• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo Digital Event available only in English? (No JP version?)

Well as long as it's available with subtitles that's the main thing ...as at least people in non-English speaking countries will be able to know what's being said as it's broadcast (which is more than you can say for the live conferences).

The downside is it's unlikely we'll see many indie games on the video. If it's not being tailored specifically for each region they won't want to show games that won't be available in Japan.

Is there a difference between a broadcast and what Nintendo usually does for a Direct?

For me, that's not a downside because I want to see high AAA games and not Indie games, don't get me wrong I like Indies but for E3 I want something big....

JoeM86

Is there a difference between a broadcast and what Nintendo usually does for a Direct?

For me, that's not a downside because I want to see high AAA games and not Indie games, don't get me wrong I like Indies but for E3 I want something big....

For the people at home? No, not really a difference.

Chindogg

Then you weren't a fan of Sony's conference last year?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's not a Nintendo Direct, so it doesn't follow the Direct rules they've established. It's a new thing called "Nintendo Digital Event." I assume they're going to try to make it more like a live conference than a typical Direct.

JoeM86

It's not a Nintendo Direct, so it doesn't follow the Direct rules they've established. It's a new thing called "Nintendo Digital Event." I assume they're going to try to make it more like a live conference than a typical Direct.

I dunno. I hope not. The thing I like about the Direct...about all Directs in fact, is that they're to the point. They give a trailer, then a quick overview and that game is done in three minutes or so, and they move on. Whereas if it was a presentation, they'd present it, talk about it with large gaps, show a trailer, then an awkward demo and 10+ minutes have passed for just one game.

Last year, Nintendo showed more games in 40 minutes than most E3 presentations do in twice that.

Riki

I dunno. I hope not. The thing I like about the Direct...about all Directs in fact, is that they're to the point. They give a trailer, then a quick overview and that game is done in three minutes or so, and they move on. Whereas if it was a presentation, they'd present it, talk about it with large gaps, show a trailer, then an awkward demo and 10+ minutes have passed for just one game.

You don't want 20 minutes on Luigi's Ghost House again?

JoeM86

You don't want 20 minutes on Luigi's Ghost House again?

Good god no.

As I said, Directs are to the point, but that's the sort of person I am. If you read my site, you know I don't fill my stuff with fluff. My news posts are to the point. My articles are to the point. I guess that's how I like things to be presented.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Wouldn't the event be a mixture of both English and English subtitled? I mean, we surely will hear Anouma and Sakurai speak in their respective languages about their projects.

This thing about Directs being succinct and to the point is absolute nonsense.

Go back and watch the E3 Direct from last year again. A good third of the run time is Iwata reiterating stuff that was totally obvious from the trailer immediately before it. Far more of a faff than the tight, punchy image that some of you are trying to convince us is an advantage of the stream.

JoeM86

This thing about Directs being succinct and to the point is absolute nonsense.

Go back and watch the E3 Direct from last year again. A good third of the run time is Iwata reiterating stuff that was totally obvious from the trailer immediately before it. Far more of a faff than the tight, punchy image that some of you are trying to convince us is an advantage of the stream.

I did notice that with Pokémon. However, despite that, it still went faster than it would have in a presentation

Sendou

There's like 20 hours+ of Treehouse coverage this year anyway so there's plenty of room for nonsense there. I kind of like that the Digital Event would be just 1 hour of pretty barebones announcements.

Riki

I don't think they'll spend too much time explaining games in the Digital Event since they have a Nintendo Minute afterwards doing just that and the TreeHouse stuff.

Ansatz

Here's my opinion: I said it a couple of times and I will say it again: it lacks atmosphere and the "magic". It's like christmas with presents (games informations) but without family (audience) and without a christmas tree (stage)

The Mario Kart 8 and Smash Directs are pure magic, a format with humor and pacing that simply isn't possible to recreate on a live stage. The idea of having an edgy Reggie throwing buzz words around left and right is outdated imo. "We're all about the games"-- it just doesn't work in 2014. If the Fils-a-mech video is an indication, we are in for something special and most importantly, modern.

I know you are on a totally different opinion than me, but that's right. Remember, this is E3 magic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0V_Wzxv_X4 a new example.

And this will be totally lost with a pre-recorded video. I really don't like the way they are going I just wish next year they will doing a press conference again.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE directs and I think they are a perfect way to fast deliver informations, but not for E3. E3 is a very special event which should have a big stage and a audience.

E3 magic will only exist to those who are there. You know, like journalists who's opinions cannot be bought and gatorade and doritos are the best things in the world.

Top Bottom