• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dima

Neo Member
I played the Omega DLC for the first time yesterday. I was surprised at the length of it, new enemies where fun, loved the robots.

Liked it as well! Very happy that the guy who led the production for the Omega DLC - Fabrice Condominas - is now the producer for the next Mass Effect.

Mindlog

I know Bioware is a big studio and all, but those Dragon Age reviews are just making me that much more excited for the next Mass Effect. Really hoping the DA multiplayer holds up to ME3MP scrutiny.

Leonsito

10533945_1548397732064985_627730447_n.jpg

After years posponing the end of the game, I finally finished it today. What a ride!, I loved every moment in each game, every character, every situation, every mission... it's been an honor Shepard!

I need more Mass Effect, and after seeing Interstellar... a movie too!

Nope. There's no basis for saying a game that's likely a year and a half away still should have shown more than their in engine prototypes back during summer, nearly two years from the release of the game. They've got a lot of time left to develop and market the game, which is why they've barely started the marketing and technically haven't done the announcement yet.

I guess I can agree with that. Regardless, I am interested to see what they come up with.

Played the Citadel DLC for the first time. Haven't finish it yet but is much better than Omega. Since I can have James as a squadmate. The new enemies are not as interesting as the ones in Omega, the feel like Cerberus re-skins. I'm surprised there's was combat in it so I'm glad. I got spoiled of the main enemy and her lackey long ago before I was into Mass Effect for some reason.

Patryn

Played the Citadel DLC for the first time. Haven't finish it yet but is much better than Omega. Since I can have James as a squadmate. The new enemies are not as interesting as the ones in Omega, the feel like Cerberus re-skins. I'm surprised there's was combat in it so I'm glad. I got spoiled of the main enemy and her lackey long ago before I was into Mass Effect for some reason.

The "mission" is just one component of Citadel. It's a fun mission, but it's not nearly the best part of that DLC.

Just wait until you unlock the combat simulator and you can use any squadmates from ANY of the Mass Effect games in it.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I hope they get rid of the good or evil system in the next Mass Effect games. I like the moral system, but you either have to go 100% renegade or paragon to get the best effect, and that somehow ruins the entire purpose of it. I hope they learn something from The Witcher in terms of choices.

kurahador

I hope they get rid of the good or evil system in the next Mass Effect games. I like the moral system, but you either have to go 100% renegade or paragon to get the best effect, and that somehow ruins the entire purpose of it. I hope they learn something from The Witcher in terms of choices.

ME3 stops doing that actually.

Still can make decisions though? I think it's fully possible to have a morality system without defining as "good" or "evil". Game of Thrones-esque shades of grey please!

More range than that, please. Varying shades of gray are all well and good, but I like having some good and evil outliers to make things interesting. When it gets to Game of Thrones levels "everyone's a bastard, it's just a matter of degrees," it starts to get tough for me to give a damn.

More range than that, please. Varying shades of gray are all well and good, but I like having some good and evil outliers to make things interesting. When it gets to Game of Thrones levels "everyone's a bastard, it's just a matter of degrees," it starts to get tough for me to give a damn.

Well Game of Thrones tends to err towards the bastard side, but you know what I mean. There's comitting genocide, then there's stealing a loaf of bread for your starving sister's child...

Who am Iiiiiiii I'm Jean Van Shepaaarrrd

Asbear

Banned
I know Bioware is a big studio and all, but those Dragon Age reviews are just making me that much more excited for the next Mass Effect. Really hoping the DA multiplayer holds up to ME3MP scrutiny.

As opposed to the Mass Effect 2 and 3 reviews? Many hate Mass Effect 3, yet it got very high metacritics. My rule is, don't put your faith in metacritic. Bioware games live or die by their quality of storytelling in my book and most reviewers tend to rate narrative pretty superficially because the main focus is how well the game works as a whole where story is just one little box to tick.

Mindlog

As opposed to the Mass Effect 2 and 3 reviews? Many hate Mass Effect 3, yet it got very high metacritics. My rule is, don't put your faith in metacritic. Bioware games live or die by their quality of storytelling in my book and most reviewers tend to rate narrative pretty superficially because the main focus is how well the game works as a whole where story is just one little box to tick.
Scores from outlets don't mean much to me. I never even had the slightest urge to get DA2.

Patryn

I really hope we encounter a society that developed without the benefit of Mass Relay technology. I think that would be fascinating.

Banned
I'm thinking Q1 2016.

I expect marketing to really kick into gear in a few months.
4 years to make a Mass Effect game? Is Frostbite 3 really that difficult to master? The average ME game took 30-36 months to make usually. I thought holiday 2015 would even be pushing it b

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
4 years to make a Mass Effect game? Is Frostbite 3 really that difficult to master? The average ME game took 30-36 months to make usually. I thought holiday 2015 would even be pushing it b

Well, they have a number of issues.

1.) The biggest issue is that they had to build a whole new team to make the game. BioWare Montreal was only like 30-40 people at the end of Mass Effect 3.

2.) Switching engines takes a while, though Dragon Age did a lot of the heavy lifting there. However, it still takes time since they presumably need some features Dragon Age didn't have.

3.) Dragon Age is eating up a lot of staff. DICE mentioned that there was a BioWare project that had over 400 contributors a couple of years ago, so the bulk staff that would move on to put Mass Effect into full production was busy on Dragon Age until very recently.

4.) I get the implication that this is supposed to be a much larger game than previous Mass Effect titles, and is also changing a lot of mechanics, so they need time to both work out how the game will function and then make a ton of content for it based on what they decided.

Overall EA seems likely to be aiming for three year cycles out of BioWare rotating between their three retail products.

New Mass Effect began development sometime around Q3 2012...it'd be less than 4 years.

Frostbite 3 is serving them very well actually. This isn't coming to last generation systems, so they're really wanting to genuinely make the game expansive. They're also creating a completely new story, new gameplay mechanics, etc instead of continuing with a sequel ala the prior trilogy. It will take a little longer.

I think the wait will be well worth it.

Guri

Definitely better than a rushed game. I'm replaying Mass Effect 3 as we speak and there are some critical bugs that were never fixed. There was a time when they tried to experiment with shorter release periods. ME2 was released 2 and a half years after ME1 (which turned out fine) and ME3 just 2 years after. DA II was released one and a half year after DAO. We know the result of that.

The Next Mass Effect won't reuse assets, it's a new story by a "new" team. It takes a bit more of planning and I'm glad they are taking their time.

Asbear

Banned
I think a 3-4 year cycle for NextME is absolutely necessary. It's a new team and a new engine and the first part of an entirely new storyline so a LOT of work is spent in pre-production just getting the basics right.

I hope for their own sake that Bioware don't feel obligated to address issues like the Ending of ME3 in the new game though. Nothing good will ever come of that. They effectively screwed themselves over with ME3, but they should accept that they failed and then move on, reboot it or retcon it, but they shouldn't ever try to force an explanation that somehow changes the endings upon retrospection. Just lay it to rest.

Banned
Well, they have a number of issues.

1.) The biggest issue is that they had to build a whole new team to make the game. BioWare Montreal was only like 30-40 people at the end of Mass Effect 3.

2.) Switching engines takes a while, though Dragon Age did a lot of the heavy lifting there. However, it still takes time since they presumably need some features Dragon Age didn't have.

3.) Dragon Age is eating up a lot of staff. DICE mentioned that there was a BioWare project that had over 400 contributors a couple of years ago, so the bulk staff that would move on to put Mass Effect into full production was busy on Dragon Age until very recently.

4.) I get the implication that this is supposed to be a much larger game than previous Mass Effect titles, and is also changing a lot of mechanics, so they need time to both work out how the game will function and then make a ton of content for it based on what they decided.

Overall EA seems likely to be aiming for three year cycles out of BioWare rotating between their three retail products.

New Mass Effect began development sometime around Q3 2012...it'd be less than 4 years.

Frostbite 3 is serving them very well actually. This isn't coming to last generation systems, so they're really wanting to genuinely make the game expansive. They're also creating a completely new story, new gameplay mechanics, etc instead of continuing with a sequel ala the prior trilogy. It will take a little longer.

I think the wait will be well worth it.

Definitely better than a rushed game. I'm replaying Mass Effect 3 as we speak and there are some critical bugs that were never fixed. There was a time when they tried to experiment with shorter release periods. ME2 was released 2 and a half years after ME1 (which turned out fine) and ME3 just 2 years after. DA II was released one and a half year after DAO. We know the result of that.

The Next Mass Effect won't reuse assets, it's a new story by a "new" team. It takes a bit more of planning and I'm glad they are taking their time.
I know all of this :( but I don't want to believe it. My hype is real and I want some Next gen ME. I'll even take the trilogy remastered to hold me over lol.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
People blamed them for rushing ME3, so of course they're gonna take their time with ME4, or whatever they wanna call it but don't want to tell us.

Patryn

Gears of Exploration.
Yeah, I have little faith in them producing a decent RPG for the next Mass Effect.

If you want an idea of what Mass Effect may be like, look at Dragon Age: Inquisition. Apparently Bioware told journalists that it would be a template for their future titles.

What that means is up to your own interpretation, but I think I can see how they can fit the new Mako into things.

I worry about the talk of new gameplay mechanics in terms of genre and the conversation system. With regards to genre, I hope it stays third person, I have nothing against those who prefer a first person game but there is plenty of them out there, from a personal point of view I would like it to stay as it was previously.

The conversation system, I feel Mass Effect has the best one out there, it shows how your character and the other characters engage in dialogue and actions. Dodgy facial capture and animations aside, I always liked how they were presented. In games like Fallout and others I felt it was a one way thing, you see the character speak to you but not your actions and emotions, in some games you choose something to say but you don't hear it or see them say it.

I'm excited and nervous for this game, it's my favourite IP, I want to see it improve but not sacrifice or bring a " ain't broke so don't fix it" situation into the mix.

My fear/nightmare is that Microsoft will buy exclusive rights to Me4, just like they did with RoTR, and I won't be able to play it on Ps4.

Seeing as how the ME series was largely exclusive to 360 last gen, I can certainly see this happening.

I worry about the talk of new gameplay mechanics in terms of genre and the conversation system. With regards to genre, I hope it stays third person, I have nothing against those who prefer a first person game but there is plenty of them out there, from a personal point of view I would like it to stay as it was previously.
It's still third person.

Bombless

What I'm most interested in in Inquisition is to see how the new multiplayer works. I suspect the Mass Effect version will heavily draw from this.

rdrr gnr

My fear/nightmare is that Microsoft will buy exclusive rights to Me4, just like they did with RoTR, and I won't be able to play it on Ps4.

Seeing as how the ME series was largely exclusive to 360 last gen, I can certainly see this happening.
0% chance of that happening.

I'm hoping that DA:I shows the possibilities of the next ME. I'm going on a low-tech birthday holiday right after DA:I comes out. That....wouldn't be happening if it was the next Mass Effect coming out.

0% chance of that happening.

How can you be so sure. Microsoft did it with RoTR, I don't think any of us saw that coming. It's not like rumors were swirling before the reveal that Microsoft was buying the exclusive rights to it, like there were with Minecraft... which brings me to my next point, in that Microsoft bought Mojang, so you can bet your ass a Minecraft 2 will be completely Microsoft exclusive.

ME was exclusive to Xbox for a good while. Until part of the series finally went multiplatform and eventually all of it, but it took a very long time. So it's safe to say ME is pretty recognized as an Xbox franchise even though it's not exclusive anymore.

Microsoft knows this. And they have the money to buy up timed exclusivity all they want. So I ask again, how can you be so sure?

ME was exclusive to Xbox for a good while. Until part of the series finally went multiplatform and eventually all of it, but it took a very long time. So it's safe to say ME is pretty recognized as an Xbox franchise even though it's not multiplatform anymore.
Mass Effect really isn't "recognized as an Xbox franchise" though. One of its games was "exclusive" (which just meant that it wasn't on PS3) for a while; that's not a huge brand message. BioWare had been shopping around for someone to buy them for a while. They were considering Microsoft for a while (which, I suspect, is why the original Mass Effect wasn't on the PS3 for a while), but they later settled on EA. I think the Microsoft exclusivity ship has sailed.

Mass Effect really isn't "recognized as an Xbox franchise" though. One of its games was "exclusive" (which just meant that it wasn't on PS3) for a while; that's not a huge brand message. BioWare had been shopping around for someone to buy them for a while. They were considering Microsoft for a while (which, I suspect, is why the original Mass Effect wasn't on the PS3 for a while), but they later settled on EA. I think the Microsoft exclusivity ship has sailed.
I hope so. It can't hurt that Xbox isn't the dominant system this time around.

well since ME has been on xbox longer, it's sold a lot better on that platform. IGN also ranked the trilogy the #1 greatest game(s) on 360 out of a list of their top 25 picks.
I hope so. It can't hurt that Xbox isn't the dominant system this time around.

that can easily change, and it already is happening (at least in the past 2 weeks)

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

"Largely"? Only the first game was exclusive, and even then, it got released to PC soon after and on PS3 near the end of last gen. The franchise was multiplatform much more longer than it was exclusive to Xbox.

"Largely"? Only the first game was exclusive, and even then, it got released to PC soon after and on PS3 near the end of last gen. The franchise was multiplatform much more longer than it was exclusive to Xbox.

I don't count PC ports alongside a console part as a loss of exclusivity. Loss of console value yes, but it's still the only console you can play it on.

Andodalf

Banned

Me2 came late to ps3, me3 was first to be a simultaneous launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom