• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

uF9MjJo3QIaijySXC4iL_Confused%20Christian%20Bale.gif
That was exactly my reaction o.o

Realeza

Banned
Those impressions are fucking ridiculous, goddamn. I haven't ready anything like this since, well, I don't think I've ever done it (and I've followed every of the recent biggest, best games).

If you want to understand why people in the WiiU generation started to dislike Miyamoto more than ever watch this video.

I don't hate him... but I do think he 'meddles' more than innovates these days.
I'm not watching that video and his "meddling" lead to Metroid Prime and Splatoon. He's not a crazy, old man that makes developers do whatever he wants. I understand people are mad about the changes to Paper Mario and didn't like Star Fox being a failed proof of concept but he's not the bogeyman he's made out to be.

From GAF user othersteve (who's been playing BotW for review) on Twitter:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is going to redefine a lot of people's standards.

He also echoed a Nintendo Force tweet stating that BotW is probably going to end up as many people's "#1 favorite game of all time"

Fuck. And I had no doubts. Please nobody quote me saying "oh well duh Zelda was going to be good". I had people quoting when I kept saying Zelda would be 90+ easy and I had high expectations. You had some talking about an 85 metacritic game lol.

atr0cious

Items in the background have Beijing smog.
I think that's just their lighting system, as the most "hazy" image is in a jungle. The city pictures look like it's emulating atmosphere. And if you look at the foreground or just the bottom of the images, you can see clarity. They probably use the same base engine as Zelda.

-Horizon-

Fuck. And I had no doubts. Please nobody quote me saying "oh well duh Zelda was going to be good". I had people quoting when I kept saying Zelda would be 90+ easy and I had high expectations. You had some talking about an 85 metacritic game lol.
I honestly had my doubts about Zelda and Horizon.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Are these kinds of quotes still standard for pre release Zelda hype? It's starting to feel like we might actually have something special here.
We always see quotes like this, but we've never seen the game footage to back it up until now.

MoonFrog

From GAF user othersteve (who's been playing BotW for review) on Twitter:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is going to redefine a lot of people's standards.

He also echoed a Nintendo Force tweet stating that BotW is probably going to end up as many people's "#1 favorite game of all time"
Sort of scary and sort of exciting.

Tbh, even if BotW does take with me, don't think it'll be to the point where I want this to be what Zelda is going forward, both on a gameplay level and on a "how much longer are Zelda dev cycles going to get" level. Idk we'll see. Maybe I'll change my mind when I get my hands on it.

Also want to see Aonuma's new IP, whether it be with new characters or a side story in the Zelda franchise.

Skeletos311

Did anyone catch that video that revealed the clothes the BotW amiibo unlock? I missed the video before it got taken down. What were the items?

Maxinas

We always see quotes like this, but we've never seen the game footage to back it up until now.

I'm sure the majority of reviewers are at least 20+ hours through the game already, so if their was any significant problem i'm sure someone would have hinted at it already. Everything seems near perfect so far.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I'm sure the majority of reviewers are at least 20+ hours through the game already, so if their was any significant problem i'm sure someone would have hinted at it already. Everything seems near perfect so far.
That's true, it isn't usually this unanimous.

Majine

Banned
So the Switch internal storage is 32GB, but what is the usable space? 25? Less? I'm thinking of cancelling the Zelda preorder and going digital, and wondering how much is left after the 13.4 GB is being swallowed.

That's true, it isn't usually this unanimous.

There's some who complaints. The "Witness meets Don't Starve" Reviewer, finds the combat boring in comparison to something like Nioh.

Gamexplain seems to have issues with the inventory QoL.

And a lot of reviewers aren't sure about how they feel on durability (even though it's probably one of the best implementations of it period so if this won't convince people, nothing will).

pixelation

I don't understand what you mean.

Anyways I just saw that thing about the enemy spawning, yooooooo

Those do look washed out and in need of more contrast, and in combination with the bloom lighting it makes for a less appealing visual presentation IMHO, but please lets leave it at this. I don't want to derail the thread.

EDIT: I did a quick (cheap) correction here with contrast and saturation levels.
OG
QUICK FIX

RedSwirl

I haven't read any of these yet or seen any recent footage (I'll get to it), but does anyone know what this game's approach to waypoint markers will be? I know you'll be able to set your own using the scope, but nothing beyond that.

I ask because I feel like the one major difference between Zelda and games like Far Cry or Horizon or Witcher 3 -- games Breath of the Wild has been compared to, is that I've never had to follow a waypoint marker in Zelda. There may be markers on the map screen, but never a floating waypoint on the HUD. I think BOTW might even be the first Zelda game with radar. Just about all previous games had a crude minimap for dungeons, but nothing with as much information as today's minimaps. This is an important point because one of the main reasons to play Zelda is the sense of mystery and exploration. I think all these games built around waypoints kind of miss that.

Then again, a main reason Zelda can be like that is because its worlds are actually smaller and less "open" than modern open-world games. It's always been relatively easy to find paths to where you're supposed to go. BOTW is changing that. At the same time though, Aonuma said early on that when developing and concepting BOTW they had to let go of the fear of the player getting lost, which is the driving mentality between all the anti-frustration features in modern games.

Caelus

There's some who complaints. The "Witness meets Don't Starve" Reviewer, finds the combat boring in comparison to something like Nioh.

Gamexplain seems to have issues with the inventory QoL.

And a lot of reviewers aren't sure about how they feel on durability (even though it's probably one of the best implementations of it period so if this won't convince people, nothing will).

These are pretty much the only noticeable complaints aside from graphics, but pretty much all of them have been followed up with "it's not a big concern" or "x element makes up for it". It's nice to have a wide variety of opinions.

I haven't read any of these yet or seen any recent footage (I'll get to it), but does anyone know what this game's approach to waypoint markers will be? I know you'll be able to set your own using the scope, but nothing beyond that.

You've pretty much described it. So far the only non-player markers seem to be for main quest elements which the game doesn't force you to follow, as well as for important landmarks after you've discovered them like a Tower or Village.

Kindekuma

Banned
Shaping up to be the Dark Souls of Zelda games, huh?

No....no. I mean, yeah you're more likely to get killed, and that there are different weapons to wield. But both games are just so much different mechanically, level design wise, and presentation.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member

I ask because I feel like the one major difference between Zelda and games like Far Cry or Horizon or Witcher 3 -- games Breath of the Wild has been compared to, is that I've never had to follow a waypoint marker in Zelda. There may be markers on the map screen, but never a floating waypoint on the HUD. I think BOTW might even be the first Zelda game with radar. Just about all previous games had a crude minimap for dungeons, but nothing with as much information as today's minimaps. This is an important point because one of the main reasons to play Zelda is the sense of mystery and exploration. I think all these games built around waypoints kind of miss that.

Then again, a main reason Zelda can be like that is because its worlds are actually smaller and less "open" than modern open-world games. It's always been relatively easy to find paths to where you're supposed to go. BOTW is changing that. At the same time though, Aonuma said early on that when developing and concepting BOTW they had to let go of the fear of the player getting lost, which is the driving mentality between all the anti-frustration features in modern games.

There is nothing beyond that waypoints you set will be the only waypoints.

You can use the environment to navigate though, like you would in real life.

Then there is fast travel with shrines

Kthulhu

I think you can set them while looking at the map.

Zemm

Those impressions are fucking ridiculous, goddamn. I haven't ready anything like this since, well, I don't think I've ever done it (and I've followed every of the recent biggest, best games).

Yeah same, the crazy thing is the videos back up what they're saying. Game is going to be very good.

NewGame

Banned
I'm not watching that video and his "meddling" lead to Metroid Prime and Splatoon. He's not a crazy, old man that makes developers do whatever he wants. I understand people are mad about the changes to Paper Mario and didn't like Star Fox being a failed proof of concept but he's not the bogeyman he's made out to be.

Okay well first Metroid Prime was 2002, not the WiiU era- and Retro Studios only had him consulting not actually designing.

Splatoon was also in the same vein, he just consulted and the developers had to work around his criticism and he did not think it was going to be successful.

Starfox and later, Project Robot / Project Guard (Starfox Guard) were failures, you can't look at them any way and think "Hmm well considering... maybe if you look at it like this...". No, this is Miyamoto's work we're looking at and worse yet we have PlatinumGames who already knew exactly what to do and how to make a great game- and Miyamoto came in and screwed it all up, trying to shoehorn the WiiU Gamepad into centre stage.

Pikmin 3 is the most bland Pikmin game, yes it had some new ideas about how to play but it was not nearly as good as 1 or 2, it was just rehashed and spat out for a new console- and worse we have a completely uninspired 3DS Pikmin now.

Regards Paper Mario

Iwata: Miyamoto-san really persevered with Paper Mario this time. Exactly what was he particular about?

Tanabe: Aside from wanting us to change the atmosphere a lot, there were two main things that Miyamoto-san said from the start of the project-"It's fine without a story, so do we really need one?" and "As much as possible, complete it with only characters from the Super Mario world.

Bolded.

It's at this point, with several newer games that clearly were fumbles we can safely say "I think you need to have a break Miyamoto". It's not unusual for people who were once very creative to become detuned or lack awareness of current trends; he is a Speilberg type and I'd rather he slow down before he ruins his own creations.

Are these kinds of quotes still standard for pre release Zelda hype? It's starting to feel like we might actually have something special here.

Every Zelda game gets positive buzz but no, I haven't read these kinds of superlatives since Ocarina of Time. And even then I was pretty much just reading Matt and Peer flipping their shit over it on their upstart IGN64.com videogame news website.

Wind Waker's aesthetics were too polarizing and it was also readily apparent that it was the most forgiving Zelda game to date. Twilight Princess came closer in previews and early buzz to "the Zelda you've been waiting for!" but that was more in an "Ocarina of Time 2!" kind of way. There was excitement and encouraging word about Skyward Sword's motion controls (regardless of how that actually panned out for players) but no one was throwing this kind of praise around.

The positive buzz for a new one is always kind of tied to whatever they're moving away from in the previous game. But this time it's about it hearkening back in spirit to the original but also apparently leapfrogging past all the other games as well.

Hattori

Banned
Speaking of VO, this has dual audio with subs yeah? Pretty sure saw that confirmed awhile ago, not really interested in hearing anything but the Japanese dub.
All the voices are in the cart if you want Japanese you have to switch the language in the settings and restart the console, when you start the game it will have the Japanese dub along with Japanese text. What's nice is that it features furigana so if you don't know kanji it's not as tough to read.

Top Bottom