• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Man Behind "Iron Fist" Says "Danny Rand Is Not A White Savior"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are they making K'un Lun less Asian?

So he learned to speak Mandarin fluently in that multicultural place filled with South Americans, Europeans, and, oh yeah, also some Asians?
Because then they'd have to find Asian people to be background actors, and there's only like 5 of them so they need the other races to fill in scenes

PixelatedBookake

I never saw Iron Fist as that kind of character. He doesn't become Godlike when he gets the Iron Fists. He has to train like a motherfucker and compared to other K'un L'un warriors, he's kinda shit. I've always found that "Danny Rand should be Asian" argument to be confusing. I feel like it comes down to people not familiar with the character thinking "kung-fu man must be Asian" when characters like Shang-chi exist. That's what made Iron Fist's story interesting to me.

I never saw Iron Fist as that kind of character. He doesn't become Godlike when he gets the Iron Fists. He has to train like a motherfucker and compared to other K'un L'un warriors, he's kinda shit. I've always found that "Danny Rand should be Asian" argument to be confusing. I feel like it comes down to people not familiar with the character thinking "kung-fu man must be Asian" when characters like Shang-chi exist. That's what made Iron Fist's story interesting to me.

people love to root for the underdog. either way, the lead is white. so the lead will be the hero/a hero that people root for regardless. thats the point. it's not about being the fucking strongest.

Shang Chi doesn't matter if he isn't in the show, so bringing him up is pointless.

They are more like tropes, than racist roots. And you wouldnt be able to escape Asian mysticism at all since its a key party of the series.

due to the racist roots, of the 70s, and people's view of asians in the 70s. Racist roots.

or are you saying, in the 70s, white people weren't looking at asians a certain kinda way.

I just like stuff being as close to the source material as possible. The ghost in the shell movie pisses me off fyi

also, you weren't really that vocal about it till it seems convenient brah....just sayin.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Just curious, but how many leading role asian characters exist in Marvel other than Shang Chi? I'm just wondering what Marvel could draw from without just changing some existing character's background.

CryptiK

due to the racist roots, of the 70s, and people's view of asians in the 70s. Racist roots.

or are you saying, in the 70s, white people weren't looking at asians a certain kinda way.
Ok lets look at the 70s and the Iron Fist comic. Now how were Asians portrayed? They were absolutely portrayed with the Asian mystic trope, but being the 70s wouldnt have changed anything. That shit is still being done today, even by Asia hell there is even an Asian Movie with all this shit staring Matt Damon happening now. Sure that time had lots of issues when it came to race but I don't distinctly remember anything extremely out there apart from again the Asian Mystic .

Just curious, but how many leading role asian characters exist in Marvel other than Shang Chi? I'm just wondering what Marvel could draw from without just changing some existing character's background.
Not many tbh. The new Hulk is probably the most obvious one.

The Kree

Banned

The current Hulk is Korean. We have Silk prominently in the books. Mantis is appearing in the next Guardians movie. Collen Wing is in this show.

If you wanna include middle eastern people, we can expand the list a tiny bit.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
you weren't vocal about it until it's convenient for your argument.

there, I did it without "just sayin."

Who gives a shit when I'm vocal about something on GAF or not? If I feel something about a subject I feel that about that subject and if I'm in the mood to speak about it I'm in the mood to speak about it.

I never post in threads related to ghost in the shell because I had no interest in the movie after I saw the cast choices, I'm gradually losing interest in the iron fist tv series as well at this point.

The current Hulk is Korean. We have Silk prominently in the books. Mantis is appearing in the next Guardians movie. Collen Wing is in this show.

but mantis isn't a leading role and Colleen wing isn't playing a leading role, shes a supporting actress in the show.

but yea, My boy amadeus and silk are asian leads. And I count Kamala as asian so shes a lead too. but this is all in the comics and that's it.

Who gives a shit when I'm vocal about something on GAF or not? If I feel something about a subject I feel that about that subject and if I'm in the mood to speak about it I'm in the mood to speak about it.

I never post in threads related to ghost in the shell because I had no interest in the movie after I saw the cast choices, I'm gradually losing interest in the iron fist tv series as well at this point.

hey man, whatever you gotta say to make yourself feel better. It aint that big of a deal. I don't hate you or anything.

The Kree

Banned
but mantis isn't a leading role and Colleen wing isn't a leading role, shes a supporting actress in the show.

but yea, My boy amadeus and silk are asian leads. And I count Kamala as asian so shes a lead too. but this is all in the comics.

They could be leading roles if someone were willing to write them that way.

Mantis is gonna be the breakout of GOTG2 until she gets pasted in the face by whatever that flaming thing was in the trailer and then she's RIP

Also can we stop giving people shit for not posting about something

Also can we stop giving people shit for not posting about something

Not really, if dude really felt some kinda way about it, he'd say something. I'd understand if he was a lurker, but he obviously isn't.

Hell, I'm technically a lurker, and I spoke about it cause I felt some kinda way about it.

I'm just calling it like I see it.

Litan

Mantis is gonna be the breakout of GOTG2 until she gets pasted in the face by whatever that flaming thing was in the trailer and then she's RIP

Hope she is a lot like the Mantis from the 2008 - 2010 run. She was my favorite of all the guardians. Was pretty disappointed when she wasn't in the first movie.

Not really, if dude really felt some kinda way about it, he'd say something. I'd understand if he was a lurker, but he obviously isn't.

I'm just calling it like I see it.

Bitch I am the all time speedposter and even I don't post about everything all the goddamn time

Like I think Zelda is shithouse but I don't roll into Nintendo threads poopooing, why would he do the same

If we're calling things like we see them, I think you're attempting to use dude like a trampoline to springboard into a reality show where you fight Judge Judy

Hope she is a lot like the Mantis from the 2008 - 2010 run. She was my favorite of all the guardians. Was pretty disappointed when she wasn't in the first movie.

I think there will be bits and pieces of that run

Bitch I am the all time speedposter and even I don't post about everything all the goddamn time

Like I think Zelda is shithouse but I don't roll into Nintendo threads poopooing, why would he do the same

Bitch you be in every thread that be about this shit. So Bitch please. Zelda? we talking about Zelda?

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Hopefully nobody feels like they need to subject themselves to this terrible looking show. I'd find the racial politics more interesting to debate if it didn't look like a heap. The Netflix Marvel shows seem to be in a fucking spiral and it bums me out.

Hopefully nobody feels like they need to subject themselves to this terrible looking show. I'd find the racial politics more interesting to debate if it didn't look like a heap. The Netflix Marvel shows seem to be in a fucking spiral and it bums me out.

to be honest, I suspect the show will be decent....for 6 episodes...then it will goto shit.

either way, Finn just need to be happy they cuttin him those checks and fall back.

Kin5290

Colleen Wing in the comics isn't Asian. She looks white across alll of her portrayals, she has red hair, and the only thing saying that she's Asian is her backstory.

Colleen Wing in this show is Asian, and she's also basically my #1 reason for watching.

I get the reason why people want an Asian actor/actress to play the lead role, but wouldn't that fall back on the ol' stereotype of Asian characters, especially those who are otherwise unassuming to be proficient in hand-to-hand combat, are likely to know some kind of martial arts and demonstrate it proficiently?

That is one trope that burns my biscuit.

People don't care if an Asian character knows kung fu. As long as the character has a personality then it's not a stereotype.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
to be honest, I suspect the show will be decent....for 6 episodes...then it will goto shit.

either way, Finn just need to be happy they cuttin him those checks and fall back.
They need to make these things shorter. Every damn time they take a perfectly fine 10 ep series and stretch it into a 13 episode sludge fest.

Hope I'm wrong. I would love to be excited about this shit again.

That Shang Chi spinoff show thats keeps being suggested will be announced a week after Iron Fist debuts right. Just like with Punisher

And then theres Mantis, another minority actor in a bunch of green face makeup while Chris Pratt gallavants around

El Topo

That Shang Chi spinoff show thats keeps being suggested will be announced a week after Iron Fist debuts right. Just like with Punisher

I see people treat the Shang Chi spinoff as if it was a given, but is he even confirmed for Iron Fist? Where does this confidence come from that Netflix is going to make a Shang Chi show next?

Shaanyboi

Banned
"We understand there's a concern about Asian actors being underrepresented and white people being given the spotlight, so we took away more Asian roles and gave them to everyone else."

Uhhhh

Slayven

If we're calling things like we see them, I think you're attempting to use dude like a trampoline to springboard into a reality show where you fight Judge Judy

I think there will be bits and pieces of that run

Shut up old man

Matty77

I see people treat the Shang Chi spinoff as if it was a given, but is he even confirmed for Iron Fist? Where does this confidence come from that Netflix is going to make a Shang Chi show next?
As far as I know he's not and there are no plans solo show or otherwise. I only mentioned it in my post because if they really care how this move is percieved it is a good back door way to actually introduce a character that is a master of asian martial arts that is, you know, Asian.

Besides that was a corner of the marvel universe I neglected until recently reading a ton in anticipation of this show and I kind of like some of the stuff, especially the more recent years, featuring Shang Chi a hell of a lot more than Iron Fist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom