• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Amir0x said:
Why take it seriously? This is a forum about games, which are an entertainment medium. Zelda: Skyward Sword is about great and fun game design, not deep and brooding seriousness. Whatever the case about my sarcasm, my OTs are always going to be light hearted because that's what games are at the core. Toys and diversions, which we all love.

But it's not even informative. If you want to reference some dumb IGN article through the entire thing fine, but at least provide some content for it, which I've always assumed OT were meant for.

Medalion

Banned
Metroid Killer said:
tumblr_l4p9coE0oZ1qbzf0vo1_500.gif
Wakers gonna wake

Dr. Feel Good said:
But it's not even informative. If you want to reference some dumb IGN article through the entire thing fine, but at least provide some content for it, which I've always assumed OT were meant for.
So in other words what you say is...

The information and content in your OT doesn't count as information and content...

tumblr_lesw08RuEh1qbzf0vo1_500.gif

Amir0x

Banned
Dr. Feel Good said:

Well my philosophy in OTs is NOT to spoil the game for people - I don't want people clicking the topic and knowing every tool in the game and every area there is to visit. What is the point of that? I intentionally geared my topic to have JUST ENOUGH information to get a taste for the game (main characters, some trailers and screens, detail on upgrade system), but not enough to ruin it for people glancing at it.

Anyway, back to Skyrim.

Amir0x said:
Well my philosophy in OTs is NOT to spoil the game for people - I don't want people clicking the topic and knowing every tool in the game and every area there is to visit. What is the point of that? I intentionally geared my topic to have JUST ENOUGH information to get a taste for the game (main characters, some trailers and screens, detail on upgrade system), but not enough to ruin it for people glancing at it.

Anyway, back to Skyrim.

It's not even just story spoilers though. The reason I even first went into this thread was because I saw someone had the collector's edition in the Pick Up thread. I wanted to see the specifics of what exactly everything was in the collector's edition (there's some pamphlet thing I wanted to know what it contained) and figured the OT would contain this information. It doesn't. Any decent OT would, along with a lot of other useful information on the game not pertaining to story spoilers.

Maybe someone who isn't playing Skyrim could have dedicated more time to this? Although props to the guy who did the art/banners.

Amir0x said:
Hear hear!

What more is there to include? Info on release date, SKUs and pricing. Quick overview of the main character and unique points about the game. Media including screens and trailers.

I don't really get what more content that would be needed...

Amir0x

Banned
Dr. Feel Good said:
It's not even just story spoilers though. The reason I even first went into this thread was because I saw someone had the collector's edition in the Pick Up thread. I wanted to see the specifics of what exactly everything was in the collector's edition (there's some pamphlet thing I wanted to know what it contained) and figured the OT would contain this information. It doesn't. Any decent OT would, along with a lot of other useful information on the game not pertaining to story spoilers.

Maybe someone who isn't playing Skyrim could have dedicated more time to this? Although props to the guy who did the art/banners.

Information on Skyward Sword: Collector's Edition.

Hate to break it to you most of this OT has been done for weeks, no game has distracted me from the purpose. I fully intended it to be exactly the way it is.

If Nintendo doesn't remake Wind Waker on Wii U I am going to hang myself. Second worst game ever, after Skyward Sword.

Again, let me reiterate my point - any good OT would contain this.
You know why I like his OT? Because it doesn't make this a thread about OT, but about the game. Please lets not derail it :(

Amir0x

Banned
Dr. Feel Good said:
Again, let me reiterate my point - any good OT would contain this.

And it did. It even has a picture of the edition in question in the OP, complete with the price. You want information on some pamphlet inside of it, and because my OP doesn't have your hilariously specific nugget of info, it's not "any good OT."

Well when all else fails, use google. My topic ISN'T a data sink for every shred of Zelda info. And that's about all that needs to be said on that.

IMO it's a Zelda game, what else do you need to know? It's going to be big, fun, with many secrets, sidequests, and Zelda gets kidnapped. There will be dungeons and bosses. The OP has the release dates, pricing, characters, a world map, info on upgrading, links to further information, etc.

At any rate this is a discussion board, not every OT has to be slavishly designed with every bit of information out there in an attempt to help sell copies. Ami provided sufficient info without going overboard and I did some things to help it look nicer. The thread does what any thread should do-- provide some information on the game and then the rest is gravy.

It's a discussion forum, not an instruction manual or advertising pamphlet. I like cool OT's with loads of everything and nice Photoshop work but to call someone out on not making a more comprehensive message board topic due to the conditioned nature posters seem to have after these other MASSIVE OT's is kind of ridiculous.

Here's a pretty cool OT:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=383000

MarkusRJR

I can't decide if I should get the Collectors edition or not. I already have 4 Wii remote plus controllers and I don't really need another, but that that CD sounds like absolute sex (I listened to a few tracks off of youtube). Decisions, decisions... hmmm...

Polyphony

Nice, clean, concise and with a touch of humor. Love this OP!

I really need to set-up Dolphin. I haven't played on Wii in a while, and I'm afraid that going back will slightly ruin my enjoyment of this beautiful game due to the resolution. Jaggie-free 1080p Skyward Sword sounds glorious!

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Yaceka said:
I can't decide if I should get the Collectors edition or not. I already have 4 Wii remote plus controllers and I don't really need another, but that that CD sounds like absolute sex (I listened to a few tracks off of youtube). Decisions, decisions... hmmm...

The CD comes with the regular edition as well.

BY2K

Membero Americo
scott-pilgrim-wednesday.jpg

All I can do. 8 days.

Though I have to actually get the game myself at Gamestop instead of just waiting for a girl with red hair to bring it to me.

Amir0x

Banned
i don't want to read reviews for fear of spoilers, but I really wish some GAFer who has played much of the game could tell me how well integrated into the puzzle design motion+ is. The greatest excitement for the use of motion controls to me is in its potential applications toward puzzles; I've seen some examples of it in use in the demo and in a few trailers before I went on a blackout, but I'm curious how much deeper it gets further into the game.

Amir0x said:
i don't want to read reviews for fear of spoilers, but I really wish some GAFer who has played much of the game could tell me how well integrated into the puzzle design motion+ is. The greatest excitement for the use of motion controls to me is in its potential applications toward puzzles; I've seen some examples of it in use in the demo and in a few trailers before I went on a blackout, but I'm curious how much deeper it gets further into the game.

Haven't played it yet but this is from the GB review:

An early puzzle asks you to recreate a specific motion that wouldn’t be possible without Motion Plus, and it took me over 20 minutes to come up with the solution, purely because I’d never encountered something like it before.

Ami, congradulations. This is the first OT EVER that I have actually bothered to read more than 50%, let alone finishing it.

The only thing that I noticed, was that a parenthesis was left open!

i don't want to read reviews for fear of spoilers, but I really wish some GAFer who has played much of the game could tell me how well integrated into the puzzle design motion+ is. The greatest excitement for the use of motion controls to me is in its potential applications toward puzzles; I've seen some examples of it in use in the demo and in a few trailers before I went on a blackout, but I'm curious how much deeper it gets further into the game
I guess since you are afraid to mod your Wii, you haven't played the demo. There are two puzzles in the demo, one is in fighting with ghirahim (well, not really puzzle, but whatever); the other is the three eye. You may read the parts we spoiler tagged last page about this, but I would say at least those parts were really good.

Amir0x

Banned
walking fiend said:
Ami, congradulations. This is the first OT EVER that I have actually bothered to read more than 50%, let alone finishing it.

The only thing that I noticed, was that a parenthesis was left open!

ah, in the link. good catch

Amir0x

Banned
walking fiend said:
I guess since you are afraid to mod your Wii, you haven't played the demo. There are two puzzles in the demo, one is in fighting with ghirahim (well, not really puzzle, but whatever); the other is the three eye. You may read the parts we spoiler tagged last page about this, but I would say at least those parts were really good.

aha, no! I played the demo at NYCC 2011, before it leaked even :D

Was the last really spoilery thing I did. I know how to solve the puzzles you're talking about. That's why I'm excited about what it means for puzzles that come later in the game.

Yuterald

Christ, why are even arguing over threads!? Who gives a shit. Official threads should just be a focal point for discussion when a game releases. I mean, holy shit, you are on Neogaf, let alone, the INTERNET. You don't need official threads to inform you about a game. The end.

Anyway, next Sunday is going to be open windows, breezy curtains, blue sky gaming. I'm graduating from college this semester and I just finished my internship so I have a few months to figure out my post-college job hunt situation. I'm picking Skyward Sword up with Kirby: Return to Dream Land on the same day so I can enter perfect, non-glitchy, no-patches needed, smooth, polished, Nintendo gaming bliss.

I've been playing Wii and DS games constantly to put myself in a general Nintendo mood. Tomorrow I'm getting Super Mario 3D Land so times are gonna get good! =)

AniHawk

dang, i better get started now to have the overwhelming top number of posts in this thread like the twilight princess one.

Amir0x said:
aha, no! I played the demo at NYCC 2011, before it leaked even :D

Was the last really spoilery thing I did. I know how to solve the puzzles you're talking about. That's why I'm excited about what it means for puzzles that come later in the game.
YOUUUUU... Most of us didn't have the luxury of playing it at an exhibition :( But good resistance not getting more spoiler after that!

I didn't finished TP, and one of the reasons was that I felt the motion control was forced, specially the sword felt tedious and I wish I had gotten the GC version.

But after playing the demo, I feel really good about how well-thought the motion control is at least in mechanism (whether it is in combat or in puzzle or control, etc), though I am a bit not happy about having to recenter the pointer. But maybe it's because it's the alpha build, or maybe because it's I have been playing sitting less than 1m away from the sensor bar.

Retro

God those Wind Waker shots are gorgeous... that's not being upscaled via Dolphin or whatever, is it? I seem to remember it looking that good. Here's hoping Skyward Sword oozes with that level of charm too...

I may need to play some WW this weekend just to mellow out the excitement.

Amir0x said:
Man what! Discovery Channel is still cool sometimes, it hasn't turned entirely over to ancient aliens or shit quite yet.

It's fantastic when it's not people building motorcycles, people driving trucks, people digging for shit in peoples' garage or people catching crabs. Documentaries, Dirty Jobs, Shark Week and Kari Byron's fine redhead ass though? Love it.

Darryl said:
this isn't a black friday special, this is day of release

Yeah, I'm just saying though; K-mart is shady as fuck when it comes to advertising and claiming they'll have product because their goal is to get you in the door no matter what. I wouldn't count on getting the limited edition there and if you absolutely must havet it, it's not worth risking it.

DonMigs85

Oh yeah, is this gonna be on a single-layer DVD? My Wii has some trouble with dual-layer discs like Brawl even after cleaning the lens.

Retro

Busaiku said:
DARN IT
Now I've gotta wait till Monday for that too...

I thought it was Sunday... like, during the day Sunday, not Monday Night at Midnight....

Don't do this to me, man.

Truth101

Banned
Retro said:
I thought it was Sunday... like, during the day Sunday, not Monday Night at Midnight....

It does release Sunday. I wanted to get it Saturday at a midnight launch. :C

Busaiku

Retro said:

No, it is Sunday.
However, I cannot pick it up till Monday.

Just for the hell of it here's one of my other banner concepts, just because I liked it. But in the end I felt they were too much and I wanted something a bit more elegant/iconic.

http://i40.tinypic.com/21cc95w.png

I imagine some people might actually like that one better but I didn't want to do the typical character collage over it, so I saved that for the footer.

Top Bottom