• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

prag16

Banned
It will change in the next few years, but its going to take a while before cross gen titles die out just like it took many years for PS2 titles to die out. Madden was getting released until 2011 on PS2. Although it's a different case since they were just using the final PS2 engine and just updating the rosters, but still.

But yes, its very safe to say that this gen will contain significantly more remasters than the previous gen for the simple fact that its easy money for the publishers and there is a demand for them. They will NOT ever replace new games. New games are what drive the market and sales. Remasters will always be additional revenue. Nothing more. I am fine with that.

However, arguments such as "rehash generation" or "generation of remasters" are pretty ignorant stupid arguments. I would give this argument some validity if we ever reach a quarter where we get more remasters than we do new games.

And yes, I do want a remaster of the Mass Effect trilogy.
Along with The Arkham series, Bioshock, Resistance series, and Uncharted series.

I don't disagree really. There are less new games than in the past probably, but not because there are remasters. If anything it's the other way around; some remasters here and there can help fill gaps in the lineup.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I don't disagree really. There are less new games than in the past probably, but not because there are remasters. If anything it's the other way around; some remasters here and there can help fill gaps in the lineup.

Again, I disagree. October and Nov were some of the biggest months in new gaming in quite some time.

Those months had MUCH more releases compared to the first year of 360 or PS3.

People need to quit comparing the first full year of the PS4/X1 to the last couple of years of PS3/360

prag16

Banned
Again, I disagree. October and Nov were some of the biggest months in new gaming in quite some time.

Those months had MUCH more releases compared to the first year of 360 or PS3.

People need to quit comparing the first full year of the PS4/X1 to the last couple of years of PS3/360
The death of the mid tier game has been well documented. If you're counting indies and other smaller games, then maybe.

Way off topic now, lol.

Just saw Interstellar. I think, DAT water planet in the movie is a great fucking idea for a tiny NME sidequest. get in the water. find the beacon. kill some shit and enjoy the view.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The death of the mid tier game has been well documented. If you're counting indies and other smaller games, then maybe.

Way off topic now, lol.

What does that have to do with my previous point?

My point was that people need to quit comparing the first full year of the PS4/X1 on the market to the later years of the PS3/360. If you were to compare the amount of game releases for the first full year of the PS3 and 360 you would find that the PS4/X1 is ahead of the game by quite a bit.

prag16

Banned
What does that have to do with my previous point?

My point was that people need to quit comparing the first full year of the PS4/X1 on the market to the later years of the PS3/360. If you were to compare the amount of game releases for the first full year of the PS3 and 360 you would find that the PS4/X1 is ahead of the game by quite a bit.

You seemed to be denying that the amount of big budget games from major publishers is decreasing. Comparing early PS360 to early PS4bone isn't necessarily the smoking gun as you're saying; those previous consoles were bigger leaps and departures from common conventions at their respective times. And you can't deny the overwhelming number of studios that closed last gen. That's all I'm saying. This doesn't need to be the aggressive confrontation you seem to be trying to turn it into (not to mention extremely off topic). Hell, in my last post I AGREED WITH MOST OF WHAT YOU SAID even.

Ralemont

not me
I'm really hoping we get a Batarian squadmate this time. It's one of the races that I think has had their viewpoint underrepresented, and there's some real Canderous Ordo potential there.

Dat view though.... (the only reason I ever go to Pinnacle Station).
yeah!

F1F8FEE971E2303B332A4BA473540F6B89B535DA

E27F85B747827818331901F67B42F8FC63719359

Daemul

One thing I would advise everyone to atleast do once, is to play as femshep and do a Female only playthrough of Mass Effect, killing off the male squadmates as you go. It's actually very easy to do and you don't need to jump through hoops to achieve it, just make one decisions here or there.

I've never had so much fun in my life, the entire playthrough was glorious, it felt like Charlie's Angels in space. The Citadel party was hilarious with James and Javik being the only male squadmates there.

One thing I would advise everyone to atleast do once, is to play as femshep and do a Female only playthrough of Mass Effect, killing off the male squadmates as you go. It's actually very easy to do and you don't need to jump through hoops to achieve it, just make one decisions here or there.

I've never had so much fun in my life, the entire playthrough was glorious, it felt like Charlie's Angels in space. The Citadel party was hilarious with James and Javik being the only male squadmates there.
That's a bit weird, mate.

Daemul

That's a bit weird, mate.

When you've played through the trilogy as much as I have, and pretty much seen everything, even the (well)hidden secret cutscenes and dialogues, you try anything to spice things up. The female only run turned out to be the most fun I've had playing the series.

I'm planning on doing a guy only run at some point. I'm expecting many lulz, and the most epic sausagefest in history.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You seemed to be denying that the amount of big budget games from major publishers is decreasing. Comparing early PS360 to early PS4bone isn't necessarily the smoking gun as you're saying; those previous consoles were bigger leaps and departures from common conventions at their respective times. And you can't deny the overwhelming number of studios that closed last gen. That's all I'm saying. This doesn't need to be the aggressive confrontation you seem to be trying to turn it into (not to mention extremely off topic). Hell, in my last post I AGREED WITH MOST OF WHAT YOU SAID even.
Except that I DONT see the amount of big budget games decreasing.
I mean for gods sake, from sep to nov we had 10 new games that were not remasters. That's right 10 NEW AAA games that were playable on current gen consoles. I am willing to bet that number is comparable to any Sep-Dec timeframe in the last 10 years.

I'm sorry that does not support the notion of "big budget games decreasing". Show me some hard numbers to support this.

prag16

Banned
Except that I DONT see the amount of big budget games decreasing.
I mean for gods sake, from sep to nov we had 10 new games that were not remasters. That's right 10 NEW AAA games that were playable on current gen consoles. I am willing to bet that number is comparable to any Sep-Dec timeframe in the last 10 years.

I'm sorry that does not support the notion of "big budget games decreasing". Show me some hard numbers to support this.
Drop it. We're not even within the same galaxy as the topic at this point.

We need some new leaks/tidbits up in here...

Patryn

So how are the odds that ME will get the same treatment as DA:I? I'd love to see such open areas with quests in planets in ME4.

Possible? We have Bioware on record as saying to Jeff Gerstmann that DA:I is the blueprint for all their future games, but no definition of what they mean by "blueprint."

prag16

Banned
Possible? We have Bioware on record as saying to Jeff Gerstmann that DA:I is the blueprint for all their future games, but no definition of what they mean by "blueprint."

Just hoping they don't take it too far. Wasn't really a huge fan of the MMO style quests, grinding, and busywork that DA:I is full of. It did do a lot of things well though.

Just hoping they don't take it too far. Wasn't really a huge fan of the MMO style quests, grinding, and busywork that DA:I is full of. It did do a lot of things well though.

Yeah, less but more interesting quests would be good. I enjoyed Inquisition but there are too many meaningless side quests.

Yeah, less but more interesting quests would be good. I enjoyed Inquisition but there are too many meaningless side quests.

The amount of pages lying somewhere around and giving you quests was too high imho. And I dont get why they dont use that cutscene-style dialogue camera anymore but just let you stay in the usual 3rd person perspektive when talking to quest givers
But besides that I'm having a lot of fun with DA:I.

I've been seeing this "Mass Effect will be just like DAI" sentiment going around often lately, really felt like posting about it. Like I always start my posts, 'I have it on good authority', that is simply untrue and has no basis, regardless of any "blueprint" comment. The design teams between the new Mass Effect and Dragon Age Inquisition are completely different. Yes, you have crossover when one game is done, but the design teams are separate.

For example, much of the "filler" in DAI was to supplement the game's "Power" dynamic and gaining power for the Inquisition. None of that will be the case for Mass Effect. You'll still do things like mine for minerals for example or things like 'Find all the Matriarch writings', but that's not something new, it's been part of Mass Effect since the first in some form, and it won't work the same either this time around. Some similarities between systems in DAI and Mass Effect will exist, but the gameplay will be completely different. DAI was one region separated by many zones, new ME is something very different.

What I'm trying to say is that I know what many of you feel regarding some of the quest design in DAI. Even though it was my GOTY last year, I feel the same way. With that said from everything I know I'm not worried about ME. Strong narrative plots still very much exist, there's just a boatload of open-ended exploration to along with it. Story intersects with exploration, they go hand in hand. Being PS4, XBO and PC only as opposed to having to accommodate for old gen, they have some major ambitions.

Jeff Gerstmann of Giant Bomb? Or is there one at BioWare as well? I ask because his position might give some insight what the quote meant.

Hahs

I've been seeing this "Mass Effect will be just like DAI" sentiment going around often lately, really felt like posting about it. Like I always start my posts, 'I have it on good authority', that is simply untrue and has no basis, regardless of any "blueprint" comment. The design teams between the new Mass Effect and Dragon Age Inquisition are completely different. Yes, you have crossover when one game is done, but the design teams are separate.

For example, much of the "filler" in DAI was to supplement the game's "Power" dynamic and gaining power for the Inquisition. None of that will be the case for Mass Effect. You'll still do things like mine for minerals for example or things like 'Find all the Matriarch writings', but that's not something new, it's been part of Mass Effect since the first in some form, and it won't work the same either this time around. Some similarities between systems in DAI and Mass Effect will exist, but the gameplay will be completely different. DAI was one region separated by many zones, new ME is something very different.

What I'm trying to say is that I know what many of you feel regarding some of the quest design in DAI. Even though it was my GOTY last year, I feel the same way. With that said from everything I know I'm not worried about ME. Strong narrative plots still very much exist, there's just a boatload of open-ended exploration to along with it. Story intersects with exploration, they go hand in hand. Being PS4, XBO and PC only as opposed to having to accommodate for old gen, they have some major ambitions.

Written with conviction - I love it!

This is what I am looking forward to, although I love DAI it does feel its being held back by having to scale for previous gen.

Patryn

Jeff Gerstmann of Giant Bomb? Or is there one at BioWare as well? I ask because his position might give some insight what the quote meant.

Of Giant Bomb. Bioware was obviously showing DA:I during Judges' Week at E3 this year, and that's what the Bioware reps were telling the judges.

Jeff's mentioned it a few times during Bombcasts, and has seemed to indicate that it was a point of emphasis and not an off-the-cuff statement.

I'm not trying to imply too much when I pull out the "blueprint" comment, which is why I'm not trying to be too definitive. Like I said, that could mean a myriad of things from quest structure, to game systems, to whatever. Jeff certainly hasn't offered any clarification about what the remark meant, if he even did ask for clarification from Bioware.

It sounds as if you know much better than the rest of us what the new Mass Effect will be like, so I'll defer to you. I'm just passing along an anecdote that comes directly from Bioware reps.

AlStrong

You'll still do things like mine for minerals for example or things like 'Find all the Matriarch writings', but that's not something new, it's been part of Mass Effect since the first in some form, and it won't work the same either this time around.

I'm hoping that finding resources or archeological artifacts has a more involved set of side-quests, not just finding them randomly placed in the galaxy.

For example, a side-quest involving securing said resources or artifacts - talk to people, trade, attack, do some other quest for the people who own the mine or artifact.

Or simply find the resource/collectible as a secondary objective during some other quest - player is made fully aware, and it's not easy to miss leading to back-tracking afterwards.

----

I could certainly do without a "gathering/crouching animation" for every time I find something - walk a few steps, crouch/gather, walk a few steps, crouch/gather. Spend the time and resources on the holster animation (missing in ME3) or even weapon switching (missing in DA:I). *cough* :>

I've never bought into the idea that DA:I will be a huge influence on ME4. Mass Effect has always had a very strong identity of its own (even with the drastic changes between ME1 and ME2), whereas every Dragon Age game is essentially a reinvention.

Cynically, that's gonna be the byline going in. "Less is more" quests. But as crunch time hits, I doubt their ability to avoid filling the map with MMO styled DAI quests. Which I think what might have happened with DAI. They were given a year to a year and a half with DA2, they flubbed it. They were given 3.5 years with DAI they still flubbed it. Same with ME3's 2 year turnover, where we get stalker Shepard missions.

Hoping that stuff doesnt happen. Really, really hoping hard.

bndadm

I apologize if I am off target, but need some advice. I have never played Mass Effect 2 or 3, but own them. The DLC is half off right now on 360.

If I am not going to play them anytime soon, should I still take advantage of the sale? This stuff is rather expensive otherwise and I would hate to miss out. This stuff never goes on sale.

Note, I want to play them eventually, but just don't have time now.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I apologize if I am off target, but need some advice. I have never played Mass Effect 2 or 3, but own them. The DLC is half off right now on 360.

If I am not going to play them anytime soon, should I still take advantage of the sale? This stuff is rather expensive otherwise and I would hate to miss out. This stuff never goes on sale.

They're great if you love Mass Effect, but I am tempted to tell you to wait for the all but inevitable box set that will have all 3 games and all 3 DLCs.

However, if you do decide to play it now then yes you should get the DLC. for both games they are great.

Do it! and thanks for the heads up. I had always wanted to play leviathan

My favourite DLCs are Citadel, Leviathan, and From Ashes for ME3, and Lair of the Shadow Broker, Overlord, and Stolen Memories for ME2.

Stolen Memories and From Ashes both give you a new character (as well as a mission), so you would get the most out of those the sooner you have them.

Arrival is pretty meh, but it does bridge the gap to ME3. ME3's opening is pretty jarring without it, but you may be just as well if you watch a YouTube video recap. I think there might be some slight dialogue differences if you import a character that didn't play Arrival.

Also, have you played through ME1? It's never included with ME2/3 in sales, probably because of the different publishers, but the DLC is so cheap for it anyway. Bring Down The Sky is only $1 on XBL.

bndadm

Also, have you played through ME1? It's never included with ME2/3 in sales, probably because of the different publishers, but the DLC is so cheap for it anyway. Bring Down The Sky is only $1 on XBL.

Yes I have fully played 1 and have that DLC. And I want to enjoy all the DLC of 2 and 3, but I would be only buying them now since they are on sale. I probably wont play until end of the year.

I wish I knew how long it was on sale for. I can't tell if its a sale or permanant decrease. If permanant it would speak more to an HD collection I would think.

Decisions, decisions.

Yes I have fully played 1 and have that DLC. And I want to enjoy all the DLC of 2 and 3, but I would be only buying them now since they are on sale. I probably wont play until end of the year.

I wish I knew how long it was on sale for. I can't tell if its a sale or permanant decrease. If permanant it would speak more to an HD collection I would think.

Decisions, decisions.

Don't play Mass Effect 3 without From Ashes. Is the kind of DLC that reaps it's benefits towards the whole game. I only bought the DLC after replaying the game like 8 times, but it was a difference experience after it.

You'll have to excuse JohnnyFootball's visceral reaction. He has all his eggs in the "PS4bone remaster" basket and has been shouting down everyone who thinks it won't happen, or thinks it isn't necessary.

I kid, partially. But he REALLY wants the remaster. I do agree with him in that the idea that a remaster shits on the legacy of the series as a gen 7 institution is a silly one. That said, gen 8 DOES continue to feel like gen 7 with a new coat of paint (cross gen, remasters, other games that don't really do anything new/interesting other than slightly better graphics). Hopefully that changes in the next few years.
I see. It's fine if he and I don't agree but there's no need to personally attack me for it.

But again, I am all for a remaster as well but to me it does somewhat ruin what it left last generation. I'm not saying it'd be the worst thing ever; I want it.
However, arguments such as "rehash generation" or "generation of remasters" are pretty ignorant stupid arguments. I would give this argument some validity if we ever reach a quarter where we get more remasters than we do new games.
No, it's not ignorant and stupid just because you don't agree with it. That's just you insulting people who don't share your opinion.

And I do want a ME trilogy remaster. I really really do. So don't get me wrong, I won't throw a fit if they announce it (I'm gonna rejoice).

Aaryn

BioWare GM
Of Giant Bomb. Bioware was obviously showing DA:I during Judges' Week at E3 this year, and that's what the Bioware reps were telling the judges.

Jeff's mentioned it a few times during Bombcasts, and has seemed to indicate that it was a point of emphasis and not an off-the-cuff statement.

I'm not trying to imply too much when I pull out the "blueprint" comment, which is why I'm not trying to be too definitive. Like I said, that could mean a myriad of things from quest structure, to game systems, to whatever. Jeff certainly hasn't offered any clarification about what the remark meant, if he even did ask for clarification from Bioware.

It sounds as if you know much better than the rest of us what the new Mass Effect will be like, so I'll defer to you. I'm just passing along an anecdote that comes directly from Bioware reps.

I've seen a few thoughts like this recently, and thought I'd weigh in as much as I can right now. I have a good idea where it's coming from. All of our games are using Frostbite now. We've said the next Mass Effect (and our new IP, but I won't expand on that yet) uses some of the technology from DAI. We've been enjoying building larger areas that you can explore with less friction, so that'll be there as well.

But after that, the next Mass Effect will be (and should be) drawing on its own rich and successful past more than what DAI would say it should do. Take the Mako, something we've already shown in prototype form. We had that in ME1, and bringing it back is more related to a feeling that we can do it much better than we did before and fulfill the original promise of that gameplay. That has nothing to do with DAI. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that dropping the older consoles has had more impact on the overall gameplay goals of the next Mass Effect game than what DAI successfully accomplished.

We're very proud of what DAI has achieved, but that does not set a "template" for what every other game we make needs to be. Each game franchise needs to innovate and improve their experience based on what's best for it, not just what another game had success with because "well that was successful".

Hope that helps!

SliChillax

I've seen a few thoughts like this recently, and thought I'd weigh in as much as I can right now. I have a good idea where it's coming from. All of our games are using Frostbite now. We've said the next Mass Effect (and our new IP, but I won't expand on that yet) uses some of the technology from DAI. We've been enjoying building larger areas that you can explore with less friction, so that'll be there as well.

But after that, the next Mass Effect will be (and should be) drawing on its own rich and successful past more than what DAI would say it should do. Take the Mako, something we've already shown in prototype form. We had that in ME1, and bringing it back is more related to a feeling that we can do it much better than we did before and fulfill the original promise of that gameplay. That has nothing to do with DAI. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that dropping the older consoles has had more impact on the overall gameplay goals of the next Mass Effect game than what DAI successfully accomplished.

We're very proud of what DAI has achieved, but that does not set a "template" for what every other game we make needs to be. Each game franchise needs to innovate and improve their experience based on what's best for it, not just what another game had success with because "well that was successful".

Hope that helps!

How far are we from an actual reveal? Or just the announcement of what it's going to be called.

Lone Wolf

Hope that helps!

Great explanation, but just makes me that much more impatient. With that said, I hope you guys take all the time you need.

X-Frame

Hope that helps!

This is awesome to hear. Thanks for stopping by!

Mindlog

Trying not to get hyped...
Hard to do when your initial optimistic interpretation of a statement turns out to be on the right path.

Hope that helps!

As much as I'm loving Dragon Age Inquisition, this is great news for the next Mass Effect!

Hope that helps!
Thanks for chiming in Aaryn. Mass Effect has such a strong identity, it's good to see that continue rather than Inquisition being a "template", regardless of how fantastic that game was of course ;)

Make Mass Effect Next all about exploration and go back to the aesthetics of the first game and I will be a happy man.

If you could tell me all the pluses in the first game that the second took away that would be nice. I got to play Me1 only once since it took forever to land on Ps3.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
No, it's not ignorant and stupid just because you don't agree with it. That's just you insulting people who don't share your opinion.

It is ignorant if it's not based on fact.

The "rehash" "remaster" generation only holds water if we had anywhere close to the number of remasters as we do completely new games.

Right now the number of new games completely dominates the number of re-released games.

I'm sorry. That's just how it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom