• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Mr Swine

Banned
Want to sell my iPad 2 on traders here in Sweden and the lowest pice for a used one is 1500 sek :-/ I was hoping to sel it for double the price :-( oh well item going to buy a iPad 3 sooner or later though :)

see5harp

RAM is a pretty big issue to me for a device I'd primarily use for browsing.

Assuming Safari or whatever third party browser you are using makes use of the RAM. It gets hairy with multiple tabs but it was still faster and more responsive than any other mobile browser I've used. That was with 256 megs of RAM. Maybe the display wasn't a big deal to you because everyone suspected that was the upgrade, but I'd be surprised if the browsing experience is significantly different with 1 gig of RAM.

This is going to be my first iPad.. hell first iOS device. I'm struggling with what size to get. I don't plan to plan to install music on this as I have an iPod classic, but I might put a movie or two on. Ahhh.. once I decide on the size, do I get Black or White... X_x

Glass Rebel

Assuming Safari or whatever third party browser you are using makes use of the RAM. It gets hairy with multiple tabs but it was still faster and more responsive than any other mobile browser I've used. That was with 256 megs of RAM. Maybe the display wasn't a big deal to you because everyone suspected that was the upgrade, but I'd be surprised if the browsing experience is significantly different with 1 gig of RAM.

We already knew about the display so I took that as granted. I was afraid they'd leave the RAM at 512mb which isn't enough for someone who uses heavy tabbing which I do. The 4S has 512mb RAM and it's a pain sometimes.

LosDaddie

Banned
Nice, but I still feel OK with my iPad 2.

Might just stay with my original plan of iPad 2 -> iPad 4 (next year) instead of upgrading to iPad 3 this year.

are the dimensions and cameras, ports, buttons, all in the same place as the ipad 2? thinking of putting a preorder in but i don't like Apple's Smart Cover, would love to buy one some 3rd party ipad 2 cover

Safari on an iOS5 iPad2 crashes on any image heavy page I visit. Opening the PC Screenshot thread here on Gaf always crashes the browser. I could imagine the additional Ram will make things better when browsing.

Not sure whether to stay with the Dark Gray smart cover or change to the Light Gray....does anyone here have the Light Gray? What are your opinions on it? Does it stay clean?

see5harp

I guess I've never had a bad time browsing. I get a ton of caching, which can be irritating, but I definitely don't go into the PC screenshot thread. It's awesome that they increased the amount of RAM but that's definitely not more important to me than the new display.

LCfiner

This needs to be in the OP

R7qnS.jpg

full size. in all its glory

Those with iPads already, do you guys take it out or just use it at home?

I thought I would use it more on the road but that never happened. That's one of the big reasons that I bought the new one. I can sell my 32 GB Verizon 3G iPad 2 for a decent price and I don't need 3G/4G. I get a nice upgrade, a new battery, while losing a feature I don't use and I'm only out $150 in the end.

mrkgoo

I find that possibly disingenuous, seeing as the retina screen seems to be slightly out of focus, or at the very least a bit blurred. The focus is on the word 'safari', and the icon is slightly out.
Again, I prefer the verge one:

retina_compare.jpg

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Can't get the colors of the smart covers to display lol.

So Smart Covers, yay or nay? I heard the leather ones bleed or something.

MercuryLS

Banned
It would have been nice if Apple updated the front camera too, VGA resolution chat on that display is going to be uuugly.

Einbroch

Banned
Can't get the colors of the smart covers to display lol.

So Smart Covers, yay or nay? I heard the leather ones bleed or something.

I ordered an off-brand one from eBay for like $12. They're nice, but the Apple one was kinda junky. Not expecting a great $12 smart cover, but the $60 didn't impress me at all.

Damn im possibly gonna buy my first apple product.

Can anyone tell me if you can play x264 MKV content on IPADs or do you need to convert it?

Or are there apps that can play it on the fly?

CFMOORE!

Those with iPads already, do you guys take it out or just use it at home?

both. fantastic home device and great when out someplace when and where it makes sense to have it with you. it is meant to be used heavily in both places.

buy one, love it and take it wherever you want.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

Crazy that you can actually make out the grass texture in the bat and ball image versus the iPad 2. This thing has to look amazing at normal viewing distances. I just want to process my photos to natively take advantage of the iPad3 resolution and look at them.

Top Bottom