• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most annoying enemies in gaming?

Boralf

Now imagine that they populate the entire world, follow you relentlessly, and attract more of their kind with each passing second.

yKjShFi.jpeg
What game is it from?

I mainly have two types that are the most annoying:

1)Any enemy that stunlocks you for an extended period of time to where pressing literally every button on the controller does absolutely nothing for you. The reason they are annoying is because instead of just being a one-hit-kill enemy, they give you the illusion of choice. The illusion that you can somehow find a way out of their long string combo.

tumblr_ndmn0jmqUR1tmrmr3o1_1280.gif

2) Enemies in shooters who have a rocket launcher, either in small rooms or up close. They usually have zero regard for their own life and anyone else’s life in close vicinity. 99% chance of them shooting a rocket point blank if given the chance, killing everyone in the room. This is a one hit kill so it's not quite as annoying as number 1, but it is definitely an immersion breaker to where you start to see the programming behind the AI, rather than what should be a character in front of you.

When I played shooters as a kid I used to call it 'Player 1 must die' AI logic, which essentially means no matter what or how ridiculous, no matter what's in front of them or what's happening around them, their objective is to end your game. No strategy involved because their solution does not include a drop of self-preservation.

Drell

I recently replayed OOT as a randomizer and I was first going to talk about the hands. But once you know to just move when they come, you have no risk.

These bitches on the other side:
320px-OoT_Fire_Keese_Model.png

These bats will always come for you and burn your shield as a kid. They'll respawn each time you get in that dungeon room just to distract you from the puzzle you're solving.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
2) Enemies in shooters who have a rocket launcher, either in small rooms or up close. They usually have zero regard for their own life and anyone else’s life in close vicinity. 99% chance of them shooting a rocket point blank if given the chance, killing everyone in the room.
The Division 2 actually doesn’t do this. The AI has several behavior categories with stat values for aggression, self-preservation, etc. that vary depending on the faction. The True Sons for example, will use modern military tactics for flanking, taking cover, etc versus say, the Hyenas who are maximum aggression, utilize zero military tactics, and have little regard for self preservation because they’re a gang drugged out of their minds and only care about living in the moment.

In the case of the True Sons, one of the enemy types uses rocket launchers. If you approach to a certain distance, they will actively seek to create distance from you. If you get too close and they are unable to get away, they’ll switch to a sidearm because a rocket will damage themselves or other units and they won’t fire it.

With The Cleaners, you can shoot at their flamethrower tanks to get them to detonate after a few seconds, a neat gameplay design choice. This usually means the unit will die and the explosion will hurt anyone in proximity. The fun is when you do it to an elite version of the unit, because knowing they’re about to die, most of them will literally charge at you to try to take you out with them.

BoxFresh123

These shield bastards in Hades. I'm not the best at the game and they kicked my ass run after run. (they're not too bad now. Got them figured right as Hades II drops lol)

Wp6pyGg.jpeg

Variahunter

most recently, dragon dogma 2 harpies:
dd2-enemies-harpy.jpg

they appear very early in the game, &, if you're a non-mage/archer, they truly suck. getting the ensnare skill just might've been the high point of my whole play through...
Easy with thief. Just use the grapple. Knight is kind of fucked though.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If it's tracking you, how do you even scape that? Seems broken to me at first glance...
They actually very easy to dodge, you can even hide behind pillar......the more annoying part is several of them hide underground to ambush you.

Last edited:

rm082e

Dark Souls 1 Basilisk
What the fuck is this? Why am I dead?? What is cursed??? WHY DO I RESPAWN IN HALF HP?????!!!!
W41MRif.jpeg

It still give me chills in Dark Souls 3 lol.

Yep. I remember creeping through those stupid sewers going ham with my bow trying to take them out before they could get close to me.

kubricks

Yep. I remember creeping through those stupid sewers going ham with my bow trying to take them out before they could get close to me.

Imagine when you first experience the game before the 1st patch... the curse and hp penalty stacks lol.
They still haunt me after two sequels, that's how annoying they are.

rm082e

Imagine when you first experience the game before the 1st patch... the curse and hp penalty stacks lol.
They still haunt me after two sequels, that's how annoying they are.
Oh I know. I played through DS3 about 6 months ago and I still puckered when I ran into these guys.

Top Bottom