• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
giphy.gif

What video is this from?

AdanVC

I know he is not that likeable in GAF but I would love to see a review of BOTW by Angry Joe. His reviews are always on point and are fun to watch.

phanphare

Banned
I know he is not that likeable in GAF but I would love to see a review of BOTW by Angry Joe. His reviews are always on point and are fun to watch.

I love his reviews. he always goes super in depth. agree or disagree he always substantiates his points really well.

jariw

Is it weird that this is the first thing to actually thoroughly impress me? I really loved the way the horse shakes the water off of its body in such a realistic manner. Looks awesomeness.

Perhaps I'm more impressed than you, but I was impressed by quite a few things shown at E3, on the "fun" kind of level.

But the thing that REALLY sold me on the game was the dog in the Treehouse stream after the Switch event in January. The apple sequence is hilarious.
https://youtu.be/c2jKceEsj2E?t=7m25s

Based on what i've seen I'd argue that BOTW sets a new standard for the series, just as OoT did. I think that's a good thing! I'm just telling you what I think he meant.

But what comes to my mind is "how different is the dungeon/overworld loop" "how differently are dungeons designed compared to the standard followed in OoT up to SS" and "Are Bosses approached the same way, RE: special items found in preceding dungeons"

Bosses are no longer based around single items, they're based primarily around targeting a weak point strategically, some tools allow you to do more damage, others affect the boss in different ways, but none of the bosses are " you need to use this specific item to win".

Dungeons themselves no longer contain dungeon specific items. Rather they seem to be based around an overall elemental mechanic and a structural mechanic that then reframes the dungeon and progression much like how a good dungeon item would function anyway.

I don't know how much Nintendo cares about reviews (or if the developers are even aware of Metacritic), but is awesome that, at least based on the impressions, this will get stellar reviews. You motherfuckers take things for granted, but Miyamoto, Aonuma, and co. won't be around forever, so is great to see that they will get the recognition they deserve, and once again, leave their mark in this industry while still alive and healthy.

They've done accolade trailers before, but that's more Nintendo of America's marketing than actual developers.

Caelus

Weird that the big baddie at 4:40 walks straight through several trees. Like, literally passes right through them. Seems like a big oversight.

It's a weird effect considering he can apparently rip out tree trunks to attack you with.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
The weapon breaking thing seems meh to me though, that's a small gripe I have. I want to grow attached to my favorite weapons and iconic tools (grappling hook, metal boots)

Seems like this may be lost with flipping weapons around like baseball cards. Not sure I'm feeling it. Some of the previews says it encourages you to try everything but that's not how I play. I used like 4 weapons in Bloodborne lol, I like to use my favorites over and over, not try everything out. I do hope there's some rare repairable weapons & items, even if they are super hard to discover.
That's exactly how I feel, and why I think the game is going to fall just short of incredible for me. I can't see a mechanic like that being fun at all since it doesn't suit my playstyle.

Gun Animal

Bosses are no longer based around single items, they're based primarily around targeting a weak point strategically, some tools allow you to do more damage, others affect the boss in different ways, but none of the bosses are " you need to use this specific item to win".

Dungeons themselves no longer contain dungeon specific items. Rather they seem to be based around an overall elemental mechanic and a structural mechanic that then reframes the dungeon and progression much like how a good dungeon item would function anyway.

This reinforces my impression that BOTW establishes a brand new standard for the series. thinking of it this way:

the Legends of Zelda = Resident Evil
Ocarina of Time = Resident Evil 4
Breath of the Wild = Resident Evil 7

(in the sense that the second and third examples represent revolutionary changes to the core series rather than incremental refinements)

jariw

I don't know how much Nintendo cares about reviews (or if the developers are even aware of Metacritic), but is awesome that, at least based on the impressions, this will get stellar reviews. You motherfuckers take things for granted, but Miyamoto, Aonuma, and co. won't be around forever, so is great to see that they will get the recognition they deserve, and once again, leave their mark in this industry while still alive and healthy.

So sad that Iwata couldn't see the final product.

Kinsei

Banned
This reinforces my impression that BOTW establishes a brand new standard for the series. thinking of it this way:

the Legends of Zelda = Resident Evil
Ocarina of Time = Resident Evil 4
Breath of the Wild = Resident Evil 7

(in the sense that the second and third examples represent revolutionary changes to the core series rather than incremental refinements)

Ocarina of time wasn't a huge shift though. It was revolutionary in terms of the industry as a whole, but it was a natural progression from LttP unlike RE4 which was huge shake up.

watershed

Banned
So sad that Iwata couldn't see the final product.

True and its sad that there won't be an Iwata Asks for BOTW. The development must have been very intense, with big delays and who knows what other secrets. I hope Nintendo hires Itoi to do a guest spot. I want to know all the stories behind this game. Iwata Asks was our best source for this before Iwata's passing. There's nowhere else to go for these stories anymore.

Jobbs

Banned

He isn't? I like AJ. I'm not sure there's much to hate about him. His reviews are generally detailed and well reasoned.

I'll be kind of surprised if he doesn't review it.

You know what I cant fucking shake from my mind?... that Gabe, and many others who just didnt get the same spotlight but have a similar deep passion and adoration for what this series means to videogames (and the the lives of so many) wont be able to experience this defining moment. This evolution. This transformation. This pure and almost boundless adventure.

I can barely imagine the impact it wouldve had for someone in his unfortunate position.

I'm so thankful for everything I have, and for a development studio ebing such a huge presence but still totally commited to the craft. Fuck deadlines, fuck budgets (for the most part). Execute on this vision. This will be bigger than the combined efforts of those who have sculpted it. They recognize and respect that all the way

This is all very true but one of the more heartening things about Nintendo in recent years is that that inspiration in game design seems endemic to the company and not just from the mind of a singular godhead genius like Shigeru Miyamoto. However concerning it might have been to see someone like him pull back from direct game development, or make seemingly out-of-touch design decisions, or just flat-out miss with some projects of late, a game like Splatoon from a "young" team is as ingeniously designed as anything Nintendo has ever made. They won't have the old guard forever but they will still be Nintendo.

You know what I cant fucking shake from my mind?... that Gabe, and many others who just didnt get the same spotlight but have a similar deep passion and adoration for what this series means to videogames (and the the lives of so many) wont be able to experience this defining moment. This evolution. This transformation. This pure and almost boundless adventure.

I can barely imagine the impact it wouldve had for someone in his unfortunate position.

I'm so thankful for everything I have, and for a development studio ebing such a huge presence but still totally commited to the craft. Fuck deadlines, fuck budgets (for the most part). Execute on this vision. This will be bigger than the combined efforts of those who have sculpted it. They recognize and respect that all the way
Who's Gabe? Newell? I don't really get your point, I'm afraid

phanphare

Banned
He doesn't always. Sometimes he seems to get smacked with confirmation bias. But most of the time he's pretty decent

every single review I've watched of his, and I've watched plenty, has been great. most every time he has a complaint he shows footage from the game to illustrate what he's talking about and in many cases he shows footage of himself playing the game and encountering the problem that he had. I've never seen a bad review from him in that regard.

The syncopated style of soundtrack is extremely interesting and is something that I've never heard in a game ost. The almost digital sounding horse riding theme is so refreshing. I freaking love the music that I've heard so far.
Seriously, this is spot on how I feel. I love how divisive it is though. Im on the side that loves it. Cant wait to hear everything mannn!!!

vareon

You can throw every weapon, right? So you can throw the Master Sword off a cliff and "fuck it, I'm going to fight Calamity Ganon with sticks"?

TBH I'm not sure if you can use the Master Sword (of Resurrection) in the game. Aonuma seems hell bent on saying every weapon has durability.

You can throw every weapon, right? So you can throw the Master Sword off a cliff and "fuck it, I'm going to fight Calamity Ganon with sticks"?

TBH I'm not sure if you can use the Master Sword (of Resurrection) in the game. Aonuma seems hell bent on saying every weapon has durability.
It's be a real dick move to feature it so prominently in trailers and even the logo and then never let us use it

Top Bottom