• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NXE Launch Thead - Nov 19th at 10am GMT

pestul

Interesting idea for international people who want to use netflix. Why don't we just pair up with a US Gaffer as the real address. It's a win win situation for both parties. The individual who is international will get the benefit of instant queue and the US gaffer can get the physical discs in queue (obviously the int will have to setup their queue but that could be controlled by email). This way the US gaffer can have two seemingly paid accounts and physical movies coming and going all the time plus enjoy the benefits of streaming from their own accounts... just a thought. I don't see how this would be fraud because the account is paid for and being used properly (well.. except for the international using US proxy for queing). This would still satisfy the one device rule too.

Obviously you'd have to really trust your buddy from the States, but I think it's a grand idea.

Grecco

mYm|17| said:
yup that happens alot to me and my friends when we play COD4. One minute we are talking to each other and the next, it says people have left my party

Does anybody know why? If theres a problem? Something to fix? its reeeally annoying. And my friends say on their side it says I left the party its bizzare.

Firestorm

I thinking whether or not to use the loophole to get into Netflix. Do they show episodes of the newest seasons of shows like Office Season 5, House Season 4, and Heroes Season 3? How long does it take for an episode to come out? Are they in HD?

voltron

Anyone else find that 'Friends Playing Now' notification that pops up whenever you start a new game annoying?

I would have no issue with it if it actually had a purpose, but it pops up whether anyone is playing the same game as you or not. And even if someone is playing the same game as you all it does is bring up your friends list.

Effin stupid IMO.

Susurrus

If anyone internationally wants to set up theirs with my address, PM me, I like free movies. I don't even care what you send me. :lol

Anyone else noticed an annoying fact with HD installs?

If you want to play from the Hard Drive on a second Xbox,with the game disc in the machine and the hard-drive swapped?

You can't.

Tried to play Dead Space last night on my bedroom 360, swapped out my hard-drive, and had to bloody well play from the jumbo-jet DVD!

That is feckin retarded!

Game Disc in drive - CHECK
Game installed on my only Hard Drive - CHECK

Why the fuck should it be tied to the console?

</RANT>

Alcander

So I'm sure this was discussed, but I have an issue with Netflix, where when I start up streaming it gives me 4 or 5 bars (HD), but after 30 seconds or so it stops, says my connection has slowed, and drops to the lowest setting... I probably dont have a fast enough connection for HD, but I thought I could at least get 2 or 3 bars, and having to wait through the HD load process to pause to drop down to load again is really annoying...

Anyone else have this issue and know of a workaround?

hc2

Alcander said:
So I'm sure this was discussed, but I have an issue with Netflix, where when I start up streaming it gives me 4 or 5 bars (HD), but after 30 seconds or so it stops, says my connection has slowed, and drops to the lowest setting... I probably dont have a fast enough connection for HD, but I thought I could at least get 2 or 3 bars, and having to wait through the HD load process to pause to drop down to load again is really annoying...

Do you have Comcast? They have Powerboost which speeds up your intial download but then drops back to the default speed.
Try downloading a large file such as a linux iso, monitor your speed, and see if you get a high speed that then drops back to a lower speed.
I have the 5MB speed fom Comcast which will only show one bar in the HD graph, and it drops out intermittently.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I think most ISPs do the same thing in peak hours. I found that if you pause the video it will carry on buffering at the higher bitrate, so now whenever I watch anything I set it running, then immediately pause it and get a drink/make some food/browse GAF for a couple of minutes. Saves the frustration.

Wish you could just force it to use a particular setting though.

joaomgcd

Alcander said:

I get the same thing sometimes. A workaround I found is, pause the stream right at the beginning and let it sit there for some minutes. It seems the player keeps buffering even if you hit pause. After a while, hit play and you should be able to watch it without it lowering the quality. I don't know how much memory for the buffer it uses, exactly, but if I let it on pause for around 5-10 minutes, I can usually watch a movie to the end.

Also, try to skip really fast scenes if you can (like the opening credits of TV shows), since those use the most bandwidth and use up the buffer a lot faster.

shpankey

not an idiot
pestul said:
Interesting idea for international people who want to use netflix. Why don't we just pair up with a US Gaffer as the real address. It's a win win situation for both parties. The individual who is international will get the benefit of instant queue and the US gaffer can get the physical discs in queue (obviously the int will have to setup their queue but that could be controlled by email). This way the US gaffer can have two seemingly paid accounts and physical movies coming and going all the time plus enjoy the benefits of streaming from their own accounts... just a thought. I don't see how this would be fraud because the account is paid for and being used properly (well.. except for the international using US proxy for queing). This would still satisfy the one device rule too.

Obviously you'd have to really trust your buddy from the States, but I think it's a grand idea.
Sounds good to me. I'm a US gaffer and I'm game for anyone outside the US to get in on it. I already have an account but will help out someone else in any way I can. Wouldn't mind the extra disk either. PM me if interested.

Seth C

So, since the NXE update I can no longer stream any videos from my PC to the 360. It's really starting to piss me off. I can stream audio, I can browse photos, but no video will play or even show up. I simply get a "No Videos Found" error. I should note that I have many WMV files that it should play with no problems, but nothing shows up. Any ideas?

Chrange

Banned
Seth C said:
So, since the NXE update I can no longer stream any videos from my PC to the 360. It's really starting to piss me off. I can stream audio, I can browse photos, but no video will play or even show up. I simply get a "No Videos Found" error. I should note that I have many WMV files that it should play with no problems, but nothing shows up. Any ideas?

Did you download 'Optional Media Update' again?

Seth C

Chrange said:
Did you download 'Optional Media Update' again?

Yeah. As it turned out, I figured it out...sort of. Basically now I cannot get it to "see" media files that are not somewhere inside the "My Documents" folder. Certainly it refused to see anything on an external hard drive. I have no idea why. I had to set up an NTFS junction to link a folder inside My Videos to the folder on my external drive. Nonsense.

saunderez

Seth C said:
Yeah. As it turned out, I figured it out...sort of. Basically now I cannot get it to "see" media files that are not somewhere inside the "My Documents" folder. Certainly it refused to see anything on an external hard drive. I have no idea why. I had to set up an NTFS junction to link a folder inside My Videos to the folder on my external drive. Nonsense.
You've got to add the folders you want it to index from your UPnP server (presumably you are using WMP11). It's always been this way, otherwise it only indexes the default locations (which is My Documents). Sounds to me like your UPnP server has lost the folders it was supposed to index if it was previously working.

Seth C

saunderez said:
You've got to add the folders you want it to index from your UPnP server (presumably you are using WMP11). It's always been this way, otherwise it only indexes the default locations (which is My Documents). Sounds to me like your UPnP server has lost the folders it was supposed to index if it was previously working.

Nah. Tried it, several times. They were still there but I removed them and re-added them and rebooted both the PC and the 360. Trust me, I tried. I added the folders, I verified they showed up in the library within WMP11, but the 360 still only "saw" files located in folders on the primary drive, though other folders were added in WMP11. No idea why.

As soon as I set up junctions to link folders from the primary drive to my external drive it would see the files (though the direct link to the folders had been added to WMP11 long prior).

So, is anyone else having connection issues post-NXE? Ever since the update I haven't been able to play a complete match of Gears without dropping out. Was fine until the 19th.

Shoogoo

I got my Xbox back (N74 FTL) and recently tried the NXE, pretty smooth so far but I can't change the screen format. Anyone knows how come?

Edit : I meant the resolution, I saw someone on neogaf posted a screen where you could choose between many resolutions. My screen is kind of awkward and I would have enjoyed being able to change the resolution. Or is it done automatically? I don't know much about all that stuff :O

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So, I am planning on testing out the Netflix service....

1) The two week trial allows for streaming?
2) What's the cheapest plan for streaming?
3) The James Bond fiasco is still going on?

Any answer would be appreciated =P

FrankT

Shoogoo said:
I got my Xbox back (N74 FTL) and recently tried the NXE, pretty smooth so far but I can't change the screen format. Anyone knows how come?

Edit : I meant the resolution, I saw someone on neogaf posted a screen where you could choose between many resolutions. My screen is kind of awkward and I would have enjoyed being able to change the resolution. Or is it done automatically? I don't know much about all that stuff :O

Go to My Xbox then all the way over to the right to System Settings. Then Console settings, Dislpay Settings, HDTV settings.

Edit: Hmm, just realized a new setting in here now, HDMI Color Space.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
For the first two days after the update, I could connect to Live and get all the dashboard categories though on the Marketplace random items would throw up an error saying the feature was temporarily unavailable. If I re-tried enough however, the feature would eventually come up.

Then on the third day, nothing but My Xbox and My Friends comes up, period. When I log in, Live says that nothing is available but "you can still access your games and settings" etc. If I try to go into the Marketplace through the backdoor, such as looking for available downloads, the pane for game specific downloads grinds and grinds but never pulls any data down.

XBL is utterly broken. Nothing has changed with my internet connection set-up or in the 360's network settings.

Relix said:
Wow, the streaming selection sucks. I thought I would be able to watch recent releases. Meh....

So anything not recent equals bad? The movies that are recent now will be old a year from now. Will they then become bad movies? Expand your horizons dude. There are a hell of a lot of good movies on there.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
^^ Huh for old movies that's the reason I pay for HD Cable and premium channels and all that bunch of crap. If I wanted to see an old movie I would just go to In-Demand.

Anyway, I signed up for trial. Everything was fine, perfect in fact... until it told me Instant Streaming wasn't available to Puerto Rico. In other words.... I wasted the trial. I couldn't find info on that anywhere, plus they ship DVDs here without a problem, so why the hell not stream if it's the same laws and copyright stuff of the USA? Same stuff, no reason to void it. So I quickly canceled my account. You lose your money Netflix.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Ooh..

IN PROCESS PURCHASE NFIWWW.NETFLIX.COM/CC ON 11/28/08 $9.89

Free trial my ass. Should I wait for money to be returned or should I call my bank and do a chargeback or stop payment. I got the service using the free trial thing and used my VISA Debit card, account history shows I was never billed so what the fuck is this?

Should I wait? I am not feeling right now the urge to call, but I am gonna be pissed if they don't fix that. What should I do? I canceled the account after I saw Instant Streaming didn't work.

EDIT:
This will be released by your credit card company or financial institution within a few days. Please check with your financial institution for details on their policy on authorizations.

Ok better be. :lol

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Huh did I ever say that recent movies = suck? Didn't you read the explanation i gave above? Jesus.....

Jack B

Relix said:
Huh did I ever say that recent movies = suck? Didn't you read the explanation i gave above? Jesus.....

You said this... "Wow, the streaming selection sucks. I thought I would be able to watch recent releases. Meh...."

How the hell, is anyone supposed to know that meant you couldn't watch streaming movies in Puerto Rico from that comment....? Is mental telepathy normal is Puerto Rico, so you expect everyone can read your mind or are you just dense?

Brashnir

APZonerunner said:
So guys. 2 360s, one Netflix Account. Possible?

Yes - works fine.

note - I move my gamertag from one 360 to the other via memory card to use netflix on both since I only have one Gold account. Not sure if it would work if you had different gamertags on both systems.

Accident

Brashnir said:
Yes - works fine.

note - I move my gamertag from one 360 to the other via memory card to use netflix on both since I only have one Gold account. Not sure if it would work if you had different gamertags on both systems.

it works fine with two different gamertags, but you need the 2-disc plan to stream to different devices at the same time.

Nif

Relix said:
^^ Huh for old movies that's the reason I pay for HD Cable and premium channels and all that bunch of crap. If I wanted to see an old movie I would just go to In-Demand.

The netflix streaming service is an on-demand service. If you already have one that you like more, you don't need this.

shpankey

not an idiot
PhlivoSong said:
So anything not recent equals bad? The movies that are recent now will be old a year from now. Will they then become bad movies? Expand your horizons dude. There are a hell of a lot of good movies on there.

for me, not only do i get to watch a lot of great movies I know of, but more importantly, there are a TON of older movies that i missed for one reason or another that are great movies. a lot of times, they were great movies that flew under the radar for one reason or another, but gaff'ers recommending them got me to watch them and wow, i'm truly impressed by some of these.

Okay what the fuck.
I've been having a crapload of freezes lately.

First was when I tried to start Galaga(I assume because since I never played it on the 360 before it probably froze when it asked if I wanted to update)

Spectral Force 3. Hard freeze(had to shut off console) after I completed a mission near the beginning of the game. Operation Darkness. Soft freeze during the tutorial and a hard one two minutes into the first mission.

No other issues with other games, granted I've been mostly playing Arcade titles lately(kind of jumped back into the PS2 for awhile)

It's possible all of these are related to the disc drive(since I accessed Galaga through the Namco Virtual Arcade Museum disc) and if so that would suck eggs because I just bought this 360 a little over a month ago and I've had zero issues with the drive prior to the update.

On the other hand I've had no issues with Nuts & Bolts so huh.. meh(Also had no issues with the other games on the Namco Museum disc..then again I don't think any of the ones I tried asked for an update).

Gonna try Armored Core 4 answer in a bit and see if I can last a mission or two. =/

PedroRVD

I would make a new tread but I think somebody here can answer my question...

Is there a way to access content from the video marketplace if i am outside of USA?

I ask this after reading the interesting post of somebody who suggested a way for international users to use netflix

MIMIC

Banned
Two week later and Marketplace stuff has FINALLY showed up on my 360. I can't access any of it but I guess it's a start :-/

Link

The Autumn Wind
After getting my 360 hooked up to the internet and downloading the update, I've gotta say I'm not really liking the new dashboard. The blades system was so much more streamlined and easier to navigate.

Hey! Free Winter Clothes for Avatars!

Ding ding ding ding!

(I like the coat.)

chemicals

ok I just had the chance to upgrade (moved into a new apt, thanks to my god damned second ex wife) and I'm LOVING IT.. good job upgrading the whole feel of the interface.. damn... it's insane.

XShagrath

BenjaminBirdie said:
Hey! Free Winter Clothes for Avatars!

Ding ding ding ding!

(I like the coat.)]

Where'd you find the update? I saw it on the Spotlight earlier today, but when I clicked 'A', it took me to the Avatar Editor and there weren't any new options.

Was this something you had to download, or was it just there for you?

Grecco

XShagrath said:
Where'd you find the update? I saw it on the Spotlight earlier today, but when I clicked 'A', it took me to the Avatar Editor and there weren't any new options.

Was this something you had to download, or was it just there for you?

Just there. The new stuff has check marks on the options

Accident

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/12/17/hey-you-got-nxe-in-my-iphone/

Hey, you got NXE in my iPhone!

leetpwn-iphone-friendsapp.png

It's a constant problem, really. You want to love your snazzy iPhone, but you just can't live without the also snazzy NXE navigation on your Xbox. Never fear iPhone loving Xbox 360 fanboys, because (ahem) 1337pwn.com has you covered with their new iNXES Xbox Live Friends app. The application allows iPhone users to browse their Xbox Live friends lists just like they do on the Xbox 360. The app mimics the look of the new NXE interface and even supports Avatars. The app also lets you check out the top Xbox Live games too. Best of all, it's free. iPhone users should definitely check it out (link goes directly to App Store).

Top Bottom