• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

ElyrionX

"air video" or "stream to me". air video gives you better IQ options

Thanks. Trying out Air Video now. When viewing a video via Live Conversion, does the app use my PC to convert the video or does it use the iPad to do the conversion? Also, when it says convert, what format does it actually convert to?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Thanks. Trying out Air Video now. When viewing a video via Live Conversion, does the app use my PC to convert the video or does it use the iPad to do the conversion? Also, when it says convert, what format does it actually convert to?

Your PC.

LCfiner

The PC does the conversion. it converts to h.264 that plays natively on the iPad (and maximizes battery life on the ipad). the process is extremely fast. I can scrub around files and the PC picks up the live conversion after a second or so.

if the file is already h.264, you can just stream the file with no conversion (but you may want to convert to lower bitrate if you're streaming a video across 3G.)

I have never scratched glass on an iPhone in my pocket or my iPad. I understand the reasoning behind a case as people tend to drop things.

The glass on my 4s has a hairline crack / scratch I can't tell.. its never been dropped and only ever been put in my pocket without anything else.

so it can scratch.

I was naked for awhile and always have been with all my devices but now I wish I had a screen protector and that makes me feel dirty.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just got it.

Holy crap. This is amazing. The web browsing is light years ahead of that POS iPad 1.

Now what's the least painless way to stream mkv files from my Windows 7 PC to the new iPad via WiFi?

Air video as mentioned, or plex if you want rich metadata around it

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Can't rid myself of the fantasy of having a Mac mini and an iPad propped up on this stand next to it using air display as its primary display. Someone help me.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Can't rid myself of the fantasy of having a Mac mini and an iPad propped up on this stand next to it using air display as its primary display. Someone help me.

Seems weird to have the Mac Mini depend on the iPad as it's primary display. That would imply that you'd never be using the Mac Mini and the iPad simultaneously. I'd rather shell out $100 and just buy a dedicated monitor so I could use them both together instead of creating an either/or.

Blackhead

Redarse
Haha, I have that fantasy too. I've tried everything but it's still not viable yet.
Seems weird to have the Mac Mini depend on the iPad as it's primary display. That would imply that you'd never be using the Mac Mini and the iPad simultaneously. I'd rather shell out $100 and just buy a dedicated monitor so I could use them both together instead of creating an either/or.

There's no such implication. The Mac Mini can continue running even when not connected to a display.

Did you try one of those display apps? They're okay, but none of them will make the iPad a full monitor replacement. The lag is usually too high for that.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Well right now I've been just using my old MacBookPreezy through vnc as a media server which is working positively great. I haven't touched the thing since I got my iPad, lol. But I was pricing out some upgrades for it (more ram, ssd, ripping out the optical drive for another hdd, etc..) and it quickly got up to like four or five hundred bucks. Which seems like a lot of money to put in a six year old computer.

I actually probably wouldn't use the Mac mini and iPad simultaneously ever. I probably wouldn't even use it in the configuration I described very often either, since more often than not I'd just grab the iPad and sit on my bed. But I think it would look cool as shit on display and also when I just want to sit at a desk and do some good ole'fashioned computing for whatever reason.

alekth

Finally got my black 32GB wifi one. This is my first iPad and actually my first Apple product ever, pretty glad I went with it, the screen is gorgeous. So fine that I can read manga even with a lot of small text dual-page in landscape, so now I'm glad I didn't go for a widescreen tablet.

One question, how durable is the aluminium backside (from experience with previous iPads)? I got a smart cover and I like it, but I don't want to go further. Not planning to rub it on sandpaper or the pavement, but is it going to stay relatively good-looking after it gets some putting/slight sliding on a table?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
There's no such implication. The Mac Mini can continue running even when not connected to a display.

Well sure...you can have the Mac Mini acting as a server for whatever you may want it to be doing and leave it on all the time. All I was implying is that you'd never be able to multi-task between the two devices since one of them is being used to be the entire display for the other.

Just seems like you'd be better served having a monitor setup so you can use the iPad as an iPad and the Mac Mini as the Mac Mini.

I access my Mac Mini all the time through LogMeIn which essentially makes the iPad both a monitor and an input device for the Mac Mini...just a laggy one.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just tested it out. Air display is leggy but more responsive than vnc... Interesting.. I was actually kind of impressed.

I wonder if having a really nice wireless n router would improveit even further.

Just tested it out. Air display is leggy but more responsive than vnc... Interesting.. I was actually kind of impressed.

It's definitely not terrible. The last time I used DisplayLink, was when I was sick and used the iPad as wireless display in bed, so I could play Persona 4, emulated on my PC, with my DualShock 3. It was a great "technology, fuck yeah" moment for me. :lol

RPS37

Does Home Sharing work on the iPhone, but not the iPad? What am I missing?

Edit: Nevermind! I just had it set up on the iPhone for so long I forgot I had activate it first.

Is there built in iTunes way to do the same thing with photos/videos? Or is that what I use AirVideo for.

EDIT 2: So apparently, Home Sharing works with videos too. Cool!

Finally got my black 32GB wifi one. This is my first iPad and actually my first Apple product ever, pretty glad I went with it, the screen is gorgeous. So fine that I can read manga even with a lot of small text dual-page in landscape, so now I'm glad I didn't go for a widescreen tablet.

One question, how durable is the aluminium backside (from experience with previous iPads)? I got a smart cover and I like it, but I don't want to go further. Not planning to rub it on sandpaper or the pavement, but is it going to stay relatively good-looking after it gets some putting/slight sliding on a table?

You should be fine with just the smart cover. That's what I roll with and it's worked just fine for this iPad and the iPad 2. The backing is pretty sturdy unlike the iPod touch.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Well sure...you can have the Mac Mini acting as a server for whatever you may want it to be doing and leave it on all the time. All I was implying is that you'd never be able to multi-task between the two devices since one of them is being used to be the entire display for the other.

Just seems like you'd be better served having a monitor setup so you can use the iPad as an iPad and the Mac Mini as the Mac Mini.

I access my Mac Mini all the time through LogMeIn which essentially makes the iPad both a monitor and an input device for the Mac Mini...just a laggy one.

This is what I do. Mac mini connected to our lounge tv running plex and air video servers, and my iPad as....my iPad.

I mostly use the mini as a plex front end, and administer it using iTeleport on the iPad. That way I don't even need a keyboard or mouse.

I have set it up recently with splashtop for running minecraft, so my kids can play multiplayer. So I'll have the iPad on an easel stand, with the mac mini BT keyboard and wireless mouse in front of it. Works well enough

Circle T

Got my new case today. I went with the new "Spring/Summer" collection DODO Case, in the Granite/Poppy color. The lighting isn't the best in my pics, and looks almost red, but it is a really nice vibrant orange color. The quality is excellent, and feels really nice to hold. The bamboo frame inside is slotted so all the buttons and ports are fully accessible. It has the magnets built in, so Sleep/Wake works fine as well. It doesn't stand up very well in a vertical position, but I don't ever do that so no biggie. Very pleased with it.

lsj7k.jpg

w389o.jpg

C6K4p.jpg

LYxvX.jpg

Ql5aP.jpg

DarkWish

Holy crap, Air Video is amazing! Works almost instantly and streams high quality content without buffering. This is fantastic!

I also have a question... I changed my iTunes settings to download 1080p videos, however when I delete my movies and try to re-download them, I still get the same thing, no 1080p. Now, the only movies I have on iTunes are ones from digital copies of movies I got on Blu-ray, is that why I can't get the 1080p version or am I doing something wrong?

LCfiner

Holy crap, Air Video is amazing! Works almost instantly and streams high quality content without buffering. This is fantastic!

I also have a question... I changed my iTunes settings to download 1080p videos, however when I delete my movies and try to re-download them, I still get the same thing, no 1080p. Now, the only movies I have on iTunes are ones from digital copies of movies I got on Blu-ray, is that why I can't get the 1080p version or am I doing something wrong?

that’s exactly why

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
How do you guys hold the iPad? I can't find a comfortable way to hold it. It digs my palm:
pic_AuAg_m.jpg

If I pull my palms away from the edge, I can't properly balance it with my fingertips to use it with the other hand.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I was working on my iPad technique just today because I was having the same issue. Let's just say I like putting it on my desk :D

Really trivial question but I was hoping someone could advise: If you use the switch on the side to mute, when you mute is it supposed to show alarm clock volume? Because I feel like just recently it started showing me alarm clock symbol and not the regular volume symbol. Then yesterday some freaking app was making noise despite my having it on mute so I was wondering if something was going haywire. I don't have any alarms on fwiw.

cnizzle06

Banned
Got my new case today. I went with the new "Spring/Summer" collection DODO Case, in the Granite/Poppy color. The lighting isn't the best in my pics, and looks almost red, but it is a really nice vibrant orange color. The quality is excellent, and feels really nice to hold. The bamboo frame inside is slotted so all the buttons and ports are fully accessible. It has the magnets built in, so Sleep/Wake works fine as well. It doesn't stand up very well in a vertical position, but I don't ever do that so no biggie. Very pleased with it.

Very nice. I was definitely considering a Dodo Case but I'm not sure if I'd like the added dimensions. Still haven't decided between this, a slip case, and a Hard Graft case.

Decisions.

Yaska

That dodo case looks awesome. I think I might pick one of those as well. Just have to wait for my maroo case to finally arrive, the ipad itself will arrive today, 2 weeks earlier than estimated. Thanks Apple D:

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I was working on my iPad technique just today because I was having the same issue. Let's just say I like putting it on my desk :D

Really trivial question but I was hoping someone could advise: If you use the switch on the side to mute, when you mute is it supposed to show alarm clock volume? Because I feel like just recently it started showing me alarm clock symbol and not the regular volume symbol. Then yesterday some freaking app was making noise despite my having it on mute so I was wondering if something was going haywire. I don't have any alarms on fwiw.

For some reason the audio is split. I was watching an online video and the volume was muted, but the video played the audio anyway. Seems there is 'sound effects' volume when on the home screen, and separate video volume.

I don't understand and it's really frustrating not knowing whether my volume is set correctly.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ah, that's a bummer.

Does anyone use the NYT app? Is there a way to get it to show me . . . that day's NYT? I get a bunch of sections but half of them have the same articles. I just want to read the paper.

Micerider

So, I bought the new iPad the last week-end (32Gb Wifi) and I am pretty happy with my purchase so far -my useage so far has not confirmed any abusive over-heating as I witnessed on Applestore "always-on" demo unit- and I have one question for other owners :

Does it take so long to re-charge the battery for everyone?

I plugged it in this morning at around 50%, I went to check after 3 hours and it was only up to 75%.

That seems to be incredibly slow.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
For some reason the audio is split. I was watching an online video and the volume was muted, but the video played the audio anyway. Seems there is 'sound effects' volume when on the home screen, and separate video volume.

I don't understand and it's really frustrating not knowing whether my volume is set correctly.
Since iOS 4 (I think) it worked like this on iPhone as well. There's Ringer volume (think iOS sound effects) and video/music volume. You set the ringer volume in Settings with that slider there and also decide if it can be altered with the volume buttons. This is the sound that the mute function operates on/off. Music and video will always play sound if you start playing it but you can mute this as well by using the volume buttons to set the sound to 0. If you have the volume keys set to decide ringer volume you'll also notice that it configures two separate volume sets/levels depending on if you're playing video/music at the time or not. In the end Alarms play regardless of mute or no mute, at the volume level you've set with the volume keys.

MasLegio

Banned
So, I bought the new iPad the last week-end (32Gb Wifi) and I am pretty happy with my purchase so far -my useage so far has not confirmed any abusive over-heating as I witnessed on Applestore "always-on" demo unit- and I have one question for other owners :

Does it take so long to re-charge the battery for everyone?

I plugged it in this morning at around 50%, I went to check after 3 hours and it was only up to 75%.

That seems to be incredibly slow.

Did you use the iPad-charger?

Micerider

I'm guessing he didn't. It should take around 4 hours with the iPad charger and 8 hours with an iPhone charger to get it full.

Hmmm possible, I don't have any iPhone, but I received a free additionnal power adaptator from the Apple Store for my purchase, currently using that one at work. Any way to distinguish them properly?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Hmmm possible, I don't have any iPhone, but I received a free additionnal power adaptator from the Apple Store for my purchase, currently using that one at work. Any way to distinguish them properly?

iPad chargers are 10W, iPhone ones are 5W. There should be a small print on one side of it telling you which one it is.

ElyrionX

I need a good high quality folio case for the iPad that protects the front, side and back. Something like the original iPad 1 case from Apple would be nice. Any recommendations?

I've heard goods things about the Switcheasy Canvas but can't seem to find a red one in the stores around here.

Ah, that's a bummer.

Does anyone use the NYT app? Is there a way to get it to show me . . . that day's NYT? I get a bunch of sections but half of them have the same articles. I just want to read the paper.

If you want to read today's paper, you may need to subscribe to the Times through the Newstand?

Ah, that's a bummer.

I get a digital subscription every fall for academic reasons, and it usually gives the updated articles for that given day.

Yaska

finally got mine. now to wait for maroo to ship my case, i don't think i'll need other case. also using splashtop for remote controlling works surprisingly well.

paparazzo

Anyone have any dock recommendations? Thinking about just pulling the trigger on a $9 one on ebay but I'm not sure how well it'll work with the weight of the 3rd gen iPad and whatnot. Not too keen on the official one since I've already spent a good amount on accessories for the thing and $29 seems overpriced.

judhudson

I may venture into getting an iPad 3 - it'll be the next Apple device since my old iPhone 3G. Since there is 200 pages of info and I'm at work, I'll have to browse this thread when I get home. But I'm curious to know if there is some sort of huge otterbox or case for the iPad like there is for an iPhone (I'm not really a fan of the...books or whatever the cases are you put them in) and if anyone here uses it.

I plan to pickup a stylus as well as a bag to carry it around it. I dont plan to do much traveling with it though, so I don't think I'd benefit much from the book-styled case...

Tobor

The switch isn't for muting the system wide volume, it mutes notifications. If you want to mute the system wide volume, hold down on the volume rocker for a sec.

The_Joker

so i just bought the new ipad and i have some questions regarding a cover.... i'm sure that a lot of you asked them here too, but it's more than 200 pages i would have to read, so i hope you understand that i'll ask them again :D

what do you think about the smart cover?...there are a lot of different things you can read about it... some say that they are shit while others love them... most of the time they say that they get dirty really quick and that they leave marks on the screen... and apparently the leather ones are more likely to rip.. what are your impressions?

and generally asking....should i get a screen-cover like the smart cover or a cover for the back too like the old ipad 1 covers? are the backs of the ipad sensitive for scratches?

please post your covers and tell me how much you like them/ don't like them...

i would like to spend 30-40€ (40-55$) for a cover but if there is a special one i would pay more for it...

and another thing... has anyone of you bought the camera connection kit? what can you do with it besides copying your pictures on the ipad from your camera? can you copy videos (or pictures) from an usb flash drive too and watch them on the ipad?

thank you in advance

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
If you want to read today's paper, you may need to subscribe to the Times through the Newstand?

I did! My peeve is basically with the layout. Like the same article will be on the front page of Front Page, Politics, US, and maybe even another section or two. Now I haven't read the physical paper in years but I'm pretty sure things haven't gotten so bad that they're doing that now. Doesn't make for a good experience imo. And unless I'm missing something the options are extremely limited. My personal preference they should on Newsstand just deliver you the actual paper with its actual sections and corresponding articles, and then have a section for articles posted online since you got the paper or something. When I read the Economist I get the Economist for the most part, not some jank version that repeats articles in eight different places.

Also I know NY Times doesn't play nice with Instapaper (I believe) but if you have their damn app and subscribe, is there any way to save articles from web? I see a bunch of share stuff but I don't want to do that just save.

Top Bottom