• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild **SPOILER FREE** Impression Thread

I'm going to second the voice acting. It's God awful. It's super amateur, and poorly directed. It feels like the lines are being read haphazardly off a piece of paper and the character themselves have zero understanding of what they're talking about. It's incredibly bad.

Zelda's VA is astonishingly awful to listen to. It's like a really bad anime dub.

Is the VA from the January trailer indicative of the final game? Or is the really bad stuff much, much worse than that?

Cause I thought the VA from that trailer was fine. Not amazing but fine.

Griss

This is all still based off of the Plateau, right?

EDIT: Your point on the world jives with the feeling I got watching all of the Plateau footage. On the other hand, a lot of the previewers who've begun exploring the rest of the world were gushing with the opposite sentiment, that the world felt better designed and more lived-in than other titles. So I'm interested in hearing your impressions develop over time.

Yep, all based off the Plateau. Don't want to spoil anyone in here. And I totally agree that this could change, but looking out over Hyrule Field from the plateau towards the castle... it's not a real place. I don't see it. It's a big level. And a magnificent level! A fucking awesome level! The best Zelda level! But not one with that typical open world appeal of 'What did the 3D architect wizards come up with next?'

The world not feeling like an actual place is a big disappointment, that to me is what made OoT great and TP so disappointing (those chasms everywhere felt very synthetic). The graphics, well I'm happy to be getting it on the Switch.

I think later parts have much more dense foliage though. They purposely made Great Plateau look kinda sparse so that later on you have more interesting diverse scenery.

Well, it feels more real than TP, that's for sure :)
That game world was a mess.

Also regarding

Yeah pretty much. I'm gone a try swapping run and jump. Everything feels great, I just kind of fumble around with the buttons. Archery is a little weird because you hold ZR to pull out your bow, but this also immediately nocks an arrow, so if you release ZR it fires. It's quick, but has led to me accidentally shooting arrows by tapping ZR to get my bow out forgetting it immediately nocks it.

You can't switch bow or arrow types unless the bow is in your hands, so I've lost arrows just wanting to switch equipment a few times.

There's other stuff, but nothing is mechanically bad. It's all awesome, its just not laid out like a Zelda game usually is, or like a third person action game usually is. Just a tad strange to adjust to.

ZR + B will draw your bow and cancel your draw, leaving the bow in Link's hands instead of on his back. In that state you can hotswap bows or hotswap arrows without holding ZR and fumbling with a drawn bow.

Peléo;231177805 said:
Current impressions are slightly less glowing than the overall comments from the press.

Well to be fair these are all based on the Wii U version... I doubt the Switch version looks all that much better, but it should at least run better.

Peléo;231177805 said:
Current impressions are slightly less glowing than the overall comments from the press.

Impressions here are still based on the tutorial area of the game.

People with 20hrs+ are going NUTS over reddit. The Great Plateau is really meant to be more slow paced.

m051293

Peléo;231177805 said:

Current impressions are also going to disproportionately represent experiences from the Plateau, relative to comments from the press who have been playing for upwards of a week now.

The Lamp

I'm going to second the voice acting. It's God awful. It's super amateur, and poorly directed. It feels like the lines are being read haphazardly off a piece of paper and the character themselves have zero understanding of what they're talking about. It's incredibly bad.

Zelda's VA is astonishingly awful to listen to. It's like a really bad anime dub.

This is so ironic. They've never done VA before and right when they decide to do so they drop the ball lmao

Griss

People really need to view durability like say, weapon ammo in Halo campaigns, ammo count is low but actual weapons rains from the sky. Yeag you could try to keep your assault rifle all level long but you will empty all of its ammo real quick. The low ammo count is how the dev inject variety into the game, as it makes you hotswap weapons constantly and thus change your tactics according to your current weapons. Take the same mindset in BotW. Don't worry that your good weapon breaks, you'll constantly get good weapons, and you'll be knee deep in more than serviceable weapons. All it's really doing is cycling what kind of weapons you currently have for variety, changing how you approach combat.

Exactly. Not only that, but it means that when you find something good, it matters.

"Oh shit, I got a spear with a 16 attack rating? Maybe I'll go back and take on that tough motherfucker that killed me earlier."

(Oh by the way, the map in this game is fantastic and shows where you died, which is awesome for finding your way back to that tough bastard that killed you. Even the Ubitowers are well done. Everything to do with UI in this game is phenomenal. It's just a shame that they cut out the gamepad features.)

Is the VA from the January trailer indicative of the final game? Or is the really bad stuff much, much worse than that?

It's much worse. I thought the trailer VA was 'worrying, but perfectly acceptable'. But there are characters here where... well, a random Youtuber would have done a better job. I hate saying that but it's true.

I mean, in one instance it seems clear that they cast someone who is the wrong age... by a lot. A lot. And so he tries to 'sound' that age... but it fails. And it's important exposition. It's not good.

It's pretty indicative, yes, but it's also worse.

Peléo;231177805 said:

I think impressions here on GAF are the most negative I've seen or heard. People are fixating more on performance here than anywhere else, and most here have not gone far past the plateau. The performance issues are real on Wii U, but you adjust and it seriously doesn't hurt the game.

I do hear Switch is much better though.

Also regarding

ZR + B will draw your bow and cancel your draw, leaving the bow in Link's hands instead of on his back. In that state you can hotswap bows or hotswap arrows without holding ZR and fumbling with a drawn bow.

Thanks, that'll help.

It seems like the Spoiler thread is having a party or something. It's always on top of the page.

I don't understand why people want to spoil this game though. We have waited 5 years for the ultimate Zelda game (as press claimed), I don't mind waiting for three days more.

m051293

Yep, all based off the Plateau. Don't want to spoil anyone in here. And I totally agree that this could change, but looking out over Hyrule Field from the plateau towards the castle... it's not a real place. I don't see it. It's a big level. And a magnificent level! A fucking awesome level! The best Zelda level! But not one with that typical open world appeal of 'What did the 3D architect wizards come up with next?

Got it! Thanks.

Honestly, while this might temper me in the immediate term, it's encouraging for the long run. They still have major room for improvment and innovation on certain fronts looking towards the next title.

EDIT: Autocorrect works when it shouldn't and doesn't when it should.

KooopaKid

Banned
Alright, let's go... Good guesses! Not all correct though.

Negatives...
-The game is a hot mess visually and technically. The IQ is shocking. I've just come from TPHD and then WWHD and while I'm not surprised that WWHD is a much better looking game than this, I am surprised that this is a huge step down from even Twilight Princess.

The textures are shocking, there's no texture filtering. From a distance, fields of grass don't render the grass and just come across as a flat green texture, which genuinely looks like something out of a PS2 title at times.

The performance is pretty horrible, with huge framerate dips whenever you encounter a ton of grass.

But most importantly, and this is hard for me to explain correctly... the world just doesn't feel 'real'. And when exploring the world is a central draw of the game, that's an issue. It doesn't look good enough to look like a real place, and nor is it designed like one. It feels like a big heightmap like WoW, and just like WoW regions just change on an imaginary line from snow to grass, grass to desert. Coming from other open world games, both on PS4 (like AC: Black Flag, GTA V etc) and even Wii U (XCX) - in all those games the beauty or immersiveness of the world as a real place was a huge part of the draw. That simply isn't the case here, and it's one of the first times I can remember where Nintendo's policy of going low with hardware power has actually negatively impacted one of their games. I know this game has a ton of different systems going on at all times but comparing it to the visual splendour of XCX is embarrassing.

However the appeal of exploring in this game is to find out what fun or inventive piece of game design you'll find next - so exploring is still fun. In fact, it's refreshing to be exploring for a different reason for once. But had they been able to make a more beautiful or coherent vision of Hyrule with the same gameplay it would have only aided the

Put it this way - I was so distracted by the visuals at first that I actually put down the controller a couple of times in the first 20 minutes and considered just waiting until I can buy a Switch. Before realising that my money was already spent so that was ridiculous. And after an hour my eyes did start to adjust. But this is an ugly game.

That's the main negative, and the only one that truly matters.
The others are
-The voice acting is shockingly amateurish. It's absolutely terrible. Zelda is just about passable. The next character you hear is either very funny or very cringeworthy.
-The shrines being divorced from the world is disappointing. The world itself seems to have very few 'puzzles' in it, and is just a lot of barren space with enemy encampments so far. This is actually a lot more fun than I expected it to be as traversal and fighting are both fun, but had the shrine gameplay been built into the world itself I would be happier. There's every chance that's the case in the rest of the game / world, but I'm not sure.

Thanks a lot. Your criticisms seem completely fair.
I hope I won't be too shocked by the visuals. I found them beautiful in the videos. Were you thinking the same prior seeing it on your TV?
About the unrealness of the world, I'm not worried, the Plateau is quite empty, with a snow area close to a green one all crammed into a small surface area, but it's the tutorial so it might be more artificial than the rest.

cackhyena

Sorry, but this is betraying slight ignorance about game dev, especially at this scale. Adding the tiniest thing, and testing/tweaking it to the nines, can take tens of hours when you're developing at this level, and what you're suggesting would probably be more than just a "few" animations. Even then, adding a whole set of animations isn't just "it" - this includes building them, testing them, programming interruptions/checks, blending them with all the other animations, bugfixing them, tweaking them for pace/integration, checking they work artistically, etc, etc. It's a tough and time consuming job.

Please don't mention anything like this.

I'm not too bothered but others will be.
And still, I'd have loved it of they went that extra step. Not saying it's necessary but it would have made a big difference for me.

It seems like the Spoiler thread is having a party or something. It's always on top of the page.

I don't understand why people want to spoil this game though. We have waited 5 years for the ultimate Zelda game (as press claimed), I don't mind waiting for three days more.

Because a shockingly large portion of the GAF community doesn't play games. They just enjoy talking about them.

It's much worse. I thought the trailer VA was 'worrying, but perfectly acceptable'. But there are characters here where... well, a random Youtuber would have done a better job. I hate saying that but it's true.

I mean, in one instance it seems clear that they cast someone who is the wrong age... by a lot. A lot. And so he tries to 'sound' that age... but it fails. And it's important exposition. It's not good.

That's so strange for a Nintendo game. They've been fairly decent with voice acting in the past...

I wonder if some of the "bad" is intentionally bad for some reason that doesn't really make sense to the player. Like, someone in the Treehouse (or wherever this was localized) thought it would be a good idea to get some really poorly acted or overacted voices for a certain character to be funny but it doesn't come across as funny, just bad.

That's so strange for a Nintendo game. They've been fairly decent with voice acting in the past...

I wonder if some of the "bad" is intentionally bad for some reason that doesn't really make sense to the player. Like, someone in the Treehouse thought it would be a good idea to get some really poorly acted or overacted voices for a certain character to be funny but it doesn't come across as funny, just bad.

No, don't try to spin it in your head as intentional. It's just bad, there is nothing more to it than that.

Game is fan fucking tastic though so who cares.

Caelus

I wonder if some of the "bad" is intentionally bad for some reason that doesn't really make sense to the player. Like, someone in the Treehouse thought it would be a good idea to get some really poorly acted or overacted voices for a certain character to be funny but it doesn't come across as funny, just bad.

We haven't heard all of it yet, some of the VA is OK but for the more important cutscenes it's ehhh.

Griss

Got it! Thanks.

Honestly, while this might temper me in the immediate term, it's encouraging for the long eun. They still have major room for improvment and innovation on certain fronts looming towards the next title.

Yes, they do.

And if you asked me what I would have preferred between:
"They make the most beautiful and realistic Hyrule ever but the gameplay sucks or is just more of the same old Zelda" and
"They make an ugly Hyrule and a game that looks outdated by 5 years but the gameplay is GOTY quality and revolutionizes the series and should become the standard for the next decade while they improve their visuals and storytelling."

...well, I'm guessing you know that it wouldn't have been a tough choice.

The first option basically applies to FFXV. It was the most beautiful and realistic world I've ever played. The scale of it, the physically based rendering, the animation - fuck me it was gorgeous, and worth the money for that visual quality alone. But as a video game? It was awful. Awful game design at every turn.

Zelda is literally the exact opposite. It looks like crap but you're grinning like an idiot from moment A to moment Z - you're always having fun. The industry needs more games like this and less like FFXV, so it's no surprise people are so over the moon about this one.

I wonder if some of the "bad" is intentionally bad for some reason that doesn't really make sense to the player. Like, someone in the Treehouse (or wherever this was localized) thought it would be a good idea to get some really poorly acted or overacted voices for a certain character to be funny but it doesn't come across as funny, just bad.

I'm super surprised, because with Kid Icarus and Xenoblade Chronicles (the first one), they delivered two of my favourite collective voice acting performances of last gen. And XCX wasn't great, but it was far from terrible, shit audio mixing and silent protag aside. But this is kinda a mess so far. Luckily, voiced scenes are very few and far between.

Coffinhal

Can you put the audio language X and still get subtitles of the cutscenes and every other text of the game in language Y ? (on Switch)

Otherwise I'm just going with English (second language) and hope that I won't lose my mind.

The Lamp

I think I'm going to play this in Latin American Spanish since I'm bilingual and the VA was pretty good in the trailer.

I can't handle horrible VA in my Zelda game. I thought the English VA in the trailer was super bad. It's going to wreck my experience lmao

Yes, they do.

"They make the most beautiful and realistic Hyrule ever but the gameplay sucks or is just more of the same old Zelda" and
"They make an ugly Hyrule and a game that looks outdated by 5 years but the gameplay is GOTY quality and revolutionizes the series and should become the standard for the next decade while they improve their visuals and storytelling."

The first option basically applies to FFXV. It was the most beautiful and realistic world I've ever played. The scale of it, the physically based rendering, the animation - fuck me it was gorgeous, and worth the money for that visual quality alone. But as a video game? It was awful. Awful game design at every turn.

Zelda is literally the exact opposite. It looks like crap but you're grinning like an idiot from moment A to moment Z - you're always having fun. The industry needs more games like this and less like FFXV, so it's no surprise people are so over the moon about this one.

There it is.

You just perfectly summarized why this game has me so excited. I'm playing through Final Fantasy XV right now and it's an absolute slog to get through. But yes, it's really pretty.

No, don't try to spin it in your head as intentional. It's just bad, there is nothing more to it than that.

Game is fan fucking tastic though so who cares.

Hah fair enough. I guess I'll experience what you're talking about soon enough!

Yes, they do.

That's a very encouraging take on it, thanks!

Maybe BotW Remastered in 7 years will scratch that graphics itch.

LotusHD

Banned
I don't think that was Zelda in the clip. Sounds like someone else.

Was referring to Griss' post. Though he did say "passable", so that seems reassuring.

Yes, they do.

I've soured so hard on XV as of late, so that's good to hear that this game is basically the opposite of it in a lot of ways.

unrealist

Peléo;231177805 said:

Maybe everyone was expecting too much, something as good as Horizon or the next Ocarina of Time in Skyrim style. Based on impressions from GAF, seems VA sucks to the extreme, game suffers from poor graphics / textures, repetitive combat, barren lands, world doesn't feel real, weapons breaking and the list continues to go on ... perhaps it will struggle to hit over 85 on Metacritic?

LotusHD

Banned
Maybe everyone was expecting too much, something as good as Horizon or the next Ocarina of Time in Skyrim style. Based on impressions from GAF, seems VA sucks to the extreme, game suffers from poor graphics / textures, repetitive combat, barren lands, world doesn't feel real, weapons breaking and the list continues to go on ... perhaps it will struggle to hit over 85 on Metacritic?

Lol

I just bought the latest Famitsu from JP amazon for the 40-page walkthrough. Hopefully it is worth it.

And I think I will play the game at least twice, once in English and another in Japanese since I like the Japanese VA much more. But my Japanese proficiency is not high enough, so the JP run will not be my first playthrough.

Because a shockingly large portion of the GAF community doesn't play games. They just enjoy talking about them.

Well, if they are happy about that, I don't really care lol

Coffinhal

It's a 65 at most. Very dishonnest media sold us a crooky game. The failing Nintendo lied to you. SO SAD!

lol

Thanks for the impressions, Griss. They seem well balanced and the honest negatives enhance the positives if you know what I mean. I hope the Switch version will alleviate some of those negatives but a lot of them seem 'baked in' to the game, so we'll see I guess.

Griss

VA sucks - yes so far
Poor graphics / textures - yes
Repetitive combat - can't tell yet, doubt it
Barrent lands - kinda, but exploring is still fun so far
World doesn't feel real - that was me, so, uh... yeah. Yep.
Weapons breaking - not an issue, adds to the game

Despite all of that - Predicted Metascore: 92

It's really good.

I predict a ton of perfect scores and a couple of 6's from people who focus a lot on visuals/performance OR who compare this to something like the Witcher 3 and dock it for failing in all the areas that game succeeds in. (Which it does.)

Thanks for the impressions, Griss. They seem well balanced and the honest negatives enhance the positives if you know what I mean. I hope the Switch version will alleviate some of those negatives but a lot of them seem 'baked in' to the game, so we'll see I guess.

Cheers. While I'm disappointed that Switch is only at 900p in docked mode, that increase + a bigger field of view / LOD depth will help a lot. And on the handheld the game will look great at 720p - that might be the best way to play it. The world design is what it is so far, though.

That said I haven't even seen any villages yet.

Put it this way - the gameplay is what I like and it's what matters. The world and visuals could yet be awesome in areas I haven't even found yet. So far the game is delivering where it matters and it may yet deliver in other areas too.

I'd love to give my impressions on the early story set-up but I think anything even related to that is verboten.

VA sucks - yes
Poor graphics / textures - yes
Repetitive combat - can't tell yet, doubt it
Barrent lands - kinda, but exploring is still fun so far
World doesn't feel real - that was me, so, uh... yeah. Yep.
Weapons breaking - not an issue, adds to the game

Despite all of that - Predicted Metascore: 92

It's really good.

I predict a ton of perfect scores and a couple of 6's from people who focus a lot on visuals/performance OR who compare this to something like the Witcher 3 and dock it for failing in all the areas that game succeeds in. (Which it does.)

Are you playing Wii U or Switch? Do you think Switch will help some of the visual technical issues or are they so ingrained that it's probably not likely?

takriel

Let's not go there please. Are you trolling?

Griss

Sounds to me like The Witcher 3 and Breath of the Wild are polar opposites and I don't mean that in a bad way for either game.

This is exactly correct. The interactivity of The Witcher 3 is the weakest part of the game, and it's 95% of what BotW is about. The presentation, world design, lore and storytelling of Witcher 3 are 95% of what makes it great, and Zelda doesn't really deliver on any of those, though lore and storytelling etc could obviously deliver, but I doubt it.

Are you playing Wii U or Switch? Do you think Switch will help some of the visual technical issues or are they so ingrained that it's probably not likely?

I think it'll help the IQ a lot, which is my biggest problem with the game. So yes, it'll be better, and worth it. I just wish they'd been able to hit 1080p.

phanphare

Banned
I think impressions here on GAF are the most negative I've seen or heard. People are fixating more on performance here than anywhere else, and most here have not gone far past the plateau. The performance issues are real on Wii U, but you adjust and it seriously doesn't hurt the game.

I do hear Switch is much better though.

makes sense since all the impressions are from the Wii U version

sucks to hear about the voice acting tho. hope all yall who were yelling for voice acting in a zelda game got what you wanted! ;p

ubiblu

I did my best to avoid temptation of 'legitimately purchasing a copy early' in anticipation for the midnight launch Thursday, but caved after a few beers and sunk maybe 30 minutes into the great plateau on the WiiU. That was enough to feed my craving and I'm more than happy to wait 48 hours to continue my journey on the superior console.

I'm not going to lie: the graphics, IQ, and performance on the WiiU really aren't amazing. The gameplay however (stupid default controls aside) is awesome. I adored what I played, and got a really good sense for the sheer scope of the world after fiddling around with the in-game map. Even attempting to climb the temple on the Great Plateau felt like something out of Assassin's Creed, only with excitable stamina management.

I think this game could turn out to be something really special based on a minimal 'seen it all before' muck-around, but I honestly couldn't bare another minute on the WiiU.

SomTervo

Sounds to me like The Witcher 3 and Breath of the Wild are polar opposites and I don't mean that in a bad way for either game.

I think "equal opposites" is a better term for it.

In that they're both equally brilliant (as far as we know) but in opposite directions/ways.

Exceptionally good "nuts".

giphy.gif

LotusHD

Banned
This is exactly correct. The interactivity of The Witcher 3 is the weakest part of the game, and it's 95% of what BotW is about. The presentation, world design, lore and storytelling of Witcher 3 are 95% of what makes it great, and Zelda doesn't really deliver on any of those, though lore and storytelling etc could obviously deliver, but I doubt it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=231118686&postcount=110

Well according to the Gamepro review, they seemed to have liked the story. Witcher 3 is its own thing, but perhaps you'll be surprised.

Exceptionally good "nuts".

What's the praise for the most? I am just afraid of the level design, is it still what you get from past zeldas. Amazing gameplay variety and hand crafted moments. Like in MM to get to a dungeon you use your deli ability to float over a monkey base, or turn into a Gordon and make your way up a perolous snow mountain with invisible stuff. It wasn't just the dungeons that had incredible gameplay design. Is that still here.

Yes or no is fine

Top Bottom