• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NXE Launch Thead - Nov 19th at 10am GMT

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Please stick everything in here from now on. Questions, impressions, complaints, avatars... anything.

3041117227_c98bd30c82_o.jpg
3041960292_ba3ebbb65a_o.jpg

3041117753_914fc65d3b_o.jpg
3041116839_a6a0b65fb4_o.jpg

What?

THE NEW XBOX EXPERIENCE aka XBOX DASHBOARD 3

Where?

Xbox 360 connected to Xbox LIVE. It will be a required update on game discs in the coming months. In other words, you've got no choice unless you stop buying new release games and never connect to XBL ever again.

When?

Wednesday November 19th from 10am GMT. What time is that where I live?http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?day=19&month=11&year=2008&hour=10&min=0&sec=0&p1=0

Who?

Xbox LIVE members with either a Silver or Gold account.

Why?

Because the current Dashboard is pretty crap.

How?

Sign in to Xbox LIVE on your Xbox 360.

Photo/Video Party / NXE / Primetime etc

Photo Party is available on Marketplace as a separate download(it's not currently up there, actually, but should be soon).

Video Party is coming next year for Netflix people with XBL Gold (yes, you all need Netflix).

Netflix is available as a 4MB download on the US Video Marketplace. You need a Netflix account and XBL Gold.

Primetime with the 1v100 stuff is also coming next year.

16:10​

16:10 is in the NXE, and means you will get black borders to the top and bottom of the image. The game will still be rendering at 16:9.

Other NXE-related threads you may be interested in:

Holy shit at the thread title typo. :lol Can a mod please fix that?

eznark

Banned
F#A#Oo said:
Once it's 10am GMT will my XBL automatically update itself if I'm playing a game? What is the process?

If this weekend is any indication, you have absolutely nothing to worry about

F#A#Oo said:
Once it's 10am GMT will my XBL automatically update itself if I'm playing a game? What is the process?

I believe you will have to log out and then back in. I was accepted in last night and was playing Mirrors Edge... once I read online that they were letting people in I logged out of live and then back in at which point I was prompted to update. I assume it will work the same way.

F#A#Oo said:
Firmware updates are automatically prompted but not automatically installed.
You'll have to select "yes" or whatever and then the rest of the process would be automatic.

jdub03

It should prompt you for an update the next time you sign on. I just got it yesterday. When I signed off and signed back on it updated my system.

Are we sure its 10am GMT (2am PT, 5am ET)?

Major Nelson put a video up on 12seconds at 6pm this evening and said it would be launching in 14 hours, which would put the launch at 8am GMT (midnight PT, 3am ET)

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
AstroLad said:
took the rest of the week off for this....

Just for this?? wow....

I am not updating until next week, I'll wait and see if there are tons of complaints about it before downloading this update.

neojubei said:
Just for this?? wow....

I am not updating until next week, I'll wait and see if there are tons of complaints about it before downloading this update.
You know it's a joke. Why are you pretending to take it seriously?

neojubei said:
Just for this?? wow....

You're going to stay off XBL for a week?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
sionyboy said:
Are we sure its 10am GMT (2am PT, 5am ET)?

Major Nelson put a video up on 12seconds at 6pm this evening and said it would be launching in 14 hours, which would put the launch at 8am GMT (midnight PT, 3am ET)
Keep your expectations low, then if it comes early it's a pleasant surprise. Saves the shit-storm of everyone complaining for 2 hours. :lol

mYm|17|

damn 5AM...............I guess I won't be getting it until tomorrow during my lunch break from work.

does anybody know how long it takes to fully install the NXE?

Do I stay up late or wake up early? Decisions... decisions...

After tomorrow I no longer have to scream 1680x1050 at the top of my lungs for every update.

kuYuri

neojubei said:
Just for this?? wow....

As someone who got it early, I'd say it's worth it and better than current dashboard if only for it being faster and the quick launch menu. HDD install is useful to me. Besides, it's not like you have a choice, unless you plan on staying offline for the rest of the Xbox 360's lifetime.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
ok, i have to say i'm taken kinda aback by some of these responses on a gaming forum where people are known for taking time off of work for other "megaton"-type events like mgs 4, gta iv, excetera. maybe the reaction would be normal from my non-gamer co-workers (not that i would tell them, or that they would even understand what i was talking about), but from gaf it's a bit disappointing to say the least.

so maybe i should explain my reasoning for getting up at the asscrack of dawn and taking a few (three, not five) days off:
-NETFLIX: i will probably spend a solid afternoon just catching up on movies and shows that i've been to lazy to order from netflix in physical form. you just can't beat the convenience factor here.
-AVATARS: yeah ok it's "lame" in the eyes of the so-called hardcore. whatever. i think it's cool as hell. i never felt "lame" buying avatar packs and multiple themes to switch up my visual style, and this looks to be even a hundred times better than that, so the argument is a moot point.
-PARTY SYSTEM: nothing wrong with spending a few hours catching up with old friends scattered around the country. will make playing gears and halo that much more fun--easier to jump from game to game like sony has been promising (and not delivering) since forever.
-HARD DRIVE LOADING: going to literally breathe new life into long-forgotten games with improved performance, etc.

and that's just the tip of the icebird. let's just say i wouldn't be surprised if there are a few "surprises" in store on release day to please the hardcore fans that have been dying for this update since, well, forever....

FF_VIII

Banned
Got the leaked version, looking forward to tomorrow for Netflix.

Avatars still look like crap and worse is you can't even make overweight ones with green beards!

GREEN BEARDS!

Blablurn

Although I don't love my Xbox as much as most of you do I'm really looking forward to this update. I love things like that <3

btw, my xbox isn't connected to the internet due to the lack of wireless. and I don't want to spend 60€ on this little wireless dongle. I heard about a second way to get the xbox online (wireless). something like "connecting the xbox to a second router". does anyone of you know more about it?

Just as a clarification. I'm going to use my 10m long lan-cable to connect my 360 with the internet tomorrow. but this won't work in general.

Blablurn said:
btw, my xbox isn't connected to the internet due to the lack of wireless. and I don't want to spend 60€ on this little wireless dongle. I heard about a second way to get the xbox online (wireless).

It's called a "Wireless Bridge" and can be had for $40-$50 depending on where you look and what brand. Many APs and "Range Extenders" can also be configured as bridges. It will get ANY wired Ethernet device online wirelessly.

NOTE - You will need to be somewhat knowledgeable about networking.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Marty Chinn said:
You're going to stay off XBL for a week?

Yea. I'll wait and see for any bugs or anything, plus i cam imagine everyone trying to download at the same time so it might be very slow downloading the update.

Pachimari

Is it possible for a european citizen to subscribe to Netflix and still watch HD-movies on the PC with an american zipcode if we have family in America?

hc2

Blablurn said:
btw, my xbox isn't connected to the internet due to the lack of wireless. and I don't want to spend 60€ on this little wireless dongle. I heard about a second way to get the xbox online (wireless). something like "connecting the xbox to a second router". does anyone of you know more about it?

A wireless bridge, some wireless gateways/routers can function as a wireless bridge. If you already have an extra gateway/router, see if it has a bridge mode available.

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/xbox360/xboxlive/getconnected/compatiblenetworkequipment/compatiblenetworkingequipment.aspx

itxaka

Defeatist
AstroLad said:
and that's just the tip of the icebird. let's just say i wouldn't be surprised if there are a few "surprises" in store on release day to please the hardcore fans that have been dying for this update since, well, forever....

:lol

turtle553

Is there unlimited Netflix streaming with the $4.99/mo Netflix account?

I cancelled my subscription since I would have discs sitting for months without being watched, but now I will resubscribe but want the cheapest option available.

Struct09

turtle553 said:
Is there unlimited Netflix streaming with the $4.99/mo Netflix account?

I cancelled my subscription since I would have discs sitting for months without being watched, but now I will resubscribe but want the cheapest option available.

$8.99 is the cheapest for unlimited streaming

CoG

I'll do the upgrade when the inevitable Live clusterfuck settles down in a week or so.

*****'s xbox has been ignored for 43 days and refuses to blog until the drive spins again.

Struct09 said:
Anyone have a link to that page that compared disc and HDD load times for a bunch of games?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=341808

Game - Install Size - Notes
- All Pro Football 2k8 (5.0 GB)
- Amped 3 (6.7 GB)
- Army of Two (5.7 GB)
- Assassin's Creed (6.7 GB) -- Jerusalem load 39.5 seconds (DVD) vs 25 seconds (HDD)
- Battlefield: Bad Company (6.5 GB)
- Battlestations: Midway (5.5 GB)
- Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts (6.6 GB) -- very short load times (little to none).
- Beautiful Katamari (3.4 GB)
- BioShock (6.1 GB) -- Point Prometheus level 35 seconds (DVD) vs 24.5 seconds (HDD)
- Blazing Angels (3.4 GB)
- Blue Dragon (19.9 GB for all disks - 6.6 GB, 6.5 GB, 6.8 GB)
- Brother's in Arms: Hell's Highway (5.2 GB)
- Bullet Witch (5.2 GB)
- Bully: Scholarship Edition (3.4 GB)
- Burnout Revenge (4.4 GB)
- Burnout Paradise (3.4 GB)
- C&C: Tiberium Wars (6.6 GB)
- Call of Duty 2 (6.0 GB) -- saves 2-3 seconds each loadtime
- Call of Duty 3 (5.8 GB)
- Call of Duty 4 (6.7 GB)
- Cars (5.2 GB)
- Chromehounds (4.2 GB)
- Civilization Revolution (6.3 GB)
- Clive Barker's Jericho (5.6 GB)
- Colin McRae Dirt (6.4 GB)
- Command & Conquer 3 (3.6GB)
- Condemned (5.4 GB)
- Condemned 2 (6.8 GB)
- Dead or Alive 4 (6.8GB)
- Dead Rising (6.6 GB)
- Devil May Cry 4 (6.7 GB)
- Dynasty Warriors Gundam (5.6 GB)
- Earth Defense Force 2017 (3.4 GB)
- Eternal Sonata (6.8 GB)
- Fable 2 (6.8 GB) -- the brief pause/lag when accessing inventory menus is gone or noticeably reduced
- Fallout 3 (5.9 GB)
- Far Cry 2 (4.5 GB)
- FIFA 09 (6.0 GB)
- Fight Night Round 3 (3.4 GB)
- Flatout Ultimate Carnage (4.9 GB)
- Forza 2 (5.3 GB)
- Full Auto (3.4 GB)
- Gears of War (6.5 GB)
- Gears of War 2 (6.7 GB) initial load 8 seconds shorter
- Ghost Recon: Advance Warfighter (5.2 GB)
- Ghost Recon: Advance Warfighter 2 (6.8 GB)
- Grand Theft Auto IV (6.7 GB) -- decreases initial load time from 46.5 to 33 seconds
- GRID (6.6 GB)
- Guitar Hero 2 (3.4 GB)
- Guitar Hero: World Tour (6.5 GB)
- GUN (3.6 GB)
- Hitman: Blood Money (5.8 GB)
- Halo 3 (6.3 GB) -- load times are apparently worse (10 seconds longer) when installed
- Infinite Undiscovery (12.5 GB for both discs, disc 1 6GB disc 2 6.5GB)
- Kameo (5.9 GB)
- King Kong (6.5 GB)
- Lord of the Rings: Battle For Middle Earth (4.4 GB)
- Lost Planet (6.8 GB)
- Lost: Via Domus (4.2 GB)
- Lost Odyssey (23.2 GB for all discs: 5.8, 5.2, 6.3, and 6.2) -- 2 times faster playing off HDD (video)
- Mass Effect (6.8 GB) -- No more "Loading" pauses when moving too fast. Elevator load times are identical (hardcoded)
- Mercenaries 2 (6.7 GB)
- Midnight Club: LA (6.0 GB)
- Mirror's Edge (5.7 GB)
- Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe (6.4 GB) -- not much difference, load times are only 1-2 seconds shorter
- Need for Speed Most Wanted (6.8 GB)
- NHL 09 (5.7 GB)
- Ninja Gaiden II (6.8 GB) -- 125 seconds initial load on DVD, 45 seconds off HDD. No loading when selecting a weapon from quick switch menu
- Overlord (3.4 GB)
- Perfect Dark Zero (4.9 GB)
- Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (3.4 GB)
- Project Gotham Racing 3 (6.2 GB)
- Project Gotham Racing 4 (6.0 GB) -- average load is 6-10 seconds shorter, but audio crackles/pops while racing when playing off HDD
- Rainbow Six Vegas (6.7 GB)
- Ridge Racer 6 (6.5 GB)
- Rock Band (5.2 GB)
- Rock Band 2 (6.3GB)
- Saints Row (6.8 GB)
- Saints Row 2 (6.8 GB)
- Scene It (6.8 GB)
- SEGA Rally (4.2 GB)
- Shadowrun (4.3 GB)
- Soul Calibur IV (5.9 GB)
- Splinter Cell: Double Agent (6.8 GB)
- Star Trek Legacy (5.7 GB)
- Star Wars: Force Unleashed (6.6 GB)
- Stranglehold (6.7 GB)
- Stuntman Ignition (5.8 GB)
- Table Tennis (3.4 GB)
- Tales of Vesperia (5.9 GB)
- The Club (5.2 GB)
- The Darkness (6.8 GB)
- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (6.7 GB) -- Great Forest loadtime 44.5 seconds (DVD) vs 31 seconds (HDD)
- The Orange Box (4.7 GB) -- HL2 load time cut in half (44.5 vs 25.5 seconds), loading saved game 'We don't go there any more' shaved off 32 seconds
- Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09 (6.0 GB)
- Tomb Raider Anniversary (6.4 GB)
- Tomb Raider Legend (6.7 GB)
- Tony Hawk's American Wasteland (5.0 GB)
- Too Human (6.2 GB)
- Two Worlds (3.4 GB)
- Unreal Tournament 3 (6.4 GB)
- Viking:Battle for Asgard (5.9 GB)
- Virtua Fighter 5 (4.7 GB)
- Virtua Tennis 3 (4.1 GB)
- Viva Piñata (5.0 GB)
- Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (5.2 GB)
- Warriors Orochi (6.4 GB)
- Warriors Orochi 2 (6.8 GB)
- Wartech Senko no Ronde (3.4GB)
- WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2007 (6.8 GB)
- WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2008 (5.8 GB)
- WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2009 (6.6 GB)
- Xbox Live Arcade Compilation Disc (5.9 GB)

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
AstroLad said:

ICEBIRD!!!!

Top Bottom