• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Offical Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles - My Life as a King Thread

thetrin said:
I'm downloading it right now. I never download VC (the whole concept of downloading games I already own is lost on me), so I have tons of space on my Wii. I'll offer my thoughts in a bit...
so you are saying you owned every single vc games released already?

webrunner

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Thanks.

I dont quite understand what morale does for me, other than just keeping people happy. Is there a point to it outside of that?

And whats the reason to upgrade your towns level with spheres?

I imagine stuff starts going wrong if they get unhappy.

As for upgrading the town level.. she mentioned a few bonuses the first time but I forget what they were.

Anyone know what gives you more orbs? I had one orb, then upgraded my town, and then to upgrade it again i needed 2 orbs, then a few days later I suddenly had two orbs, now I need three, but I dont know how to get the third one

webrunner said:

As for upgrading the town level.. she mentioned a few bonuses the first time but I forget what they were.

Anyone know what gives you more orbs? I had one orb, then upgraded my town, and then to upgrade it again i needed 2 orbs, then a few days later I suddenly had two orbs, now I need three, but I dont know how to get the third one

You also get to stay out later if your citizens have strong family ties.

The third orb is unlocked depending on how far you are in the game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
flintstryker said:
so you are saying you owned every single vc games released already?

No, but I already own the carts of all the ones I am the least bit interested in.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
sprocket said:
I am very addicted to this game! I stayed up way too late last night playing.

I'm pretty damn addicted as well. This game is a big surprise for me.

Nishastra

Banned
webrunner said:

Town level affects the kind of behests you can do in the town itself. Mid-level you can have holidays, and at high level you can take requests from citizens (like find my lost item). At the highest level, you can address your people from the tower. I'm not entirely sure what that does yet, though :p

The orbs come from bakeries and emporiums.

w1ndst0rm

I am really enjoying the game as well. (except for the now always expected SE too long tutorial handholding)

I appreciate the Enix influence of silent protagonists.

I enjoy the concept and the mechanics. But especially the story telling. I was actually worried about one of the adventures I sent out. The entire day was covered with a sesne of dread. I will find out what heppened tonight when I get home from work.

An apology: I was just trying to be funny in my now closed thread. (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294819)
I didn't mean to break any rules or rustle any feathers. FF fan fiction flows in the now slow and boring lending world.

sabin1001

So does anyone else get weird graphical shimmering while playing the game? It only seems to happen at certain view points around the city. It just looks like a lot of random pixels getting stuck at the wrong color when it happens, then the scene changes and it'll be gone. It almost always happens when I'm near the crystal, but I've seen it in situations where the crystal isn't involved at all. It's as though they have some sort of broken graphics filter.

Either that or my Wii is not doing well with the game, so that's why I'm asking to see if anyone else has noticed this.

kiryogi

Banned
Activate them for morale boost by summoning Chime, or spend them to develop your realm at the castle.

On my own note. I absolutely love this game. Based of my gameplay logs on the wii (Love this feature). I played it for 11 hours yesterday in one sitting. A new record for me! Last time I played a game anywhere close to that long was Zelda back at launch. Which was around 9 hours.

Volcynika

kiryogi said:
Activate them for morale boost by summoning Chime, or spend them to develop your realm at the castle.

On my own note. I absolutely love this game. Based of my gameplay logs on the wii (Love this feature). I played it for 11 hours yesterday in one sitting. A new record for me! Last time I played a game anywhere close to that long was Zelda back at launch. Which was around 9 hours.

How do you do that part, I figured out how to do the morale thing, but that part seems confusing to activate.

EDIT: Nvm, I figured it out.

Canti

Great game, much better than I was expecting. Started playing this morning, told myself I'd quit at day 7 and didn't stop until day 21. Always telling myself "I'll just clear that next area so I can make a new building and quit". I was also complaining about the DLC beforehand but now tempted to buy it >:

supercake

I'm enjoying the game so far, just got to Chapter 3. It's essentially a boring game all the way, but it's addicting also.

I'm liking how I don't really need to halt progress and level up my adventurers or gain gold. I've been making steady progress the entire time, never having much problems with clearing dungeons.

I don't think you can have direct control over who wants to become adventurers, so I don't see a reason to worry if someones stats are a little low for a W/B Mage. I wish it wasn't so much work to change jobs, and I wish I could just have a list of my adventurers handy at the push of a button.

Scrubking

Whoever said this game was crack was absolutely right - especially for someone like me who has always liked sim games like these. After playing a couple of hours I have to say that this game is well worth the $15 and is one of the best games on the Wii.

Anyway does anyone know how to give my fighters a holiday? And how do you get them into the game hall? Thanks.

Volcynika

Whenever my armor/weapons sellers request armor plating and sword....something, I sent people to go find it, but they get wiped out, and the weird thing is, it's in some lower level areas. 0-o

Nishastra

Banned
Pay attention to how much a behest costs to place. The more expensive it is, the harder it'll be to do. The material-gathering ones in particular are VASTLY more difficult (and therefore more expensive) than the normal stuff in the dungeon.

Scrubking said:
Whoever said this game was crack was absolutely right - especially for someone like me who has always liked sim games like these. After playing a couple of hours I have to say that this game is well worth the $15 and is one of the best games on the Wii.

Anyway does anyone know how to give my fighters a holiday? And how do you get them into the game hall? Thanks.
I don't know about the game hall, but to get national holidays you have to improve your town twice by taking morale balls to the castle and having Chime "improve the castle" or some such. The first one takes 3 single balls, the second takes 3 double balls. After that you can select the castle for a behest and there will be "national holiday" as an option. It's the only behest you can give for the day and takes a lot of gil.

Thanks for the ending stuff, Stumpokapow. Exactly what I was looking for.

Trying to keep my spending down, but this looks very tempting now. Maybe I will hold off for the next set of DLC for it and then purchase this and all the DLC all at once, and then enjoy it. Hmm...

I'm finding that my adventurers are going out to the further missions too late and end up giving up before they complete them. Any way to get them out earlier?

I streamlined my Item, Weapon, and Armor shops so they're all close to one another, but i'mn still finding some guys going out late.

I heard that you can get torches researched, any idea where I would go to get this done?

Deku

Banned
My only gripe is that entering buildings gives you a stock screen and there's really nothing to see.

Memory limitaitons may be part of it, but as the game came well under the size limit for WiiWare, I sure hope they release an expansion which adds in that functionality. And 8 blocks for the town save. SE really aimed low. I can imagine the size of a kingdom with a much larger save file!

Scrubking

DeaconKnowledge said:
I heard that you can get torches researched, any idea where I would go to get this done?

It's supposed to be in the Item shop. I have no idea how to get them to sell it.

My only gripe is that entering buildings gives you a stock screen and there's really nothing to see.

I agree. There's no point in walking into a bakery so why did they implement that? They could have used the resources elswhere. I also feel this game really needed a first person camera option so you could look at the detail.

The only real gripe I have is the map size. I'd love to have a kingdom with separate sections so I could build 3 separate neighborhoods with all the possible accoutrements instead of 1 item, Armor, and Weapon shop for the whole city.

kiryogi

Banned
Here are my thoughts XD

Or so I thought. I originally had intended to write up my thoughts on "Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles - My Life as a King" in diary day to day format. With how the game worked and how I was introduced to it, it felt like the perfect way to convey it. But 11 hours later, so much has occurred that I can't remember what happened and really it just flew by so fast. That said, this game is additively good. Of course, it must be said it's a simulation game, so it won't jive with everyone. But, if you like that type of game, you are in for one hell of a treat. I suppose one of way of seeing it, think of it as Animal Crossing meets Sim City. Any who, let's get down to the thoughts.

It's basically a simulation game that takes place in the Crystal Chronicles universe where you build a kingdom. You get to make over 17 different type of buildings like houses, bakeries or mage academies. Of course, you don't quite start off with all of that. Things start off with only houses, and eager adventurers that you can commission into exploring nearby dungeons. As you clear these dungeons, you'll gain access to more materials which are required to build things, and also schematics to make new types of buildings as well. But you don't actually clear these dungeons like a typical Final Fantasy, you can only influence and observe your adventurers. Instead, you'll get reports every morning documenting the exploration logs of your parties, which are extremely in depth. You basically get a full play by play of every single turn like a real FF battle, but in text. They also tend to make commentaries about their actions in battle or in town. Things like "I was embodied by our conversation" when I spoke to them or justification of their actions with "I do whatever it takes to win" when using the Shadow Blade skill. Now besides the battle reports, like Sim city, there's also a financial report that shows your earnings and losses for the previous day. Good simulation fun isn't it?! Finally, the last thing you can do before starting your morning off is commissioning behests. You can have them do things like find materials, explore dungeons or clear the dungeon boss.

Now that basically covers most of the main game play. And even though it's lacking in action, it's still so addicting statistically. I find myself just wanting to go on to the next day to see what new horizons and treasures await for my adventurers. It's also really neat when you can get your kingdom fully flourished. I find a big sense of pride when you wake up in the morning and see the little ones running around towards the bulletin boards awaiting your approval. If not that, they also might already be preparing for their trip. Which gets on my nerves sometimes when they decide to do their own thing instead of completing my behests. But there's a lot of charm to be derived from the personalities and interactions from the villagers. Like how they bow gracefully when in the king's presence, or comment about their ambitions with the current behest. As I mentioned earlier, I sank like 11 hours into this game in one sitting last night. A new record on my Wii! Last time I did anything close to that was around 9 hours for Zelda when the Wii first launched. It's such a nice little game for what they've managed within the limitations.

fernoca

Well, was going to get either this or Pop today..to compliment Lost Winds and Defend your Castle..

And...darn!
Played it for ..6 hours straight.. :O!!
I'll see if that "momentum" holds during the week, since I was free from work today so had some extra time to play stuff...but, it's really addicting loving it so far..

webrunner

Scrubking said:
It's supposed to be in the Item shop. I have no idea how to get them to sell it.

One of my townspeople keeps saying that an out-of-the-way store will start selling crazy things to get customers. I wonder if that only counts if you have 2 though?

Narag

webrunner said:
One of my townspeople keeps saying that an out-of-the-way store will start selling crazy things to get customers. I wonder if that only counts if you have 2 though?

They're talking about the Emporium, correct?

justchris

Picked this game up yesterday, played it non-stop for almost 10 hours, maybe more, haven't checked. Played it so much, didn't have time to sign into GAF for the official thread.

I've always liked Sim Games, and this is a decent, if simplified city building Sim. The real heart of the game is the Adventurer system though. Everything in my town is organized to strengthen my Adventurers and get them out to dungeons as fast as possible to level and open up new territory. Everytime one dies I feel sorry for them, and make a note to visit them at home later. I even worry about them when they feel from battle. (Except for Samantha, who's an idiot who constantly gets killed, apparently by tripping over stones and smashing into the landscape. I'm not kidding, she told me this.)

Here's a few things I've learned and to answer some questions.

On Morale & Morale Spheres

Morale boosts can be gained in lots of ways. Visiting a Bakery gives a single morale boost. Visiting an Emporium gives a double morale boost. Talking to a citizen gives a single morale boost. However, talking to a citizen who is talking to someone else gives a double morale boost (one for each citizen). Also, when citizens speak to each other, they also give you a double morale boost (one for each citizen).

Once you get a full morale bar, you get morale spheres. There is a limit to the number of morale spheres you have, based on the number of Citizen Shops you have. You get one for each Bakery and two for each Emporium.

Morale Spheres can be used by entering the castle during the day (where you can also buy DLC, change costumes, or talk to chime) to improve your town. Town improvements allow you to perform new and different behests.

Another important use for Morale Spheres, however, is Raising Morale. If you summon Chime, and choose to raise morale, you get a red morale bar which counts down, giving you a limited time to talk to people. Talking to an Adventurer in this state will increase one of their attributes (usually a key attribute for their job) by one for the day. However, who you really want to talk to are the citizens of your town. Each time you talk to them in this state, you increase their relationship with their family. When this relationship maxes out, and you visit their home (while they're there) they'll give you special medals, which you can use to change the personality of your adventurers (like the Vanguard Medal, which makes them seek out the toughest dungeons and gives them bonuses against high level creatures, or the Tavern Freak medal which makes them hang out in Taverns to find groups).

--------------------------

@webrunner

Building info:
Inn - 2x1 - Invites wandering adventurers & merchants to your town.
Emporium - 2x2 - Makes civilians happier (twice as happy as a bakery).

Also, buildings all come with their own people.

--------------------------

On DLC

I really like the way Square did the DLC in this game. None of it is necessary to play, enjoy and complete the game. You're not unlocking cheats, just literal extra content.

The extra races are nice. They take a long time to unlock though, because the dungeons are far away and require a long time (or a lot of adventurers) to explore. Seriously, the Yuke dungeon had to be explored 4 times to find the boss.

Mostly they're just skins, but it's nice to have different races in town. Also, when you unlock the ability to have travelers come through town
with the inn
, you start to get visitors of the races you've unlocked.

Each of the races has a specific class they're best at, and unlike Clavats, they start in that class, so you don't have to do behests for them to change classes. They also generally have higher stats in the classes attributes.

(Although, something you learn later, novices, before they become official sanctioned adventurers, slowly improve their stats based on what buildings they're near. So people near the white mage temple will have greater willpower than those living near the training hall.)

The Dungeon Pack is nice as well, since, once I finally unlocked the Yukes, I ran out of housing space before I could build their hovels to my max limit, so I grabbed that, and hopefully I don't have to beat a level 30 dungeon to unlock them.

Not sure how useful the Shrine is yet. The super big colossal House seems useless, and the Costumes are definitely useless. Everything else is good I think, and worth the cost.

Narag

justchris said:
Not sure how useful the Shrine is yet. The super big colossal House seems useless, and the Costumes are definitely useless. Everything else is good I think, and worth the cost.

Ingame description says the shrine enhances adventurers if you pray to it and also unlocks more magic for BLM and WHM. The day after I built the shrine park, the Thunder line of magic was opened.

Saitou

Banned
I bought this game today, started playing, and didn't move for hours.

This game blows my mind.

But it's the little things. Like sending your adventurers on a fetch quest across town, only to later read what they looted from the houses they were searching. Or, as stated above, how a citizen will casually tell you that houses near job buildings tend to produce adventurers tailored for that job.

Or how when you send someone to train, they'll camp near any restorative fountains and safely farm creeps all day.

It's the anti-RPG. And by Allah, it is good.

...now if only I could find out how to form adventuring parties...

kiryogi

Banned
Someone just linked me to this most awesome image. Actually it's from a flash application, but in the mean time, use this. Pretty damn useful I'd say:

kingdomblueprint.png

justchris

Saitou said:
But it's the little things. Like sending your adventurers on a fetch quest across town, only to later read what they looted from the houses they were searching. Or, as stated above, how a citizen will casually tell you that houses near job buildings tend to produce adventurers tailored for that job.

Oh god yes, that was awesome. Talking to citizens to get information, and rifling through their closets and cupboards while they're there. Exactly like any true Adventurer in any JRPG ever. :lol

Plus, if you actually pay attention to the story, the references it makes to the other FFCC games are pretty great.

Saitou said:
...now if only I could find out how to form adventuring parties...

You have to build a Tavern.
You can only specify one party per tavern (witha max of 3 taverns), but other people will party at random. This sometimes increases the time it takes to form a party, as people will wait around in the Tavern for a bit looking for other members. AI only parties with people of similar level, not sure if it pays attention to jobs.

jman2050

justchris said:
Plus, if you actually pay attention to the story, the references it makes to the other FFCC games are pretty great.

I got a kick out of one of the citizens mentioning the "caravan that cleared the miasma" and how famous they were :lol

Saitou

Banned
justchris said:
I think I caught something from Crystal Bearers... after start freighting families in by skysphere, citizens will comment on how the only thing that flies is that unwieldy thing, but in the future, there might be many flying ships.

Flashback to CB trailer.

pleasebeatE3pleasebeatE3pleasebeatE3pleasebeatE3pleasebeatE3pleasebeatE3pleasebeatE3pleasebeatE3pleasebeatE3pleasebeatE3pleasebeatE3pleasebeatE3pleasebeatE3pleasebeatE3

ivysaur12

Banned
My personal favorite line was when the moogles will turn into "Might Morphing Moogle Monster" or something like that if the bad guys attack the city.

EDIT: Oh, and isn't there supposed to be a way to use the airship to get more people in your town?

jman2050

ivysaur12 said:
EDIT: Oh, and isn't there supposed to be a way to use the airship to get more people in your town?

Basically, for the large houses, only 2 people at most can be recalled when building it. The full family is brought via airship on the next day.

Narag

justchris said:
Actually, I thought they were referring to weapon/armor/item shops. The Emporium doesn't really sell anything of use.

Survival item line (Magic Torches) was opened in my item shop after building one.

Taxman

I've read that you can get breakdowns of everything that happens in a dungeon (as in the moves of every fight.) How do I get access to that stuff?

Edit: Actually, I found that now. New question. Do you have to advance to a certain day or something before you can use orbs in the castle?

justchris

HK-47 said:
So a consenus?

Is the DLC worth it?

Define worth it. The costumes are not. Don't buy them. Unless you like costumes, some people go for that, but it doesn't add anything to the game.

All the other DLC adds new dungeons to explore, and extra stuff to build. The Gorgeous house is bigger than a normal house, so gives more tax money, and can hold more people, so more citizens in town. This doesn't, IMO add that much to the game.

The Shrine and the Racial buildings seem like the best of the DLC, and are definitely worth the money.

Narag said:
Survival item line (Magic Torches) was opened in my item shop after building one.

Ahhh...that makes sense. Hmmm, my armor shop started selling shields and my weapon shop daggers...I wonder if that was because of the Emporium or because I went to the next chapter?

Taxman said:
Edit: Actually, I found that now. New question. Do you have to advance to a certain day or something before you can use orbs in the castle?

Edit: No, you can just walk into the castle anytime during the day to use them. Can't use them during the reporting period at the beginning of the day, have to actually walk into the castle to use them.

Taxman

justchris said:
Edit: No, you can just walk into the castle anytime during the day to use them. Can't use them during the reporting period at the beginning of the day, have to actually walk into the castle to use them.
Nevermind, I'm an idiot tonight.

Narag

justchris said:
Ahhh...that makes sense. Hmmm, my armor shop started selling shields and my weapon shop daggers...I wonder if that was because of the Emporium or because I went to the next chapter?
Should be the emporium. As you build extra shops, they'll specialize in different items. Second weapon shop I opened carries hammers instead of swords.

Taxman

Stupid question time: I want to make parks. I talked to the guy who talks about a park. I talked to the moogle who said to find a dandelion. I did the behest. Now I can't find the moogle again, and it's been like 5 days. Am I missing something?
And which moogle is it again, anyway? It's really annoying that they all look the same.

justchris

Taxman said:
Stupid question time: I want to make parks. I talked to the guy who talks about a park. I talked to the moogle who said to find a dandelion. I did the behest. Now I can't find the moogle again, and it's been like 5 days. Am I missing something?
And which moogle is it again, anyway? It's really annoying that they all look the same.

It's Mogtillo. And you actually have to do 2 quests. The 1st one is in town, to find information. The 2nd one is in one of the dungeons (I forget which and I'm not at home), to actually find the flowers. Just check each of the dungeons for available behests. It should be one you've beat already.

Stumpokapow said:
- Automatically overwrites your game clear data, so make sure you pick the right difficulty to start new game plus.
So does that mean after you beat the game you lose all your town data and build a new town? :\

Thats dumb.

Anywayz: In Chapter 2 right now, Im reall liking this game more than I thought I would.

Top Bottom