• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The next 2 major Bethesda releases are officially Xbox console exclusives (Starfield and Redfall)

YukiOnna

Console Exclusive was obvious the minute the acquisition came. It will be the same for TESVI and every Zenimax studio title going forward. I don't understand why there was an argument for otherwise and why Phil had to even clarify. Size of the title or whatever was being said at the time has no meaning in this case.

CamHostage

It makes sense for them to have contracted Redfall as an exclusive since it would probably not have made as many waves as a multiplat game (Deathloop was probably the same bro-shake deal,) and Starfield as a major new IP is a nice crown jewel for Xbox when they are in need of exclusives to showcase (even if it's still a year away and two years after the competition started launching its own "next-gen exclusives") Going exclusive with these are the smart, straightforward, and seemingly obvious choices.

IMO, the factors that weigh on those decisions will be given different discussion when it starts coming down to known IP like the Outer Worlds 2, Indiana Jones, whatever Doom or Wolfenstein is next, Elder Scrolls VI of course.

What's nice for MS is that they have all the cards here. They can make these games throughout development without having to decide on platforms yet, having all their meetings behind closed doors and analyzing the market trends to decide between Xbox exclusivity versus brand saturation, and then in the last day that they have to decide before going public, they can just say, "So, should we also push the PS5 button on the compiler? ...Naw, fuck it!" They can make that call for each one of some of the biggest AAA adult-skewing brands on the market for years to come (and they can also make both choices, by being exclusive for a time to get the most juice then dropping later on other platforms like Stadia and Luna and Facebook Cloud Games and, oh, also that Sony box that looks like an air conditioner)... with the Bethesda library, whatever they choose, they win.

it would make no sense for MS to buy Bethesda so they can release games on PS right away,.
But the possibility of releasing 5 years later exists to make extra profits, just like Sony has released their games on PC.
It does if they're less concerned about competition and more about expanding its profile. Exclusive games help move Xboxes, but the long game for Microsoft is beyond the box.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

You gunna cry number 2?

R3433ad835a6aea40518515cae679db32

S0ULZB0URNE S0ULZB0URNE I’d love to see how you’ll spin this.
Spin what?

Stuart360

It makes sense for them to have contracted Redfall as an exclusive since it would probably not have made as many waves as a multiplat game (Deathloop was probably the same bro-shake deal,) and Starfield as a major new IP is a nice crown jewel for Xbox when they are in need of exclusives to showcase (even if it's still a year away and two years after the competition started launching its own "next-gen exclusives") Going exclusive with these are the smart, straightforward, and seemingly obvious choices.

IMO, the factors that weigh on those decisions will be given more discussion when it starts coming down to known IP like the Outer Worlds 2, Indiana Jones, whatever Doom or Wolfenstein is next, Elder Scrolls VI of course.

What's nice for MS is that they have all the cards here. They can make these games throughout development without having to decide on platforms yet, having all their meetings behind closed doors and analyzing the market trends to decide between Xbox exclusivity versus brand saturation, and then in the last day that they have to decide before going public, they can just say, "So, should we also push the PS5 button on the compiler? ...Naw, fuck it!" They can make that call for each one of some of the biggest AAA adult-skewing brands on the market for years to come (and they can also make both choices, by being exclusive for a time to get the most juice then dropping later on other platforms like Stadia and Luna and Facebook Cloud Games and, oh, also that Sony box that looks like an air conditioner)... with the Bethesda library, whatever they choose, they win.

It does if they're less concerned about competition and more about expanding its profile. Exclusive games help move Xboxes, but the long game for Microsoft is beyond the box.
Oh Jesus, let it go.

Nubulax

Actually if you paid close attention to Phil's wording it wasn't really clear. I think it's stupid not to be exclusive, unless Xbox is going full 3rd party.
Also people were claiming it was going to be a 2021 or early 2022 release. In which case in order to not be on PS it would have to just be totally discarded as most of the work would have been mostly done by then. By now it could easily slip into 2023.

DiscoDave

I honestly thought Stratfield might be on ps5 still. I have both a ps5 and series x so obviously I would of went with xbox eiva way as its on gamepass, but yea this just confirms what most were saying.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I paid very close attention ,and it was always clear to me. Games where there is a contract already in place, will be honored. Everything else is for Xbox.
The thing about contracts is unless someone knows the details in it, contracts can have "outs" for either side.

Our company has special deals and contracts with just about every retailer. A big file which requires signatures and the legal department signing off on it too.

Every deal has clauses in there that allows each company to bail as long as either side gives the other side 60 or 90 days notice.

Smart companies will try to have outs clauses.

Last edited:

Tschumi

you gotta ask yourself: Do I need a Left 4 Dead with 50x the snappy dialogue?

At the same time though other fans gotta ask themselves if they need another open world rpg~ tbf

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
People think Redfall is a team based shooter like Back 4 Blood? Its open world. Its closer to Halo or Borderlands style co op than anything otherwise you will have 3 A.I bots running around with you within the large world which i guess is feasible but I doubt that's what they will do.

Last edited:

jakinov

I don't belive either game will release within 17 months. Not even any gameplay shown.
Gameplay usually comes closer to release. Because details are more firm and the game looks better. They never showed Gears gameplay until months before release. They didn't show Halo gameplay until months before they thought they were going to release. They used to show Forza gameplay pretty much the E3 months before release. Bethesda has a long history of showing off games and then releasing the game within a year.

Its Round 2.

NGOutuK.png

BjiUNWI.png
Hey man I got a series x and gamepass - I’m getting starfield either way but I still believe Microsoft is trying to become a service provider - and I don’t think that’s a bad thing, if Sony wants these types of games on their platforms I’m willing to bet they could make it work if they allowed gamepass on it

Stuart360

Yeah we all know how that goes too! Don’t believe until I see it on shelves! Halo was supposed to have launched with the console and here we are a year later almost…
I think it will hit its date. There were rumours it was coming this fall, then early next year, and now an 'official' release date.
I think covid effected the release (Todd even said 'tahnks to our hard working devs at home', and with Halo now launching this fall, i think the next year will be used for polishing up Starfield.
I'll be very surprised if it doesnt hit its release date.

Blond

Banned
Which idiots thought otherwise?
At best, I always said Starfield is coming if it follows the usual Bethesda trend of announcing a game that’ll be out in six months. But that was a HARD maybe and fellow Sony Pony’s always wanted to fight about it for some reason.

At the same time though other fans gotta ask themselves if they need another open world rpg~ tbf
What type of games do we need then? This could be said of any genre I feel like what?

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I think it will hit its date. There were rumours it was coming this fall, then early next year, and now an 'official' release date.
I think covid effected the release (Todd even said 'tahnks to our hard working devs at home', and with Halo now launching this fall, i think the next year will be used for polishing up Starfield.
I'll be very surprised if it doesnt hit its release date.

It will hit it's date, no question.

Although Bethesda (BGS) are my favorite devs, I believe their motto is"we don't need no stinking QA". Ready or not they'll release it. :messenger_beaming:

P.S.I'm kidding, sort of

CamHostage

Oh Jesus, let it go.
There's no reason for Bethesda Softworks to continue to exist as a publisher if its only business is making games that Xbox Games Studios could publish. Bethesda Games Studio and id and MachineGames and everybody can be part of the XGS family, Pete Hines can become an executive at Microsoft, and the small Bethesda support staff for running products like Fallout 76 and ESO can stay on for those purposes.

If all MS wanted was Bethesda games for its console and streaming service, the acquisition would have looked a lot more like Disney and Fox, where the resulting company is now Disney and its little fox brands to feed the machine. This has so far gone a different way.

I'm putting little to no faith in Bethesda products showing up on PlayStation. But I would also have little surprise if some of them did. Microsoft's business plan is open to competitive wormholing; they did it with MS Office on Mac, they did it with Minecraft, and they could do it with any of these properties. Microsoft wants to continue expanding, and to do that, they don't need another Microsoft, what they need is something like a Bethesda...

The thing about contracts is unless someone knows the details in it, contracts can have "outs" for either side.

It'd probably be a tough deal to bust, (and it has so far made MS look a little silly when two of Bethesda's next projects are only on the competition's console, especially when Xbox could really use some exclusives to call its own,) but then again, what would MS care about making an "enemy" of Sony?

Last edited:

Banned

it is neither. they called it an open world immersive sim with a coop mode (which would be something I've never seen tbh... like are there Immersive Sims with a coop mode? I don't know of any)

it's not a Coop shooter like Left 4 Dead... and an immersive sim does not necessarily have to have deep RPG elements, so we don't know how much RPG it is either.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I don't belive either game will release within 17 months. Not even any gameplay shown.
17 months is a long time though. Starfield is supposedly almost in alpha, which would leave like a 15+ months to get to beta and polish. That seems pretty conservative if things go smoothly. People should be getting back to the office soon too.

Redfall is anyone's guess, that shit was pure CGI. At least Starfield was in-engine, with in-game assets.

Stuart360

There's no reason for Bethesda Softworks to continue to exist as a publisher if its only business is making games that Xbox Games Studios could publish. Bethesda Games Studio and id and MachineGames and everybody can be part of the XGS family, Pete Hines can become an executive at Microsoft, and the small Bethesda support staff for running products like Fallout 76 and ESO can stay on for those purposes.

If all MS wanted was Bethesda games for its console and streaming service, the acquisition would have looked a lot more like Disney and Fox, where the resulting company is now Disney and its little fox brands to feed the machine. This has so far gone a different way.

I'm putting little to no faith in Bethesda products showing up on PlayStation. But I would also have little surprise if some of them did. Microsoft's business plan is open to competitive wormholing; they did it with MS Office on Mac, they did it with Minecraft, and they could do it with any of these properties. Microsoft wants to continue expanding, and to do that, they don't need another Microsoft, what they need is something like a Bethesda...

It'd probably be a tough deal to bust, (and it has so far made MS look a little silly when two of Bethesda's next projects are only on the competition's console, especially when Xbox could really use some exclusives to call its own,) but then again, what would MS care about making an "enemy" of Sony?
Look i'll give you one, the Indiana Jones game. Maybe a deal was already in place with that game, maybe Disney said if they want the license they have to release on everything, its possible.
Outside of that game, its a no show.

Also people need to stop using Mimecraft as an example. Not only was it already on Playstation when Microsoft bought them, but apparently the dev stipulated that Minecraft ,and future Minecraft games, have to be released on everything, and that was one of his conditions for selling. Google it.

Look i'll give you one, the Indiana Jones game. Maybe a deal was already in place with that game, maybe Disney said if they want the license they have to release on everything, its possible.
Outside of that game, its a no show.

Also people need to stop using Mimecraft as an example. Not only was it already on Playstation when Microsoft bought them, but apparently the dev stipulated that Minecraft ,and future Minecraft games, have to be released on everything, and that was one of his conditions for selling. Google it.
People keep using that example, which has been debunked so many times. Don't people get tired of posting the same gibberish while also knowing this ahead of time?

Banned
There's no reason for Bethesda Softworks to continue to exist as a publisher if its only business is making games that Xbox Games Studios could publish.

tell me the publisher of Grand Theft Auto 5 please... and Red Dead Redemption 2 (hint, the answer isn't Take 2)
now go ahead an google who is the publisher of Persona 5 Strikers in Japan... or Persona 5 Royal (hint, the answer isn't SEGA)

go ahead, maybe a 💡 will appear above your head and you'll say "ohhh... yeah... that's nothing out of the ordinary after all" :)

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
People keep using that example, which has been debunked so many times. Don't people get tired of posting the same gibberish while also knowing this ahead of time?
At this point claiming Bethesda games are going to be on PS should be treated the same way the ban-worthy number, nine-point-two was treated.

It's now been stated many times Bethesda games are console exclusive to Xbox. Unless the poster making the claim has absolute proof to the contrary, bring down that ban hammer. 🤣

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Not sure why any gamer would have a PC and a PS5. The SSD and I/O on PS5 is light years ahead of what PC's are capable of.

/s

I have a feeling both these games will end up on Playstation at some point. You're just leaving sooooo much money on the table.

/s

I dont see an issue with the exclusivity here as you will probably be able to play these on you new TV in 2024 using xCloud.

At this point claiming Bethesda games are going to be on PS should be treated the same way the ban-worthy number, nine-point-two was treated.

It's now been stated many times Bethesda games are console exclusive to Xbox. Unless the poster making the claim has absolute proof to the contrary, bring down that ban hammer. 🤣
Ban that shit! I'm with you 10000%

Top Bottom