• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda Wii-U Shown at Nintendo Digital Event ["2015"]

Glasshole

Banned
Male just Link typically has feminine features.

Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword didn't have the tunic or hat in the beginning so I don't see why this game would be different.

1. Did you see the screenshots where you see him/her from the side? Might be breasts. last frame before he/she shoots the arrow.

2. When presenting a Zelda game, they'd show him with Epona, on Hyrule Field, without tunic? Both of these facts indicate that he'd be far from the tutorial 'get your tunic' stage. Also, he/she IS WEARING a tunic - it's just not green.

120v

i just got around to seeing this

it pretty much hits off the right checkboxes for me. i was hoping for "open world", hoping for more of a magical/sci fi sort of bent, which this seems to have. and there seems to be a different vibe overall

that said i'm very skeptical. I feel like they've been veering 3D zelda in in the wrong direction the past two games, even though they're both really good in their own right

either way though there's still very little to go on so I'm taking it with a grain of salt

meow

Holy crap. Just got off work, had only been seeing snips on my phone all day. This is not what I would have expected from them showing off Zelda U this year. It's way better. It is absolutely gorgeous.

G.ZZZ

Now that i think about it, could this be the timeline where link leave? The one where Hyrule get flooded at the end. There was no link there.

They spend most of their time faffing around with concepts and ideas for a few years before they actually start making the game.

A game like Skyward Sword shouldn't have taken 5 years to make.

They made 2 handheld Zeldas and Link´s Crossbow Training too.

You can actually look at Hyrule Historia´s SS section to see they hadn´t finalised the enemy design by around 2009 (the concept art has dates on it).

MilkBeard

Wow. REALLY dig that artstyle, it is exactly the perfect balance between some of the newer styles Nintendo has used. Looks so good.

Why do some people say it looks too cartoony? Just look at the wooden textures. It looks perfect:

qf9f9b7d.png

Really cartoony:

zlCfzSCKPYAoUvx4Zy

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Love the way they revealed this. Just showing the overworld behind Aonuma, giving us time to gawk at everything while he's talking was so slick.

Too bad this game screams 2016.

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member
They made 2 handheld Zeldas and Link´s Crossbow Training too.

You can actually look at Hyrule Historia´s SS section to see they hadn´t finalised the enemy design by around 2009 (the concept art has dates on it).

Is it the same dev team? I thought they had different staff for the handheld games.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
http://www.1up.com/news/miyamoto-wii-fit-hardcore-gamers

"The Zelda team is forming again to make a game."

That was 2008. So they spent 2 years doing nothing.

They were busy working on other projects. Parts of teams get moved all over the place to get the creativity flowing. Hell, some of the Zelda team even worked on Wii Fit. The better part of a year or so, hundreds of developers will work on Zelda as they finish it, but years before, the Zelda team works with just a few developers while they set the foundations of the game.

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member
You realise that the people who make Zelda also help out on other projects, right?

I meant doing nothing for the Zelda game.

It'd be silly for staff in any company to not be working.

Out of interest do you know what Nintendo games share staff? I imagine most of the Zelda staff work on the Mario games as well.

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member
They were busy working on other projects. Parts of teams get moved all over the place to get the creativity flowing. Hell, some of the Zelda team even worked on Wii Fit. The better part of a year or so, hundreds of developers will work on Zelda as they finish it, but years before, the Zelda team works with just a few developers while they set the foundations of the game.

Yeaahh i've realised I worded that badly. I meant doing nothing on the Zelda game.

Falcs

Banned
Spent some time looking at the overworld picture, and what I realized is that it's geographically almost the same exact Hyrule from OoT. I pointed out some details here:

QgwBrHv.jpg

You can see what looks like Hyrule Castle in the back, along with Death Mountain, and what I believe to be Goron's Village atop it. Below the mountain is a smaller lake with what looks like a cave. There is a land formation strikingly similar to the one in Hyrule Field in OoT, and next to it is some kind of wooden building or fort (you can see a ladder on it too), which I believe is the entrance to the forrest. A river appears to cut through the field, and takes you to a large body of water, presumably Lake Hylia.

Unfortunately I find it extremely difficult to believe all that you see in that picture will actually be traversable like Skyrim. I'm guessing there'll probably by a sort of "map" like world which you use to get from place a to b. Similar to the Sky in Skyward Sword.
I hope I'm wrong.

Persona7

Banned
Unfortunately I find it extremely difficult to believe all that you see in that picture will actually be traversable like Skyrim. I'm guessing there'll probably by a sort of "map" like world which you use to get from place a to b. Similar to the Sky in Skyward Sword.
I hope I'm wrong.

I don't think they would lie. I hope it is not cut into zones and is just a huge streaming world.

MattyG

Banned
Y'all are being to negative about the release date. I have faith this will come out in 2015.

I mean, if they were almost ready to show it twice last year, I'd imagine they're far along in development. Mid-late 2015 doesn't seem to unreasonable.

I hope I'm wrong.
Nintendo isn't stupid enough to lie about that. If they said it's open world, it will be open world. They must know what kind of a massive shitstorm could come from not delivering on a promise like that.

I hope the game will also be dark at some points, like OoT's shadow temple or Majoras Mask. With this art style, such a atmosphere between lighthearted and dark would be amazing.

One thing I reaaaally really hope is incorporated... a weather system. Riding across that landscape through sprawling mist to eventual crystal clear sky would be very tasty.

RiggyRob

I meant doing nothing for the Zelda game.

It'd be silly for staff in any company to not be working.

Out of interest do you know what Nintendo games share staff? I imagine most of the Zelda staff work on the Mario games as well.

That's my point though, they're not working on Zelda, they're working on other games. That means it took less time to make Skyward Sword, not more.

I don't know specifically but I imagine the EAD teams swap people around as and when they see fit.

vareon

I hope I'm wrong.

If you look at it it's not actually THAT big. Certainly doable on a Wii U. Or maybe they can place some soft transition.

They want it to be seamless, so I reckon that's one thing we wouldn't worry about. I hope.

I hope I'm wrong.

I'm sure there will be some sort of teleportation system in place at a certain point in the game, as is with mose Zeldas, but one of the things emphasized in the Nintendo Direct was the seamless traversing from one area to another in a variety of ways.

I imagine it will work like Wind Waker. In WW, as you moved closer to a grid on the map, the game would start to pre-load the information so that it seemed seamless (Twilight Princess did this too on the main overworld with those long narrow paths that led to a different overworld section) The problem, as mentioned in the direct, was the hardware limitations made it to where there would only be one entrance to an area, or smaller terrain. With this one, it sounds like they really wanted to make it feel like it would be up to your imagination on how to get to a new area.

If you look at it it's not actually THAT big. Certainly doable on a Wii U. Or maybe they can place some soft transition.

They want it to be seamless, so I reckon that's one thing we wouldn't worry about. I hope.

I doubt that is the only area in the game. That looks about the size of one or two Twilight Princess areas in it's overworld.

Were you offended by Legolas in Lord of the Rings? Male elf type characters are often portrayed as feminine/pretty.

Thats a stupid comparison. Link has always been slightly feminine which was fine,
Hyrule Warriors design is the best Link we have ever gotten.
This is just taking it too far.

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member
Y'all are being to negative about the release date. I have faith this will come out in 2015.

I mean, if they were almost ready to show it twice last year, I'd imagine they're far along in development. Mid-late 2015 doesn't seem to unreasonable.

Personally i'm not upset by it nor did i expect it in 2014 because we're getting hyrule warriors this year. I'm a bit nervous about it being pushed into 2016 because i'm not entirely convinced the game is that far in development.

I'm just a bit upset they barely showed anything.
Yet pleased with what I saw...
*Hoping for new trailer in the next Nintendo Direct

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member

Well one could argue, that if it were THAT far into development, they would have shown more footage.

But then, this is Nintendo, and they like to keep their cards close to their chest. Could be that this has some mind blowing gameplay/story elements that they are not willing to show/announce a year before release.

co1onel

I hope I'm wrong.

He said you'll be able to go to the mountains in the background, so I'm taking his word on it.

Log4Girlz

Looks gorgeous, man better than I could have ever expected (all the detail in the backgrounds).

The only problem I have with the trailer is super minor gripe...for fuck sake the boss creature runs at like 200 miles an hour and shotting lasers. WHY IS LINK STILL ALIVE LOL

Lynd7

Well one could argue, that if it were THAT far into development, they would have shown more footage.

But then, this is Nintendo, and they like to keep their cards close to their chest. Could be that this has some mind blowing gameplay/story elements that they are not willing to show/announce a year before release.

It does seem like it could be fairly far along, it may be because it won't be out for awhile. I expect a direct later in the year highlighting a bit more.

bigjig

This game looks absolutely stunning. Probably even outdoes Bloodborne and Grim Fandango as the best reveal of E3 for me.

Hakai

For everyone in the girl team out there just look at link's hands those are definitely not woman hands.

And about the tunic...Maybe you can customize Link? So that's why there is no green tunic?

Ooooor maybe that's the legend on how the hero got recognized by it's tunic?

Or it's just before you got the the classic tunic.

Oh man I wanto more info on this game!!

Top Bottom