• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NXE Launch Thead - Nov 19th at 10am GMT

LCfiner

DoctorWho said:
Wait, what... how can this be!!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD I NEED TO KNOW!!!

You need a live gold account from the states... right?

Thegreatdave listed all the steps earlier in another thread

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13656213&postcount=1464

a few notes for each of his steps.

1. this thread has a mcdonalds address in south dakota that works well for the netflix sign up. you need to use a minimum of the 9.00 USD plan to get unlimited streaming

2. use your real address for the entropay visa. this may be obvious, but don't try any funny business here. add as much onto the account as you want from another credit card or bank account. keep filling it up in future months to keep netflix paid off

3. open up the US account from the xbox live website - easier than on the xbox itself. you'll probably need to create a brand new hotmail or windows live account (using the same US address as for netflix) to get it to work.

6. the only proxy i could get to work was hotspotshield.com. i'm on a mac and it runs in the background on the menu bar. you can choose to activate or deactivate it at will.

finally, when on the xbox, you don't need to login to your silver US account to get this working. just log in to your normal gold account, hit the guide button and select quick launch. then choose the netflix application and it'll automatically start up, showing the movies you add via the website and proxy.

Cdammen

I love NetFlix but man do they like Troma movies, there's a ton of them :lol

They also have an excellent selection of documentaries.

Brakara

Cdammen said:
I love NetFlix but man do they like Troma movies, there's a ton of them :lol

Do they have this one?

21Z2MFDF26L._SL500_AA140_.jpg

Also, another tip for using entropay: don't login or create an account when using the US proxy server. They'll close down your account if they think you're an american.

LCfiner

Brakara said:
Do they have this one?

21Z2MFDF26L._SL500_AA140_.jpg

Also, another tip for using entropay: don't login or create an account when using the US proxy server. They'll close down your account if they think you're an american.

yes, they do. i saw that one earlier this afternoon. :)

armubaba

FF_VIII said:
What do you mean? (I'm stupid)

I'm assuming he means that when you're in a party, you can still talk to other party members- regardless of whether or not you're dead in the game. This lets dead people look around the map with ghost camera and tell their party members where everybody is located.

hoos30

clashfan said:
Netflix is the killer app for me. It's like having a tv channel dedicated to my own taste. I love it.

There's a downside to this. Ever since I showed my wife how to use it, she hasn't stepped away from the Xbox. That's why I'm on GAF now instead of playing Gears :-(

Edit: And even worse, she's downstairs now demonstrating it to her girlfriend.

hoos30

Sailor said:
Did anyone here try Netflix with only Verizon DSL? Wondering how the quality (since it depends on internet speed) will be on that :\

I have a pretty crappy Verizon (East) DSL line. Last time I tested it I only got 1.5 Mb down. But even with that, the Netflix streaming has been acceptable. On my 42in, the VQ is a notch below DVD quality.

One oddity I found is that the Netflix app is not as integrated in the OS as other functions that we are used to. I had set some community games to autodownload yesterday and when I got home I started to watch a Netflix movie. The video was horrendous. I was just about to start unplugging wires to see what the problem was when I check my download queue....it was still downloading the games while the movie was playing! After cancelling the downloads, the movie quality automatically went back to normal.

acksman

hoos30 said:
There's a downside to this. Ever since I showed my wife how to use it, she hasn't stepped away from the Xbox. That's why I'm on GAF now instead of playing Gears :-(

I agree, was able to finish Fable 2 last night, but the prior two nights wife wanted to watch movies on Netflix. She has a heck of a queue going and has not cared about that box, until this update.

Oh yes Avatars too, grrr, she keeps messing with mine.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
BenjaminBirdie said:
Man, UNO is well fun with Avatars.
I think they move around a little too much, but yeah, it definitely adds to the game.

In Bomberman they're basically tacked on pretty bad. You see your Avatar standing next to Bomberman in menus, and where the Gamer Pic normally is, you get a little animated Avatar head. :lol

I quite like them in Box Office Smash, though.

A few random NXE related questions - apologies if these have been answered already.

1. Is there any way to get to "Active Downloads" through the standard dash? or is it only in the quick-pop up mini-dash?

2. If my xbox is powered on and I order a movie or game demo via the web marketplace will it automatically download immediately? It'd be nice to be able to rent a HD movie while at work and have the puppy fully installed when I got home.

3. If I *do* want to leave my 360 on all day when I'm at work, does it have a power-save mode? If not I won't even bother.

4. I couldn't find the "Played Games" section, where you can find downloadable extras and manage memory for every game you've ever played. I have rummaged around the "My Xbox > Games Library" section, but it only lists a small subset of my library.

I'm loving the NXE more and more with each passing day. The way they fade visuals towards the background - it gives you more information per casual glance than any of the scrollable lists.

Brakara

The Netflix blog has some interesting details regarding the streaming technology they use:

We encode most content at 500, 1000, 1600, and 2200kbps VBR, but some titles whose source quality merits it have also been encoded at 3400kbps. The highest bitrate encodes are fit into 720x480 non-square pixels (the usual 1.2 PAR for widescreen content, 0.9 PAR for 4:3), but optimum encoding at lower bitrates is achieved with fewer pixels. Encoded films are normally at 24fps to match the source, while shot-to-video and mixed material is de-interlaced to 30fps (or 25fps for PAL content).

Today we have rights to deliver about 400 streams in HD (720p). More titles will be added over time. We experimented with first-generation WMV3 encodes at 4000kbps and 5500kbps, but settled on second-generation HD encodes with VC1AP at 2600kbps and 3800kbps, which extends their accessibility down to lower home broadband connections. As with SD, encodes of film material are at 24fps, and encodes of shot-to-video material are at 30fps (or 25fps for PAL), rather than the 60fps that would come from a Blu-ray disc - we judged the 60fps content as too expensive of bandwidth for now. In general, these encodes are definitively better than SD, but won't challenge well-executed Blu-ray encodes - that would require a bitrate out of reach for most domestic broadband today. We believe Moore's law will drive home broadband higher and higher enabling full 1080p60 encodes in a few years.

Our first-gen PC streaming player uses 1-4 bars to represent the delivered quality, representing 500, 1000, 1600, and 2200 kbps. The 3400kbps encodes are represented as 4 bars. The player measures bandwidth once at the start of the title, and chooses a bitrate for delivery that has at least 40% headroom from the measured speed.

They're also working on delivering multichannel audio, subtitles and closed captions (but no date set).

http://blog.netflix.com/2008/11/encoding-for-streaming.html

bj00rn_

Banned
What the... I installed GTAIV, and the textures can't keep up, so much pop-in... So much that I can't do a proper race in a fast car because the roads don't draw fast enough. Anyone else experiencing the same?

Chinner

Banned
bj00rn_ said:
What the... I installed GTAIV, and the textures can't keep up, so much pop-in... So much that I can't do a proper race in a fast car because the roads don't draw fast enough. Anyone else experiencing the same?
clear your cache

Xirj

LCfiner said:
Thegreatdave listed all the steps earlier in another thread

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13656213&postcount=1464

a few notes for each of his steps.

1. this thread has a mcdonalds address in south dakota that works well for the netflix sign up. you need to use a minimum of the 9.00 USD plan to get unlimited streaming

2. use your real address for the entropay visa. this may be obvious, but don't try any funny business here. add as much onto the account as you want from another credit card or bank account. keep filling it up in future months to keep netflix paid off

3. open up the US account from the xbox live website - easier than on the xbox itself. you'll probably need to create a brand new hotmail or windows live account (using the same US address as for netflix) to get it to work.

6. the only proxy i could get to work was hotspotshield.com. i'm on a mac and it runs in the background on the menu bar. you can choose to activate or deactivate it at will.

finally, when on the xbox, you don't need to login to your silver US account to get this working. just log in to your normal gold account, hit the guide button and select quick launch. then choose the netflix application and it'll automatically start up, showing the movies you add via the website and proxy.

Will netflix send their monthly bills to the MacDonald's address though? I imagine McD's will notice something weird when they start getting a bunch of netflix letters in the mail.

Sanjuro

Xirj said:
Will netflix send their monthly bills to the MacDonald's address though? I imagine McD's will notice something weird when they start getting a bunch of netflix letters in the mail.
The employees will huddle in the corner and throw hamburger buns at it from a distance.

FF_VIII

Banned
Xirj said:

Shit, that reminds me. Gotta report that Lethal Weapon dvd I sent to McDonald's as stolen :D

bj00rn_

Banned
Chinner said:
clear your cache

Oh wow, yeah, that made quite a difference... Thanks man.

Edit: Oops, huge chunks of the city textures and geometry still fails to load in time. Oh well, no big deal, just thought it's a little strange that the DVD-drive delivers better texture-streaming performance, maybe my 360 is too old. Time to buy a new Elite I guess.

Hotsuma

Do you have to be logged in to Xbox Live to watch Divx movies? I keed getting an update is needed message, but I'm sure that I downloaded the update.

Thanks for any help..

bj00rn_ said:
Oh wow, yeah, that made quite a difference... Thanks man.

Edit: Oops, huge chunks of the city textures and geometry still fails to load in time. Oh well, no big deal, just thought it's a little strange that the DVD-drive delivers better texture-streaming performance, maybe my 360 is too old. Time to buy a new Elite I guess.
Old 20gb hdd's are slower than newer ones, especially compared to a new 120gb.

Do you have to be logged in to Xbox Live to watch Divx movies? I keed getting an update is needed message, but I'm sure that I downloaded the update.

Thanks for any help..
License issue you probably dl'ed the update with an other console (because that's what prevented me to watch divx offline/logged off)? If so transfer the license, or create another account and re-download the update on the console.

Banned
Xirj said:

I think you can set it to charge your credit card automatically and not receive a bill. I never get mail from Netflix.

turtle553

FF_VIII said:
Shit, that reminds me. Gotta report that Lethal Weapon dvd I sent to McDonald's as stolen :D

If you're just using the address in the US, why not just leave you DVD queue as empty so they never send you anything, but can still do the streaming.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
If there are any europeans reading: does using the mp on pc work for you? I just tried downing some of the Fable II vid docs and I keep getting 'this offer is not valid in your region' errors.

edit: seems like it only works if I go to the crappy translated dutch xbox.com. Sigh.

'de nieuwe xbox beleving' -___-

Forgive me for not reading 2,000+ posts but I just got back from being away so the NXE is new to me as of today.
So far I'm confused as fuck. I've found what are some great additions but I find myself lost most of the time with this thing.
Also where are the HD movies on Netflix? Do I just que up some BluRay movies and that does the trick?

CitizenCope said:
Forgive me for not reading 2,000+ posts but I just got back from being away so the NXE is new to me as of today.
So far I'm confused as fuck. I've found what are some great additions but I find myself lost most of the time with this thing.
Also where are the HD movies on Netflix? Do I just que up some BluRay movies and that does the trick?
Here is the HD section for instant movies.
http://www.netflix.com/WiHD?lnkctr=hdgenre

You'll only be able to watch HD movies if you have sufficient bandwidth though.

Aladuf

Banned
Sorry if this has been addressed in here already or anything but ever since installing NXE has anyone had a problem when shutting off their console with your controller that the Xbox stays on as if it's background downloading something? (I haven't been downloading anything and my play and charge hasn't been plugged in at all when shutting down).

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
hoos30 said:

DESSLOCK!!!! DESSLOCK DESSLOCK DESSLOCK DESSLOCK!

Chinner

Banned
Aladuf said:
Sorry if this has been addressed in here already or anything but ever since installing NXE has anyone had a problem when shutting off their console with your controller that the Xbox stays on as if it's background downloading something? (I haven't been downloading anything and my play and charge hasn't been plugged in at all when shutting down).
Mine does this. It does shut down after a moment so just wait it out.

Aladuf

Banned
Chinner said:
Mine does this. It does shut down after a moment so just wait it out.
Alright, I'll just wait it out a bit longer, I've just been shutting it off with the controller just to see if it would turn off normally then go press the button on the console when it would stay "on".

Does anyone know if MS have put the new dashboard update up on their support site to download? My friend wants to check out the new dash but has no way to get his 360 onto the internet.

MCD

sionyboy said:
Does anyone know if MS have put the new dashboard update up on their support site to download? My friend wants to check out the new dash but has no way to get his 360 onto the internet.
i only see 2007 fall update on their site.

also:

Q: What if my Xbox 360 isn’t online? How do I get the update? If I don’t, will my Xbox 360 still work?

A: This Autumn, you will need to be connected to Xbox LIVE to download the system update; however we will be making the update available to non-Xbox LIVE members very soon. Your Xbox 360 will work in an offline mode, without the update.

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/live/NXE/faq.htm

Probably answered but is the Netflix trial tied to the account or to the system?

I'm assuming the latter so people can't just create new accounts to get new trials...

Just updated the "family" 360 at my mother's house. No HDD so no avatar stuff... which is pretty odd. Sadly it's a premium so the NXE upgrade thing wont work. :(

rjcc

Rodeo Clown said:
Maybe just me, possibly unrelated to the NXE, but I tried to play Battlefront 2 for the first time since the NXE launch, and it told me my DLC was corrupted. I tried a couple other Xbox 1 games that I had content for and they all gave me the same "DLC is corrupt" message. It would be fine, but it's telling me I never bought the Battlefront 2 premium DLC, and I'm not paying for it again.

all you have to do is download it again. I had the same problem with halo 1 dlc a long time ago on the 360.

Chinner

Banned
Hey, does anyone know how to launch Photo Party without using the quick launch feature? Cause me and my friends have looked for it and we just can't find it. However how much I think this dashboard is awesome one of my biggest beefs is that some of the features offered in this update are not standard across the dashboard and the guide.

MCD

Chinner said:
Hey, does anyone know where to find Photo Party without using the quick launch feature? Cause me and my friends have looked for it and we just can't find it. However how much I think this dashboard is awesome one of my biggest beefs is that some of the features offered in this update are not standard across the dashboard and the guide.
try spotlight, last tab to the right.

I meant to ask, anyone got some photos of their 360 running at a 16:10 resolution on their monitor? Would be intererested to see how big the black bars are at top/bottom of the screen. I tried it on my TV but it would seem it doesn't want to accept 1440x900 over HDMI :(

Chinner

Banned
Recoil said:
What happens after it's gone from the spotlight, is what I'm wondering.

edit: Chinner, you can launch it from the spotlight.
Oh ok. Thats only really taking advantage of the download system though, which always offers you to play the game from that screen. As you say, once its disappeared from spotlight we'll be restricted to launching it from the quick launch section. Personally, I'd like to see the channel of it intergrated into the My Xbox section.

Top Bottom