• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Ace Combat 6 thread of narrative bloat and online joy

Pakman

Is it just me or do you guys keep getting dropped in team battle games? It seems 1 out of every 3 games I loose connection to the host and drop a minute after a battle starts. Is that because the damn host is quitting or is it something else? Because this is driving me nuts.

gkryhewy

Pakman said:
Is it just me or do you guys keep getting dropped in team battle games? It seems 1 out of every 3 games I loose connection to the host and drop a minute after a battle starts. Is that because the damn host is quitting or is it something else? Because this is driving me nuts.

It's only happened to me once.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Holy fucking shit this game looks unbelievable. Like UNBELIEVABLE unbelievable.

I just popped it in and it just looks so amazing. Bright, colorful, the opening cinema was fantastic (though way overwrought, but it's Project Aces so whatever). The planes are so gorgeous I don't want to shift into the plane HUD mode. The smoke trails are obscene, the ocean looks fabulous, and you can see the enemy bombing and their little bombs hitting. And the music!

Project Aces is the only team at namco worth a crap graphically. This game looks ABSURD.

gkryhewy

Y2Kev said:
Holy fucking shit this game looks unbelievable. Like UNBELIEVABLE unbelievable.

I just popped it in and it just looks so amazing. Bright, colorful, the opening cinema was fantastic (though way overwrought, but it's Project Aces so whatever). The planes are so gorgeous I don't want to shift into the plane HUD mode. The smoke trails are obscene, the ocean looks fabulous, and you can see the enemy bombing and their little bombs hitting. And the music!

Project Aces is the only team at namco worth a crap graphically. This game looks ABSURD.

This post and your David Wright avatar make me feel conflicted.

X26

Banned
Got it today, only played the first 4 missions and 1 team battle (tried to play more but kept getting dropped...)

The SP is solid and what I expected. Story is bad, and I don't like how there's an obvious "good" side and "bad" side whereas previous AC games there wasn't necessarily either, but AC isn't known for its plots so it's not a big deal (however I really didn't think AC4 or 5's was all that bad). Game looks amazing. The planes, smoke, the water, the clouds, everything. The sound is great as well. However I often have a hard time seeing icons, and the text is way too small, then again, I'm playing on a SDTV.

MP sofar is a huge letdown. Why can't I see my own MP stats anywhere? Why aren't leaderboards ordered through top score, your score, friends, like in EVERY other game? Why no squad support? Why no real post-game stats? Why no emblem designing abilty?

Maggot9 said:
How's the music? Epic like the others? Does this one have a "theme" like the others?

The music is great just like the other games. There's the recurring "Gracemaria" theme, and there's also a really pumping theme that is played during one of the final fights. Those are the songs that always standout in AC games for me.

Yea, the game is beautiful. The scale of the engagements is so much greater than previously, too. I'm having a little trouble picking out the TGTs from the piles of enemies at times, but nothing too bad.

Ally attacks are pretty devastating, and very cool-looking with all those missiles flying in to the targets with great-looking exhaust trails. I sort of miss the made-up planes with their upgradeable parts that X had, as they made for more "loot" from completing missions beyond the regular planes and their SP weapons.

The writing is horrible, even more so than I had expected, but I don't really care about that. Haven't touched MP yet.

Y2Kev

Holy tit balls this game is insane. I just beat mission six with the nice wind effect and the smoke and rain everywhere....it's absolutely stunning and completely an adrenaline rush.

The only thing that bothers me is that the scale is so bizarre. But it's always been that way. The trees on the ground are apparently like 90000 feet tall.

the music is so good, the writing is honestly like unbelievably bad. the opening cutscene would cause me to kill myself every time if not for the nice music and that awesome crescendo

Y2Kev

Absolutely. Flying through a mountain pass and then coming out of the clouds and seeing the ground so detailed is stunning. It's only when you get really close to the ground does the illusion fall apart at all. It's absolutely shocking how good it looks, it's just kind of a shame you don't even get to see the plane detail if you are playing well. :D

RavenFox

Banned
watership said:
They're not 'next gen' but they're very in tune with the digital text type displays the series always has used. It's a design choice, representing the digital displays in modern fighter aircraft.

/air combat apologist. :D
Your absolutely right about that. No need to apologize. Man this game looks all type of awesome.

gettergooey said:
Final game time was around 5:20 hours, which was pretty disappointing. I expected it to be a lot longer.

If you don't die and restart a lot, the Ace games have all been pretty short. The only missions that take a long time are typically the last two, and the one in the middle where you have to fly down a canyon or through some caves or loiter and engage serial groups of enemies--the "apocalypse is coming!" act change missions.

Good ol' Ace Combat--predictable and great!

gkryhewy

Just beat the campaign for the first time (on normal). Clear time 4:41. Next will be expert.

What a game! I'd put it right up with Ace Combat 4, making it one of my favorite games of all time and tied for best in the series. People are bitching about the writing and voice acting, but I really had no issue except for the odd/awkward "dance with the angels" line and its ubiquitous use. Some nice AC4 fanservice in the design of the final level.

Y2Kev said:
Holy tit balls this game is insane. I just beat mission six with the nice wind effect and the smoke and rain everywhere....it's absolutely stunning and completely an adrenaline rush.

Weather effects? Now I'm hyped, how do they look?

Y2Kev

I took some OMFGBBQ shots I will upload as soon as I am done with mission 7, which is a biotch.

Y2Kev

The game has a replay mode, which makes it bizarre there is no photo mode.

anyway, uploading now

Y2Kev

Feast your eyes on this:

ace1.jpg

ace2.jpg

ace3.jpg

gkryhewy

I'm really liking the Team Battle mode online - haven't had any of the dropping problems other people have had. Teams get bonuses at certain score mileposts - a squadron of NPC support fighters, or access to AWACS assistance, for example.

I agree that the online feels a little weak presentation-wise, but the meat is just so good! Hopefully the dropping issue some are having can be corrected with a patch.

Saw the big box with the joystick . . . wow, it even includes a throttle. Looks nice.

Will there be additional games that use this joystick? Will any other publishers make games that use it?

Bebpo

Banned
How does this game play on a controller?

I've never really understood the AC series. I picked up 4 w/flightstick but all I made it through was the training and the first few missions. Was too complicated for me. I enjoy arcade flight games like Afterburner where you just fly straight and shoot stuff while rolling and I enjoyed sim-type ones like Wing Commander, Tie Fighter, Colony Wars back in the day, but last time I tried AC it was just confusing. I swear every mission was like fly until you are in range and your missle locks turn red then let go on the circle x repeat for 20 mins.

Is AC6 a sort of newbie/mainstream AC for people like me who don't get the AC series? I love the graphics and soundtrack so I'm sort of tempted to get it after a price drop, but then I think of AC4 and I step away.

gkryhewy

Bebpo said:
How does this game play on a controller?

I've never really understood the AC series. I picked up 4 w/flightstick but all I made it through was the training and the first few missions. Was too complicated for me. I enjoy arcade flight games like Afterburner where you just fly straight and shoot stuff while rolling and I enjoyed sim-type ones like Wing Commander, Tie Fighter, Colony Wars back in the day, but last time I tried AC it was just confusing. I swear every mission was like fly until you are in range and your missle locks turn red then let go on the circle x repeat for 20 mins.

Is AC6 a sort of newbie/mainstream AC for people like me who don't get the AC series? I love the graphics and soundtrack so I'm sort of tempted to get it after a price drop, but then I think of AC4 and I step away.

AC4 is generally considered to be the pinnacle of the series, so if you couldn't get into that, then this probably won't work for you either. I'm not sure why that would be, though, if you enjoyed Wing Commander. That's probably a similar level of sim/arcade balance.

I've never played AC with a stick - always used controllers. AC games control beautifully with dual analog.

gkryhewy

Okay... looks like if this isn't patched, ranked online is going to end up populated by CFA-44 (this is a bonus plane you unlock by beating the game on hard) railgun spammers. In player matches, the host can limit plane and weapon selections, but not in ranked matches.

gkrykewy said:
Okay... looks like if this isn't patched, ranked online is going to end up populated by CFA-44 (this is a bonus plane you unlock by beating the game on hard) railgun spammers. In player matches, the host can limit plane and weapon selections, but not in ranked matches.

This was my one fear that there would be some ridiculous plane that broke the entire online mode.

I get my copy this thursday so I guess I will see how bad it is for myself.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I haven't played any of the Ace Combat games before, and I'm not sure if I'm into simulation style of flying. I like that stuff a bit arcadish.

But the wallpapers makes me wanna buy this game when released here.

I remember trading in my SNES and saving to buy a PS1 just to get Air Combat (as the first one was called in the US)... Even then the graphics were out of this world for the time.

Gameflyed it, came with no instruction book. For the life of my I can't figure out how to use allied cover/allied attack! Does it automatically do that when you have the meter filled up and tell your wingman to cover you or attack?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
ItsInMyVeins said:
I haven't played any of the Ace Combat games before, and I'm not sure if I'm into simulation style of flying. I like that stuff a bit arcadish.

But the wallpapers makes me wanna buy this game when released here.

Ace Combat isn't simulation at all. In any way.

Seriously. Your plane has on average like 300 missiles on it.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Schafer said:

Yeah, Ace Combat is like the PGR of flight action games. It's not sim, but it's not arcadey either.

Anyways, can I get a few people to run through the co-op missions soon?

gkryhewy

mikekennyb said:
For the life of my I can't figure out how to use allied cover/allied attack! Does it automatically do that when you have the meter filled up and tell your wingman to cover you or attack?

When it's shown as an option (meter full enough), HOLD up or down on the d-pad for a second.

EGM92

Ok I'm playing missiong 11, some weird shit is hapening, I'm using a S33 at the moment and I'm just attacking targets until I get high in the sky not touching any clouds and turn the plane over, the screen shifts like it's supposed to but the clouds stay statiionary. It's only happened like 2 times thus far but it's really weird. I'm playing it over HDMI on a 42" Samsung 1080p set just incase anyone is wondering.

At times the game is such sex! The water is amazing the details they put into it, some missions it looks like carved clay but then you dive down and get about 50m from the ground turn around the camera and you hit the afterburners and the waves just kick up behind the plane. It's the kind of detail I expect in an AC next gen game. Only problem I have with it is the mission 10? when you're attacking the fortress the ground textures are fucking HORRIBLE so low res it's disgusting :(

Schafer said:

Only in this one--before they had a more sedate 70 or so. :D

In any case, you're right about the feel. The presentation, attention to detail, and seriousness make it all look like a simulation, but the actual gameplay is anything but. The HUD is modeled on actual planes and therefore complex, but you can ignore most of it. Just twist around, wait for missile lock, and fire away; repeat. Other tactics are viable but not necessary.

The emotional investment typically isn't very high, so for some it can be easy to get bored or distracted by Ace Combat. At the same time, you usually get a godlike sense of power since you're the only thing standing against the enemy (allies are never very effective at more than screening you from wave attacks).

watership

Y2Kev said:
I walk on

I am unable to think

I am empty

*shoots self*

Is the storytelling/voice work worse than Ace Combat 5? That whole photographer asking questions/narating was so bad. "She opens a book. it's a red book."

Or the whole singing bit. Ug.

Carl2282

watership said:
Is the storytelling/voice work worse than Ace Combat 5? That whole photographer asking questions/narating was so bad. "She opens a book. it's a red book."

I liked ac5 more, in terms of story. I still remember Chopper, Edge, Acher, Swordsman. The Razgriz, Honestly I liked the Story from Ac5 the best, The music from Ac0 the best.
BUT Ac6 looks killer. The missions are better designed, eventhough theres less of them they seem to all be longer.

gkryhewy

Sales-Age:

Adding up the offline/campaign leaderboard totals for the various difficulties gives a total of roughly 45,000. Assuming maybe 5,000 have played on multiple difficulties, this yields a total of 40,000 XBL gold purchasers. Assuming an equal split of gold/silver purchasers would yield first week sales of 80,000, which isn't bad at all. Lots of assumptions, YMMV, etc.

Both versions of the game have held up reasonably well on gamestop.com and amazon rankings, which provides something of a cross-check.

Y2Kev

watership said:

It was kind of refreshing almost to see that "journalist" thing done in AC5, but no, it was not well written then either.

This is way worse, though, because that really awesome sense of isolation you got early in AC5 is gone and the woman is way more annoying.

Carl2282

Y2Kev said:
It was kind of refreshing almost to see that "journalist" thing done in AC5, but no, it was not well written then either.

This is way worse, though, because that really awesome sense of isolation you got early in AC5 is gone and the woman is way more annoying.
I dont think its that as much as its the fact they try and tell the story from too many people's perspective. Also then don't really give any depth to Garuda team.

and btw Kev, we gotta try out the co op!

gkryhewy

Carl2282 said:
I dont think its that as much as its the fact they try and tell the story from too many people's perspective. Also then don't really give any depth to Garuda team.

and btw Kev, we gotta try out the co op!

I'd be game for some coop tonight

Impressions so far:

First some background. Im new to this series, but Ive been dying for some online dogfighting since Crimson Skies. Blazing Angels 1&2 demos were so bad, it was obvious they were not purchases. I dont have a ps3 so no warhawk for me...The AC6 demo was pretty cool, but hard for me. I liked it enough to buy it. The only other demo that convinced me to buy it this year when I wasnt planning on it was skate.

Single Player:

I havent played through a single player flight shooter game since Colony Wars back on the PS. I only bought Crim.Skies for multi. So I figured I would approach AC6 the same way, play though the tutorials and first mission or two to get adjusted, and then start playing multiplayer and never look back. I couldnt do that though. This game was too much fun, I just couldnt wait to see what was next. The levels are fun so far, and I look forward to the wacky cinematics. The music is great, Im not annoyed by the sound effects yet, besides you can turn them down, and the graphics are the best Ive ever seen ever. Only Gears has this much wow in it. Bottom line, this game is borderline purchase/rental if you dont have live gold, only because the game is a bit short. Definately a must play if you are a fan of the genre. The only annoyances I found was the interface for shopping, and selecting planes, and lack of custom soundtrack support.(is this true?) After sk8 and halo, I wish I could upload videos and screens.

Multiplayer:

So after playing thru the first half of the game, I decided to see how awesome I was online. I was not awesome :( But I didnt suck! I still loved playing, both Team Deathmatch, Coop, and Attack/Defend. The one thing I really dont like is that the menus and options for multiplayer suck, and worse, u cant switch planes or payloads after you die. Really sucky for attack defend because you cant switch planes when your role changes, thus most of the time you have to pick a plane/payload that is versatile. I never had any lag or connection issues, and compared to Team Fortress 2 which Ive been playing alot lately but had more than a few problems with... this one has been perfect.

I think if they took this game and put that COD4/Halo3 level of polish on it, it could be a 10, but as it currently stands, most reviews that put it at 80-85 are spot on.

gkryhewy

For those who may also run into this question, the CFA-44 Nosferatu can be unlocked by beating the game on hard or better - you don't need to beat it on hard if you prefer to jump to expert.

Llyranor

Wait, how many difficulties are there? (including unlockable ones)

I like a high difficulty in my games; most of my favorite games tend to rank high on the difficulty scale. The demo was hilariously easy it was ridiculous.

Now, I've never played an AC game before this, and I'm getting the flightstick (I'm a sucker for peripherals). If I don't want my hand held, should I just start at the highest diff available, or are there lower diffs that are challenging enough as well for the average 'hardcore' gamer (to promote replays)?

X26

Banned
Llyranor said:
Wait, how many difficulties are there? (including unlockable ones)

I like a high difficulty in my games; most of my favorite games tend to rank high on the difficulty scale. The demo was hilariously easy it was ridiculous.

Now, I've never played an AC game before this, and I'm getting the flightstick (I'm a sucker for peripherals). If I don't want my hand held, should I just start at the highest diff available, or are there lower diffs that are challenging enough as well for the average 'hardcore' gamer (to promote replays)?

There's 4 I think. AC games are pretty easy so this time around I started at expert and while I've died a couple times it's not too bad. Adds tension and excitement knowing you're not invulnerable like on other difficulties.

ALTHOUGH, sadly, unlike in previous games the hardest difficulty doesn't result in you getting destroyed after a single missile hit. I've taken direct hits on hard and lived, which is lame.

Top Bottom