• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outlaw

Banned
I don't really like Sonata Arctica....I saw them in Concert with After Forever and After Forever was so much better. Floor Jansen is amazing.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Outlaw said:
I don't really like Sonata Arctica....I saw them in Concert with After Forever and After Forever was so much better. Floor Jansen is amazing.

Yeah, I never really liked them either, even when I was big on power metal. I'd rather listen to some Stratovarius for some flower metal.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Phobophile said:
Last time I checked they were.

Would quicksilver be a fast metal?

dr_evil.jpg

*laughs* Your edit through me off after I hit quote!

Seriously though, they are not, they have ALWAYS denied power metal, hell everything that makes power metal... well power metal they have destroyed

When called power metal they retort with "well then we are like the worst power metal band in the world"

Just because it has SOME similar conventions (see: lots of synth and double kicks'a'blazin) does not mean that they are another power metal band.

Metal has become broken up into so many variations over the years I simply go by what each artist likes to be called, I like the easy listening with good singers type metal...

Seriously guys, either way its just a freaking genre >.<

I wonder what would happen if I also added I think MCR is perhaps the greatest touring band in North America now? I think that would make me become the most shunned person in OT...

Don't be snobs! Its music, I listed it how I freaking wanted to :lol

Ravager61

Im glad there is finally another one of these. The last time I made one it didnt last too long.

Im currently listening to these:

At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours
146.jpg

Such an amazing album.

Destroyer 666 - Cold Steel... For an Iron Age
f37225pvo5g.jpg

Just got into this band. Terrific mix of black metal and thrash.

Skeletonwitch - Beyond the Permafrost
170513.jpg

Awesome album. Kind of a combination of Thrash, Black Metal, and some NWOBHM melodies.

The Lord Weird Slough Feg - Down Among the Deadmen
1395.jpg

Probably one of the most underrated bands ever. Power metal at its finest. If you like power metal at all you NEED to check out this band.

Phobophile

I took a picture with Mike Scalzi at Alehorn of Power II in Chicago in June. So awesome. Traveller is better, BTW.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Ravager just got the instant cred. of Phobo in an instant, for 1 band alone.

P.S. Benighted does rule. Kronos does rule. France fucking rules. And shit's gotta be good for me to compliment France. :lol

Ravager61

Phobophile said:
I took a picture with Mike Scalzi at Alehorn of Power II in Chicago in June. So awesome. Traveller is better, BTW.

I lean both ways. Sometimes I like Traveller more but im currently in a DAtDM phase.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Ravager61 said:

*laughs* Until you see them live you really can't say anything, they make fun of themselves (and hysterically the emo kids in the crowd didn't get it) and have insane amounts of energy the entire show, they played an extensive set, all in all it was a SPECTACULAR show!

Seriously, Metal shows are fun but moshing is less fun as I get older (and cant be injured for when I am playing live myself :() but if you want great energy go to punk shows

Sorry for the derail, I was just pointing out that some people can be snobs... I think thats why I stopped listening to Metal for years (except X, always love them)... are all the non-mainstream genres this bad for this really!

Phobophile

lsslave said:
Sorry for the derail, I was just pointing out that some people can be snobs... I think thats why I stopped listening to Metal for years (except X, always love them)... are all the non-mainstream genres this bad for this really!

It's because we wanna keep people like you out >=]

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Phobophile said:
It's because we wanna keep people like you out >=]

Okay, you take the open minded music fan out, who give other stuff a try, you have now taken more sales of albums and concerts from an already (sadly) dwindling genre

You know what the funniest thing is? Linkin Park is considered metal (Nu Metal is still METAL) and I am sure fans of that band you would rip apart too.

Just because you don't like a form of metal DOESN'T make it a bad thing, and just because you can not open your minds to other forms of great music does not mean that there are not other good forms of music.

If you walk with your eyes closed you only appear the fool when you walk into a door!

SnakeXs

lsslave said:
Linkin Park is considered metal (Nu Metal is still METAL) and I am sure fans of that band you would rip apart too.

walrusjaimemythbusted719e7.jpg

P.S. You're barking up the wrong tree.

Ravager61

lsslave said:
You know what the funniest thing is? Linkin Park is considered metal (Nu Metal is still METAL) and I am sure fans of that band you would rip apart too.

Just because you don't like a form of metal DOESN'T make it a bad thing, and just because you can not open your minds to other forms of great music does not mean that there are not other good forms of music.

Just because someone likes a form of music doesnt mean it isnt boring, generic shit (which most modern rock music is).

Also, please leave the thread. This thread is about metal and not about your shitty attempt to defend the type of music you listen to.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Ravager61 said:
Just because someone likes a form of music doesnt mean it isnt boring, generic shit (which most modern rock music is).

Also, please leave the thread. This thread is about metal and not about your shitty attempt to defend the type of music you listen to.

And many Musicologists would defend the fact that crossing over hip-hop and metal is in fact a huge step in terms of musical evolution, among many other factors

And its sad I have to defend my music when the OP said:

Big Nate said:
So in the last metal thread we determined that there are a bunch of us here, so I figured I'd start a new thread so we could recommend albums and discuss. PLEASE people, let's try to keep this civil and don't rag on other's favorites. Just because some people like some forms of metal over others doesn't mean they are idiots.

Edit: and I am aware I started things off but someone simply commented on my layout and I replied, it just escalated further when people refused to drop it

PROPHET_BIG.jpg

Prophet of the last Eclipse is a good blend of orchestrated and electronic with power metal as the core.

1179485039_manowar.jpg

It may have a little too much narration if you listen to it all the way through, but most of the songs are really good.

Phobophile

We won't rag on you for liking something shitty like Japan X or Venom or something but we clearly will if you keep defending the hopeless argument that nu-metal is metal. If you know anything about music theory, or hell, have vaguely trained ears, you can tell that Linkin Park, Korn, et al. are clearly rock. Rock trying hard as fuck to market itself as metal.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Phobophile said:
We won't rag on you for liking something shitty like Japan X or Venom or something but we clearly will if you keep defending the hopeless argument that nu-metal is metal. If you know anything about music theory, or hell, have vaguely trained ears, you can tell that Linkin Park, Korn, et al. are clearly rock. Rock trying hard as fuck to market itself as metal.

It kind of falls into the whole category by force, which is as I stated before a broken down genre into too many subcategories that people no longer can decipher it...

This is similar to people who don't like to admit that hair metal was metal, it was basically pop anthems with guitar solos to many metal-heads I know, but it was still there...

I am not defending Nu-Metal, I like one band (see: Linkin Park) of an entire genre and despise the rest, but I simply wanted to point out that many hip-hop kids like to feel hardcore stating that they like a metal band from Nu-Metal...

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Now Phobophile, I just wont hear it. X Japan kicks ass.

I assume you've just heard their late shit and were unaware. But there will be no insulting Jealousy/Vanishing Vision. Even if that troll(whom you lot are feeding) likes them. Fuck. Seems in his post he recommended Jealousy. So just miss Voiceless Screaming and Say Anything off it.

Blargh. I'm getting those albums you listed Phooooo

Phobophile

I totally listened to whatever they had over 5 years ago. It's the whole lame arena rock influence Japan has to put in everything, even their metal bands. It's almost annoying even in Shadow and Intestine Baalism.

Phobophile

Ravager61 said:
As someone who LOVES death metal, I honestly cant understand the appeal of this band. All their songs are just one constant blast beat.

Annihilations of the Wicked was a really solid album! I was surprised when I heard it last year. The rest of their discography can go fuck off.

I just don't like how Behemoth went from being the best blackened death metal out there... to a fucking Nile clone.

SnakeXs

Phobophile said:
Annihilations of the Wicked was a really solid album! I was surprised when I heard it last year. The rest of their discography can go fuck off.

I just don't like how Behemoth went from being the best blackened death metal out there... to a fucking Nile clone.

Might have something to do with hanging out with Sanders himself.

Blah.

Ravager61

Phobophile said:

I admit being pretty underwhelmed by the Apostasy but Demigod and Zos Kia Cultis are great releases. I actually dont find the 2 bands all that similar.

Phobophile

It's the "modern death metal" guitar tone and the lackluster riffing introduced since Demigod. At least Behemoth's drumming doesn't suck... yet.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Phobophile said:

Annihilation was a very good album. Their new one bores the shit out of me though.

Maggot9

Banned
Ravager61 said:
Great album. Although I honestly think With Oden on our Side is their best release.

WOOOS is damn solid, without a doubt. I still give it regular listens. Though the lyrics on Once Sent are what really does it for me, it's like goddamn poetry man.

Victorious March is also my favourite song by them.

Ravager61

Maggot9 said:
WOOOS is damn solid, without a doubt. I still give it regular listens. Though the lyrics on Once Sent are what really does it for me, it's like goddamn poetry man.

Victorious March is also my favourite song by them.

Great song. I highly recommend picking up their dvd. Its 3 discs with 5 full concerts for like 15 bucks. Plus, one of the shows has a goddamn Viking battle live on stage.

Phobophile

YYZ said:
no offense, I know people have different tastes, but that's the epitome of metal that I truly dislike and the type of metal that outsiders base the entire genre on (not that that's the band's fault).

Death metal in general, or generic, mainstream-ish death metal?

Maggot9

Banned
Ravager61 said:
Great song. I highly recommend picking up their dvd. Its 3 discs with 5 full concerts for like 15 bucks. Plus, one of the shows has a goddamn Viking battle live on stage.

You don't have to tell me that, they're my favourite band. I got their DVD the first chance I got.

Ravager61

Maggot9 said:
You don't have to tell me that, they're my favourite band. I got their DVD the first chance I got.

Nice. I was going to see them over the summer on Sounds of the Underground. I bought my ticket in advance and everything.... and then they didnt play the date I bought the ticket for. I had to sit through shit like Job for a Cowboy, Everytime I Die, and other crappy hardcore bands, which would have been ok if I got to see Amon Amarth, but I didnt so it sucked.

Maggot9

Banned
Ravager61 said:
Nice. I was going to see them over the summer on Sounds of the Underground. I bought my ticket in advance and everything.... and then they didnt play the date I bought the ticket for. I had to sit through shit like Job for a Cowboy, Everytime I Die, and other crappy hardcore bands, which would have been ok if I got to see Amon Amarth, but I didnt so it sucked.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x88/Maggot9_bucket/CA0JKV2P.jpg

that was from SOTU

and they're coming back here for their headlining tour later on this year

Phobophile said:

Aww what's wrong with Venom? : ( Black Metal is a great album.

Phobophile

Propagandhim said:
Aww what's wrong with Venom? : ( Black Metal is a great album.

Haha, I never liked that band. They're not the worst out there but they're totally suck ass. Though I do appreciate their influence on metal.

Phobophile said:
Haha, I never liked that band. They're not the worst out there but they're totally suck ass. Though I do appreciate their influence on metal.

Ahh. If you could recommend one album what would it be? I haven't listened to good metal in a long time.

Phobophile said:
Pretty good slam death from Greece. I really enjoyed it.

The music is great. Intense - totally kicking my ass - but I'm not a fan of incomprehensible vocals like this. Is there anything on your list that has more..."orthodox" vocals?

Eternal Hypnosis is a pretty sweet tune.

Ecrofirt

You know guys, I host a metal radio show at my college on Wednesdays from 9-11PM Eastern time.

I'll link to the radio stream next week.

Ecrofirt

Propagandhim said:
Can I call in and be awesome?
You can call, but we don't have it set up so callers can get on the air.

We've also got an AIM screen name you can put requests in at as well.

Ecrofirt said:
You can call, but we don't have it set up so callers can get on the air.

We've also got an AIM screen name you can put requests in at as well.

Aww, okay. I'll check it out of you post the link.

Phobophile

Propagandhim said:
The music is great. Intense - totally kicking my ass - but I'm not a fan of incomprehensible vocals like this. Is there anything on your list that has more..."orthodox" vocals?

Eternal Hypnosis is a pretty sweet tune.

"Orthodox?" Do you mean clean vocals? Or not the gurgly brutal death vox?

Phobophile said:
"Orthodox?" Do you mean clean vocals? Or not the gurgly brutal death vox?

Not necessarily "clean".. I'm not really sure. I'm a fan of Tragedy and Exodus, and I wouldn't say they use a "clean vocal" style, but maybe they do? All I know is that the sounds coming out of their mouths are words, and I like it like that. Yeah, i don't really like the gurgling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom