• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Shoyz

The lack of VA and text options, coupld with the lag on the docked Switch version is making it look like a hacked version of the WiiU version might wind up being the better experience depending on how that version runs. A smooth JPN VA 720P on WiiU would beat a laggy 900P English VA switch version for sure.
Day 1 patch with lag fixes or 720P option and VA option I hope.

The lack of VA and text options, coupld with the lag on the docked Switch version is making it look like a hacked version of the WiiU version might wind up being the better experience depending on how that version runs. A smooth JPN VA 720P on WiiU would beat a laggy 900P English VA switch version for sure.
Day 1 patch with lag fixes or 720P option and VA option I hope.

The Edge review claims the Wii U version has worse framerate drops. It's highly unlikely to be the superior version of the game.

QUICK FIX
2VzmC.gif

Wookieomg

Man I would really love it if they patched in the ability to have English subtitles with the Japanese audio.. Is that something that's possible after release? :(

hatchx

Banned
Those do look washed out and in need of more contrast, and in combination with the bloom lighting it makes for a less appealing visual presentation IMHO, but please lets leave it at this. I don't want to derail the thread.

EDIT: I did a quick (cheap) correction here with contrast and saturation levels.
OG

QUICK FIX

Your 'quick fix' looks disgusting with tons crushed out. I could bring those original images into a waveform monitor and prove they are not washed out?

Let's not retail the thread.

Those do look washed out and in need of more contrast, and in combination with the bloom lighting it makes for a less appealing visual presentation IMHO, but please lets leave it at this. I don't want to derail the thread.

EDIT: I did a quick (cheap) correction here with contrast and saturation levels.
OG

QUICK FIX
67b.jpg

Fanuilos

OG

QUICK FIX

Jesus, you should probably go schedule an appointment with your optometrist.

OG

QUICK FIX

Lol are you serious? 😂

Kthulhu

OG

QUICK FIX

That looks garish as hell.

I feel like some people are looking for reasons to down talk this game. All games have some kinda problems. From E3 to now this game buzz has been off the charts. I've yet to see anything but total awww from the press. Everything is pointing to one of the top 10 games of all time.

Dr.Hadji

Pikmin 3 is the most bland Pikmin game, yes it had some new ideas about how to play but it was not nearly as good as 1 or 2, it was just rehashed and spat out for a new console- and worse we have a completely uninspired 3DS Pikmin now.

Can we keep the crazy out of this thread please. You may not like the game but its widely considered the best game in the franchise (because it is) which really doesn't help the "Miyamoto is a hack now" theory,

Maxinas

OG

QUICK FIX

I hope you don't actually think that's good, because you might need to get your eyes checked if you do.

Gutss

I feel like some people are looking for reasons to down talk this game. All games have some kinda problems. From E3 to now this game buzz has been off the charts. I've yet to see anything but total awww from the press. Everything is pointing to one of the top 10 games of all time.

They cant do anything with this game, just let them do what they want.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013

OG

QUICK FIX
Is this the piss filter of 2017?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

watershed

Banned
Oh man, one preview said the control and feel of horse riding is not only the best in any Zelda game, but maybe in any game ever. For me, SOTC and Red Dead hold that honor currently.

ZeroX03

Banned
Listening to the Waypoint (Vice Gaming) podcast talking about Zelda, and honestly it killed any hype I had...

...for Horizon.

Someone summarized it:

tried to sum up that podcast because it keeps getting brought up and makes some really good points. so since it's about zelda austin does most of the talking and comparing and it should be noted that he didn't like horizon as much as the other host patrick (?) who thought the game was excellent with a few flaws. there are so many points being made so it's long but it was a really good discussion.

-horizon is a great game but the potential it showed is a bit larger than what it ended up living up to. laid a great foundation for a sequel
-larger story is great, feels like that's the highest point of praise. the things that it explores are really deep and interesting
-there are some bad exposition dumps, thought there had to be a way to do that better
-the game world feels a tad restricting for how inviting it seems. little things like aloy being incredibly acrobatic but not being able to walk over a small curb.
-aloy is great
-there's a moment with aloy at the end that's great and is a moment of the year contender
-wanted the world to feel more organic with more interaction between stuff like observing enemies fighting each other etc. "it's very rare that you find the world systemically interacting with one another". feels like when that itch was scratched it was because the game was scripting it to happen.
-horizon vs. zelda is like digital vs. analog (understands that's a weak analogy that won't hold up to scrutiny)
-in horizon you do the things the game wants you to do; specified walls to climb with predetermined route etc. vs. in zelda you can climb essentially anything you want and find your own path. the feeling of "I bet I can do this" and then being able to do it is greater in zelda.
-every impulse of exploration in zelda has been rewarded; scratching all the itches
-last zelda austin beat was MM
-would rate botw very high; ~12 hours in
-says this zelda feels like a new sub-genre to open world games. brings up witcher 3 in one corner, assassin's creed/ubi stuff in another, bioware type stuff in another, and says zelda feels like another distinct thing. hadn't seen exploration like this in the open world space outside of stuff like minecraft.
-playing zelda and horizon back to back made him realize that maybe open world fatigue isn't actually a thing and we as gamers should make the harder conclusion of zooming in and realizing that specific game isn't executing
-you're always going to be discovering things between objectives; world is filled with little environmental puzzles; encourages you to take notice of all of your surroundings
-shrines scratch the dungeon itch
-compares shrines to Nintendo's take on Portal levels; many "aha" moments
-very cool story mechanic thing, can't talk about it
-game is difficult; enemy ai is good; has died a lot; didn't die as much in horizon
-compares game to far cry; describes scenario where he was low on health and needed to get to a place, comes across a bokoblin camp and doesn't want to directly engage, finds a boulder, lifts boulder with magnet, searches for the right spot/angle to drop it, and drops it on an explosive barrel and blows the camp up.
-stuff like the above makes the story telling feel more connected to the player; zelda games the story is usually told to the the player, this is the player making his/her own story. horizon doesn't allow for player stories as much, not what it's going for though.
-combat/design in horizon doesn't push you to be creative, only a few fights where you are forced to utilize your full skill set. easy to become habitual.
-zelda pushes you to improvise a lot
-weapon degradation is cool. when you engage in combat early on you're committing to something breaking but you typically leave that combat encounter with better gear. save good gear for more significant fights/scenarios. the game does push you to use your better gear though.
-different weapon types have strengthens and weaknesses; sledge hammer is good for breaking up ore, axe for chopping trees, move set in combat, etc.
-there are special weapons for doing certain things
-enjoys cooking; very intuitive with how you combine items to make a dish
-npc interactions are great in zelda. contrasts with horizon where he wasn't excited about seeing people out and about like in zelda.
-zelda conveys both the warmth and the terror of a studio ghibli film.
-feeling of wonder and mystery in zelda; contrasts with some other open world games where you get the objective and do the objective without feeling like doing anything else in between
-has been using the screenshot function a lot which is indicative of it being a good game

then they swerve to Switch talk overall but I think they answer some more Zelda realted questions at the end so here's the podcast link

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/art...-the-wild-first-impressions-on-waypoint-radio

Munkybhai

Pikmin 3 is the most bland Pikmin game, yes it had some new ideas about how to play but it was not nearly as good as 1 or 2, it was just rehashed and spat out for a new console- and worse we have a completely uninspired 3DS Pikmin now.

This is my favorite game on the wiiu, and I've played all 3, and this is the finest mechanically and visually. Absolutely love it.

OG

QUICK FIX

TDL5LEQ.gif

KrawlMan

Alright I'm out. Too many gifs and images that used to be considered "spoilers" are leaking into this thread.

Have fun all. Less than a week to go.

One question. I heard from some buddies of mine that the world is going to be split up into "sections" rather than be one fully fledged open world.

As in, you leave an area, there's a loading screen, and the next big area shows up. I'm pretty sure that this isn't the case but can someone tell me otherwise?

VanWinkle

OG

QUICK FIX

Bro, you WAY overdid it. You have crushed blacks and it's overly contrasted.

I do actually agree that the game looks a little bit washed out. But this would be a better version of how it could look:

It didn't work out as well as I wanted since I was mainly focused on the top right screenshot, but at the very least I think the top right and the bottom left look improved here. Didn't like how the top left turned out.

NewGame

Banned
Can we keep the crazy out of this thread please. You may not like the game but its widely considered the best game in the franchise (because it is) which really doesn't help the "Miyamoto is a hack now" theory,

Great argument; That's crazy, you're crazy. and then call Miyamoto a hack when nothing of the sort was mentioned, bravo.

ZeroX03

Banned
Bro, you WAY overdid it. You have crushed blacks and it's overly contrasted.

I do actually agree that the game looks a little bit washed out. But this would be a better version of how it could look:

It didn't work out as well as I wanted since I was mainly focused on the top right screenshot, but at the very least I think the top right and the bottom left look improved here. Didn't like how the top left turned out.

The other one was terrible, this is much better.

Top Bottom