• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo Switch coming with 32GB seems crazy to me for 2017

Obviously it's not a home console- it like its handheld contemporaries is independently powered by its own battery and can be played on the go with batterylife comparable to other handheld devices. Having TV-out is something other devices like phones and handhelds like the PSP have as well.

It's a handheld whether you or Nintendo like it or not. Whether it replaces the 3DS or not is fucking irrelevant.

It is relevant because NINTENDO, the company who creates this damn device, says so. Who are you to make this call? Marketing? Engineer? What title do you hold that makes your definition any more concrete than there's? Please....just admit your own ignorance...

And The PSP and whatever other mobile device doesn't have a dock that gives it 2 times more power so stop. It's not a handheld first, it's a console first.

Mr E.

You may not plan on buying digital games but patches are occasionally the size of the entire game. Meaning you could fill your included space in just two titles, hypothetically. Even if you go all physical you can't escape this.

It's a valid concern.

That's why it's called Switch because your switching memory cards.

You may not plan on buying digital games but patches are occasionally the size of the entire game. Meaning you could fill your included space in just two titles, hypothetically. Even if you go all physical you can't escape this.

It's a valid concern.
It's also a valid concern because now devs have a hard cap on the size of their games that is less than modern releases.

liquidtmd

Banned
32GB is fine. they are going w "physical disks" concept just as they always have. their games are smaller. because they are Nintendo they get far more quality out of those smaller games than other companies do with more bloated software.

Maximum mental gymnastics engaged

I'm not saying Nintendo don't make quality games, but c'mooooonn

4Tran

If anyone is planning on going all digital for the switch, an aftermarket storage solution would be required whether Nintendo provided 32 or 64. Its the difference of 3 games or 6 for AAA releases....or maybe even less in many cases.

Would 64gb really correct the all digital dilemma?
It depends on what you construe the problem to be. For the AAA publishers, 64GB would be better, but it won't help to a substantial degree. What they really need is to release the standard AAA game at the standard size. For that, you'd want at least enough storage to handle 5-6 games at once. If you figure a game to be around 40GB plus another 5 or so GB for DLC and expansions, you'd need something in the 300GB range as a minimum. I think that the 32gb size is annoying for gamers, but it's not where the primary problem resides.

Zen Aku

HB4Y34F.png
Just so there's no confusion. It's both.

diaspora

It is relevant because NINTENDO, the company who creates this damn device, says so. Who are you to make this call? Marketing? Engineer? What title do you hold that makes your definition any more concrete than there's? Please....just admit your own ignorance...

And The PSP and whatever other mobile device doesn't have a dock that gives it 2 times more power so stop. It's not a handheld first, it's a console first.
  1. The nature of the system is that of a handheld irrespective of what Nintendo, engineers, or marketers want to say. You plugging your ears and yelling "console" isn't going to magically turn a handheld into a home console.
  2. The PSP had different CPU frequencies. If it locked 333mhz off unless using TV-out it'd still be a handheld. Similarly, my phone upclocking when connected to a power source doesn't suddenly become a desktop.

liquidtmd

Banned
It's a handheld whether you or Nintendo like it or not.

Nintendo have a marketing problem of epic proportions then because the vast majority of global news sites in the last 7 days are referencing it with the word Console.

If this forces devs to actually put in effort to optimize game sizes, then so be it.

Titles like Resident Evil 2 on the N64 proved heavy compression is possible and successful but more likely than not, many just won't bother with ports

And that makes it harder for Nintendo to regain a positive momentum. Not impossible just harder.

If this forces devs to actually put in effort to optimize game sizes, then so be it.
This will encourage devs to release their games that they've worked tirelessly on and are releasing in the best state they can at the smallest size they can whole remaining profitable on other devices and not attempt to port said games to an already underpowered device with a limited audience.

GTFO with this idiotic lazy devs crap. These devs aren't resting on their laurels, nor are their games large because they don't feel like optimizing.

diaspora

Nintendo have a marketing problem of epic proportions then because the vast majority of global news sites in the last 7 days are referencing it with the word Console.

Their marketing consists of pissing on people's leg and telling them that it's raining.

Galava

You don't actually need more. Games do not need to be instaleld to play them. And if you go all digital, you can buy a $15 64GB micro sd card or whatever. People just wants to complain. Ok, lets put 128gb on switch, but pay 350.

I'm not going to fight personal definitions here but it's a home console that's portable....stop with the lame definitions. It's not a handheld , it isn't replacing the 3DS nor is it a direct successor so why even put this in your head? If you don't want to admit that it's not good enough to be a home console thus, why it's just a handheld , then say that...but let's not pretend that it wasn't made to do both....it's not one more than the other...ugh.
People still think it's a handheld? After Nintendo got up on stage and marketed as a home console? Same with their website? This is Trump levels of denial.

You don't actually need more. Games do not need to be instaleld to play them. And if you go all digital, you can buy a $15 64GB micro sd card or whatever. People just wants to complain. Ok, lets put 128gb on switch, but pay 350.

Oh please, the complaints are legitimate. Nintendo was too cheap to include adequate storage and I shouldn't be forced to pay their hidden costs.

FLAguy954

It's also a valid concern because now devs have a hard cap on the size of their games that is less than modern releases.

I agree. This whole situation is a huge call back to the GameCube with its limiting 1.5 GB disks (too small to fit GTA at the time) and the Nintendo 64 with its severely limiting range of 4 to 64 MB (too small for FMV at the time).

Could the switch have come with more than 32 GB? Yes. Would it have added around $100 to the price to include 100+ GB? Yes. On-board flash memory in phones and tablets is expensive.

If consumers were smart enough, I would have preferred the switch to have zero internal storage and require you to buy an SD to bring the price down. No bundled card either. Just buy a cheap card now and expand as necessary.
Its not like there are even that many games you could put on it...

You don't need more.

Unless you go digital.

When 20+% of all game sales are digital.

Olympian mental gymnastics.

And that's why the damn thing has sd card support.
I wonder if that could've been included then?

You know, comes with XX GB of SD storage. By default. So devs won't have to limit their output. So consumers won't have to shell out yet more dough on peripheral products to use this damn thing.

Karanlos

Off the 500gb (~380 available) storage my Xbox one harddrive, 2 games take 40% of that. 2 games. If 32gb gigs is not enough then 500gb is not enough especially when you buy your game physically like i did and you can almost only install 4 games at any given time.
Having to only be able to play some games without having to micromanage your storage and wait for install is stupid as fuck.
It's fucking nuts that people have come to accept the fact that you can't play all your games in your physical library if you have too many games unless you upgrade your storage. Patch sizes have blown up dramatically.
If that situation is acceptable then so is this because it's far far easier to change the microsd card and put in a bigger or swap for another where the patches are installed.

Galava

You know, comes with XX GB of SD storage. By default. So devs won't have to limit their output. So consumers won't have to shell out yet more dough on peripheral products to use this damn thing.

Putting more memory inside the console and making it more expensive is irrelevant for the majority of buyers, who will just buy a ocuple of games a year on cartridge and don't care about storage. Gamers like us will want storage, and that's what the sd card is for.

You keep the device lower price while keeping the ability for gamers to expand the storage.

Also, games for the switch don't need more than 30gb, it's just overkill that we got used to because devs are not doing any proper compression lately.

diaspora

It's not a handheld. Stop. It's a hybrid if anything but is being marketed as a home console that happens to have a portable mode, not the other way around.

It's a handheld. Stop. It's a handheld irrespective or whether or not it has TV out like other portable gaming devices, marketing doesn't redefine what is or isn't a handheld.

Emitan

It's not a handheld. Stop. It's a hybrid if anything but is being marketed as a home console that happens to have a portable mode, not the other way around.

Its a handheld because of form factor. Marketing can call it whatever they want. It's still a device held in your hands that uses small, mobile parts.

It's a handheld. Stop. It's a handheld irrespective or whether or not it has TV out like other portable gaming devices, marketing doesn't redefine what is or isn't a handheld.
You're wrong and mocking doesn't exactly help your argument. You have no leg to stand on other than thinking that if you shout something enough it'll become true. It's a hybrid and being marketed as a console that happens to have a portable option.

dapoktan

As a Vita user.. All I ever wanted was SD card support on the Vita.. I'm not sure what to make of people complaining about not getting 100+ gb of flash memory on a $300 portable device w/ a screen..

As for those controllers.. now those are ridiculous prices.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
lol, are people really countering the fact it has 32GB by saying how expensive iPhones are? Is this real life?
The price of inbuilt flash storage for whatever reason has always been mental, I imagine that 32GB was felt to be 'enough' without ballooning the market price even more

Zen Aku

Because a 128GB micro sd card cost $50 to make.Hence raising the price of the Switch to $350.

It's not like Nintendo is greedy or anything.
/s
inb4 someone bring up Apple.

So this thing that was conceived, designed, and marketed as a hybrid is somehow not a hybrid because you say so? How many Internet points do you get for convincing anyone that this asinine viewpoint is right?
I mean, when people has huge hdds, there is no need to spend time on that. That''s why we end up getting 70gb games.
Could you link me a few games you've developed?

Rncewind

You're wrong and mocking doesn't exactly help your argument. You have literally no leg to stand on other than thinking that if you shout something enough it'll become true. It's a hybrid and being marketed as a console that happens to have a portable option.

You dont need to be a genius too see that the thing is placed as a wiiu replacement at the moment with console like titles, console like hardwarepricing, and consolelike games/game pricing, with portability to have a handheld modus aka what we call a hybrid

but sure its a handheld i guess

diaspora

So this thing that was conceived, designed, and marketed as a hybrid is somehow not a hybrid because you say so? How many Internet points do you get for convincing anyone that this asinine viewpoint is right?

A tablet doesn't stop being a tablet when it has TV out. It doesn't stop being a tablet when marketing calls it a desktop pc, or a console, or a banana. It's a portable device you can plug into your TV. It's a tablet portable with TV out. That's the nature of the device. This is what makes it a handheld. What you believe is true is pointless.

You're wrong and mocking doesn't exactly help your argument. You have no leg to stand on other than thinking that if you shout something enough it'll become true. It's a hybrid and being marketed as a console that happens to have a portable option.

What stage of the grieving process is this? Nintendo's left the home console space and released a handheld with TV out. The fact of the matter is that it's a portable gaming device, what they choose to label it in marketing has no value.

You dont need to be a genius too see that the thing is placed as a wiiu replacement at the moment with console like titles, console like hardwarepricing, and consolelike games/game pricing

but sure its a handheld i guess
Exactly but you still see the same posters on gaf desperately claiming it's a handheld so they can deflect criticism.

1. The nature of the system is that of a handheld irrespective of what Nintendo, engineers, or marketers want to say. You plugging your ears and yelling "console" isn't going to magically turn a handheld into a home console.
  2. The PSP had different CPU frequencies. If it locked 333mhz off unless using TV-out it'd still be a handheld. Similarly, my phone upclocking when connected to a power source doesn't suddenly become a desktop.

Yeah, I'm not going to go back and forth with you on this because at this point, it's getting ridiculous...Your argument amounts to semantics and the "literal" definition of what a handheld is rather than how this was actually created which is a console that can be used mobile.....I get that your argument amount to Nintendo covering their ass for not applying the "true" definition to what a handheld is. But just because from your point of view, you apply arbitrary rules like "form factor " and "independence" as an argument, it doesn't change the fact that it has a base it belongs to, is shipped with, and has functionalities that isn't just to display a bigger picture on screen without any additional processing....so whatever makes you sleep at night sir.....Whenever the true successor to the actual handheld they do have on the market appears...I can't wait to see what that will be called instead....Moving on....

Rncewind

Exactly but you still see the same posters on gaf desperately claiming it's a handheld so they can deflect criticism.

well some people are silly and can justify they bought a 300€ mostly console system which performs like a ps360.

I mean i dont take such thing seriously, the same posters can say its a handheld all they long but its pretty clear at that point that the market at its launch gona percive it as a Homeconsole. And as history thought us no amount of gaf/internet fanboying effect sales or reality

i still gonna buy one at launch tho because i need that zelda and masuo FE >:

A tablet doesn't stop being a tablet when it has TV out. It doesn't stop being a tablet when marketing calls it a desktop pc, or a console, or a banana. It's a portable device you can plug into your TV. It's a tablet portable with TV out. That's the nature of the device. This is what makes it a handheld. What you believe is true is pointless.

What stage of the grieving process is this? Nintendo's left the home console space and released a handheld with TV out. The fact of the matter is that it's a portable gaming device, what they choose to label it in marketing has no value.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.game...-not-a-3ds-replac/1100-6446967/?client=safari

"I think there's a sense that Nintendo Switch is a portable device. It is portable. But at its heart, it's a home console that you can take with you on the go."

It's time for you to stop, it's getting embarrassing

Sinfamy

All they had to do was include a USB 3.0 port in the dock that let you access a hard drive as big as you wanted to store your games, and transfer then to internal storage or SD Card when on the go. Obviously becoming inaccessible when decoupling from the dock if not transfered.

SD Cards have slow as shit random I/O speeds.
Loading in textures is going to look like ass with constant pop-ins and loading times will take forever, it's more then just about the advertised sequential write speed.

Even then, getting the highest amount, which is a pathetic amount will cost me $200.
Plus a pro controller which I'd have to get because I don't have toddler hands and a game, I'm looking at cashing out $650 day one.
So fuck that.

dapoktan

Why are you arguing about whether it is treated as a handheld or a home console?

It is inefficient and unrealistic to have a spinning HDD like the PS4 and XB1 have.. thats why it doesnt have the 200gb model.

Matt

This will encourage devs to release their games that they've worked tirelessly on and are releasing in the best state they can at the smallest size they can whole remaining profitable on other devices and not attempt to port said games to an already underpowered device with a limited audience.

GTFO with this idiotic lazy devs crap. These devs aren't resting on their laurels, nor are their games large because they don't feel like optimizing.
I would never call devs lazy...but a huge reason why game sizes are what they are is because they have little reason to make them smaller. It's not about being lazy, it's about whether that work is worth doing to them.

KAL2006

Banned

Didn't 360 originally not have a HDD

Just cause it has 32GB internal storage downstairs mean down the line games can't be bigger.

360 Arcade came with memory card storage for small arcade games.

Then we started getting digital games that are huge anyways.

Zen Aku

Why are you arguing about whether it is treated as a handheld or a home console?

It is inefficient and unrealistic to have a spinning HDD like the PS4 and XB1 have.. thats why it doesnt have the 200gb model.

No one... no one is asking for an HDD on the Switch. They're simply ask that for $300 with a AAA game the size of at least 13GB, the least Nintendo could do is up the storage to 64GB.
without jacking up the price.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
The bickering over console vs. portable is unlikely to ever truly end. It's a result of it trying to be both and not being ideal at either.

Some of the console crowd sees it more as a portable that you can dock to a TV as it's so underpowered and overpriced as a console. It can't even hit 1080p and stable 30FPS for Zelda that started development as a Wii U game and runs a 900p with some drops apparently when docked.

Some of the portable crowd sees it as a home console that you can take away from the he tv/house given how big it is, the relatively poor battery life and that it's pricey for a handheld at $300 when the market already told the 3DS and Vita to fuck off with $250 launch prices.

Jack of all trades, master of none yadayadayada.

I'm excited for it to just start getting more Nintendo games with the Wii U having been dead for over a year and the 3DS getting nothing I wanted lately either. But as with the Wii U I'm begreduginly paying more than I'd like for hardware due to features I don't care for as a console gamer who really only plays on the big screen.

Top Bottom