• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Indoctrination theory is a bunch of nonsense self-deluded fans cooked up, the Extended Cut and Leviathan DLC all but disprove it. However, BioWare refuses to official strike the theory down because they don't want to destroy deluded fanboy head canon.

This is overly harsh. IT was one of the most impressive things I had seen and I was a believer, because it was the ONLY way that the ending made close to perfect sense. If IT had been true it would have made everything brilliant. It was Bioware's perfect out, but they refused to take it, but instead gave us the extended cut, which certainly was better than the original, but nowhere near satisfying to most people.

The documentaries on the IT were very compelling and I enjoyed them, although some of them went a bit too far and lasted like over an hour when the point could have been made in less than 10 minutes.

Nevertheless, I view IT as a missed opportunity for Bioware.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
There's also the fact that people who played it only with the extended DLC are comings late to the party, which does have two implications:

1) They've heard about how utterly, mind-boggling attrocious the ending is from friends / the intertubes, to the point where no matter how bad the ending was it couldn't be as awful as the expectations around it are

2) The people who hit it first are generally those who had a lot more committed in terms of time to the series - if you've waited 6 years for the end to a series it's going to have a much bigger impact on you than if you get all three games and then play them through in the same month.

Both of those combine to mean I don't think it will have the same impact on people playing now - plus at the time there was a bit of a 'disaster survivor' experience going on where everyone was just stumbling round shell-shocked at how shockingly shit the ending was, and that reinforced the beliefs.

This is absolutely 100% true. The people who were most stung by the endings were those who had many years and many playthroughs invested in the series. Those that had done maybe one playthrough or started with ME3 or even ME2 weren't likely to care as much and many of them didn't.

I still would LOVE for a book to be written about this were we could get some brutally honest interviews to figure out how Mac and Casey just completely dropped the ball on the ending.

There's also the fact that people who played it only with the extended DLC are comings late to the party, which does have two implications:

1) They've heard about how utterly, mind-boggling attrocious the ending is from friends / the intertubes, to the point where no matter how bad the ending was it couldn't be as awful as the expectations around it are

2) The people who hit it first are generally those who had a lot more committed in terms of time to the series - if you've waited 6 years for the end to a series it's going to have a much bigger impact on you than if you get all three games and then play them through in the same month.

Both of those combine to mean I don't think it will have the same impact on people playing now - plus at the time there was a bit of a 'disaster survivor' experience going on where everyone was just stumbling round shell-shocked at how shockingly shit the ending was, and that reinforced the beliefs.
I agree. The outcry was as loud as it was because everyone who was part of it was emotionally invested in the series. Playing through it shorter than that after everything has been said and done probably won't have as much of an impact on you unless you pace yourself instead of playing through it just to beat it and seeing what the commotion is all about.
This is overly harsh. IT was one of the most impressive things I had seen and I was a believer, because it was the ONLY way that the ending made close to perfect sense. If IT had been true it would have made everything brilliant. It was Bioware's perfect out, but they refused to take it, but instead gave us the extended cut, which certainly was better than the original, but nowhere near satisfying to most people.

The documentaries on the IT were very compelling and I enjoyed them, although some of them went a bit too far and lasted like over an hour when the point could have been made in less than 10 minutes.

same.

Bioware royally fucked up with Me3, nothing else to it. And adding more dlc extendec cut, leviathan, citadel, didn't do jack shit to make it better. If anything, it made it worse reinforcing the fact that there is no post ending gameplay.

Patryn

Even if Bioware wanted to, the cost to implement IT would have been massive. I'm guessing something on the level of Citadel, because they would have had to bring back more expensive voice actors such as Martin Sheen (because they would have had to deal with the real end of the Illusive Man).

The only way that would have worked would have been to charge for it, which Bioware absolutely could not do. In addition, it likely would have been seen as throwing Casey and Mac under the bus, which they probably didn't want to do as they still had to work with them.

They did the best they could do under the circumstances. The fact remains that the ending should have never shipped like that in the first place.

MBison

I'm replaying Mass effect 2 and don't remember this. I read online there's a 5 mission countdown after horizon and I can't do other stuff? Huh? I thought you can't even get Loyalty missions before horizon and there's 10 of them and I remembre doing them all before. What gives, am I missunderstanding? Help !

It's at the wikia

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Horizon_(mission)

I'm replaying Mass effect 2 and don't remember this. I read online there's a 5 mission countdown after horizon and I can't do other stuff? Huh? I thought you can't even get Loyalty missions before horizon and there's 10 of them and I remembre doing them all before. What gives, am I missunderstanding? Help !

The only mission timer I know of is the one that occurs after your crew is taken from the collectors. You have just enough time to get legions loyalty mission complete before heading through the Omega 4 relay in time to save the whole crew. AKA, do every loyalty/recruitment mission before the derelict reaper mission (minus legion because you get him on that mission).
Pretty easy.

EDIT: Tagged what I just said as spoilers in-case someone hasn't played ME2.

Kabouter

It's at the wikia

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Horizon_(mission)

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Reaper_IFF < No, this is the point of no return, and it can be postponed as long as you want. Be sure to do literally everything you can do up to that point before you start that mission. After that, the only mission you should be doing is Legion's loyalty mission, once you've done that, the crew should be kidnapped and you should be going straight into the Omega 4 relay fully prepared.

Maledict

I thought there was a loop hole in the mission counter so that you could do two missions after the IFF mission *if* one of those missions was Tali's loyalty mission? I swear you could take Legion with you to do that and not lose crew members, plus the Legions loyalty mission.

There's no loop hole, if you have 2 or more missions available after the IFF mission, you can do two. If you've only got one mission left, it will trigger as soon as that one mission is done.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Reaper_IFF < No, this is the point of no return, and it can be postponed as long as you want. Be sure to do literally everything you can do up to that point before you start that mission. After that, the only mission you should be doing is Legion's loyalty mission, once you've done that, the crew should be kidnapped and you should be going straight into the Omega 4 relay fully prepared.
I made this 1 mistake in my very first complete playthrough of Me2. Kept my entire squad alive but the rest of my crew died =(
There's no loop hole, if you have 2 or more missions available after the IFF mission, you can do two. If you've only got one mission left, it will trigger as soon as that one mission is done.

I think he means after the collectors board, Joker asks you if you want to go through the Omega 4 Relay right away and you say you will, but then you actually don't and instead do something else next time you go on the galaxy map.

Hmm. Didnt know that. I always just went right into the omega relay, saving a spot first then loading it back doing legion's loyalty mission after finishing the game.

Hmm. Didnt know that. I always just went right into the omega relay, saving a spot first then loading it back doing legion's loyalty mission after finishing the game.

Just to clarify, if your crew has been kidnapped you should go straight away. But the kidnapping itself occurs 2 missions after the IFF relay, or less, if there are less missions available.

Just to clarify, if your crew has been kidnapped you should go straight away. But the kidnapping itself occurs 2 missions after the IFF relay, or less, if there are less missions available.

correct me if I'm wrong, but you have a conversation with joker and he says you can go to the o4relay right away, and you can say yes to him and end the conversation, BUT, not actually go there next time you pull up your galaxy map.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I don't get why people get angst over IT really... if some people enjoy toying with the thought of it, so what?

I like thinking occasionally that it could be a possibility... it doesn't make me self deluded; just curious.

DOWN

Banned
I wonder if there was ever any thought of ME3's multiplayer going F2P.
Not sure, but they said microtransactions paid the fees they would have needed for DLC packs, so they were happy they got to make all maps, characters, and content free to everyone thanks to the success of the optional microtransactions. This carried over to DAI and they sound very proud of not fragmenting their community online.

Agremont

As someone who was burned by Mass Effect 3 I must say I'm starting to feel the Mass Effect itch again. Can't wait to see what they've got in store for us next. Although I don't dare to be too optimistic.

Has there been any hints or news in the last weeks / months that a remastered trilogy for ps4/xbone is in development?

Everybody else is doing it, this would benefit so much though. Mass Effect (1) is probably my favourite game of the last 20 years or so but I really didn't like it with m/kb controls. 360 was great but the framerate was choppy.

I'd really love to replay the series with all dlc on my ps4.

Saiyan-Rox

Lol I've got a problem even though its a stupid problem with these atm (firstworldproblem)

I want to reply them and the DLCs (never played the DLC) I've got all three on the ps3 and on PC. I tried playing the PS3 ones but the graphics now annoy me but the first and seconds games have all the DLC installed already. On the PC they look better (and can be modded) but alas no DLC at all, no controller support and with the DLC for ME3 on ps3 still being expensive and all the games dlc being on biowares store on pc I dunno what to do lol

Bout this time I'd like a remaster with everything included please.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Lol I've got a problem even though its a stupid problem with these atm (firstworldproblem)

I want to reply them and the DLCs (never played the DLC) I've got all three on the ps3 and on PC. I tried playing the PS3 ones but the graphics now annoy me but the first and seconds games have all the DLC installed already. On the PC they look better (and can be modded) but alas no DLC at all, no controller support and with the DLC for ME3 on ps3 still being expensive and all the games dlc being on biowares store on pc I dunno what to do lol

Bout this time I'd like a remaster with everything included please.

Does the current trilogy all-in-one package include some/all DLCs for ME1 and ME2? I think it does. It could be an alternative for you. You would still need to buy ME3 DLCs seperatly though.

Patryn

The one DLC that we'll likely never see again is Pinnacle Station, which apparently has lost source code or something.

Not that you're missing much.

Saiyan-Rox

Does the current trilogy all-in-one package include some/all DLCs for ME1 and ME2? I think it does. It could be an alternative for you. You would still need to buy ME3 DLCs seperatly though.

I've already got all 3 base games though so buying the trilogy box I don't think would save me much on PC? ME3 on PS3 is the only one I'd need DLC for but they're still wanting 12 quid for the citadel DLC thats more expensive than the full game now!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'd say wait until E3 and cross your fingers that a remaster with all DLCs(minus Pinnacle Station, cause it's fucking terrible apparently) is announced.

The one DLC that we'll likely never see again is Pinnacle Station, which apparently has lost source code or something.

There is one cool map. The one with the big barn and all the catwalks. That would have been cool to play in ME2's engine.

jmood88

Pinnacle Station would be fun with 3's combat but it really showed how horrible the combat was in the first Mass Effect. Man, that was awful to play.

Patryn

Pinnacle Station would be fun with 3's combat but it really showed how horrible the combat was in the first Mass Effect. Man, that was awful to play.

I don't know, it wasn't so bad. Maybe that final mission, but once you learn how to exploit the systems, it's not that hard at all.

Saiyan-Rox

I'd say wait until E3 and cross your fingers that a remaster with all DLCs(minus Pinnacle Station, cause it's fucking terrible apparently) is announced.

I would hope this happens! I don't mind playing the games on PC I can cope with the Keyboard and mouse controls I guess it's just the DLC is so stupid to get and it's expensive as shit

prag16

Banned
I don't know, it wasn't so bad. Maybe that final mission, but once you learn how to exploit the systems, it's not that hard at all.

Yeah, I remember that after a few tries I was able to get through the tougher parts of it. But definitely still would have benefited from ME3 combat.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

IIRC it wasn't Pinnacle that was lost it was the other one that introduced the Batarians that they lost the source code to. I may remember wrong though.

X-Frame

What're the chances that they would announce a remastered Trilogy edition during E3 and release it during the summer as well? Or is it most likely announced at E3 and then released during the Fall or Holiday season?

Hell I didn't even have trouble with them on insanity.
Yeah, I remember that after a few tries I was able to get through the tougher parts of it. But definitely still would have benefited from ME3 combat.
I really need to get a new PC and ME for it so I can give out perfect builds so peeps can see exactly how easy the game can be when you do it right. By level 50 you should be able to take at least three rockets to the face without losing your shields depending on the type. As a soldier at 50 you should be regening a lot of health, and for some extra health just slap a couple of med exoskeletens X on your armor.

You should be able to take just about anything on. Chose a gun (I usually just went with AR when playing soldier) and dump the rest of your XP into your armor and health. Those are the necessities for soldiers. With Adepts dump XP into Lift (no matter the difficulty) Lift makes the Saren fight very very simple. Lift, unload pistol, and Lift until cutscene. Lift again and shoot and Lift until battle is over.

No part of the game should feel like a challenge if you do it right... well except for Thresher Maws. Those fuckers are a bitch no matter what you do. But they can be simple if you know how to rock the Mako.

jmood88

It wasn't about it not being hard, it just wasn't fun to play at all and highlighted how bad the combat was in the first Mass Effect.

What're the chances that they would announce a remastered Trilogy edition during E3 and release it during the summer as well? Or is it most likely announced at E3 and then released during the Fall or Holiday season?

It depends. The Mass Effect series definitely defined the 7th gen, so if they just remastered it for the 8th gen, it kinda ruins the legacy, but I wouldn't mind. The visuals could use an upgrade.

If Me4 releases next year, then they might give us an announcement for the remaster this E3.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It depends. The Mass Effect series definitely defined the 7th gen, so if they just remastered it for the 8th gen, it kinda ruins the legacy, but I wouldn't mind. The visuals could use an upgrade.
Defined the generation? Ruins the legacy?

Do you actually think about what you type?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yes I do and I stand by what I said. It is the reason why too many remasters will make this gen feel like partially like a rehash of last gen.

What a joke.

Mass Effect did not come anywhere close to "defining the legacy" of last generation. That honor goes to Call of Duty MW for better or worse.

What a joke.

Mass Effect did not come anywhere close to "defining the legacy" of last generation. That honor goes to Call of Duty MW for better or worse.
Ugh.

Maybe I should've said "one of" the defining titles. I didn't mean the trilogy single handedly defined the 7th gen.

And when I say "ruin the legacy" I meant its own legacy because of how it defined the last generation. The trilogy was unique to the last generation and while I'm all for a remastered trilogy, it would be continuing the notion of making this gen feel partially like a rehash of last gen.

MBison

About to replay me3 on PC for the first time since release. I never played the dlc (except from ashes). Can I just install all the dlc, citadel and leviathan etc and how will it be represented in game? I know what citadel dlc is, I should just save it to just before the final mission or? How will it represent itself in game? Any suggestions on game appropriate spots to play the me3 dlc?

Patryn

IIRC it wasn't Pinnacle that was lost it was the other one that introduced the Batarians that they lost the source code to. I may remember wrong though.
You're wrong. Bring Down the Sky is on all platforms, Pinnacle isn't on PS3 because of the issue.

About to replay me3 on PC for the first time since release. I never played the dlc (except from ashes). Can I just install all the dlc, citadel and leviathan etc and how will it be represented in game? I know what citadel dlc is, I should just save it to just before the final mission or? How will it represent itself in game? Any suggestions on game appropriate spots to play the me3 dlc?

You'll get emails, and then when you dock at the Citadel you'll have new options to go to. Select them to start the respective missions.

Citadel is best played just before the point of no return. Omega is best anytime after you finish recruiting Aria's merc recruitment. Leviathan I tend to play towards the end.

Daemul

Pinnacle Station is the worst piece of DLC content I've ever played, PlayStation users aren't missing anything with that piece of shit.

prag16

Banned
Ugh.

Maybe I should've said "one of" the defining titles. I didn't mean the trilogy single handedly defined the 7th gen.

And when I say "ruin the legacy" I meant its own legacy because of how it defined the last generation. The trilogy was unique to the last generation and while I'm all for a remastered trilogy, it would be continuing the notion of making this gen feel partially like a rehash of last gen.

You'll have to excuse JohnnyFootball's visceral reaction. He has all his eggs in the "PS4bone remaster" basket and has been shouting down everyone who thinks it won't happen, or thinks it isn't necessary.

I kid, partially. But he REALLY wants the remaster. I do agree with him in that the idea that a remaster shits on the legacy of the series as a gen 7 institution is a silly one. That said, gen 8 DOES continue to feel like gen 7 with a new coat of paint (cross gen, remasters, other games that don't really do anything new/interesting other than slightly better graphics). Hopefully that changes in the next few years.

I want a new version with all the games just so I can play the trilogy with my controller. i played it on the pc and the mouse and keyboard did not add to the experience for me.

As for Pinnacle Station, I played it but I don't remember it. So I got that going for me.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You'll have to excuse JohnnyFootball's visceral reaction. He has all his eggs in the "PS4bone remaster" basket and has been shouting down everyone who thinks it won't happen, or thinks it isn't necessary.

I kid, partially. But he REALLY wants the remaster. I do agree with him in that the idea that a remaster shits on the legacy of the series as a gen 7 institution is a silly one. That said, gen 8 DOES continue to feel like gen 7 with a new coat of paint (cross gen, remasters, other games that don't really do anything new/interesting other than slightly better graphics). Hopefully that changes in the next few years.

It will change in the next few years, but its going to take a while before cross gen titles die out just like it took many years for PS2 titles to die out. Madden was getting released until 2011 on PS2. Although it's a different case since they were just using the final PS2 engine and just updating the rosters, but still.

But yes, its very safe to say that this gen will contain significantly more remasters than the previous gen for the simple fact that its easy money for the publishers and there is a demand for them. They will NOT ever replace new games. New games are what drive the market and sales. Remasters will always be additional revenue. Nothing more. I am fine with that.

However, arguments such as "rehash generation" or "generation of remasters" are pretty ignorant stupid arguments. I would give this argument some validity if we ever reach a quarter where we get more remasters than we do new games.

And yes, I do want a remaster of the Mass Effect trilogy.
Along with The Arkham series, Bioshock, Resistance series, and Uncharted series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom