• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

3N16MA

Banned
Customer: "Hi, I would like to buy a black 16 GB WI-FI iPad."

Apple Store employee: "Which model?"

Customer: "The new one."

Apple store employee gets The new iPad.

Terrible name.

I already have an iPhone, so I'll get an iPad whenever they decide to give it buttons for gaming.

I feel like someone typed this post in 2010, woke up out of their coma two years later and thought "fuck it, I took all that time to write it, I might as well get some mileage out of this post."

Customer: "Hi, I would like to buy a black 16 GB WI-FI iPad."

Apple Store employee: "Which model?"

Customer: "The new one."

Apple store employee gets The new iPad.

This. Bitching about the lack of a number after the name is just complete insanity. As has been mentioned, the iMac, Macbooks, Mac Minis, Apple TV, etc. don't have numbering conventions and people manage just fine.

In 6 months when most of the apps are upgraded to 'retina' this will be good.

But honestly, this will be it for the foreseeable future for ipad and iphone resolution upgrades, so it'll be the last time we have to worry about scaling and shit when this all works itself out.

That'll be nice.

Because you asked for the new iPad, presumably. Apple stores don't just have a pile of iPad boxes in the center of the floor so that you can help yourself.

I don't plan on going to the Apple Store. Let's say I went to Best Buy or Walmart to pick one up. How will I know which one I got unless I checked the settings?

I don't plan on going to the Apple Store. Let's say I went to Best Buy or Walmart to pick one up. How will I know which one I got unless I checked the settings?

Are you being serious? I can't imagine that someone can't figure out just to ask for the new iPad. Best Buy and Walmart also do not have a pile of "help yourself" iPads in the middle of the store.

Mashing

You can get an education discount if it's bought by an educational institution (meaning they own it and not you). I'm guessing he has some way around that. I didn't think it applied to iPad's though.

Are you being serious? I can't imagine that someone can't figure out just to ask for the new iPad. Best Buy and Walmart also do not have a pile of "help yourself" iPads in the middle of the store.
True, the local Walmart has them tucked behind glass, so the mouthbreathing dirty-poors do not ruin or blemish the pristine packaging.

This sounds insane to me.

Absolutely bonkers.

Are you asserting they have similar packaging not because it's elegant and they like it, but because they hope to fool people into buying a cheaper model?

They're not clearing stock of the iPad2. They keep it around for a low-price model. If they wanted to clear stock, they limit the supply and manufacture before hand. A la the Apple TV.

Where do people get this stuff from?

People want to argue about trivial things for the sake of arguing.

mrkgoo

They also tend to have new pictures on the box itself.

The iPad 1 was different from the iPad 2. Heck, I think they released a new box when iOS5 came out.

NYR

Managed to pre order a 64 GB Black WIFI model from the Canadian store. Here is hoping it gets to me by the 20th. If my shipping jumps to 3 weeks, I'll wait in line next Friday.

BFIB

Impressive tech, amazing display.

But since I have my iPhone, that is my biggest gripe with the iPad. The OS is pretty much feature for feature, the same. I'd like different experiences on both when it comes to the OS. I borrowed a friends iPad for a few weeks last year when he was out of the country thinking some long hands on time would change my opinion, but it didn't. Love every single thing about the internals on the iPad though.

Salmonax

If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything. I believe reading a box is one of those things.

Tobor

REAL PROBLEM:

Is in store reservation not an option this time? It says not eligible in the shopping cart.

Owzers

This will probably be my first ipad if i can find the money, though i'm going to be disappointed supporting labor camps that Apple thrives off of. I'm sure one or more of the next console systems will be made from FoxConn too :( *tangent rant about how companies wish slavery was legal so it would maximize profits*

LCfiner

But since I have my iPhone, that is my biggest gripe with the iPad. The OS is pretty much feature for feature, the same. I'd like different experiences on both when it comes to the OS. I borrowed a friends iPad for a few weeks last year when he was out of the country thinking some long hands on time would change my opinion, but it didn't. Love every single thing about the internals on the iPad though.

the differences are in the apps themselves. that’s what makes the ipad different. the experience inside an app allows for more complexity (see Korg synths as an example).

maybe there’ll be more divergence in lock screen or home screens between iPhone and ipad in iOS 6 and beyond. but those updates get their own events and are not on the same schedule as ipad hardware

Jijidasu

A random kind of off-topic question but; What is the best digital painting app out as of now?

I'm going to pick up a pogo sketch stylus and use the iPad a lot for sketching the only problem is I can't get a solid opinion on a market saturated with hundreds of painter clones.

NYR

Some employers offer discounts at various stores and retailers. I know I saved $1000 on my car just from working for the company I do. I think we only get iPads for like $20 cheaper though.

Yep, I got $20 off my new iPad ordering through my company page.

So Australia's 4G LTE network (Telstra) only supports a particular LTE frequency, guess what, it isn't in the new iPad. No 4G for Aussies is a pretty big disappointment. :(

3N16MA

Banned

There is overlap and I experienced when I had the original iPad and got the iPhone 4. I sold the iPad but see myself getting one again in the future.

For me it would be:

iPad = Around the house and occasionally out of the house

iPhone = On the go and occasionally in the house.

NYR

REAL PROBLEM:

Is in store reservation not an option this time? It says not eligible in the shopping cart.
Usually opens up exactly ONE WEEK after launch. It is never day and date, what would be the point of lining up...

This will probably be my first ipad if i can find the money, though i'm going to be disappointed supporting labor camps that Apple thrives off of. I'm sure one or more of the next console systems will be made from FoxConn too :( *tangent rant about how companies wish slavery was legal so it would maximize profits*

You really believe that Apple is doing such a terrible thing and you're thinking of giving them your money anyway? What the hell is wrong with you?

MontTrain

Banned
So AVPlayerHD can play 720p mkv no problem on an iPad 2? What about 720p mp4? Can you then use the HDMI adapter to output to your TV?

Yep. The iPad 3 has the same dual-core CPU as the iPad 2, but probably clocked slightly higher. It also has the same GPU as the iPad 2, but it's a quad-core version instead of the dual-core version in the iPad 2.

Yep. Mp4 is native to IOS and less intense CPU wise - the new iPad should churn through video pretty easily.

Don't have a HDMI adapter but I'd imagine that would work fine. Or AirPlay if you have Apple TV

Tobor

Pretty sure it never was, hence the lines outside of apple stores during product launches

Usually opens up exactly ONE WEEK after launch. It is never day and date, what would be the point of lining up...

Uhh, yeah. I reserved it last year. When you reserve it, you still have to wait in line, but are guaranteed an ipad. Just waiting in line has no guarantee.

I do seem to recall the reservations being a few days behind the preorders last year, maybe thats the case this year as well.

NYR

I'm 99% sure the entire outfit you are wearing right now was made in the same conditions, if not worse, and 100% your runners were made in the same or worse conditions.

NYR

Uhh, yeah. I reserved it last year. When you reserve it, you still have to wait in line, but are guaranteed an ipad. Just waiting in line has no guarantee.

I do seem to recall the reservations being a few days behind the preorders last year, maybe thats the case this year as well.
I can't speak for the states. In Canada, it was one week after. Same with the 4s and the iPad 2.

Top Bottom