• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NXE Launch Thead - Nov 19th at 10am GMT

rjcc

sionyboy said:
I meant to ask, anyone got some photos of their 360 running at a 16:10 resolution on their monitor? Would be intererested to see how big the black bars are at top/bottom of the screen. I tried it on my TV but it would seem it doesn't want to accept 1440x900 over HDMI :(

open up a 1280x720 jpg from gamersyde on your screen and look where the bars are. that's exactly what it will be

Vyer

So, I watched King of Kong for the first time because of this.

What an interesting movie. I thought it was great.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Is anybody having a problem with Shaft on Netflix? Any time I try to put the Shaft into my instant watching queue, Shaft in Africa shows up on the 360's list.

rjcc

CitizenCope said:
Thanks!!
What a laughing stock those choices are though.:lol
I'll continue to download the HD movies on Marketplace instead of going the Netflix way.
Regular "DVD's" look like shit on my set.

you just don't get it

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I've been using Watch Instantly for a while now, generally great for documentaries, older movies, niche movies, and many TV shows. Really great to be able to get Office and 30 Rock in HD when you can't even get those in HD anywhere else. For recent releases though, that's what the actual paid-for Netflix physical subscription is for, at least for now.

hoos30

chespace said:
DESSLOCK!!!! DESSLOCK DESSLOCK DESSLOCK DESSLOCK!

The most underrated anime villain ever....

saunderez

CitizenCope said:
I guess I don't. Hmmmm?
Unlimited streaming for a set price via NetFlix versus pay-for-play per movie and you are complaining about the range NetFlix has. It's a set price service, if it had as much content as the pay-for-play service nobody would use the pay-for-play service.

saunderez said:
Unlimited streaming for a set price via NetFlix versus pay-for-play per movie and you are complaining about the range NetFlix has. It's a set price service, if it had as much content as the pay-for-play service nobody would use the pay-for-play service.
I'm not complaining about Netflix. I understand they can only do so much for the great prices they offer. Non HD looks like SHIT on my 100" screen. Their HD offerings are just HORRIBLE. Why would I pay a monthly fee for something I do not want?
Hello again Marketplace and hello to the Netflix defense force I didn't know existed until now.

saunderez

CitizenCope said:
Hello again Marketplace and hello to the Netflix defense force I didn't know existed until now.
Hahahaha! I don't even live in a country that has Video Marketplace OR NetFlix but I'm the defense force. I'm just being logical....

If non-HD looks so shit on your display perhaps you should downgrade to something a little smaller that won't magify the faults in it until HD becomes a bit more ubiqtuous.

saunderez said:
Hahahaha! I don't even live in a country that has Video Marketplace OR NetFlix but I'm the defense force. I'm just being logical....

If non-HD looks so shit on your display perhaps you should downgrade to something a little smaller that won't magify the faults in it until HD becomes a bit more ubiqtuous.

NEVER!!!
I'm a gamer first.

Here I am sounding like Marketplace is the end all of digital hd movie distribution.:lol
But between that and On-Demand HD movies via cable I am pretty satisfied.
I knew well ahead of its release on Live that Netflix HD movies severely lacked in both quality and quantity. I was just posting what I had just witnessed first hand. Pretty bad indeed.

Piper Az

I was installing Tale of Vesperia to the HDD and noticed that there was a custom wallpaper during the process...is this part of the NXE? Does every game have something like this?

GhaleonEB

Now that it's out, they need to re-name the New Xbox Experience. Terrible name to begin with, but it clearly can't last.

The old interface was "blades", right? What's this?

saunderez

GhaleonEB said:
"Channels" was a terminology Microsoft used themselves. But Wii apologists probably wouldn't like it if it were adopted by the rest of us.

Brashnir

GhaleonEB said:
Now that it's out, they need to re-name the New Xbox Experience. Terrible name to begin with, but it clearly can't last.

The old interface was the Dashboard. The new interface is still the Dashboard.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I vaguely remember hearing you can change the keyboard to qwerty, but I'm not sure how to do that. Anyone know?

Brashnir

GhaleonEB said:
I don't think you understood the question.

I understood that it was based on a faulty premise in that the interface doesn't need two names. Blades was just a nickname before. A new one isn't really required.

saunderez

Papercuts said:
I vaguely remember hearing you can change the keyboard to qwerty, but I'm not sure how to do that. Anyone know?
My Xbox->System Settings->Languages->English (QWERTY Keyboard)

Not sure if other languages can choose the QWERTY too but that's what I see on my console.

Asherdude

Why would Microsoft make such sorry looking avatars for a HD system? The higher I set my HDTV's resolution, the worse they look! I prefer the old gamerpics over these Mii clones. Thank God Microsoft didn't delete those.

Chinner said:
Hey, does anyone know how to launch Photo Party without using the quick launch feature? Cause me and my friends have looked for it and we just can't find it. However how much I think this dashboard is awesome one of my biggest beefs is that some of the features offered in this update are not standard across the dashboard and the guide.
Instead of quick launch, go one step to the right, which is "All" I think, and then it will be at the bottom as Xbox Live Photo Party.

Sean

Banned
GhaleonEB said:

I believe it's called "channels" (name for the main sections such as friends etc) and "panels" (name for the square boxes).

saunderez

Sean said:
I was trying to remember how MS referred to those...I kept calling them "frames" to my friends due to how new items (such as ads) first appear as a frame before being filled in with the image.

bj00rn_

Banned
Hellraizer said:
Old 20gb hdd's are slower than newer ones, especially compared to a new 120gb.

Yup, on my way back from work I picked up a brand new Elite model, and then installed GTAIV through NXE again, and now it runs better than it ever did, no texture pop-in/geometry like earlier, so yes the 120gb is obviously a great deal faster than my old 20gb. And the Elite is even much more silent both with and without the DVD drive. Good times.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I finally got a chance to turn on my 360 yesterday, and after playing around for a bit, I like it. Everything that you actually use seems more consolidated, which is nice. I will almost never even look at Spotlight, Inside Xbox, Events, most of the marketplace, etc., so I'm glad that you can almost completely ignore them.

I just wish they hadn't done away with "Played Games" in the marketplace — that made it really easy to keep track of new DLC and stuff for games that I own. I guess you can always get to those menus when actually playing the game, though, so no big deal. I also kind of miss the screen that showed all your played games along with your achievement progress, number of saves, amount of DLC, etc. Oh well.

Netflix is awesome, too — I finally signed up over the summer when I heard about the partnership with MS. It's nice to have every episode of The Office (both versions) available to watch whenever the mood strikes, along with tons of other (decent) stuff.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
bj00rn_ said:
Yup, on my way back from work I picked up a brand new Elite model, and then installed GTAIV through NXE again, and now it runs better than it ever did, no texture pop-in/geometry like earlier, so yes the 120gb is obviously a great deal faster than my old 20gb. And the Elite is even much more silent both with and without the DVD drive. Good times.

I had to delete a ton of stuff just to install GTAIV, and it does run much better.

hulot

vatstep said:
I finally got a chance to turn on my 360 yesterday, and after playing around for a bit, I like it. Everything that you actually use seems more consolidated, which is nice. I will almost never even look at Spotlight, Inside Xbox, Events, most of the marketplace, etc., so I'm glad that you can almost completely ignore them.

I just wish they hadn't done away with "Played Games" in the marketplace — that made it really easy to keep track of new DLC and stuff for games that I own. I guess you can always get to those menus when actually playing the game, though, so no big deal. I also kind of miss the screen that showed all your played games along with your achievement progress, number of saves, amount of DLC, etc. Oh well.

I just wish the Friends channel was right next to the My Xbox one. Also, for what you're looking for, I believe you can just go to the second panel in My Xbox and you'll see all your recently played games with their achievements, they've even added progress bars now.

mYm|17|

Grecco said:
Anyone get kicked out of party chat repeteadly its reeally annoying

yup that happens alot to me and my friends when we play COD4. One minute we are talking to each other and the next, it says people have left my party

anyone else notice that the sound randomly gets muffled when scrolling through your game list? It's only a minor nuisance but I only noticed it since installing NXE

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Forgive me if this has been answered, but wasn't xbox.com going to upgrade to allow you to listen to voice messages from the site?

I just watched "The Sentinel" (1977) on Netflix.

It isn't in the HD list on Watch Instantly... But when I started it on my XBOX360 it had the HD logo next to the four bars signal strength.

So I guess it's in HD? Strange.

Movie gets a 6/10 for cheesie-fun-factor.
Also, the netflix streaming is the main reason I turn on the xbox at this point. Rocks.

Top Bottom