• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The legendary futurist and visual artist Syd Mead, dies at 86

mortal

Gold Member

The man was one fo the most inspiring and captivating visual artists I've ever seen. His work has arguably help shaped the visual motifs of cyberpunk and much of science fiction as a whole. Truly inspiring, a unique creative voice.

Blade Runner, Alien , Tron, Star Trek, Ford, Gundam, the list goes on and on. Have a good sleep, Syd Mead.

uavjmMo.jpg

TEVtZJa.jpg

syZEknl.jpg

8PqMVI8.jpg

IsHVhi8.jpg

DyvdrPm.jpg

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

This upset me like you wouldn't believe. He was on a list of artists I wanted to meet someday along with Frank Frazetta. I am saddened.

Yeah, it had the same effect to me when the great Moebius passed away a few years ago. I don't know a lot of artists of that caliber nowadays whose breadth of experience is so wide and whose quality of ideas is so wild.

Kadayi

Banned
RIP. Great inspiration. I own a couple of his more recent books.

I must admit I'm impressed that he was still active even in his 80s. He did the Las Vegas Cityscape Concept Art for Blade Runner 2049.: -

EKvtcURUUAAqJkS

Last edited:
Staring at Oblagon sitting on my shelf...:messenger_pensive: I always wondered if we would get another like Syd that would influence so many movies and design.

You have seen more of his Influence than you realize. 80's and 90's sci-fi Anime had heavy inspirations from him.

I always loved his Mega Cities.

IFI4Dn4.jpg

mortal

Gold Member
I love retro futuristic art. Those giant greyhounds are amazing. It's an incredibly cool yet scary visual. There's something eerie and unsettling about it.
Well said. The imagery is so alien, yet so familiar.

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
Yeah, it had the same effect to me when the great Moebius passed away a few years ago. I don't know a lot of artists of that caliber nowadays whose breadth of experience is so wide and whose quality of ideas is so wild.

Moebius was on the list too : l

dan76

Genius. His use of colour in his paintings is phenomenal. His sense of design and space is crazy. The word "visionary" gets banded about but he truly was one. You can spot his work a mile off, unique and highly influential.

Last edited:
Top Bottom