• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

I wish reporters wouldn't speak negatively about horizon compared to Zelda. I mean most people saw Zelda being the better game after the e3 blowout.

Horizon has reviewed tremendously and GG (gg GG) deserves a lot of props for nailing the open world genre with their first attempt. A Uncharted 2 level improvement isn't out of the question and I hope we have a new fantastic series.

Hindl

No but ive seen enough of the world and the blatant ubisoft towers

You've seen around 1% of the world, and the towers don't fill your map with icons. They literally just fill in the topography and you're supposed to climb high up and find new things to do just by looking

Journalist from Gamekult said on live that, strangely, most of the framerate problems were tied to the Plateau (the first area) and weren't as present in other areas.

I wonder if it's because the Great Plateau has a lot of landscape styles all smushed together in a dense region, whereas they're all more spread out in the rest of the world.

The frame drops around the grass need to be fixed. That's going to be really annoying.

Journalist from Gamekult said on live that, strangely, most of the framerate problems were tied to the Plateau (the first area) and weren't as present in other areas.

That's good, and also strange.

Here's a question that may have been answered: in some of the videos we see a third gauge above the temperature and sound gauges. It looks almost like a little radio signal. Do we know what that does yet?

Neff

That spoiler free review

wyedeUf.gif

dead

Love Urotsukidōji

I wish reporters wouldn't speak negatively about horizon compared to Zelda. I mean most people saw Zelda being the better game after the e3 blowout.

Horizon has reviewed tremendously and GG (gg GG) deserves a lot of props for nailing the open world genre with their first attempt. A Uncharted 2 level improvement isn't out of the question and I hope we have a new fantastic series.

Too bad both games are out at the same moment. They have a lot of comparison points, even if they are not similar, comparison are unavoidable.

Quadraxis

All this zelda hype is making me want a switch :D. problem is, it's sold out, so i will have to wait now lol. Glad it seems to be good ;)

Here's a question that may have been answered: in some of the videos we see a third gauge above the temperature and sound gauges. It looks almost like a little radio signal. Do we know what that does yet?

In the Gameexplain preview I heard them talking about a radar you get to help you find shrines. I think that's what you're talking about.

Caelus

Pings when a shrine is near you, some shrines are hidden in the overworld. Can apparently be disabled.

KrawlMan

Question about USGamet Preview:

Breath of the Wild can look stunning and that's completely down to art direction. It's you're a more technical enthusiast player, you may have issues with the game. Aliasing is common, some textures are poor, the framerate can visibly stutter at points, and for some reason, occassionally it feels like a white haze has been laid over the entire game. The haze seems to be an issue related to RGB output in docked mode, as it doesn't affect handheld mode.

Has this haze been something anybody else has mentioned? Could it be TV settings?

Plum

I think that's the Shrine Scanner thing that lights up/makes noise whenever you're near a shrine. We only found out about it today.

Listonosh

You've played Zelda, correct? You don't think it surpasses Witcher 3 as a potential GOTG?

I mean I haven't beaten Zelda yet, so I can't really make a sweeping statement like that yet, but I feel like the world was more meaningfully populated in The Witcher 3. Like I'm not sure what the guy I quoted meant, if he meant world wise, or overall, but I'd say everything around The Witcher 3 is so masterfully put together: Storyline, sidequests, the world and locations. The only thing that Zelda might have on the Witcher 3 is the combat tbh.

atr0cious

Horizon keeps getting mentioned, but i feel bad for Yoko Taro, lost his memory just finding out the release date.

The
sheikah scanner
, let's you know when a shrine is near with beeps. Nintendo Force editor recommends turning off immediately, at least until you're actively just looking for shrines.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

It makes sense. It's the area with the most things on screen and most of the grass. Huge landscapes too.

The other areas (that I've seen so far) are more "focused" and have a lot of low res texture not hidden by anything.

Air

Banned

Some speculation /light item upgrade spoilers on my part:

Andre from GameXplain brought a guest in and they were talking about an annoying beeping sound when you get an upgrade to the shiekah slate that pings when you get closer to a shrine. I would think the radio signal is something pertaining to that.

Edit: nvm looks like a bunch of people had the same idea lol

DNAbro

Horizon keeps getting mentioned, but i feel bad for Yoko Taro, lost his memory just finding out the release date.

The
sheikah scanner
, let's you know when a shrine is near with beeps. Nintendo Force editor recommends turning off immediately, at least until you're actively just looking for shrines.

Well Horizon keeps getting mentioned cause it's also an open world game. Nier doesn't cause it's different. I hope it does well cause I'm getting both Zelda and Nier.

Fredrik

The Switch is more powerful than the WiiU in both docked and handheld mode. I'd be very surprised if these features were still in-tact on the WiiU version.
720p vs 1080p will turn that around. But just as with Skyrim, I don't care, having something like this portable makes me forget everything about missing effects.

I mean I haven't beaten Zelda yet, so I can't really make a sweeping statement like that yet, but I feel like the world was more meaningfully populated in The Witcher 3. Like I'm not sure what the guy I quoted meant, if he meant world wise, or overall, but I'd say everything around The Witcher 3 is so masterfully put together: Storyline, sidequests, the world and locations. The only thing that Zelda might have on the Witcher 3 is the combat tbh.

The overall gameplay looks way better to me. The Witcher's strength is quite obviously the narrative and lore, and the way that ties into gameplay (like hunting a specific creature using X as bait) is very satisfying, but the actual gameplay mechanics are pretty poor in my opinion. Movement is awkward, combat is terrible and repetitive, and menus are quite clunky.

I have not yet played Zelda but it seems to be far better in all of those areas. So when a person compares the two games they'll obviously be weighing the things that they personally like, and I would bet if you're more into precision gameplay than you are storytelling then Zelda will be a better game for you.

Plum

DanTDM just posted a video. His video will probably get more views than all other preview videos together.

He just plays the beginning of the game at the Plateau and nothing that wasn't shown at E3, but it's quite entertaining.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDpHvHLf_to

The animations in this game is really really good, BTW.

I didn't make it past a minute or so of that video but it's good that Nintendo's getting some bigger Youtubers in on the action nonetheless.

Spinluck

Can't have Uncharted 2 level improvements if the first game is actually really good.

Megasoum

Banned
Reposting... This thread is going so fast!

So is it confirmed that there's nothing on the game pad screen for the WiiU version?

If so I might try to find a pro controller if I can find a cheap one somewhere.

C'mon now. It's a revolution for Zelda, but not something new. These previews are going craazy man.

I love how these reviewers who have played probably more open world games than you have, including Zelda, are wrong, but you know what you're talking about...despite having not played Zelda.

What if you cut the grass...?

Oh fuck... There's the answer! Cutting grass won't drop hearts or Rupees, it'll improve the FPS!

On a more serious note, I have a weird question about display settings. We've seen that you can adjust the Switch settings for TV output to "automatic" or 480p through 1080p. As someone who hasn't play around with this kind of stuff, could you set that to 720p even if you have a 1080p set? Would doing so potentially fix some of the FPS issues in docked mode? I'm a novice on that stuff so I'm genuinely curious here.

ckaneo

Are you really going to do this? You saw "ubisoft" towers and now you know everything?
I never claimed I knew everything. My comment was simply in relation to the open world aspect.

And yes,I do think I know enough to make a judgment on that aspect on it.

Obviously the game has more to it that sets it apart from other games

Another question for folks who have played. In terms of inventory - is there a place to store items/gear/weapons so I don't have to toss them away?

martino

...is it?

I actually have no idea. I just played the demo and assumed stages and linearity.

this game is doing a lot of things people don't suspect.
it is more rpg and open than all we have seen let think from what i remember reading

Rodin

It makes sense. It's the area with the most things on screen and most of the grass. Huge landscapes too.

The other areas (that I've seen so far) are more "focused" and have a lot of low res texture not hidden by anything.

Actually the part with the most grass we've seen so far isn't the Plateau, it's the section of the Hyrule Field with the wild horses running around. There's much more grass there than in the Plateau, and i don't remember seeing frame drops in any footage of that part. I think there are different reasons for it.

Monumma

I missed some pages listening to waypoint radio, Austin seems really in love with this game. Have you already discussed it? It's a fun episode, you should probably give it a listen.

Also Austin didnt like horizon before playing zelda so please dont turn him into ammunition for consle war crazyness.

I never claimed I knew everything. My comment was simply in relation to the open world aspect.

And yes,I do think I know enough to make a judgment on that aspect on it.

Obviously the game has more to it that sets it apart from other games

This is truly laughable. Keep trying to convince everyone you know more than reviewers who have probably played all the same games you have AND Zelda. That'll surely work out for you

Mr.Fusion

Oh fuck... There's the answer! Cutting grass won't drop hearts or Rupees, it'll improve the FPS!

On a more serious note, I have a weird question about display settings. We've seen that you can adjust the Switch settings for TV output to "automatic" or 480p through 1080p. As someone who hasn't play around with this kind of stuff, could you set that to 720p even if you have a 1080p set? Would doing so potentially fix some of the FPS issues in docked mode? I'm a novice on that stuff so I'm genuinely curious here.

Gamexplain tested setting the console to output 480p to the TV, it didn't help any.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I need to stop reading these previews.

It's sounding as if this might end up in my personal "top tier" of Zelda games (Ocarina, Link to the Past, Skyward Sword, Minish Cap).

The only thing that's worrying me is weapon destruction, which I hate in games.

Top Bottom