• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

prag16

Banned
Yep I was just thinking that. It works well, too: official reasons are different for obvious reasons but behind the scenes there's a motive that explains leaving the whole galaxy.

Where do they actually confirm this? All I see is the interviewer says "you talked about how..."

When did he talk about it? Different interview? I don't see it explicitly mentioned by Condominas in this one.

Where do they actually confirm this? All I see is the interviewer says "you talked about how..."

When did he talk about it? Different interview? I don't see it explicitly mentioned by Condominas in this one.

I'm really surprised to see them confirm it(if they actually did), since they've been pretty cagey about it in the past. I'm pretty sure they've even denied it before.

DevilDog

BioWare: Ah yes! Andromeda initiative was kickstarted because of "Reapers".

We have dismissed that claim.

If it really is real,
I don't know how it works withing ME2. It's like one contradiction contradicting another.

Spinx

AI started in 2176. The first Mass Effect takes place in 2183. The math checks out.

30367.gif

If it really is real,
I don't know how it works withing ME2. It's like one contradiction contradicting another.

Makes sense to me. There were a few organizations that believed Shepard about the Reapers post ME1, it's just the Council and Alliance that 'officially' denied it (and even some influential individuals within them like Anderson believed it). Cerberus was somehow getting more money than god from doners who obviously believed the Reapers were a thing.

Seems pretty reasonable that some wealthy and influential individuals would throw some weight into moving the Andromeda Initiative forward at an increased scale and accelerated time frame with the intention to make it a secret lifeboat program.

Killzig

I mean they're called ARKS. It was weird BioWare would try to obfuscate that purpose in the first place, I think they just wanted to promote the exploration bit first and foremost and that got muddled a bit in the messaging/fan reaction.

GfEsur5.png

I take this to mean that MP rewards are still doled out for MP activities as well as SP rewards. The SP rewards can also be collected by dispatching Apex Force on 'table missions' like what we had in DA:I.

How will this work? I plan on just playing multiplayer during EA access. Will that allow me to still get rewards once I start up my SP game? I dont want any spoilers.

I mean they're called ARKS. It was weird BioWare would try to obfuscate that purpose in the first place, I think they just wanted to promote the exploration bit first and foremost and that got muddled a bit in the messaging/fan reaction.

If it's not the in-universe reason (since the Reapers prior to ME3 are not officially acknowledged) and the PC doesn't know it prior to the start of the game, I don't see why Bioware would specifically state it either though. It seems like that will just be something that the player learns over the course of the story as they learn more about the background of the AI.

prag16

Banned
It seems like that will just be something that the player learns over the course of the story as they learn more about the background of the AI.

Yeah, I'm expecting something like this. I expect t'll be an off-to-the-side lore thing that you can learn about during the game which won't directly affect anything in the main plot.

Cimarron

I have to admit I am officially worried about the game. There is no Bioware/Mass Effect experience at Pax East this year! Why? The hype train should be in danger of flying off the rails at this point! ;^/

Inquisition really, really needed some sort of TAA implementation so I'm happy they're finally committing to that with ME:A.

Next step is a resolution scaler that goes above 100% (ala Battlefront/Battlefield 1); I can't quite make out if it does that going by the menu screenshots.

DevilDog

Makes sense to me. There were a few organizations that believed Shepard about the Reapers post ME1, it's just the Council and Alliance that 'officially' denied it (and even some influential individuals within them like Anderson believed it). Cerberus was somehow getting more money than god from doners who obviously believed the Reapers were a thing.

Seems pretty reasonable that some wealthy and influential individuals would throw some weight into moving the Andromeda Initiative forward at an increased scale and accelerated time frame with the intention to make it a secret lifeboat program.

Sounds aight. As long as they focus on the reaper threat as the motive to move out of the Milky Way. If BioWare thought things through, the Arks will be full of conspiracy lunatics, since they will be the first ones to believe in the reaper threat.

Oh yes, this sidesteps the Council retcons and trash writing too. Now if only they could leave Cerberus back as well :(

I'm very proud of myself that I've managed to not watch a single one of those IGN first videos as of yet :)

risque ;) filler filler filller

I imagine the Shadow Broker being part of it as well. He was aware of the reaper threat and was collaborating with the collectors to ensure his own survival.

Xando

Seems like the PC port is shaping up nicely.

I guess i should make it a rule to only read the OP in mass effect threads other than this one.
5 posts down and already YouTube like shitposting.

Rodhull

The limited edition Andromeda lootcrate is up for sale now.

Never used them before but it added $5 to my order without warning which seemed a bit shady. Thought at first it was a Brexit thing but saw someone from Germany say on twitter the same happened to them.

Still no presence of Jien Garson, founder of the Initiative outside of the initial couple of videos featuring her last year. Are we just to assume she's dead or missing and the only way to find out what happened to her is from a book?

Or is there something about her in the first 13 minutes video (I haven't watched)?

Still no presence of Jien Garson, founder of the Initiative outside of the initial couple of videos featuring her last year. Are we just to assume she's dead or missing and the only way to find out what happened to her is from a book?

Or is there something about her in the first 13 minutes video (I haven't watched)?

That 13-minute video only shows (location spoiler)
activity on humanity's Hyperion ark
. My guess is that Garson hangs out on the
Nexus with the advance party
and you'll find her there when you eventually reconnect.

I'm very proud of myself that I've managed to not watch a single one of those IGN first videos as of yet :)

I said I wouldn't watch any of them, but I caved immediately.

Nope, she isn't seen or mentioned in that video.

prag16

Banned

They made a point of it to announce Jamie Clayton as the voice of Jien Garson, so I doubt it'll be a totally throwaway role limited to some videos. She'll probably be on the Nexus somewhere.

Well shit, hope we keep that achievement stuff out of here if it's too spoilery.

That being said though, is there a "finish the game on the highest difficulty" trophy?

Lucreto

The limited edition Andromeda lootcrate is up for sale now.

Never used them before but it added $5 to my order without warning which seemed a bit shady. Thought at first it was a Brexit thing but saw someone from Germany say on twitter the same happened to them.

Ordered,

I got the last Mass Effect Loot Crate as well. I don't know why but I never got an email from them saying it was available.

prag16

Banned
Well shit, hope we keep that achievement stuff out of here if it's too spoilery.

That being said though, is there a "finish the game on the highest difficulty" trophy?
It's actually less spoilery than I expected. A few vague hints and confirmations of things we already know pretty much.

Mindlog

I honestly thought there would be more nitpicking about why the Nexus can build great expansions based on the discoveries of one ship.

AKA, if that could be done then why aren't there more Nexus class stations?

Vamphuntr

The Arks must have some sweet side-ways thrusters because at this angle I don't know how they managed to dock with the outer ring of the Nexus being so close.

I'm curious to see how they will explain all these structures in the lore. These ships and structures are so huge and evolved they probably cost many trillions of dollars. Reminds me of Cerberus in 2 and 3 where they had unlimited money. I'm just crossing my fingers the characters will be great and the gameplay good enough to hook me.

I honestly thought there would be more nitpicking about why the Nexus can build great expansions based on the discoveries of one ship.

AKA, if that could be done then why aren't there more Nexus class stations?

We know there are stations that dwarf the Nexus (e.g. Omega), but broadly speaking, once you've got the Citadel it doesn't make a lot of sense to build giant space stations when you could just settle a convenient planet. The only reason for a Citadel style station is to provide a seat of government or trade or just a neutral meeting ground. The Nexus works as a counterpart to that.

Xanathus

love the free pizza.

Achievements have been posted, many spoilers ahead. Click at your own peril.
https://www.exophase.com/game/mass-effect-andromeda-psn/trophies/

There aren't actually any real spoilers in the achievements, but just to be safe
It's interesting that you don't actually need to do a single-player playthrough on Insanity difficulty for that achievement, instead you can just do 5 multiplayer missions on the hardest difficulty. Makes me feel better about starting the single-player game on a Normal/Hard difficulty instead. I'm really annoyed about all the grinding achievements in the game though where you have to do 100s of a particular action, but it looks like the really grindy ones can be done in multiplayer so I guess they'll come by themselves. I'll have to keep an eye out for what the single-player only grindy achievements are so that I play a build that can do those, so far it looks like you HAVE to play as a Biotic and/or Tech character in order to do those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom