• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
So elitism = people hating bands you like? The horror.

I like some Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir albums. COME AT ME BRAH

lol, no. You keep telling yourself that, I guess.

Wot. And here I was under the impression that the typical "metal elitist" despised "complex" wanky/proggy shit and preferred the raw simple stuff like Venom or Darkthrone. Now I'm confused.

Btw: are you suggesting there's something wrong with enjoying Nickelback? What are you, some kind of elitist? :D

I agree. Let's call everything with a bit of distorted guitars in it metal. That won't cause confusion or dilute the genres so much as to make them pointless at all. ;)

I don't understand what "elitist" means in this sentence. Saying something isn't metal is elitist? Saying you hate a band is elitist? Saying "it sucks and it isn't metal"? Saying "it sucks because it isn't metal"?

Oh, okay. Thanks for the tip. ;)
Disliking something doesn't make you elitist, but trying to dismiss it as "non-metal" is just futile. What's metal anyway? I've listened to absolutely minimalist stuff being called metal, and I've listened to riveting guitars and drums, and have it called metal. There are so many genres, with so many styles, it's just too hard to tell.

Nice, Cauldron of the Wild was one of my favorite albums of last year, I'll check out those other two for sure.

Here are a couple band camp releases I discovered recently:

Ancient VVisdom: Deathlike
Hard to describe, it's almost like gothic folk music but it's still unmistakably metal--it's really good whatever it is

Mutilation Rites: Empyrean
Fantastic, bombastic black metal.

Awesome, thanks for the links, I really like Mutilation Rites, but I think the other one will take a couple more listens to see if it sticks.

FYC

Banned
I've listened to some Training for Utopia, haven't heard any Focal Point, though. It's been awhile and I don't even remember what TfU sounds like, I'll have take a listen.

Plastic Soul Impalement by TFU is amazing.

Also picked up my first Mercyful Fate(Melissa) and Strapping Young Lad(City) recently. Gonna play some Quake and jam to 'em.

Anyone got some good metal recommendations on Bandcamp? Here's a few I found recently;

Witch Mountain, female-fronted traditional dooooooom
I totally rediscovered them a few days ago and bought "Cauldron of the Wild". It's a cool mix! I like her warm voice over the ultra heavy doom...and the fact that Uta isn't one of the mystical diva type of frontwoman.

130504_06_zpse3ee2610.png

130504_01_zps40b34d47.png

130504_02_zps650cdf2a.png

130504_03_zps1e6cd56a.png

130504_09_zps5ee1d60d.png

130504_04_zps181a64c2.png

130504_05_zps15c4514a.png

130504_07_zps3832d5b1.png

130504_08_zpscc58059d.png

do you like what you see???

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Disliking something doesn't make you elitist, but trying to dismiss it as "non-metal" is just futile.
Saying something isn't metal isn't necessarily "dismissing" it. I like plenty of non-metal stuff.
What's metal anyway? I've listened to absolutely minimalist stuff being called metal, and I've listened to riveting guitars and drums, and have it called metal. There are so many genres, with so many styles, it's just too hard to tell.
No, it's really not. You just need ears and some experience. Some bands might be borderline or very hybridized but after listening to metal for 20 years I have no problem telling its styles apart.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Saying something isn't metal isn't necessarily "dismissing" it. I like plenty of non-metal stuff.

No, it's really not. You just need ears and some experience. Some bands might be borderline or very hybridized but after listening to metal for 20 years I have no problem telling its styles apart.
You can tell the differing styles apart, but declaring metalcore to not be metal? How? My point is simple. What makes it "non-metal?"

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You can tell the differing styles apart, but declaring metalcore to not be metal? How? My point is simple. What makes it "non-metal?"
As with many hybridized genres, some metalcore is metal, some isn't. If the music is predominantly defined by breakdowns, noodling and chugging, it's something different than if it's predominantly full of death (or melodic death) or thrash metal riffs.

Another example is grindcore. A lot of grindcore is pretty much straight out brutal death metal with some minimal grindy punk influence. Then you have noisegrind, which is riffless chaos, or pure grind predominantly based in punk rather than death metal. Nobody (with working ears anyway) considers Anal Cunt metal, but obviously they are very different from an actual metal band like Brutal Truth or Misery Index.

(And I don't say this because I hate Anal Cunt... which I do, but I also hate Brutal Truth xD)

Holy shit, this thread has been on fire for the last few days. Sad I wasn't on the internet much to comment on some of this stuff.

First off, Jeff Hanneman's death. Sucks, man. I remember buying Reign in Blood when I was in Junior High I believe. Album scared the fucking shit out of me back then. So awesome. RIB, brother.

Sad I missed out on MetalGAF's favorite albums poll. I'm gonna do my list anyways, because I'm a sucker for anything list involved when it comes to Metal. One album per band, because some bands I would list wayyy too many.

Blind Guardian - Imaginations From the Other Side
Manowar - Kings of Metal
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Sonata Arctica - Reckoning Night
Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind
Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
Running Wild - Death or Glory
Moonsorrow - Kivenkantaja
Korpiklaani - Manala
Tyr - By The Light of the Northern Star
Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings
Lost Horizon - Awakening the World
Kamelot - The Black Halo
Helloween - Better Than Raw
Rhapsody - Legendary Tales
Angra - Temple of Shadows
Falconer - S/T
Dio - Holy Diver
Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
Dream Theater - Images and Words
Soilwork - Natural Born Chaos
Riot - Thundersteel
Hibria - Defying the Rules
Nightwish - Oceanborn
Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God
Edguy - Hellfire Club
Avantasia - The Wicked Symphony
Alestorm - Back Through Time
Dalriada - Igeret
Ensiferum - S/T
While Heaven Wept - Vast Oceans Lachrymose
Gamma Ray - Land of the Free
Delain - April Rain
Elvenking - Heathenreel
Demons & Wizards - S/T
Cain's Offering - S/T
Stratovarius - Nemesis

Good enough, could go on forever. Horns up, MetalGAF!

Holy shit what a nice collection MezzoForte!!

thank you!

Holy shit! All that Helmkamp worship. I think I've seen you post similar stuff before.

Where did you get that Timeghoul cassette? I've been looking for their stuff for a while and only have a rip. Classic death metal gem right there.

yeah haha last time I remember posting pictures I think it was a bunch of shirts. There was probably an OfC shirt somewhere in there. Indeed, Helmkamp and post-OfC bands in general are great!

the Timeghoul mc I bought through eBay in early '11. I know you always run the risk of dealing with bootleggers but the guy seemed to have a solid reputation and the tape looks very authentic. I've seen it again on eBay maybe one more time after that. Really looking hard for their follow up cassette. Dark Descent Records very, very recently put out the compilation of all their material including unreleased stuff on vinyl so you should jump on it!

edit:

actually my bad it was The Crypt that released the vinyl version. Dark Descent handled the CD.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Saw Boris and Doomriders tonight.

Doomriders were good as always. They played mostly stuff from Darkness Come Alive, but also did a few new songs that, well, sounded like Doomriders (and that's exactly what I was hoping for). The new album is called Grand Blood and comes out 7/23 on Deathwish.

Boris played an interesting set, to say the least. I wasn't sure what to expect when the show was promoted as them playing Flood, because most of that album probably wouldn't translate well live. Well, they just played the heavy part in the middle, and it was fucking awesome. They also played Huge (yes), Attention Please, their cover of MBV's Sometimes, and a few other songs that I can't recall. Pretty good set.

I couldn't go to their show last night since I had a party to go to, but I'm kicking myself after hearing about what they played. :(

Flynn

Doomriders were good as always. They played mostly stuff from Darkness Come Alive, but also did a few new songs that, well, sounded like Doomriders (and that's exactly what I was hoping for). The new album is called Grand Blood and comes out 7/23 on Deathwish.

Boris played an interesting set, to say the least. I wasn't sure what to expect when the show was promoted as them playing Flood, because most of that album probably wouldn't translate well live. Well, they just played the heavy part in the middle, and it was fucking awesome. They also played Huge (yes), Attention Please, their cover of MBV's Sometimes, and a few other songs that I can't recall. Pretty good set.

I couldn't go to their show last night since I had a party to go to, but I'm kicking myself after hearing about what they played. :(

Awesome. I caught Doomriders with Skeletonwitch way back when -- am glad they've got new material coming so soon. "Heart of a Lion" has gained anthem status for me.

The Boris set sounds like a rad change of pace.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I really dont understand how you came to that conclusion. From your comments, it seems like you're purposefully trying to misrepresent my words as much as possible. Why? :/
I'm not. I'm honestly taking things at face value. You bitched about elitism, then described how people sneered when you talked about liking certain bands, which makes you now uncomfortable in doing so.

Still don't get what this so-called elitism is supposed to be. Seems everyone's got a different meaning anyway.

What did Boris play from the other night? I just bought my tix to the show in SF that's NOT the Flood set. I'm hoping for the more slow/sludgey/doomy songs rather than the garage-ish ones.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm not. I'm honestly taking things at face value. You bitched about elitism, then described how people sneered when you talked about liking certain bands, which makes you now uncomfortable in doing so.

Still don't get what this so-called elitism is supposed to be. Seems everyone's got a different meaning anyway.

You're taking things at 'how I decided to interpret these comments' value.

The overdefensiveness speaks volumes, anyways.

Seanspeed

Banned
Evasion noted.

I dont know how to make it more clear. I'm not trying to keep bringing it up, but before, it was very popular to shit on metalcore here. To the point that people said we should create our own thread about it because it wasn't real metal. Which we did, and it was quickly invaded by people who again shitted on it and insisted it wasn't real metal.

Things are different now and thats great so I'm not trying to bitch anymore, but if you're going to continue to act like everything was hunky-dory and I'm just exercising some persecution complex, you're wrong.

They played Huge? Haha oh wow, Sydney show cannot come soon enough.
I'm with Giant Robot, much more of a fan of the sludge/doomy side than the garage rock side of Boris.

Anyone seen Saint Vitus live lately? How do they hold up?

Kaladin

I'm going up to north TN for a job interview this Wed and Goatwhore and Three Inches of Blood are playing Nashville that night which would be about an hour away from me. That sounds like a fun way to blow off some steam.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
What did Boris play from the other night? I just bought my tix to the show in SF that's NOT the Flood set. I'm hoping for the more slow/sludgey/doomy songs rather than the garage-ish ones.
According to setlist.fm:

Cosmos
Rainbow
Pink
Vanilla
Statement
Angel
Heavy Friends
Hama
Dyna-Soar
Farewell

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Not to be an elitist douchebag..but i just cant seem to 'get' dillinger escape plan. Its not working. I mean i really like all generas they draw from but aside from a handful of songs i honestly cant listen to this band, and im a pretty patient listener.

Ravager61

Not to be an elitist douchebag..but i just cant seem to 'get' dillinger escape plan. Its not working. I mean i really like all generas they draw from but aside from a handful of songs i honestly cant listen to this band, and im a pretty patient listener.

Not liking a band doesn't make you an elitist douchebag at all.

They aren't my favorite either, aside from a few songs that I like. I can understand their appeal to others though. They just don't suit my tastes much.

Gr1m, you like pantera. You're anything but elitist.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Not liking a band doesn't make you an elitist douchebag at all.

They aren't my favorite either, aside from a few songs that I like. I can understand their appeal to others though. They just don't suit my tastes much.

Theyre talented musicians for sure. Its hard to get me to not like a band just because i like so many different things. They get very technical which i do appreciate but their compositions are so busy. Not for me I guess.

*edit* friend zombie I love pantera.

Greg

They don't write too many songs with something to grasp on to, so it's understandable. They translate much better into a live setting because so much of the energy those kinds of bands revolve around are lost on a recording.

Although as much as I appreciate the chaos, I've always enjoyed them more when they balance it by taking things down a notch (1st half vs. 2nd half):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzLaxe984g

vatstep

You're about 15 years late anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom