that would be another big deal that hasn't really been seen.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Dungeons are replaced by optional shrines, which you need to clear four of for every heart container or stamina update you want. Most are clever, short puzzels. Some are combat oriented, but usually only a few enemies.

You work for Trump administration?

Ugh. Wish I didn't watch.

But a new question - the village(s) in the video seem very traditional Zelda, as in enclosed on most sides with designated entrances and exits... would there be anything stopping me from gliding from a high point directly into a village from above?
A stamina bar not big enough to climb such a high point.

Top Bottom