• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Xbox Series Experience "UI"

Jose92

[Membe
xboxseriesxdashboard.gif

Vawn

Banned
Xbox 360 early on had a near-perfect UI. Then they kept changing it, making it a little worse until it was just a complete mess mid-way through this gen.

Now, it's slowly getting better, but still nowhere as good as early Xbox 360 blades UI.

MiguelItUp

Looks better than the XB1's interface for the most part. So that's a step in the right direction IMO.

I still don't understand why they haven't bothered bringing the blades back. People loved them, as did I, and for good reason. That aesthetic could be brought back and touched up to feel both familiar and new.

Last edited:

SoraNoKuni

It looks okay, minimal with dark accents which appeal to me.

I wonder if it's themable, probably yes but I really haven't seen the xbox UI since 360 days.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Xbox 360 early on had a near-perfect UI. Then they kept changing it, making it a little worse until it was just a complete mess mid-way through this gen.

Now, it's slowly getting better, but still nowhere as good as early Xbox 360 blades UI.
You can't compare them since there are so much more features in current and next-gen system. Try putting every feature of the Xbox One in blades and look how far you'll get.

GHG

I don't understand how a console interface is slower and more bloated than the Xbox app for PC. Just copy that for goodness sake.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Xbox has always been stronger in this area imho, and I say that as a PS guy. Even if I didn't always love what I saw of the XB1 UI this gen, I still preferred it to the boring, non-customizable, and limited PS4 UI, which hasn't changed since launch.

Stronger? I beg to differ and thts not the consensus, I'll also throw in the os which on Sony was faster, snappier, better by far.

But to each its own. This looks better than past Xbox ui so thts a start.

Last edited:

GHG

People were bitching about Series X not having a new UI and well here we are, and it looks great.

It's more like an evolution of the current one though is it not? The big tell is the fact that "my games and apps" is still present.

The design language is the same.

Stronger? I beg to differ and I'll also through in the os which on Sony was faster, snappier, better by far.

Yeah, I'll give you snappier and no obnoxious ads, though Sony has been inserting them in my game row lately.

I appreciate how Xbox displays the games, gives you sort and filter options, search, arranges things in grids with sidebars, etc. They seem to give more thought to UX in general even if they don't always nail it.

jakinov

Not a huge fan of blades. From the aesthetics perspective, the fake 3D look wouldn't fly for modern design standards/trends. The layout features less content while being very large, front and center. It also relies on buttons with only icons but no text in certain places which isn't great for new users. I don't think traversing the blades was that intuitive either. With the recently played and pins I think people can get in a game a lot faster with the current UI. And from the discovery perspective the old UI doesn't benefit Microsoft or a consumer that enjoys the discovery features.

Sorne

I like that they're trying to streamline the whole thing, across all the different platforms. Make it the same experience everywhere.

And faster. Thank god for making it faster!

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Looks great. Can't wait to dig deeper into it. Also, being even more snappy is gonna be a treat. I always liked how you could customize your account to your liking so it feels more like a computer and less like an ordinary console.

Gonna have to tinker with it. I could not stand the original X1's UI and can't recall spending any extensive time with one since 2016.

I can't even remember the 360's at this point, it changed at least 3 times.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I don't understand how a console interface is slower and more bloated than the Xbox app for PC. Just copy that for goodness sake.
Not sure what do you mean, Win10 app is super slow. *cough* Well you probably mean that Xbox Beta, not the Xbox Companion App, because that's horribly slow. I think they optimalize it well so far, obviously not ideal still, however how much is that due to Jaguar CPU and how much about networking in general remains to be seen until November....

GHG

What were you expecting? That they just scrap everything they've done and learned to build a new and unfamiliar UI from nothing?

Please....

I've previously made the suggestion that they take cues from the current Xbox App on PC:

xboxapppc-2-min.png

xboxapppcstore-2-min.png

• Make the tabs along the top larger and add an additional ones for "my games", "find/search", "media" and "settings" - a modern throwback to the blades
  • Remove the games list on the right (that would be redundant due to the separate "my games" tab)
  • Make the tabs slide across using the left and right trigger buttons
  • Make the game covers larger to be more suited for TV sitting distances
Finish.

Nothing needs to be started from scratch, they have a viable blueprint from which to work from.

The video mentions unification but it is not unified with the PC app. The PC app stands alone at the moment and it is better than the console interface (IMO).

Not sure what do you mean, Win10 app is super slow. *cough* Well you probably mean that Xbox Beta, not the Xbox Companion App, because that's horribly slow. I think they optimalize it well so far, obviously not ideal still, however how much is that due to Jaguar CPU and how much about networking in general remains to be seen until November....

Xbox Beta app is what I'm talking about. Never used the companion app so don't know how that compares.

Last edited:

M1chl

I've previously made the suggestion that they take cues from the current Xbox App on PC:

xboxapppc-2-min.png

xboxapppcstore-2-min.png

• Make the tabs along the top larger and add an additional ones for "my games", "find/search", "media" and "settings" - a modern throwback to the blades
  • Remove the games list on the right (that would be redundant due to the separate "my games" tab)
  • Make the tabs slide across using the left and right trigger buttons
  • Make the game covers larger to be more suited for TV sitting distances
Finish.

Nothing needs to be started from scratch, they have a viable blueprint from which to work from.

The video mentions unification but it is not unified with the PC app. The PC app stands alone at the moment and it is better than the console interface (IMO).

Xbox Beta app is what I'm talking about. Never used the companion app so don't know how that compares.
It's beyond horrible.

And basically Xbox Beta, is React-Native Ui/frontend for MS Store. The MS Store Xbox Insider is same deal now, which is testing out right now.

Stronger? I beg to differ and thts not the consensus, I'll also throw in the os which on Sony was faster, snappier, better by far.

Really? I hate the Sony App and the System UI lol

Xbox isn't much better. I think they both are weak

jaysius

Banned
"We've put 3 ADS on your homepage because MS won't let us stop fucking up our basic UI's with ADs because paying $300+ plus monthly fees isn't enough to get an AD FREE experience"

Is what they really should say, imagine if they could make a homescreen with 0 space given to shitty ads. MS UI designers wouldn't even know what to do if they were allowed to get rid of the ad spaces, they're so used to sticking them in there.

Fucking MS, and people defend the ADs too.

IF a mobile phone that you paid for had ADS on the mainscreen, ever present and dynamically changing, people would never buy that phone. They'd be scrutinized into oblivion, become the hottest long lasting meme, "Yo remember that phone with the ADS when you went to your homescreen, that you could never REMOVE, LULZ good try TELePhonia, better UI next TIME!!! ROFLS!!"

It's bullshit in 2020 to have to put up with this shit.

REMOVE ADS from the HOMESCREEN, or come up with something like Sony(who has the clunkiest and shittiest UI experience) has done, where the ADs can be Deleted from the homescreen, and then in the case of the initial landing icon when you turn the machine on, you simply scroll over to get rid of that shit.

If they didn't have to put those 3 ad blocks on the homescreen they could have made a far nicer homescreen experience. The fact that they're happy as pigs in their own shit about this, and it looks like the Series X UI too, is awful.

The FOCUS for a UI for a console that costs MONEY should be on GAMES not ADS, the 3 AD blocks are bigger than the icons above them that are the FOCUS of the MACHINE, we turn on the MACHINE to PLAY games not to VIEW ADs.

There's no defense for this, ADs are shitty, we should have a clean UI that shows US OUR OWN content.

Last edited:

GHG

It's beyond horrible.

And basically Xbox Beta, is React-Native Ui/frontend for MS Store. The MS Store Xbox Insider is same deal now, which is testing out right now.

If that's the case then they need to extend the new store UI across the whole interface.

M1chl

If that's the case then they need to extend the new store UI across the whole interface.
That's probably coming, now they have to make you actually buy shit through the store, not to go faar away for your phone so you can load up somewhat maneagable web interface for it.

Reactions: GHG

Vol5

Did I miss something? That video was, AGAIN, MS talking shop and not showing anything of real substance or anything tangible.

Let's see how it works, let's see the menu flow, let's experience it. Let's see someone playing a game and see the integrations in real time....No, instead we get to listen to the engineers and designers talk about how great it is with mostly static screen shots.

Last edited:
Top Bottom