• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pablito

I think it is less about hating the band and more about hating some of the overzealous "fans" that will hijack any conversation about metal and inject some garbage about Opeth being better than whatever band happens to be the subject of the conversation.

I haven't seen it much here, but it is similar to how Radiohead fans will hijack any conversation about rock/pop music with the same crap.

There is nothing wrong with Opeth, or most of their fans, but there is definitely something wrong with a small minority of Opeth fans that makes many people hate the band and the rest of the sane Opeth fans just on principle.

The conversation normally goes something like this:

person 1: Hey man, have you heard the new Immortal album?
person 2: Hell yeah, I loved it. It's probably my favourite album of the year.
person 1: Yeah, I love it too.
Opeth fan: Excuse me, I heard you talking about the new Immortal album. It's ok, but Opeth are better.
person 2: Dude, we're not talking about Opeth...
Opeth fan: Yeah, but Opeth are better
person 1: They are not even in the same sub-genre man
Opeth fan: Yeah, but if Opeth were in the same sub-genre, they would make Immortal their bitch. They are such better musicians and Mikael Akerfeldt is a much better songwriter
person 1 and person 2: Look mate, fuck off, Opeth are shit, we hate them.
Opeth fan: You just don't get Opeth, they are too complicated for your tastes
person 1 and person 2 proceed to beat the living shit out of the Opeth fan and vow to never listen to anything Opeth ever release ever again

i guess i'm lucky to have known not-annoying opeth fans, because i haven't seen any act this way. i've seen some declare them best band ever, and then someone trolls the opinion, and they troll back. but never inject opeth into a conversation they had nothing to do with, and then get all annoying like that.

FYC

Banned
Huh. Same goes for some Tool fans.

Faux said:
Fuck you. I have better taste in music than you.

I love bands like Tool, A perfect circle, Karnvool, etc.

Bands who have a better appreciation of music.

Nirvana could make a song with 3 chords! Fuck! thats not éven music!!!!

I like both Tool and Opeth, but yeah.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
It's funny this has come up, because I think this is probably one of the most civil threads on the whole of GAF. There is very, very little element in here that puts down other's music or starts trolling arguments for no good reason other than to expound upon how awesome their favorite band is.

It's perfectly fine to chest-bump about how great Opeth is (or in my case, Sleep hehe) and it's fine to say you don't like them and whatnot, we have that a lot in this thread, but for some reason people seem to remain fairly civil in here.

Just thought I'd give you all a virtual high-five over that :)

i don't dislike Opeth but i find them... rather boring, to be honest. not the type of music i hate, simply the type of music i don't listen.

lets all just agree Spiral Architect is the most obnoxiously awesome band ever.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
It's funny this has come up, because I think this is probably one of the most civil threads on the whole of GAF. There is very, very little element in here that puts down other's music or starts trolling arguments for no good reason other than to expound upon how awesome their favorite band is.

It's perfectly fine to chest-bump about how great Opeth is (or in my case, Sleep hehe) and it's fine to say you don't like them and whatnot, we have that a lot in this thread, but for some reason people seem to remain fairly civil in here.

Yeah, it good thing we don't have the shitty, gif-slinging, diva mentality our counterparts over in PopGAF lay such a heavy claim and practice into.

Milchjon

I listen to much less metal these days, but Hanneman's death made me go back and listen to my favorite Slayer songs again.

Still so good. And although I usually listen to softer stuff these days, I can't believe there was a time when I thought Slayer was too "heavy" and "weird". All the stuff I really like is still only really hard pop in the end :-D

I think South of Heaven is my favorite album of theirs. The title track, Spill the Blood and Live Undead are incredible. Such awesome riffs still. The riff during Spill the Bloods verses is just pure fun to listen to.

As for my favorite single song, I must admit that I absolutely love Disciple. Throughout all the years of moving away from metal, this song (along with all of Pantera's and Metallica's stuff, the Painkiller album, some In Flames songs and a lot of Tool) never left me. It always gets me hyped up.

Aw man, I love metal.

Edit: Hey, PopGAF is fun. Just... different.

haha man, I wish they'd make another album. It was a love/hate thing for me when I got "A Sceptic's Universe", largely because of the vocals. The drumming and bass playing is pretty awesome on that album, but those fucking vocals haha. Learned to appreciate the vocals over time though as it made sense for that band.

Duji

i don't dislike Opeth but i find them... rather boring, to be honest. not the type of music i hate, simply the type of music i don't listen.

Idk how anyone can find a song like Ghost of Perdition boring but to each their own.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Excellent CD. I've always been a fan of all their releases, but people who haven't enjoyed them since A Celebration of Guilt should check it out because it's a return to that sound.

So far nothing resembles CoF other than one song; no one lies to the dead. Everything is still shit thus far. keep dreaming tho

Greg

So far nothing resembles CoF other than one song; no one lies to the dead. Everything is still shit thus far. keep dreaming tho
I didn't say it was as good, but stylistically it's the closest they've been to that sound since their debut.

The remake of The Face of My Innocence is a complete tease though.

FYC

Banned

True, but let's put it to the test

(jokes jokes this place coo')

You're crazy. I didn't see the performance in question, but they put on great live shows. Puciato is one of the best live vocalists because his energy is on another level.

I can understand if you just aren't a fan of that style of music, but that doesn't make them awful.

I'm sure its just wasn't my cup of tea. I guess for my tastes they are quite bad. But then again, that type of metal doesn't tickle my fancy.

That is what metal is all about IMO.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Thanks for this. Holy shit this is some great stuff.

No prob, bob! If you like them, you would probably really dig intervals: http://intervalsmusic.bandcamp.com/

267258133-1.jpg

Easily one of my favorite releases of recent years.

Seanspeed

Banned
That is what metal is all about IMO.
I find the metal community to be one of the most elitist, insufferable communities around. This thread isn't too bad now, but it has been in the past. To the point where people recommended that metalcore fans create their own thread cuz its not proper metal.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I find the metal community to be one of the most elitist, insufferable communities around. This thread isn't too bad now, but it has been in the past. To the point where people recommended that metalcore fans create their own thread cuz its not proper metal.

We seem to have weeded that out, by and large because people don't rise to trolling too quickly around here. I, for one, recognize that others have metal tastes that don't coincide with mine, and I've honestly branched out of late. I used to not be able to enjoy the growling, Cookie Monster-esque vocals in metal, and instead preferred to focus on the music, but of late I've started to enjoy bands like Pig Destroyer, Nails, and their ilk.

I still don't like bands like Hatebreed and the like, but I'm a fan of Killswitch for the most part, and certainly don't look down upon those that like that more mainstream flavor.

It's all good.

Flynn

Well don't expect miracles.

Seanspeed

Banned
that more mainstream flavor.
Thats exactly why the metal community will forever remain elitist. Its just its own brand of hipster mentality where there's 'cool' things to like and 'lame' things to like.

Instead of just seeing it as a different style of metal, you see it as mainstream vs non-mainstream thing.

rObit

Banned

Yeah, I remember going into the punk thread to try to talk about metalcore for a bit there, but I think the mood has changed since then. It's not like anyone came out with the torches and pitchforks when a few of us were stoked on the new Killswitch album recently. At the worst it just gets ignored, which I'm fine with if there's no interest.

Plus I have metal-GAF to thank for finding out about Insomnium, Gru, Persefone, and probably others that I can't currently recall. So I'd say its worth it.

Instead of just seeing it as a different style of metal, you see it as mainstream vs non-mainstream thing.

Sure, but there's some validity to that. Mainstream is popular because it is accessible, and a lot of people like metal specifically for its obtuseness, if you will. It's a shorthand that can be used condescendingly, but doesn't have to be condescending in nature.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Thats exactly why the metal community will forever remain elitist. Its just its own brand of hipster mentality where there's 'cool' things to like and 'lame' things to like.

I don't think this 'mentality' is solely a metal phenomenon. At least from a bit of an outsider's perspective, I can see this popping up in R&B, hip-hop/rap, and EDM communities. Is it perhaps more invasive in the metal scene? Perhaps; metal has a bit of a long-standing tradition of "never being in-fashion, but never being out-of-fashion," finding a place being outsiders, and having a preference for ignoring the music industry (for the most part), so difficulties adjusting to more openly appealing or "mainstream" on the metal communities part is understandable, imo.

That said, I think you can refer to certain acts as more or less "mainstream" metal without the negative connotations.

Seanspeed

Banned
Yeah, I remember going into the punk thread to try to talk about metalcore for a bit there, but I think the mood has changed since then. It's not like anyone came out with the torches and pitchforks when a few of us were stoked on the new Killswitch album recently. At the worst it just gets ignored, which I'm fine with if there's no interest.

Plus I have metal-GAF to thank for finding out about Insomnium, Gru, Persefone, and probably others that I can't currently recall. So I'd say its worth it.
Yea, I definitely like checking this thread out for the occasional recommendation I might like. I just dont feel entirely comfortable sharing my opinion that much except with certain bands that I know aren't 'shunned' in here. And like I said, it is better here now. But before it wasn't. Before, I wouldn't have been surprised if us talking about the new Killswitch got all sorts of sneers and condescending comments.

Sure, but there's some validity to that. Mainstream is popular because it is accessible, and a lot of people like metal specifically for its obtuseness, if you will. It's a shorthand that can be used condescendingly, but doesn't have to be condescending in nature.
I dont know. For example, I think that melo-death is just as formulaic and accessible as metalcore, but it seems to be a more 'acceptable' genre to like for some reason.

Metalcore is largely the 'hate it because its popular' sort of thing that happens in all sorts of media. I definitely dont know how As I Lay Dying is more 'accessible' than Megadeth or anything, ya know?

And sure, lots of people like more complex arrangements and whatnot. Thats fine. But when that leads to looking down on things that *aren't* as complex, it creates a realm of elitism that tends to permeate. Liking Darkest Hour is basically like enjoying Nickelback or something.

I dont know. I'm glad this thread is pretty laid back nowadays dont get me wrong. I just haven't forgotten what it was like and I'm under no impression that metal fans in general still aren't a bunch of elitist mo fo's.

EDIT: My bad for bringing all this up. Anyways, here's what I'm listening to at the moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI5WLpDrNoI

Great band from a while back that sadly never really got any recognition. Loved the way their two guitarists intertwined lines.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Yea, I definitely like checking this thread out for the occasional recommendation I might like. I just dont feel entirely comfortable sharing my opinion that much except with certain bands that I know aren't 'shunned' in here. And like I said, it is better here now. But before it wasn't. Before, I wouldn't have been surprised if us talking about the new Killswitch got all sorts of sneers and condescending comments.

I dont know. For example, I think that melo-death is just as formulaic and accessible as metalcore, but it seems to be a more 'acceptable' genre to like for some reason.

Metalcore is largely the 'hate it because its popular' sort of thing that happens in all sorts of media. I definitely dont know how As I Lay Dying is more 'accessible' than Megadeth or anything, ya know?

And sure, lots of people like more complex arrangements and whatnot. Thats fine. But when that leads to looking down on things that *aren't* as complex, it creates a realm of elitism that tends to permeate. Liking Darkest Hour is basically like enjoying Nickelback or something.

I dont know. I'm glad this thread is pretty laid back nowadays dont get me wrong. I just haven't forgotten what it was like and I'm under no impression that metal fans in general still aren't a bunch of elitist mo fo's.

They're definitely a different flavor of metalcore than the one the that caused "more accessible" moniker, that being bands that were, more or less, metal meets pop punk.

Seanspeed

Banned
They're definitely a different flavor of metalcore than the one the that caused "more accessible" moniker, that being bands that were, more or less, metal meets pop punk.
As I Lay Dying couldn't be more of a prototypical metalcore band.

And I have no idea what you're talking about with the 'pop punk' stuff. You might have to give some examples there, cuz I cant think of any.

rObit

Banned

EDIT: My bad for bringing all this up. Anyways, here's what I'm listening to at the moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI5WLpDrNoI

Great band from a while back that sadly never really got any recognition. Loved the way their two guitarists intertwined lines.

Several good points in there. At least it's mostly good now. To move on from that, and since you brought up AILD, best album from them? My vote goes to Shadows are Security. I've probably listened to Through Struggle more than any other metal song. Never gets old.

Also been listening to Himsa a bit lately after meeting and talking to their front man John Pettibone. He works at El Corazon in Seattle so I got to talk to him for a good bit while waiting for a show. Seemed like a cool dude.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Metal is so disjointed and filled with so many genres with a hundred new bands popping up each day that trying to determine what's "metal" and what isn't is just silly. Now, that doesn't mean that you have to like everything, but trying to be elitist about it is just a futile battle.

Listen to what you want. I love Rust In Peace, but I think the new As I Lay Dying album is pretty damn good. Critique, but don't dismiss.

Seanspeed

Banned
Several good points in there. At least it's mostly good now. To move on from that, and since you brought up AILD, best album from them? My vote goes to Shadows are Security. I've probably listened to Through Struggle more than any other metal song. Never gets old.
Shadows Are Security used to be my favorite. Its still great. I've had my guitar in Drop C for a while now and I play a lot from this album for fun. Pretty much every song is good.

But I really love their newest album, Awakened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xet-VUEipcA

Its hard to say they aren't still a bit repetitive, but I feel like they go out of their way to put more character into different songs now.

Also been listening to Himsa a bit lately after meeting and talking to their front man John Pettibone. He works at El Corazon in Seattle so I got to talk to him for a good bit while waiting for a show. Seemed like a cool dude.
Thats pretty sweet. I honestly never listened to them much after Courting Tragedy and Disaster(which was totally different than their older stuff). But I loved that album. One of my best concert experiences was seeing them at the Norva here and the singer noticed I was pretty much the only person singing along and handed down the mic and I basically got to belt out the last minute or so of 'A Girl in Glass' solo.

I'll have to check out some of their other stuff. Looks like they broke up? That sucks.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
As I Lay Dying couldn't be more of a prototypical metalcore band.

And I have no idea what you're talking about with the 'pop punk' stuff. You might have to give some examples there, cuz I cant think of any.

I guess I'm talking about the Attack Attack!/A Day to Remember/Emery/Asking Alexandria/Like Moths to Flames-styled stuff. I guess less the stuff close to the post-hardcore sound than the less "pop-y" and more hardcore/metal style of AILD or Zao or Shai Hulud (if that makes sense). There's more emphasis on catchy clean choruses, simplier composistions (not always though), similar lyrical content & style as pop punk bands, etc. They'll all technically 'metalcore' but decidedly are from different veins stylistically

rObit

Banned
Shadows Are Security used to be my favorite. Its still great. I've had my guitar in Drop C for a while now and I play a lot from this album for fun. Pretty much every song is good.

But I really love their newest album, Awakened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xet-VUEipcA

Its hard to say they aren't still a bit repetitive, but I feel like they go out of their way to put more character into different songs now.

Thats pretty sweet. I honestly never listened to them much after Courting Tragedy and Disaster(which was totally different than their older stuff). But I loved that album. One of my best concert experiences was seeing them at the Norva here and the singer noticed I was pretty much the only person singing along and handed down the mic and I basically got to belt out the last minute or so of 'A Girl in Glass' solo.

I'll have to check out some of their other stuff. Looks like they broke up? That sucks.

Nice dude, I just got into them recently so I'll have to dig through some of their older stuff. Yeah though I guess they broke up, I think Pettibone got a family and didn't want to tour anymore. He's crazy into paranormal stuff though, was telling me about which venues in Seattle are haunted and which ones aren't.

And yeah, Awakened is a really solid album. I gotta spend more time listening to it before I can decide if its up there with Shadows, though.

BTW, Oonsk, nice Ryan Clark avatar.

Thanks, man. Been thinking about changing it to Don, seems like Demon Hunter hasn't been the same without him.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Nice dude, I just got into them recently so I'll have to dig through some of their older stuff. Yeah though I guess they broke up, I think Pettibone got a family and didn't want to tour anymore. He's crazy into paranormal stuff though, was telling me about which venues in Seattle are haunted and which ones aren't.

And yeah, Awakened is a really solid album. I gotta spend more time listening to it before I can decide if its up there with Shadows, though.

Thanks, man. Been thinking about changing it to Don, seems like Demon Hunter hasn't been the same without him.

I was about to comment on that too, DH are sick but yeah the last few just haven't had the same spark. Are you familiar with Ryan and Don's old work in Training for Utopia and Ryan's in Focal Point?

rObit

Banned
I was about to comment on that too, DH are sick but yeah the last few just haven't had the same spark. Are you familiar with Ryan and Don's old work in Training for Utopia and Ryan's in Focal Point?

I've listened to some Training for Utopia, haven't heard any Focal Point, though. It's been awhile and I don't even remember what TfU sounds like, I'll have take a listen.

I kind of agree. But enjoyed watching them live the two times I've had the chance a lot.

Kaladin

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So elitism = people hating bands you like? The horror.

I like some Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir albums. COME AT ME BRAH

Metalcore is largely the 'hate it because its popular' sort of thing
lol, no. You keep telling yourself that, I guess.

Wot. And here I was under the impression that the typical "metal elitist" despised "complex" wanky/proggy shit and preferred the raw simple stuff like Venom or Darkthrone. Now I'm confused.

Btw: are you suggesting there's something wrong with enjoying Nickelback? What are you, some kind of elitist? :D

Metal is so disjointed and filled with so many genres with a hundred new bands popping up each day that trying to determine what's "metal" and what isn't is just silly.
I agree. Let's call everything with a bit of distorted guitars in it metal. That won't cause confusion or dilute the genres so much as to make them pointless at all. ;)

Now, that doesn't mean that you have to like everything, but trying to be elitist about it is just a futile battle.
I don't understand what "elitist" means in this sentence. Saying something isn't metal is elitist? Saying you hate a band is elitist? Saying "it sucks and it isn't metal"? Saying "it sucks because it isn't metal"?

Listen to what you want.
Oh, okay. Thanks for the tip. ;)

Anyone got some good metal recommendations on Bandcamp? Here's a few I found recently;

Witch Mountain, female-fronted traditional dooooooom

Half Gramme of Soma, nice psychedelic stoner

Black Moth Cult, fuzzy, heavy desert rock

Nice, Cauldron of the Wild was one of my favorite albums of last year, I'll check out those other two for sure.

Here are a couple band camp releases I discovered recently:

Ancient VVisdom: Deathlike
Hard to describe, it's almost like gothic folk music but it's still unmistakably metal--it's really good whatever it is

Mutilation Rites: Empyrean
Fantastic, bombastic black metal.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Nice, Cauldron of the Wild was one of my favorite albums of last year, I'll check out those other two for sure.

Here are a couple band camp releases I discovered recently:

Ancient VVisdom: Deathlike
Hard to describe, it's almost like gothic folk music but it's still unmistakably metal--it's really good whatever it is

Mutilation Rites: Empyrean
Fantastic, bombastic black metal.
Deathlike is album of the year IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom