• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda : Majora's Mask 3D getting a LE in North America

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
If you get more enjoyment out of something because other people can't have it, all I can say, is frankly, you need to be less of an arsehole.

There's no good reason for this stuff to be "limited" at all.

You're talking about a world without value.

Rarity is what makes things desirable. It always has been. Gold? Diamonds? Limited Run Cars?

And yes, it does make me enjoy my 52/500 sword more because there are only 500 of them and you can no longer buy them. If you could pick it up in any Walmart across the world, it wouldn't interest me in the least.

You know the only thing better than having an extremely limited run item? Having a one of a kind item.

If that makes me and millions like me arseholes, then so be it.

Anth0ny

Rarity is what makes things desirable. It always has been. Gold? Diamonds? Limited Run Cars?

And yes, it does make me enjoy my 52/500 sword more because there are only 500 of them and you can no longer buy them. If you could pick it up in any Walmart across the world, it wouldn't interest me in the least.

You know the only thing better than having an extremely limited run item? Having a one of a kind item.

And here I thought things being cool made them desirable.

Phu

Banned
What if the game itself was as limited as the figure? Would that not be the stupidest thing? What if they slapped "limited edition" on the game? Would that make it okay to produce so little?

People just want the dang figure, so let them purchase it. Simple.

To be fair, nintendo America doesnt really have an online store. As compared to EU, where you could order this last time i checked a couple days ago. I wonder why US doesnt have nice online storefront and im jelly of EU.

I bought Xenoblade Chronicles from NOA's online store. And I have a "refurbished" copy of Excitebots shipping to me from Nintendo's online store as I type this.

Magwik

Banned
What if the game itself was as limited as the figure? Would that not be the stupidest thing? What if they slapped "limited edition" on the game? Would that make it okay to produce so little?

People just want the dang figure, so let them purchase it. Simple.
There are games that have limited runs. Is it dumb? Yes. But half the time it is only because it's the maximum amount of copies they could print in their budget or if it is localized title. The item has been sold at 4 retailers. I know it sucks not being able to get in on it, but it isn't Nintendos fault these retailers don't limit it to 1 a person. They don't care though because they are still selling their copies. Get mad at the retailers, not nintendo.

Oxn

Its like people have been living in a box all this time.

Phu

Banned
There are games that have limited runs. Is it dumb? Yes. But half the time it is only because it's the maximum amount of copies they could print in their budget or if it is localized title. The item has been sold at 4 retailers. I know it sucks not being able to get in on it, but it isn't Nintendos fault these retailers don't limit it to 1 a person. They don't care though because they are still selling their copies. Get mad at the retailers, not nintendo.

That's the difference. Limited runs are not the same as limited editions.

Bullpoop. It's desirable because it's a freaking model of Skull Kid wearing majoras mask.. There being 1, 100, 10000, or a million of them in the world would change it's value absolutely zero to any (sane) Majoras Mask fan.

How exactly?
Limited runs typically produce enough to meet preorder numbers at a minimum. That's exactly not what is happening here, and what I can't understand people defending.

Anth0ny

Being limited makes things cooler. I think that would be his next response, and I'd be inclined to agree.

imagine your most hated game had a limited edition. only 1000 copies in the world.

now imagine your favorite game of all time only had a standard edition, and it sold 10 million copies.

Are you telling me the limited edition of the shitty game is more desirable than your favorite game of all time? Just because it's limited? That's what I'm arguing. Rarity is not what makes things desirable. That's horse shit. There's a billion iphones in the world and they're probably the most desirable consumer electronic products on the market.

I couldn't give any less of a fuck if there was 50 Majora's Mask LEs or 5 million. I want it because it's a great game and it comes with a cool extra. In fact, because it's a great game, I want as many people as possible buying the limited edition. I want Nintendo to make as much money as possible off this game, and they are stopping themselves from doing so, because right now demand>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> supply.

Oxn

imagine your most hated game had a limited edition. only 1000 copies in the world.

now imagine your favorite game of all time only had a standard edition, and it sold 10 million copies.

Are you telling me the limited edition of the shitty game is more desirable than your favorite game of all time? Just because it's limited? That's what I'm arguing. Rarity is not what makes things desirable. That's horse shit. There's a billion iphones in the world and they're probably the most desirable consumer electronic products on the market.

I couldn't give any less of a fuck if there was 50 Majora's Mask LEs or 5 million. I want it because it's a great game and it comes with a cool extra. In fact, because it's a great game, I want as many people as possible buying the limited edition. I want Nintendo to make as much money as possible off this game, and they are stopping themselves from doing so, because right now demand>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> supply.

And yet here we are.

Trike

How exactly?

Limited Editions are limited editions of the game itself, limited runs means that they are only doing a small release of a game. Like Tales of the Abyss for the 3DS was a limited run, but Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix had a limited edition. Though you could say that limited editions are also limited runs. However, not all limited runs are limited editions.

Nintendo isn't making a ton of extra money by selling a Limited Edition with just a $10 markup. What they're doing is an act of goodwill to their biggest fans by making a cool product available to them.

What it also does is it creates a fervor around the game. It gets in the press, gets people talking and it gets people to look up their product, even if it means they missed the chance to buy the LE, maybe they'll buy the base game now that it's on their radar.

It's called marketing.

Oxn

Nintendo isn't making a ton of extra money by selling a Limited Edition with just a $10 markup. What they're doing is an act of goodwill to their biggest fans by making a cool product available to them.

What it also does is it creates a fervor around the game. It gets in the press, gets people talking and it gets people to look up their product, even if it means they missed the chance to buy the LE, maybe they'll buy the base game now that it's on their radar.

It's called marketing.

It works. I pre ordered 2 copies. I love the Zelda series but had they not made an LE, I wouldve waited on getting a copy. 2015 is stacked.

Phu

Banned
How exactly?

Limited runs generally happen due to lack of resources [aka, smaller company, smaller budget], because of lack of expected interest [you shouldn't print 5 million copies of an obscure/niche title], or simply enough for the sales to be worth it.

Limited editions [in the truest sense of limited] are intentionally made to be scarce in order to drive up interest and sales from the biggest fans.

Additionally, limited editions are typically sold alongside standard editions while with limited runs that's all you get. In fact, many limited run counts are made after preorders have been taken so the company knows to create at least enough to cover the people who want them.

That's why the whole "rarity is what makes things desirable" is dumb for things that are rare by design. It's not like we're dealing with oil or land or something that is legit limited. We know Nintendo has the resources to make as many figures as they please and by sticking with 'limited is limited is limited' they are specifically not meeting a demand that's clearly there.

This is Zelda, a huge franchise for them, there was certainly expected interest. Nintendo is not a small company that can only afford to produce so many.

Although Nintendo is a business and money comes first and blah, blah, blah, this is still something they did for the fans. If they wanted to, they could have simply charged $10 more for the game without any figure and gotten away from it, similar to what Atlus tends to do with their infamous "Atlus tax."

These things are only rare as long as Nintendo wants them to be. Next week, Nintendo could say they're making 500,000 of these things and making them 100% identical to the ones people already ordered so you can't even tell which ones are "first print" runs, effectively killing the supposed 'value' some people seem to find in them being so severely limited that not even many of the game's biggest fans can get a hold of it.

In the end, I did manage to snag myself a copy, but that's not gonna make my views on this change.

Just buy the regular edition...

Nintendo won't make a huge profit on the limited edition when it's just 10 bucks more compared to the regular edition.

The whining in this thread is ridiculous. Some grownups act like litte kids who didn't get their cherry on their milkshake.

Sushigod7

Lets be honest the only reason this "limited edition" sold out so fast is the scalpers. If reg fans who actually wanted it got it I imagine it would have taken a few days. People see F4F Skull Kid going for 800-1k and think thats going to happen. Its not and never will for this one. This thread is getting crazy.

Fuck. I didn't realize how limited this would be, and I thought Amazon hadn't made it available for pre-order yet (as opposed to it already being sold out).

At least I have my WWHD Ganondorf, but I'd vastly prefer having Skull Kid of the two. ;_;

Anth0ny

It's called marketing.

of course by biggest fans you mean people who happened to be online during the 20 minute window that they were available

or scalpers that are reselling it on ebay for 3x its value

what an act of goodwill

full disclosure: I have a pre-order. I still think it's bullshit just how few units of this thing are being sold.

Just buy the regular edition...

Nintendo won't make a huge profit on the limited edition when it's just 10 bucks more compared to the regular edition.

The whining in this thread is ridiculous. Some grownups act like litte kids who didn't get their cherry on their milkshake.

How dare people annoyed at NoA for making so many things impossibly hard to get type a few words on a message board.

Magwik

Banned
of course by biggest fans you mean people who happened to be online during the 20 minute window that they were available

what an act of goodwill

full disclosure: I have a pre-order. I still think it's bullshit just how few units of this thing are being sold.
There isn't anything Nintendo can do. Release it at multiple retailers over the course of a few days? That should give everyone time to pre-order if they want one.
They probably made a ton, but scalpers bought them all up, so then it comes down to shifting the blame to GameStop and Best Buy and Amazon who didn't limit it to one per customer or address.

How dare people annoyed at NoA for making so many things impossibly hard to get type a few words on a message board.

The way I wrote it might have sounded a little bit harsh (English's not my first language), but 2/3 of this thread are complaints and not productive talk about the LE itself.

The scalpers situation does suck and I agree that there should be a 1-2 copie(s) per customer rule.

Christopher

The way I wrote it might have sounded a little bit harsh (English's not my first language), but 2/3 of this thread are complaints and not productive talk about the LE itself.

The scalpers situation does suck and I agree that there should be a 1-2 copie(s) per customer rule.

So if you think that - why is it a bad thing if people who missed out on a TWENTY minute window complain about not getting it?

What is there to talk about "about the LE itself", we played the game on the N64...ohhh ahhh a figure? People are venting in frustration that they weren't able to purchase an awesome collectors that was available again for TWENTY minutes...

So if you think that - why is it a bad thing if people who missed out on a TWENTY minute window complain about not getting it?

What is there to talk about "about the LE itself", we played the game on the N64...ohhh ahhh a figure? People are venting in frustration that they weren't able to purchase an awesome collectors that was available again for TWENTY minutes...

Given how quickly they sold out, there's probably only a handful of people actually getting the LE that could talk about its contents.

what an act of goodwill

I never said it was done flawlessly, but I think that's the strategy behind it. Besides, what's the percentage of scalpers vs. "real fans" who bought this game? No one even knows and there's no way to tell. It sold out quickly and there are a bunch of eBay auctions up already. That's all we really know. I think the ones who were most informed are video games fans who frequent message boards. Some smaller percentage of those visitors are scalpers.

Jobbs

Banned
I like limited stuff being limited. In a weird way, gamestop's forced guide bundle was a GOOD thing, because it extended the window to buy the thing by a few hours (unless I'm mistaken) so if you really wanted it you could have gotten it without paying the inevitable $150 - $200 on ebay later. And, in fact, I did preorder one of their bundles.

so while everyone was complaining about gamestop being lame, they extended that window. If they sold it for $50 it'd be gone in minutes rather than hours.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
I like limited stuff being limited. In a weird way, gamestop's forced guide bundle was a GOOD thing, because it extended the window to buy the thing by a few hours (unless I'm mistaken) so if you really wanted it you could have gotten it without paying the inevitable $150 - $200 on ebay later. And, in fact, I did preorder one of their bundles.

so while everyone was complaining about gamestop being lame, they extended that window. If they sold it for $50 it'd be gone in minutes rather than hours.

Yeah because of the bundle extending the purchase bundle, I was able to preorder one after I got home from work and all of the normal ones were gone.

vazel

Banned
The standard edition is back on Fry's but this time it doesn't have the one per household limit, which still makes me think the last time was a test for an LE listing.

zeldarocks

Neo Member
Guys, I just noticed something:

The artwork Nintendo has been releasing is in chronological order.

They started with Clocktown, and have gone through Ikana Valley...

What happens when they get through Majora's Wrath?

MisterHero

I would love if Nintendo did an OoT/MM bundle for a slight discount. Held out on OoT3DS because I already have like 3 versions of the game. Pre-orders and LEs are nice but there has to be better incentives available for more people.

Mecca

The standard edition is back on Fry's but this time it doesn't have the one per household limit, which still makes me think the last time was a test for an LE listing.

Frys website now says standard edition will ship by January 26th.

Piscus

It sold out within minutes when Best Buy put up the LE. And that was last week.

I remember that, but up until now, it still said "coming soon" in the greyed-out buy button... Now it flat out says "sold out online", but I don't recall it going for sale again. Is it just semantics?

I remember that, but up until now, it still said "coming soon" in the greyed-out buy button... Now it flat out says "sold out online", but I don't recall it going for sale again. Is it just semantics?

Mostly likely. I was hoping for Best Buy to get more, but that doesn't look like the case anymore. :/

Good lord, how did I not see this topic until now!?

I got super lucky in finding a Wind Waker LE at a Gamestop about two weeks after it came out. Looks like I'll have to get just as lucky with this too.

vazel

Banned
They already denied it, in store only.
I know they did, but they also said there's a possibility they will put some online on launch day.

Plus, I still find that first Majora's Mask standard edition listing fishy. The one per household limit it had makes me think it was testing for an LE listing.

vazel

Banned
Ah, my bad, never saw that.
I tried to find the twitter post where they said that but I can't find it. Maybe I was imagining it.

Edit: I'm pretty sure they deleted that twitter post so looks like it being available online has been completely ruled out by them.

They already denied it, in store only.

I thought they weren't going to stock the LE at all according to this:

edit: found this

photo-72.jpg

http://www.zeldadungeon.net/2015/01...rs-will-not-be-available-at-frys-electronics/

So they might have it in stores..you just cant pre-order it. .

If the game is coming on February 13th like it's rumored along with the new 3DS, I guess it makes sense to make such a limited print of the LE of the game.

Oh well. I guess I'll still enjoy the game without the Skull Kid figure :(

Keep watching the GameStop website listing. If this follows every single other LE they've ever carried, some stock will magically appear on Feb. 5-6th.

Top Bottom