• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Offical Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles - My Life as a King Thread

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Alex said:
Can you play through once then do a New Game + with DLC?

As far as I can tell, you can add DLC to any save rigged up without DLC, but once a save has been tainted by a particular piece of DLC, it will no longer work without that DLC present.

So yes to your question.

Ainaurdur

BuddhaRockstar said:
...what are you actually buying when you buy one of these dungeons?
Most of the dungeons I have seen so far have some sort of bonus for completing them. It might be stat boosts, or increasing the effectiveness of a shop. I'm guessing there will also be rare items and equipment to gain as well.
leehom said:
don't disappoint me gaf. if this game is motion controlled only, i will refuse to play it. i'll still buy it cuz i'm a SE fanboy.
I don't believe this game has even one speck of... ok, you can shake the Wiimote to call Chime, but that can also be done with a button press. So no, no motion control needed.

Alex

Varshes said:
When do the other races start to appear if you purchased the DLC?

After you conqueror their countries and drive them from their homes, you can build them dilapidated shacks with magic and place ridiculous taxes on them.

...I don't know, but I bet my version is significantly more interesting.

I absolutely love this game. My king's name is Meddy Munro and my country is named USSR. I played for about 5 hours (up to Day 35). How far through the game am I?

Are any of the DLC worthwhile? Do the other races have different stat bias or are they purely cosmetic? All I have right now is the vanilla game.

Alex

This is taking forever to download, on a flawless 10 meg connection too! Fucking lazy ass Mario.

EDarkness

MedievalManIII said:
I absolutely love this game. My king's name is Meddy Munro and my country is named USSR. I played for about 5 hours (up to Day 35). How far through the game am I?

Are any of the DLC worthwhile? Do the other races have different stat bias or are they purely cosmetic? All I have right now is the vanilla game.

Not sure how far you are. I'm 50 days in and only on Chapter 2. Plenty of dungeons to explore so far.

I'm thinking that the dungeon pack is definitely worth it. Not sure about the races. I might get that, but it's kind of pricey and I'm still not sure what it adds to the game other than different style buildings. As soon as I get to the end of my current dungeons, I'm going to buy the dungeon pack. Eleven more dungeons is just too cool to pass up. :)

Ranger X

2 questions:

1- Can i place the buidling and stuff wherever the hell i want? (think Dark Could 2)

2- Can i decorate around, put scenery, etc? (think Dark Cloud 2)

3- Is this as fun as Dark Cloud 2? (think Dark Cloud 2)

Alex

Is the dungeon pack out yet? I thought it was just like races + couple buildings + clothes thus far

Alex

Over twenty fucking minutes downloading then it gets to the end and gives me an error, what the hell. I guess it's payback for not having any issues with GTA4

Speevy

Banned
Ranger X said:
2 questions:

1- Can i place the buidling and stuff wherever the hell i want? (think Dark Could 2)

2- Can i decorate around, put scenery, etc? (think Dark Cloud 2)

3- Is this as fun as Dark Cloud 2? (think Dark Cloud 2)

Yes, not sure yet, the focuses of the games are different but I will say you'll get your money's worth if you liked the Georama aspect of DC2.

Speevy

Banned
MedievalManIII said:
I'm still on Chapter 2. My adventurers are about level 11-14. The latest job that I have unlocked is White Mage.

Yeah I'll probably start grinding tomorrow.

Natasha is going to kill that final boss I can't see with one hit.

Narag

SpudBud said:
Bought it and loving it.

Question: How can I get adventurers to party up?
Need a Tavern.

Alex said:
Is the dungeon pack out yet? I thought it was just like races + couple buildings + clothes thus far

There's one dungeon pack out iirc and most of the DLC includeds a dungeon or so to activate the DLC. You don't get the other races off the bat but do so by clearing a fairly low level dungeon.

Slacker

The wording on the DLC descriptions is confusing me. Like for the "Dungeon Pack" it says:

Adds 11 dungeons to the game, such as the Desert City of Clavis. Clearing these dungeons raises the limit on weapon, armor, and item shops as well as taverns, parks, gaming halls, and houses. Only the new building limits of weapon, armor, and item shops, as well as parks can be carried over to new games.
What does that mean exactly? Surely you don't have to rebuy DLC for a new game, so I'm just misunderstanding what this means.

Volcynika

Slacker said:
The wording on the DLC descriptions is confusing me. Like for the "Dungeon Pack" it says:

What does that mean exactly? Surely you don't have to rebuy DLC for a new game, so I'm just misunderstanding what this means.

I think while the dungeons are added, you can't just increase the limits of those buildings in the middle of a game you're doing, and you'd have to start over for that to take effect. Not sure if that's right though...

Deku

Banned
Buying DLC adds new dungeons which unlocks the buildings upon completion. I don't believe you have to restart.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Can anyone actually tell me what the race packs actually DO? I'd love to have all of the races in the town (or at least the Selkies), but are they basically just skins? Are there new job types that come along with them? Does buying a race make the houses in the town able to accommodate families of them, or are they all shoved into a single house somewhere or something?

Narag

Slacker said:
It sounds like you'll be able to build shops and whatnot faster without the need the need to unlock extra build slots for them as you do the first time around. As for Deku's post, I bought the DLC after the fact and it just opened up 3 additional dungeons for me to clear. Its integrated well enough and even has its own goofy ingame store.

Tathanen said:
Can anyone actually tell me what the race packs actually DO? I'd love to have all of the races in the town (or at least the Selkies), but are they basically just skins? Are there new job types that come along with them? Does buying a race make the houses in the town able to accommodate families of them, or are they all shoved into a single house somewhere or something?

It allows a family of that race to move into town in a specific type of house and it looks like a maximum of 5 of a racial building for each race. They're locked to one job too but from what I understand excel at it. I don't know if there's any particular racial skills/stat bonuses involved but I'd assume so. They do make the city a little more alive so to speak though.

Scrubking

Well I decided to pay the tax and get in on this and I'm glad I did. Enjoying it thus far though the days go by so damn fast.

Adds 11 dungeons to the game, such as the Desert City of Clavis. Clearing these dungeons raises the limit on weapon, armor, and item shops as well as taverns, parks, gaming halls, and houses. Only the new building limits of weapon, armor, and item shops, as well as parks can be carried over to new games.

I think that means that the dungeons won't show up in new game+. After finishing them the benefits will transfer, but the dungeons won't. I didn't buy it because it just sounds too fishy.

Bought it, got addicted fast, ended up buying all the DLC because the game is easily worth $31 so I figured why not? It's very fun and very addicting.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I put up my first hour impressions of the game. I was only able to play for an hour or 2 before work this morning. I'll hopefully have a review up by the end of next week.

I have always been a fan of both city building simulation games, and I of course have a soft corner for the Final Fantasy franchise. It seems odd, though, to see the two finally come together.

While Nintendo’s Wii console has had their retro catalogue available on the Virtual Console service since the console’s launch, but it was not until they revealed their WiiWare service that they offered the chance for gamers to download new, specially designed titles. Among the first batch of titles available to Wii owners with an internet connection are titles like Lost Wind, and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles - My Life as a King.

Now, unlike past FFCC titles, My Life as a King is in fact not a multiplayer action RPG. Instead, the game is set in the FFCC universe, and puts the player in the role of a child king who must rebuild his fallen kingdom, bring back villagers, and send adventurers out into the murky depths of the outside world to retrieve treasure and building materials.

The game starts slowly, but gives a lot of information in steps that make it easy to understand, even for those who may not be acclimated to a city building simulation. Before long, players are placing homes and a bakery. Homes recall a couple citizens, while bakeries make citizens happy. While some citizens remain within the kingdom’s walls, going about their daily grind, some have higher aspirations.

Every so often, new citizens will approach the castle and ask the player if they can become an adventurer. The interesting view the game gives is the financial side of the Final Fantasy universe. While past games have always placed the player in the role of the hero, travelling and battling, My Life as a King forces players to deal with the finances and management associated with groups of adventurers.

The King must hire adventurers, but each comes at a cost to the royal coffers. The player issues behests each day; quests for adventurers to undertake. Now instead of taking a quest and going about your business, you are giving such quests to brave citizens, while you maintain and expand your town.

There’s an incredible new sense of connection to each adventurer, as each one’s emotions are visible to The King. As I approached the Frog Board on the morning of the 8th day, and found an adventurer waiting to undertake a quest, I actually felt a sense of regret. They were determined to take on my behest to slay a Goblin King to the east, but I knew better. The denizens of the cave were Level 4, while she was merely level 2. When I ordered her to instead gather more EXP in an easier area, she looked dejected, walking slowly to the town’s gate to undertake a rather boring and dull mission.

City folk even express their wants and needs. I traveled by the crystal centerpiece of the kingdom to find an adventurer who looked worn and disillusioned. Upon talking to him, I found that he had feelings for another citizen, but felt that without a relaxing place like a park, there was no hope for him. It is this kind of organic suggestion that brings the game to life, and finding such suggestions among villagers is so much more rewarding than merely getting anonymous notices via the in-game interface.

Link

Hope that's helpful for people who are still on the wall about the game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
MedievalManIII said:
Another question about DLC, can they be applied to multiple saves or are they limited to only one per purchased DLC?

The details when you're downloading said that you don't have to redownload for new games. At least I'm pretty sure it did.

MGrant

I'd really like there to be more of a penalty for getting an adventurer "wiped out." Permadeath would be interesting, but I doubt they'd incorporate that, so at least make them give up adventuring for more than a day, or drop some levels or something.

MedievalManIII said:
Another question about DLC, can they be applied to multiple saves or are they limited to only one per purchased DLC?
I'm not sure but I downloaded an add-on before even starting the game so multiple saves might share the same add-on.

webrunner

I spent five hours playing FF last night. I managed to get the stupidest black mage in the world.. I should probably change her into something more suiting to her skill set.

She was a black mage, and I sent her on a mission in an area where they 're immune to physical attacks.. and it took her three times to decide to buy spells. Even after she got spells she was still attacking before she had them used up. The second black mage I sent cleared the dungeon almost immediately.

A few notes:
If you demolish a building, your adventurers can still use it that day, but you can't
If you re-build a demolished building, it will have the same tech level, but won't have any skills/items for sale until a day later.
Careful where you place your buildings, if your adventurer buildings are too far apart it ends up causing it to midafternoon before your guys leave the gate
Sometimes if they're not interested in the behests, adventurers will go off and level up on their own (although it appears once you build a hall they do it there)
It seems that as you play, you stay up later and later each day
Nobody seems to like my gaming hall except for thieves buying skills

A few questions:
Has anyone seen any of these 'exotic items' that one of my townsperson says shows up if you place the store in a remote area?
Is it possible to behest my mages to bloody well buy some staves already god damn carrying around swords like jackasses
Are there more than 4 classes?
Is there a way to fire adventurers? Like, if you reach the cap (18 i think?) and then buy the DLC, can you fire some to make room for non-human ones?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm pretty sure that when I play this later today I'll give in to the DLC and buy all of it, even the costumes... :(

bryehn

So this was pirated. Not a surprise, but what is a surprise is that they unlocked the DLC as well with a couple script switches. Looks like a case where all you're buying is a key to unlock content already there.

Don't care either way cause I probably won't touch the DLC. Just bought this now and will be giving it a go today. Positive GAF impressions are what made me bite, don't let me down dudes!

webrunner

bryehn said:
So this was pirated. Not a surprise, but what is a surprise is that they unlocked the DLC as well with a couple script switches. Looks like a case where all you're buying is a key to unlock content already there.

Don't care either way cause I probably won't touch the DLC. Just bought this now and will be giving it a go today. Positive GAF impressions are what made me bite, don't let me down dudes!

I think some of the DLC are downloaded and some are keys- otherwise there's no reason why some of them are 2-3 blocks instead of 1.

EDarkness

bryehn said:

I don't understand why people ruin everyone else's fun. By copying and cracking software, they make it harder for companies to justify making more games. Then they'll complain that there aren't any good games to play. Well, you asked for it by being a thief.

It's sad.

Evlar

Banned
The combat log for each adventurer you get at the beginning of every day is, for me, the best part of this. The game is literally running a full-blown Final Fantasy simulation in the background replete with equipment, consumable items, skill sets, encounter rates, hit rates, AI, and on and on... It's so lavishly unnecessary, since they could have accomplished the same "level up your adventurers or fail" mechanic by simply comparing adventurer levels against dungeon levels and performing one dice roll (a lvl 5 character has a 60% chance of beating a lvl 7 dungeon, roll the dice and report back).

I expect some people will be frustrated by the fact the game has an actual RPG buried in it that you don't have access to. I enjoy the inversion of roles though, the idea of managing the support structure (shops, quest-giving, reward granting) that is just background to the action in an RPG. It's a cool idea and the detailed logs of each monster encounter provide necessary feedback for believing in the coherence of the world beyond your little town's walls.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
This is by far the crown jewel of WiiWare. It won't appeal to everyone, but those of us who love a good sim-style game this one is unbelievable. As someone else said, I too purchased all the DLC. Part of it was just the novelty, but as I'm playing I feel that had you slapped the game and all DLC on a disc and sold it for $30 it would be worth every penny. Actually that might not even be a bad idea for square :p

I am still just starting off, only an hour in. I just finished the behest for the dandelion location so I can get it and make parks. I've also beat the ever living hell out of the first three dungeons.

Questions: Do you no longer receive elementine from fully explored dungeons? Only experience? Does the additional bulletin boards come later or should I have more than one by now? What is the smartest thing to do with my first morale orb?

I was always interested in the premise of this game, but was incredibly worried that SE would exploit the seemingly "casual" focus of WiiWare. Wow, they sure as hell ignored that. A full on stats min/max sim game... outstanding and my highest recommendation to people who enjoy this type of game.

webrunner

Evlar said:
The combat log for each adventurer you get at the beginning of every day is, for me, the best part of this. The game is literally running a full-blown Final Fantasy simulation in the background replete with equipment, consumable items, skill sets, encounter rates, hit rates, AI, and on and on... It's so lavishly unnecessary, since they could have accomplished the same "level up your adventurers or fail" mechanic by simply comparing adventurer levels against dungeon levels and performing one dice roll (a lvl 5 character has a 60% chance of beating a lvl 7 dungeon, roll the dice and report back).

I expect some people will be frustrated by the fact the game has an actual RPG buried in it that you don't have access to. I enjoy the inversion of roles though, the idea of managing the support structure (shops, quest-giving, reward granting) that is just background to the action in an RPG. It's a cool idea and the detailed logs of each monster encounter provide necessary feedback for believing in the coherence of the world beyond your little town's walls.

If your guys are having trouble with a certain area, reading the logs can determine WHY they're having trouble with that area, which is an amazing feature.

borghe said:
This is by far the crown jewel of WiiWare. It won't appeal to everyone, but those of us who love a good sim-style game this one is unbelievable. As someone else said, I too purchased all the DLC. Part of it was just the novelty, but as I'm playing I feel that had you slapped the game and all DLC on a disc and sold it for $30 it would be worth every penny. Actually that might not even be a bad idea for square :p

I am still just starting off, only an hour in. I just finished the behest for the dandelion location so I can get it and make parks. I've also beat the ever living hell out of the first three dungeons.

Questions: Do you no longer receive elementine from fully explored dungeons? Only experience? Does the additional bulletin boards come later or should I have more than one by now? What is the smartest thing to do with my first morale orb?

I was always interested in the premise of this game, but was incredibly worried that SE would exploit the seemingly "casual" focus of WiiWare. Wow, they sure as hell ignored that. A full on stats min/max sim game... outstanding and my highest recommendation to people who enjoy this type of game.

1. One dungeon has "Bulletin Park+" as a bonus if you clear it- this gives you a second bulliten board.

I do notice you sometimes get SOME elementine from going back to places, but not nearly as much as if they find "large elementine" when searching, or when you beat a boss.

For orbs, I put them all into upgrading the town until I didn't have enough orbs to do that, then I used the orbs to power up my guys as they leave

I'm on the second chapter, and I really like this game.
Like others have said, it's really not for everyone, but those that like good micromanaging, it's great.

I got this last night. I was very skeptical before my purchase. Sure the Final Fantasy name and the outstanding graphics drew me in, but the high price and mention of DLC was a big turn off.

Lets just say that I am a tired puppy this morning because I played this game until 2am without even realizing it. This game is fun as hell. You reall get attached to your town, your citizens, and the level of depth equiping them and conquering dungeons.

As for the two things that initially held me back? $15 dollars seemed like a lot at first, but after playing this game a few hours I feel I got my complete moneys worth. This feels pretty close to a full retail game, in both presentation and content. I am also relieved to say that Square handled the downloadable content right. I was worried that this game would feel gimped, like key features were missing. Thankfully that's not the case and this game feels like the full experince. I never thought I would say this but I'm considering buying some of it. At least when Chimes bikini comes out <3

Deku

Banned
webrunner said:
If your guys are having trouble with a certain area, reading the logs can determine WHY they're having trouble with that area, which is an amazing feature.

1. One dungeon has "Bulletin Park+" as a bonus if you clear it- this gives you a second bulliten board.

I do notice you sometimes get SOME elementine from going back to places, but not nearly as much as if they find "large elementine" when searching, or when you beat a boss.

For orbs, I put them all into upgrading the town until I didn't have enough orbs to do that, then I used the orbs to power up my guys as they leave

So House+ rewards increases the cap of houses in-game?

I didn't know that.

webrunner

Deku said:
So House+ rewards increases the cap of houses in-game?

I didn't know that.
Well, that is true, but you arrived it at through a misunderstanding :lol

(blah)+ adds to your # of whatever that can be placed. If you have ZERO to start with, then it also enables it.
Bulletin Park isn't actually the same bulletin board you start with- it's a 4x4 park with a bulletin board on it (you can't fit it in that 1x1 next to the board, for instance)

So getting Bulletin Park+ ups your limit in Bulletin Parks from 0 to 1

Edit: Maybe someone should compile a list of buildings and what they do
This is what I know of:

House - 1x1 - Adds one civilian, one novice and 10 gil tithe per day
Spacious House - 2x1- Adds 3 civilians, one novice, and 30 gil tithe per day. The civilians move in next day
Bakery - 2x1 - Makes your civilians happier. (Do buildings come with people or do they use townspeople?)
Item Shop - 2x2 - Allows your adventurers to buy items*
Gaming Hall - 2x1 - Thief class building. Also allows adventurers to chill out*
Park - 2x1 - Adventurers come here at the beginning of the day, preventing them from getting tired as quickly
Bulletin Park - 2x2 - Adds another bulletin board
White Mage Temple - 3x2 White Mage class building*
Black Mage Temple - 3x2 Black Mage class building*
Weapon Shop - 3x2 - Sells weapons to adventurers*
Armor Shop - 3x2 - Sells armor to adventurers*
Training Hall - 3x2 - Warrior class building**, also allows adventurers to level up without leaving the town. *
Tavern - 2x1 Allows the formation of one static party, and allows your adventurers to form temporary parties of their own.
Guild hall - 3x2 Allows increase of adventurer wages (so they can buy more equipment) and increase of adventurer cap. One of the few buildings nobody in town ever really has to visit
Inn - ??

DLC buildings - ??

* Keep in mind an adventurer will usually visit every type of store and their class building on the way out of town.
** You get warriors by default, so you don't need the class building to make warriors, but you can't turn an adventurer back into a warrior or train warrior skills without the training hall.

I'm not sure if the weapon/armor shop are 3x2, if they're not they're 2x2.

webrunner said:
How do the Orbs work? I have no idea what they do.

I accedently used one and it turned my bar Red for a moment, but I have no idea what it did. It has since then filled back up but I dont know what to do with it.

webrunner

RuneFactoryFanboy said:

I accedently used one and it turned my bar Red for a moment, but I have no idea what it did. It has since then filled back up but I dont know what to do with it.

You can go tgo the castle and put it towards upgrading your town level, or you can ask Chime to "increase loyalty" which gives you a certain amount of time (while the bar is red and emptying) to talk to people. When you talk to a civilian it increases his morale a lot, as well as his relationships with other townspeople. If you talk to an adventurer, it temporally boosts their stats. If you have a tough mission and orbs to spare, wait by the town gate and talk to all your adventurers as they leave.

Thanks.

I dont quite understand what morale does for me, other than just keeping people happy. Is there a point to it outside of that?

And whats the reason to upgrade your towns level with spheres?

thetrin

RuneFactoryFanboy said:

When your bar turns red, you use it to raise morale in the town by talking to people. It strengthens relationships within the town.

Top Bottom