• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Ace Combat 6 thread of narrative bloat and online joy

gkryhewy

X26 said:
There's 4 I think. AC games are pretty easy so this time around I started at expert and while I've died a couple times it's not too bad. Adds tension and excitement knowing you're not invulnerable like on other difficulties.

ALTHOUGH, sadly, unlike in previous games the hardest difficulty doesn't result in you getting destroyed after a single missile hit. I've taken direct hits on hard and lived, which is lame.

I think there are 6 difficulties:

1. EASY
2. NORMAL
3. HARD
4. EXPERT (unlocked by beating campaign on any difficulty, I think - I beat it on normal)
5. ACE (unlockable by beating campaign on expert)
6. ACE OF ACES (unlockable in some mysterious way, but shown as a grayed-out option after one clear).

X26

Banned
gkrykewy said:
I think there are 6 difficulties:

1. EASY
2. NORMAL
3. HARD
4. EXPERT (unlocked by beating campaign on any difficulty, I think - I beat it on normal)
5. ACE (unlockable by beating campaign on expert)
6. ACE OF ACES (unlockable in some mysterious way, but shown as a grayed-out option after one clear).

Well that explains things, thanks

X26 said:
There's 4 I think. AC games are pretty easy so this time around I started at expert and while I've died a couple times it's not too bad. Adds tension and excitement knowing you're not invulnerable like on other difficulties.

ALTHOUGH, sadly, unlike in previous games the hardest difficulty doesn't result in you getting destroyed after a single missile hit. I've taken direct hits on hard and lived, which is lame.

Well there are still 3 difficulty levels higher than Hard.

edit: Didn't see we're on another page

gkryhewy

X26 said:

If you fly the CFA-44 online (which again is bullshit and should be blockable by the host, IMO), the AWACS dude says 'there's a decorated ace flying with/against us today - give him a hero's welcome/stay on your toes'. I hear that if you beat the game on ACE OF ACES, this changes to "STEP ASIDE, BITCHES".

Maggot9 said:
How's the music? Epic like the others? Does this one have a "theme" like the others?
The music is amazing. That's one of the standout features of the game for me. I really like every single song so far of the 5 levels I've played, besides the main menu theme which is basic tech squirt sounding stuff from the PS1 days, but still fits. I can't remember the last game, movie, or album to where I've enjoyed every single track back to back 5 levels in a row. They all have that action/despration sound to them, which fits perfectly with the story, diologue, and the action on screen. And yes it has a theme that is mixed in with a few of the mission tracks.

I have absolutley no idea what's going on with the plot so far though. So far I'm simply being introduced to new characters inbetween levels. I hope it all ties together in the middle somewhere.

Graphics, gameplay, online, all great. Minor aliasing on smoke trails and blured textures on close up objects but the game looks great otherwise.

Y2Kev said:
I walk on

I am unable to think

I am empty

*shoots self*

MATILDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SPOILER?
I felt kinda bad for the mom as in the span of the first few missions she thought she lost her daughter and her husband...but I know that the daughter is alive and kicking so far...

gkryhewy

X26 said:

Just played through half of the campaign on expert. It is one-hit-kill, but doesn't otherwise seem terribly hard.

I also unlocked the third (last non-DLC) color for the F-15E, which is awesome. It unlocked at a random time, so I'm thinking it's tied to the amount of use the other colors have gotten (I had 400k+ kills with the first and second colors at the time).

Llyranor

Finally got to play the game. Flightstick is great. It's a bit large, and the suction sometimes doesn't stay stuck during brisker moves, but overall I find it adds a *lot*. I'm a sucker for peripherals, and really enjoyed Guitar Hero II thanks to the guitar (and I usually have zero interest in music/rhythm games) and had some good fun with Forza2 with the wheel (and I usually have zero interest in racing games/sims - Mario Kart being the only series I enjoy).

I used to really enjoy X-Wing vs Tie Fighter with a joystick, even though I was really bad at the time (which I can partly blame on the bad quality of the joystick - no more MS sidewinders, ever).

I played the demo with the controller, and they were more than good enough, but I was especially excited about getting the flightstick. Trying out the tutorial to test out the controls, it was a bit difficult to get used to. I... failed the tutorials on some occasions (such as trying to turn and stay within the rings -_-). Having going through the tutorial and the first two missions, I'm starting to get used to the controls, and I find them to quite add to the experience. I don't think I'd be able to go back. Maneuvers like G-turns can be quite effectively pulled off with the flightstick. I'll also pull out the immersion card. Playing in cockpit view, I was pretty hooked within the game. At some point, I found myself physically slightly ducking down as I evaded a missile that just passed above my plane. Which was awesome.

I played the first 2 missions on hard. It's not especially difficult, but there's a decent amount of challenge, enough to not bore me. I've had to replay them a few times. It was nice to see myself get downed within 5 secs of the first mission by missiles - that was my main concern with the demo; no risk of dying. Most of my deaths, admittedly, were from crashing into immobile obstactles. Still, I'll likely be replaying this through all the unlockable difficulty levels.

I played the two coop missions, which were great fun. A lot of stuff going on, and the respawning system (losing time per death) seemed to work well. I can't wait to play those missions in full teamwork mode with some buddies, rather than going rather FFA-ish with randoms. It's a real shame there aren't more of these. The campaign in coop mode would have been AWESOME.

I also played one team battle (8v8 or something). I'm not usually a PvP gamer (though I've been getting a little into Halo3 team PvP), but I found that to be good fun. Missiles flying off everywhere while I was trying to dodge them from every direction via the radar. This game online will probably have good lasting value for me.

Music so far is good stuff.

The story is hilariously bad. It's a shame, since good writing and VA could have had potential.

Overall, as a newcomer to the series, I'm very impressed. If the premise of a flight action game intrigues you, you probably won't go wrong with this (from early impressions). If you can afford it, I can't recommend the flightstick enough. It's awesome. I'll be sure to support any future titles from the series for the 360, including remakes.

gkrykewy said:
Just played through half of the campaign on expert. It is one-hit-kill, but doesn't otherwise seem terribly hard.

I also unlocked the third (last non-DLC) color for the F-15E, which is awesome. It unlocked at a random time, so I'm thinking it's tied to the amount of use the other colors have gotten (I had 400k+ kills with the first and second colors at the time).

The 3rd color for each plane is actually acquired by shooting down the enemy Ace that flies that plane.

Finished Mission 9 last night. Amazing!!! I really like the game so far but I've seen some odd things such as friendly helicopters freaking out and zooming everywhere, audio glitches with music dropping out, and the SU-35s or whatever being near impossible to kill.

gkryhewy

Valkyr Junkie said:
The 3rd color for each plane is actually acquired by shooting down the enemy Ace that flies that plane.

Thanks; yeah, I realized that after acquiring a few more. It was just a happy coincidence that the first one I got was for my favorite and most-used plane.

Just finished the game on expert and unlocked the CFA-44 and Ace Mode. More importantly, just before beating it I experienced the coolest death ever:

I'd wasted a bit too much time flying around the last section of the last mission, and the chandelier's barrel was starting to close. I quickly flew in as they were starting the countdown for another cruise missile launch. Just before I was able to launch my missiles for the core, they fired the rail gun, and I was killed by it (inside the barrel).

bran

Is it possible to get shot in this game? I'm playing on normal difficulty level and the hud tells me I'm getting radar locked by a missile, but if I just mind my own business and ignore the missile warning, it just goes away :p. WTF?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
the engine stranded us under the aerial battle

it managed to get us this far

that woman is doing cpr

tears flow from my eyes like molten lava

a donkey wearing a pink dress tumbles along the side street

like a weed

or perhaps

like human existence

gkryhewy

Y2Kev said:
the engine stranded us under the aerial battle

it managed to get us this far

that woman is doing cpr

tears flow from my eyes like molten lava

like a weed

or perhaps

like human existence

Wait, so... you don't like the dialog? I could've sworn from your other posts that you do.

Y2Kev said:

Wait, what?

------

Unrelated: I'm going to back down on my comments about the CFA-44 online. Having earned it, it's actually a bitch to use the railgun online against unpredictably moving targets. Not really an unfair advantage after all, although once the Japanese players get the hang of it...

Narag

Mission 12 was such a nice surprise. I was a bit worried about the few amount of campaign missions compared to other games but these are nice and involved. Mission 12 felt the most Ace Combat to me so far aside from 9 and came not too long after wishing there was a
B7R
-type clusterfuck scenario. Such a great game. :D

EGM92

Beat the game last night, VERY VERY disappointed at the ending/final mission. I also wish the game were longer than it is. I'm replaying it on HARD to get all the planes/weapons. I'll probably play it on ACE after and get all the medals.

EGM92 said:
Beat the game last night, VERY VERY disappointed at the ending/final mission. I also wish the game were longer than it is. I'm replaying it on HARD to get all the planes/weapons. I'll probably play it on ACE after and get all the medals.

Unfortunately you have to beat Expert to unlock Ace. Although Pasternak's plane you unlock for beating Hard makes going through the game take almost no time. Plus Shamrock gets one too.

EGM92

Does Shamerocks AI get bumped up as well on the harder difficulties? I'm playing on hard, I have an F-22 as my plane of choice, on the first 4 missions Shamerock took over 76% damage each mission.

Well, I have to say I enjoyed the game, but it really feels kinda short compared to even (yes) the PSP game. While I like some of the things the "next-gen" mission structure gives, like seamless landing/takeoff in the mission zone, going to the big, everything-goes missions really sort of dulled the impact of the game. I think Namco could have got a lot more out of the setup by using it for major battles, say, every 4 missions or so, with the smaller style single objective missions making up the rest.

I guess it would help too, if it didn't feel like I was the only guy providing air cover in most of the levels. Would hate to see what Aces mode is like. :lol

...And of course, AC5 just blows it away in terms of story, narrative, wingmen chatter, planes, controls, missions, etc. But this one feels like a different sort of beast so I'll cut it some slack.

Favorite mission is probably the one with all of the tunnels. The AI wasn't stupid in that one, and you could really mix up your approaches.

X26

Banned
So I beat it on both hard and expert, and overall I enjoyed the SP but the missions weren't nearly as memorable as in AC4 and AC5 (never played zero). Also, the story in AC6 is as bad as it gets, wheras with the previous games it wasn't too bad (Mobius/Megalith = Razgriz/Nagase/MOTHER FUCCKING YELLOW 13 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Talisman/Gracemeria v. Estovakia)

Online still feels way too barebones and has no real lasting appeal, no one is going to bother getting those achievements

The CFA-44 is retarded in SP, but I was hoping for something cooler looking as the "ultimate" plane like in the previous games. In MP it blows, the railgun isn't a one hit kill and the SP missiles can't be used so you're better off using anything else. And is it just me or were there a bit less planes this time around? The F4 isn't even in this one, wtf :(

At Mission 7 now. Gameplay's better than I thought it would be, I'm enjoying the very large battles and finally having the ability to land and rearm on the same field instead of always crossing a return line. However I imagine those are things that they've wanted to do for a while now but just weren't possible with PS2 hardware. I echo Crazymoogle's sentiments that the story, mission design, wingmen chatter, and narrative are (so far) much worse than Ace Combat 5. Christ is the narrative bad. Go dance with the angels lolololol.

Okay Mission 9 is batshit retarded. It's basically the
destroy the arkbird
mission from Ace Combat 5 turned into an annoying battle of attrition.

Pakman

EGM92 said:
Does Shamerocks AI get bumped up as well on the harder difficulties? I'm playing on hard, I have an F-22 as my plane of choice, on the first 4 missions Shamerock took over 76% damage each mission.

I'm going to conclude your copy of AC6 is some weird screwed up version. I'm assuming you got that one issue fixed (the storage device one)? I've played most of my missions again on expert (with Raptors) and Shamrock never takes damage. When I first beat it on hard I don't remember Shamrock ever taking damage.

Exactly how much are you relying on Shamrock on your missions? Maybe it's because I never bother sending him much commands except the cover command?

How the hell do you defeat Pasternak? His "plane" seems to undergo epilepsy every two minutes and I can't find him. Not to mention none of my missiles can even get a glance at him(playing on Hard). What is this Macross shit doing in Ace Combat anyway.

Narag

Red Blaster said:
How the hell do you defeat the Pasternak? What is this Macross Plus shit doing in Ace Combat.
Its always been in there.

I think had to QAAM spam Pasternak while using allied attack on the uavs that'd screw up targetting against him. It reminded me a lot of the Pixy fight from AC0.

In fact now that I think about it, it basically was that fight as I took him headon but had to predict where he was going to be before he made another pass[ due to losing targeting.

Also, I just remembered I took advantage of the airfield nearby. Whichever plane I was using at the time could take off before Pasternak could get a chance to kill me on the tarmac.

So then I basically have to use the Su-33 for the mission then? Considering the only other plane I have that has QAAMs is the bathtub F-117.

Narag

Red Blaster said:
So then I basically have to use the Su-33 for the mission then? Considering the only other plane I have that has QAAMs is the bathtub F-117.
I'm sure there's other ways around it but that's just how I did it. Playing it again right now actually to see if my memory hasn't failed me in the past few days.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Damn, that's a hot flight stick...I guess it sucks as a lefty though :'( ( getting major 90s flashbacks ).

Nif

He stopped in mid-air for me, then flew in a straight line pretty slowly. I guess he does this just before jumping quickly to avoid you, or it's a bug. Shoot now, ask questions later.

I enjoyed it. This was my first Ace Combat, so it took some time to grow on me. I'm into space shooters like X-Wing/Tie Fighter and Freespace 2, so I was kind of hoping it'd fill the hole those left. It came pretty close. I hate the ground targets very much. I would have preferred
more mothership battles.

I wish I had the flight stick, but it was too pricey for me, and I'm sure I would only use it on this game. Maybe if I didn't already have one for PC. :(

Pakman

Nif said:
He stopped in mid-air for me, then flew in a straight line pretty slowly. I guess he does this just before jumping quickly to avoid you, or it's a bug. Shoot now, ask questions later.

I enjoyed it. This was my first Ace Combat, so it took some time to grow on me. I'm into space shooters like X-Wing/Tie Fighter and Freespace 2, so I was kind of hoping it'd fill the hole those left. It came pretty close. I hate the ground targets very much. I would have preferred
more mothership battles.

I wish I had the flight stick, but it was too pricey for me, and I'm sure I would only use it on this game. Maybe if I didn't already have one for PC. :(

He stopped mid-air when I beat him to (it was like my 4th attempt since I kept running out of time. I launched all 6 of my XMA missiles and they all nailed him. That one shot nearly wiped him out and once he's low on health he apparently stops warping.

EGM92

Pakman said:
I'm going to conclude your copy of AC6 is some weird screwed up version. I'm assuming you got that one issue fixed (the storage device one)? I've played most of my missions again on expert (with Raptors) and Shamrock never takes damage. When I first beat it on hard I don't remember Shamrock ever taking damage.

Exactly how much are you relying on Shamrock on your missions? Maybe it's because I never bother sending him much commands except the cover command?

The storage problem only occurs when the console is in the horizontal position, it takes a good 5 minutes to detect the HDD is there while when it's vertical it finds it near instantly. The disk is in MINT condition with no issues and it does this on both my 360 premiums.

I don't rely on Shamrock too much but on some targets when we're flying together I'll finish attacking a group of fighter and then instead of chasing after the last one while my missiles reload I just set the command from cover to attack and within a couple of seconds you have a nice missile chasing him followed by "Shamerock bagged another one" or some generic quote. I do use him when targetting multiple targets it does save me time of looping back to pick off a SAM or AA.

Strangely enough, I beat the game using the A10. Normally I would almost never use it in Ace Combat, but in this game there are so many ground targets and the A10's extended rocket fire seems like the best way to deal with it. Of course, defeating the CFA took a little while. Not for those easily shaken by vertigo.

I kinda look forward to trying to get the full mission sweep using some other planes, because the A10 is bloody useless for air-to-air. It stalls 10k before the E767 support ship; I could usually only get one shot off before falling into a dive! :lol

The CFA-44 was actually pretty easy? I mean, I had to use the runway, and the drones were a pain, but I could usually take out a bunch with the machine gun, and then Pasternak was generally moving slowly in a straight line. Way, way easier than the Drones level earlier in the game.

No HDD delay issues on my elite, btw. I wish it wouldn't keep asking me at game loadup though...can't the system figure out that there is only one memory device plugged in? (Probably some sort of crappy cert issue.)

Pakman

Just noticed this today (don't think it's been mentioned) but the Scarface F-16C skin was made a free download. Probably the most plain one of all the skins, but that's fine by my books since I'm not a fan of the others.

Aggelos

twinturbo2 said:
Yeah, Ace Combat is like the PGR of flight action games. It's not sim, but it's not arcadey either.

Its somewhere in between. Arcade-style flight-combat game or simplified flight-combat-sim game.

Btw those who ask about the music should check out this (its the theme that was in the AC6 trailers)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/yi6w24

http://www.badongo.com/file/4620449

Anybody have good-quality direct-feed screenshots of the CFA-44 Nosferatu?

Quick question. In this game the enemies are clearly supposed to Russian or some such, were the previous ace combat games more ambiguous about nationality?

edit: sometimes the kind of mistakes i make surprise even me.

Narag

Lostconfused said:
Quick question. In this game the enemies are clearly supposed to Russian or some such, were the previous ace combat games more ambiguous out nationality?

Not really. Yuktobania was pretty blatant.

EGM92

SlaughterX said:
How the hell do I put out my landing gear with the stick (Left stick)?

All you have to do is slow down, get close to the ground, raise the nose of the plane and you can land.

Narag

SlaughterX said:
Didn't work for me, I crashed and explodeded... :(

It keeps telling me to push in the left stick, but I can't do it!

They'll tell you when you're in the flight corridor. Press the left stick in,gear should come down and you'll get a large + sign on the screen to help guide you in.

Top Bottom