• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NeoGAF Spider-Man 3 The Game The Official Thread

Captain N

brandonh83 said:
Understandable, but wow that's a lot of cash for a game. Just sayin.

I understand, but it's my birthday weekend and I'll be getting birthday money that I won't actually end up paying for any of them with my own money.

Captain N said:
I understand, but it's my birthday weekend and I'll be getting birthday money that I won't actually end up paying for any of them with my own money.

Nothing wrong with taking sweet advantage :)

ckohler

Where will you go to enter the subway in the 360/PS3 versions? I've not seen any videos showing that. Are there just subway entrances sprinkled about? Sounds cool.

Captain N said:
Alright well my computer won't run it so I'm gonna be getting..

PS3 collector's
GBA
DS
Wii
XBOX 360

what version is everyone else getting?

Wow. I know Activision loooves you. I'm just going to get the Xbox 360 version Friday.

I'd like to be able to zip through small openings like Spider-man does in the movies (like during the train battle in the second when he jacknifes through that citizen platform or whatever it was).

TheFallen

Found this over on the VIP forum for the game. Might prove interesting to potential Wii and PS2 buyers. Don't blame me if you dislike the op's opinion.

There are a few people who actually have this game and they noted it as a "downgraded version of the 360/PS3 game". Here are reasons why:

* Has 5 storylines, one being the movie.
We were lead to believe by Vicarious Visions that the game would have ten storylines. This is incorrect. If you look at the back of the box for Wii and PS2, there are only FIVE storylines. This makes the main game very short (about 5hr 10mins, not counting the gangs you need to clear the city of).

* No swimming in this version.
PS3, 360, and PC all allow you to swim in the bodies of water in the game. Now, this may not seem like a bad thing, but it is. This means, once again like SM2, if you fall in the water, you lose a mission. If you fall in the water on PS3/360/PC, you can swim back out and continue on.

* No free-roaming subways or sewers.
We were ALSO lead to believe you can freely run around in the subways and sewers. You can't. In the PS3/360/PC version, you can run around in the sewers and subways after you unlock them by doing the story. In the Wii and PS2 version, you can't do that. The subways are blocked by metal fences and the manholes of the sewers aren't open anymore after you complete the missions in them.

* Contains eight villains (Morbius, Shriek, Sandman, Venom, New Goblin, Kraven, Lizard (different design than PS3/360), and Carlyle).
We were again lead to believe we were getting 12 villains. No, we're not. The people who DO have this game have beaten it already (it's a short game) and only noticed THOSE villains in the game. In the 360/PS3 version, you have ten villains to fight against (minus Morbius and Shriek, but add Scorpion, Calypso, and Kingpin).

* Can't accidentally harm yourself.
Wow, what a way to kiddify the game on a console that's already viewed as kiddy, Vicarious Visions. Remember how if you fell from the Empire State Building and hit the ground, you'd die? Nope. Not in the Wii/PS2 version of SM3 you don't! You'll get right back up as if nothing happened.

Other Minor Annoyances:
No sitting on lampposts.
All battles, cineactives, and how the characters are introduced and included are completely changed.

Some Good Things:
You gain the symbiote suit VERY early in the game, in PS3/360/PC, you can't do this.
Like PS3/360/PC, you can unlock the symbiote suit after you beat the game. But, you need to collect tokens to do this (in the other version, you don't need to do this).

I know this may really mess up people's plans. But you don't deserve to be "surprised" when you buy the game. You may or may not believe me, but that's fine with me.

Now, the game's unlockables aren't known yet, and they may be good. But I don't think I will support this game for Wii or PS2 again.

ant1532

Banned
Captain N said:
Can't you just get one and rent the rest or something?

Glad I'm getting the PS3 version. Save for the ommission of a couple side-villains and waggle, it's got basically the whole package.

deadbeef

I've never played any of the Spider Man games before, but I'm kind of interested in this one. The only videos I've seen have been of SM jumping off buildings. How busy is the ground with pedestrians and cars and what not in these games? The city looks pretty dead to me.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
shagg_187 said:
Too bad EU gets kicked in the nuts again with a 2 week delay.. (PS3 version)

Collector's Edition for me :D

WHAT ?!? Delay ?!?!?! It is supposed to come out this week (I just called a retailer this morning :()...

f@luS

More than a member.
thats it , im going for 360 version

screw sony and activision, why is it delayed ONLY on ps3 ONLY in europe ? FFS, buying the 360 game today , ill see later when it will cost 20buks for the PS3with goblin.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Panajev2001a said:
WHAT ?!? Delay ?!?!?! It is supposed to come out this week (I just called a retailer this morning :()...

You know what is awesome the ps3 has region free games. Just import the american version.

Captain N

ant1532 said:
Can't you just get one and rent the rest or something?

I've got a bit of an issue I suppose, but I'm tell gonna get them all

I think it's awesome that the even the DS version has an open world..I really think that the Spidey games are the best games based on movies..as well as comic book(s).

mrkgoo

Well the movie was pooh, but I still want the game. When do reviws go up? I want a few more impressions of the wii version... There's been conflicting opinions, so I'm undecided.

Wii Impressions:

- Swinging is fantastic when you get the hang of it. It's bundles of fun.

- Combat veers between 'not bad, actually' and 'a bit frustrating...' Generally, it works though I find in the heat of the moment that attempting to do the strong attack by thrusting both controllers down is hit and miss. However, signs are there that I'm getting the hang of how it wants me to do it a bit more....

- Strange - but minor - glitches have made themselves apparent. Sometimes after a misson when Maguire is doing a voiceover bit, Spider-Man will temporarily 'glide' rather than walk. Only lasts for a few seconds, but is slightly jarring. There's also a similarly jarring load of two or three seconds when about to talk to someone after certain missions. It's as though it cuts off the 'mission complete' music. Again, it's a minor issue though does suggest a lack of polish in places.

- Draw distance. At night, everything looks pretty nice considering the scope of the game. In fact, it's not so bad in the day - I've seen plenty of worse looking efforts on Wii, and the Spidey model looks suitably graceful as he soars through New York. However, if you don't want to see the buildings lose almost all detail don't look down from the top of the Empire State Building when it's light. ;)

- I understand certain moves aren't in this version - You can't sit atop lampposts, for instance.

I'm a little bit less annoyed about the game being shorter than on PS3/360 now that I hear it's essentially a different game in many ways, rather than exactly the same thing but with less. Swinging through the city just feels right with the Remote & Nunchuk and that's enough for me to say that, in an hour's play so far, the developers have got *something* very right at least. I can't help but wonder if a slightly more cartoon-ish visual style might have worked in its favour and helped put aside comparisons to its higher-powered counterparts and focused attention on its strengths instead.

mrkgoo

TheDrowningMan said:
Wii Impressions:

- Swinging is fantastic when you get the hang of it. It's bundles of fun.

- Combat veers between 'not bad, actually' and 'a bit frustrating...' Generally, it works though I find in the heat of the moment that attempting to do the strong attack by thrusting both controllers down is hit and miss. However, signs are there that I'm getting the hang of how it wants me to do it a bit more....

- Strange - but minor - glitches have made themselves apparent. Sometimes after a misson when Maguire is doing a voiceover bit, Spider-Man will temporarily 'glide' rather than walk. Only lasts for a few seconds, but is slightly jarring. There's also a similarly jarring load of two or three seconds when about to talk to someone after certain missions. It's as though it cuts off the 'mission complete' music. Again, it's a minor issue though does suggest a lack of polish in places.

- Draw distance. At night, everything looks pretty nice considering the scope of the game. In fact, it's not so bad in the day - I've seen plenty of worse looking efforts on Wii, and the Spidey model looks suitably graceful as he soars through New York. However, if you don't want to see the buildings lose almost all detail don't look down from the top of the Empire State Building when it's light. ;)

- I understand certain moves aren't in this version - You can't sit atop lampposts, for instance.

I'm a little bit less annoyed about the game being shorter than on PS3/360 now that I hear it's essentially a different game in many ways, rather than exactly the same thing but with less. Swinging through the city just feels right with the Remote & Nunchuk and that's enough for me to say that, in an hour's play so far, the developers have got *something* very right at least. I can't help but wonder if a slightly more cartoon-ish visual style might have worked in its favour and helped put aside comparisons to its higher-powered counterparts and focused attention on its strengths instead.

Thanks - I might get it.

If the game has the sense of 'being spider-man' as SM2, it will be bundles of fun. New york was just so much fun to swing around in, and finding new things every time you play. I loved all the little randome things in teh game, like mysterio, swinging up to the stature of liberty etc.

maxmars

TheDrowningMan said:
Wii Impressions:

I'm a little bit less annoyed about the game being shorter than on PS3/360 now that I hear it's essentially a different game in many ways, rather than exactly the same thing but with less.

I've read above that the game is 5-ish hours long, which I find weird (I'd expect somewhat more), can you comment on that already? I mean, one hour into the game you should have experienced about 1/5 of the plot.

This is the only thing keeping me from buying it -- I mean, if it's really 5 hours long I'll just rent it.. I put some 40 hours into the GodFather, not expecting to be that long, but neither 1/8 of that.

maxmars said:
I've read above that the game is 5-ish hours long, which I find weird (I'd expect somewhat more), can you comment on that already? I mean, one hour into the game you should have experienced about 1/5 of the plot.

This is the only thing keeping me from buying it -- I mean, if it's really 5 hours long I'll just rent it.. I put some 40 hours into the GodFather, not expecting to be that long, but neither 1/8 of that.

Erm, well, apparently I'm 15% in after doing the first major part of the plot. Other than that, I've done some swinging around and some side missions. The side missions have contributed only 2% to that total and took not too much less time than the main thing.

So yeah - If you're going to just keep solely to the main story arc and do nothing else - no side missions, no time wasting, no exploring then you might be able to rush through it in five hours. However, I can't see myself spending any less than 15-20 hours with it at the current rate.

I've just had an alert to go and deal with certain gangs, so I have the option to do that next instead of continuing with the story.

maxmars

TheDrowningMan said:
Erm, well, apparently I'm 15% in after doing the first major part of the plot. Other than that, I've done some swinging around and some side missions. The side missions have contributed only 2% to that total and took not too much less time than the main thing.

So yeah - If you're going to just keep solely to the main story arc and do nothing else - no side missions, no time wasting, no exploring then you might be able to rush through it in five ours. However, I can't see myself spending any less than 15-20 hours with it at the current rate.

Ahh ok that's cool. Thanks!

To be honest in the GodFather the most time has been spent outside of missions, too, so if there's some 15-20 hours worth of game I'm set. :D

I mean, I can't say 100% whether the side missions will carry on with such frequency, but they're almost a constant so far. I don't want to be the cause of disappointment! I'll definitely be putting more time in when I get back from work tonight though and will post further impressions with regards to future side-missions and their frequency, etc....

It might not set the world alight and it's probably an archetypal "6.8 / 7.0" game to many reviewers (much like The Godfather, to be honest...) but my honest appraisal from the time spent with it so far is that I had fun, and that surely counts for something. :)

maxmars

TheDrowningMan said:
I mean, I can't say 100% whether the side missions will carry on with such frequency, but they're almost a constant so far. I don't want to be the cause of disappointment! I'll definitely be putting more time in when I get back from work tonight though and will post further impressions with regards to future side-missions and their frequency, etc....

Don't worry I'm not using your comment as definitive evidence, I'm just trying to understand if it's a rental or a keeper and in the end it's my own responsibility the decision to buy it or not.. Please don't rush it just to post here. :)

As for the fun, I'm sure it will be well received at home. I took the missus at the movie yesterday and the kids wanted to come, too, but we decided against it because it's too intense for them (5 and 3 yo), so they're waiting anxiously for the game. There's no way they'll be disappointed. If OTOH I will be, I will console myself with Mario Strikers Charged in a couple of weeks.. :D

sk3tch

FYI - stores now have this game in stock (saw it at my local Game Crazy). They may not be selling it, yet (due to street date of tomorrow, obviously) - but if you're hoping for some stores to break the date, check now!

The PS3 collector's version is in a regular case with "Collector's Edition" on the top. Then it is covered in a cardboard piece that is removeable (the inside case - the standard PS3 one is the one that is shrinkwrapped).

All of the rest of the packaging was standard (DS, Wii, PS3 regular ed., 360, PS2).

Dave1988

Dartastic said:
Firstly, = 0. Secondly, thought you guys might be interested in this.

360 best version, confirmed?

http://valleywag.com/tech/activision/activision-goofs-up-spider+man-3-257476.php

Ummmm...No?

If anything, all versions of this game are screwed up.

I wonder though - most people that played the game on the Xbox360/PS3 say that the frame rate is ok with some stutters present on both versions.

EDIT:
This cought my attention:

I have finished the missions (all story driven events) and gotten the end credits. Now I have the choice of swapping to the black suit through the menu. If I do so I start a new game with all the abilities I previously had. It's like jumping between two save files from what I can tell.

Sounds....nice! New Game + in such a game could possibly up its replayability.

SonnyBoy

Lonesome_Raod said:
Skydiving: anyone got tips? im on the first one and struggling to get over 9 points. doesnt seemto control well.

I had trouble with the controls also.

I also had trouble during a mission and I'm hoping its not a glitch.

When you're fighting the school girls in the theatre and they have the 3 hostages tied up, at the end of the fight a light falls from the ceiling and you have to press X to punch it away. When I press X Spidey goes into some weird animation and everyone dies.... Is it just me?

Snaku

Banned
Pedobear said:
Nope.

edit
Seems it was just for one fight. Maybe's he unlockable later

Sandman?
Looks like he had a playable QTE or something in the behind the scenes video.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Snaku said:
Sandman?
Looks like he had a playable QTE or something in the behind the scenes video.
When it said Achievement Unlocked I was sure it was
You are now Wingoblin! You are awesome. But no...And yeah, it's against that one sand person.

Snaku

Banned
Pedobear said:
When it said Achievement Unlocked I was sure it was
You are now Wingoblin! You are awesome. But no...And yeah, it's against that one sand person.

Ah, pretty much what I figured.

Top Bottom