• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official AMIGA "Rosetinted" Thread

Gowans

JetSetHero said:
Anybody remember making their own levels for Worms in Deluxe Paint?

I totally forgot about that, yeah we used to mess around to try and make the most ridiculously hard levels unplayable levels, or just lots of levels with willys in them :)

Jasup

MikeB said:
An A3000 based virtual reality gaming system:

1000cs.jpg

Dactyl Nightmare (1991, Amiga 3000 based, pre-Doom / Wolfenstein 3D era)

Oh wow, I remember that one. I got to play it in Grona Lund in Stockholm. As a game it was poor, but as an experience it was something else. It was the time when Virtual Reality was the future.

MikeB

Banned
Amiga classics Genetic Species and It Came From the Desert are now available at Amiga.com, I already own both games but I would love to know how seemless the experience is if someone buys them.

Apparently it should just be like clicking the game icon which would get you right into the game (no emulator setup, ROM downloads, etc):

Genetic Species $4.99
http://amiga.com/shop/index.php?prod_id=225

It Came From the Desert $4.99
http://amiga.com/shop/index.php?prod_id=226

Nozi

Banned
Bloodnet was one of the most atmospheric adventures I have ever played, the writing was incredible.

Gowans

Anyone remember when the PC was starting to produce its first 3D/FPS games and there were a few made just for the Amiga.

I kinda remember gaping at the graphics on a game called Gloom :lol , which I played horizontal split screen with my bro then some Aliens style game.

Shame it was in the last days of my 1200 before my PC switch the devs really pushed that system.

Nozi

Banned
Gowans007 said:
Anyone remember when the PC was starting to produce its first 3D/FPS games and there were a few made just for the Amiga.

I kinda remember gaping at the graphics on a game called Gloom :lol , which I played horizontal split screen with my bro then some Aliens style game.

Shame it was in the last days of my 1200 before my PC switch the devs really pushed that system.

Gloom was awesome. One of the better 'doom clones' on the Amiga. Back then, everything was about chunky to planar calculations, haha.. good times.

Fularu

Banned
Gloom was prety mediocre

Breathless is where it's at.

breathless_04.gif

and of course, Alien Breed 3D II - The Killing Grounds

award_ab3d2.jpg

Gowans

Alien Breed 3D that was the one,

Its weird in these threads I look at a pic of a game I havn't thought about since and can remember the feelings they brought.

I remember would struggle through this as it looked so amazing trying to eake every bit of performance out of my 1200.

MikeB

Banned
@ Gowans007

Gloom Deluxe was an improved version released a year later, it offered the benefit of using upgrade boards as the 14 Mhz CPU and 2 MB of ram of the A1200 by default was pretty limiting for this kind of game. Gloom Deluxe allows higher resolutions and unlike the original the game can be played on older ECS Amigas as well, such as on an upgraded Amiga 2000.

award_gloomdeluxe.jpg

http://hol.abime.net/2741/screenshot

lilltias

I remember playing that VR thing in Sega world in London. I thought it was really cool, but later on I discovered it was kinda crap. Unresponsive and not at all intuitive. Bold stuff.

Didn't know that it was Amiga powered though. Soooo coooool! Now I think I have to revaluate the game and give it a 9/10 or somethin'. Amiga fanboy as I am :)

Gowans007 said:
haha Great Giana Sisters CLASSIC!

I still prefer it to Super Mario Bros. 1 :) Even if jump mechanics are not as well defined and some of the new levels are not as good as the Mario ones.

Gowans

SpoonyBard said:
I still prefer it to Super Mario Bros. 1 :) Even if jump mechanics are not as well defined and some of the new levels are not as good as the Mario ones.

you realise you siad that on gaf, quick steath edit before the nbots see it! :lol

Never mind the games, I used to pour hours into Say It...
trying to make it swear profusely or say really long words. You had to be mindful of how it was crap with certain phonetic sounds.

I loved the perspective correction stuff in Deluxe Paint, that used to awe me. I still toy with shit like that in Photoshop today...

In terms of games I remember....
mostly Gods, Putty, James Pond... reading back on this thread I recognise a few more. I can't believe I forgot Sensible Soccer. Best game evarrr!

Oh man, thanks so much everyone for this thread, it has brought back some seriously happy memories for me. The C64/Amiga days were the real halcyon days of gaming for me, and in fact I pretty much owe my entire career in videogame journalism to the Amiga - I was one of the first people in the UK to buy the A500 (had been saving in anticipation of its launch for ages) and when I finally managed to wangle at interview at Commodore User (May 1988), they gave me a whole bunch of Amiga games to take home and review mainly because they didn't yet have an Amiga of their own and I did. Brilliant.

Does anyone know if there's a good repository of Amiga soundtracks online? I'd love to hear the Warhead music again, it was amazing.

Oh, and one other thing that I'm surprised not to have seen yet - there was a pretty well-known demo of a cat walking inside a rotating image that was a big deal around the time of the Amiga 500. With the default 512K the demo was somewhat gimped but shove that metal-wedge RAM expansion into the underside and you could see it in all its glory. Anyone got an image of that?

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
Gary Whitta said:
Oh, and one other thing that I'm surprised not to have seen yet - there was a pretty well-known demo of a cat walking inside a rotating image that was a big deal around the time of the Amiga 500. With the default 512K the demo was somewhat gimped but shove that metal-wedge RAM expansion into the underside and you could see it in all its glory. Anyone got an image of that?

Interesting.. Haven´t heard about that but I also would love to know more..

Gowans

Gary no idea but reminded me of these old cartoon animations done in deluxe paint with some cute foxes/squirrels etc.... anyone remember that one too?

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
I have two large boxes of old amiga, workbench applications, 'demo's and demo compliation discs around in storage. I should one day go and check what is in there.

I used to like the demo with the F-18's flying over a landscape. Ahh those were the days.

Cheers.

DCharlie

Banned
one thing to say though is that some facets of the "Great ST/Amiga fanboy war" have been somewhat lost.

An Amiga soldier would have NEVER talked of this game as an Amiga title back on the front line ... it was akin to arming then swallowing one of your own grenades.

"yeah, you get Dungeon Master... way later... and only if you have a 1 meg machine... lol Amiga fans pffff!"

Sigh ... why don`t we have intense rivalry like that these days? ... oh wait! ;)

lol - just realised that the file name is : http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fa/ST_Dungeon_Master_fight.png. haha

Gowans

Gowans007 said:
Gary no idea but reminded me of these old cartoon animations done in deluxe paint with some cute foxes/squirrels etc.... anyone remember that one too?

Ahh late night surfing, Found it!!! Eric Schwartz & his Amiga Art & Animations.

I think I got into them from fee demos I even remember trying to draw and copy his style.

http://rigby-jones.net/es/

Gowans007 said:

Of course -- those were all done by a guy named Eric Schwartz. They have a bunch up on YouTube; I've been looking for the originals online to no avail so far [edit: at least until Gowans' post :)]. He did a bunch of stuff w/the squirrel, a series called "Aerotoons" with cartoon airplanes, and my personal favorite, "The Anti-Lemming Demo." He also did the intro for Superfrog.

4v51mcz.jpg

Anti-Lemming Demo

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qgzBZjhh2Bo

At the Movies (note: don't watch if you're allergic to furries)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yIPQgA_lRmA

Unsporting
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VhMig6onUqo

Gowans

oh the memoys I'll have to check these out after I sleep properly but man on watching I even remember a cartoon/animation creator he used/sponsored where I spend hours editing and messing around with his stuff.

Ahh the things this thread makes you remember :D

DCharlie said:
one thing to say though is that some facets of the "Great ST/Amiga fanboy war" have been somewhat lost.

An Amiga soldier would have NEVER talked of this game as an Amiga title back on the front line ... it was akin to arming then swallowing one of your own grenades.

"yeah, you get Dungeon Master... way later... and only if you have a 1 meg machine... lol Amiga fans pffff!"

Sigh ... why don`t we have intense rivalry like that these days? ... oh wait! ;)

lol - just realised that the file name is : http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fa/ST_Dungeon_Master_fight.png. haha

I actually never had an Amiga of my own. For some reason almost everyone around my little neighborhood went from Commodore 64 to Atari ST, so I got one too. I missed some of the Amiga exclusive games, but vast majority of the titles were multiplatform back then. And looking back, there wasn't really that much difference between the two machines.

FTL was incredibly talented studio back then:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTL_Games

Although I never played SunDog. Dungeon Master and OIDS were both stunning.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Lots of Amiga devs were furries...

Eric Schwartz of course. Then that guy who made Fairy Tale Adventure... then he made the highest budget furry title ever created - Inherit The Earth:

inherit3.gif

DCharlie

Banned
And looking back, there wasn't really that much difference between the two machines.

well, i`d mildly disagree there - the hardware scrolling of the amiga and the sound chip took quite a dump on the ST, coupled with the dual sided drive vs. the single sided ST meant that ST owners would often get the shaft.

I`ve always been really into the sonic element of games, so after the C64 - the ST was a bit of a disappointment when you had to go to sub-SID level chip sound in a next gen machine. Obviously, that was just at the start, and once trackers and sample use took off, things sounded better - but it was always way behind the Amiga (although ironically the ST was way better for music creation tools (well, midi based at least))

Anyways, i guess the games were roughly similar, but the Amiga versions always seem way more complete in most cases.

And every time i talk about the amiga, i want to play Rocket Ranger and/or Hunter.
(the ST version of RR was a pale shadow of the game on the amiga)

agh.

I think only the very first Atari ST version had a single sided drive. By the time I got one everything was dual sided. Of course ST disks were 720 kB and Amiga used 880 kB disks. The audio was the biggest difference between the two. Some earlier ST/Amiga multiplatform games ran better on ST, because of the faster CPU. But later when they began using the blitter chip in Amiga, and games started running smoother.

The later ST versions, STe and so on, also had a blitter chip, but they came so late nobody supported them. It's shame neighter of the platforms survived, the hardware was so much more interesting that this PC shit.

DCharlie

Banned
I think only the very first Atari ST version had a single sided drive. By the time I got one everything was dual sided. Of course ST disks were 720 kB and Amiga used 880 kB disks. The audio was the biggest difference between the two. Some earlier ST/Amiga multiplatform games ran better on ST, because of the faster CPU. But later when they began using the blitter chip in Amiga, and games started running smoother.

The later ST versions, STe and so on, also had a blitter chip, but they came so late nobody supported them. It's shame neighter of the platforms survived, the hardware was so much more interesting that this PC shit.

yeah, the issue was that the ST user base was split and split and split. The single side drives were in the first large batch of STs, but from that point on you can`t really abandon everyone who has a single sided drive built in to the machine. :(

MikeB

Banned
well, i`d mildly disagree there - the hardware scrolling of the amiga and the sound chip took quite a dump on the ST

I owned both Atari ST and since 1989 various Amigas. To add to what you said, the Amiga allowed for better screenmodes and far more colors, also the operating system was fully pre-emptive multitasking and a lot better customizable to suit individual needs. Also the high end Amigas were alot better expandable.

Atari fans mainly claim the ST was superior for doing MIDI (built-in MIDI ports,). But it only offered a mono-sound chip unlike the stereo sound chip found in classic Amigas. Also higher-end Amigas could be expanded with all kinds of sound cards and MIDI expansions, so technically that's disputable (so only really cheaper). The Atari ST was rather a good choice for DTP, but the key-app Pagestream was available for both platforms and over the years only the Amiga version continues to advance.

Overall Amigas could do lots of things simply not possible on the Ataris, the Amiga was especially a unique solution for genlock and toaster professional/amateur purposes. And basically Amiga could do anything the Ataris could, most often quite a bit better.

Philthy

This might be a little on and off topic.

James Pond: Robocod. I *loved* this on the Amiga, and noticed it was available on the DS.

So how does it hold up? Is it just as good?

Edit: Thanks for letting us know about the Amiga article updates. It's great stuff.

Red Scarlet

Well, the sound got really desynched and was lagged anyway (as well as WinUAE, my comp's fault), but I did manage to beat Ultima 4 in about 4.5 hours..would have been 4 had it played at the proper speed. I guess that was good. I may try again on a better computer someday. I doubt my actual Amiga has the power to do it, though.

ckohler

Lemming_JRS said:
Of course -- those were all done by a guy named Eric Schwartz. They have a bunch up on YouTube; I've been looking for the originals online to no avail so far [edit: at least until Gowans' post :)]. He did a bunch of stuff w/the squirrel, a series called "Aerotoons" with cartoon airplanes, and my personal favorite, "The Anti-Lemming Demo." He also did the intro for Superfrog.

He does an online comic strip now called "Sabrina Online" that includes many of his old Amiga animated characters. I remember having a bunch of his animations. Some I'd downloaded from BBSes and others I got off of "Fred Fish" Shareware disks.

You can still download most all of them in their original Moviesetter format. There's even a few players available for various platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac) that can still play back Moviesetter.

Man.. Moviesetter alone is something worth mentioning. It was the coolest animation tool ever. It was kinda like Flash is today but a hell of a lot easier (and all raster instead of vector). You would create your assets digitally. You'd create "scenes" with "backgrounds" and sprites for characters. Sound effects. Music. And then you'll place them on the stage and animate them. It was awesome. Of course, it also required you be an artist like Schwartz to make anything really compelling which he did.

no_to_co

SpoonyBard said:

I can still hum the tune to this one. And it's been probably 20 years since I last played the game. I did not realize this was a SMB rip-off until I moved to the states and got a NES. I guess nobody owned consoles in Germany back in the late 80's.

Schrade

For fun, here's some current progress on one of the Amiga "clones" that are being worked on. It's called the MiniMig and it's being made to fit in the Mini-ITX form factor so you can use standard cases and stuff with it. All of the Amiga coprocessors are being fit on one FPGA chip.

Kind of cool :)

Here's the official page: http://home.hetnet.nl/~weeren001/

And here's a current progress of it with lots of pics: http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=4003

237a07.jpg

Red Scarlet

passerotto said:
I LUV U AMIGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.
i know all amiga games'name.
Test me.
Sword_of_Sodan-2.png

I guessed Sword of Sodan, then just right clicked the picture and saw Sword of Sodan 2. It's best to edit the game's name out of the name of the picture! :p

Error never finished watching the U4 "run" that I did. What a dork.

Philthy said:
This might be a little on and off topic.

James Pond: Robocod. I *loved* this on the Amiga, and noticed it was available on the DS.

So how does it hold up? Is it just as good?

Yeah, it's still pretty good. DS version changes some of the levels around slightly, and gives you a map on the touch screen which kinda comes in handy!

ymmv

Banned
MikeB said:
I owned both Atari ST and since 1989 various Amigas. To add to what you said, the Amiga allowed for better screenmodes and far more colors, also the operating system was fully pre-emptive multitasking and a lot better customizable to suit individual needs. Also the high end Amigas were alot better expandable.

Atari fans mainly claim the ST was superior for doing MIDI (built-in MIDI ports,). But it only offered a mono-sound chip unlike the stereo sound chip found in classic Amigas. Also higher-end Amigas could be expanded with all kinds of sound cards and MIDI expansions, so technically that's disputable (so only really cheaper)..

Yet the Amiga was never popular in the music business. There was some software but it could never compete in both quantity and quality with what was available on the ST. The Atari ST had lots and lots of MIDI software in those days. All the popular sequencers were either ported (Dr T software) or began their life on the ST. The most popular sequencers were Cubase (by Steinberg) and Logic (eMagic) and those programs still exist. eMagic was taken over by Apple a couple of years which made Logic even the de facto sequencer to use on the Mac platform.

I still think that the ST had the better productivity software, but the Amiga was obviously better at multimedia stuff (with the exception of MIDI software) and especially games. I had both an Atari 520 ST and Amiga 500 (with all expansions). The ST couldn't really keep up. ST games were always clunky because it just wasn't designed for games. The scrolling was always awful, the color palette limited and the sound horrid. The Amiga also had a far better OS. Once I got a HD for my Amiga, it became a joy to use.

marwan

Banned
StormwatchGRE said:
Guru_meditation.gif

Best Home Micro ever........well after the Speccy of course

OMG lol i can't believe you remember that! :lol

me and my friend sued to make fun of the "Guru Meditation" part! :lol

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
ymmv said:
The Amiga also had a far better OS.

The ability to create hours worth of Stephen Hawking sounding speeches using the speech synthesizer provided in Workbench kept me happy for many years. It was truely amazing at the time!

Top Bottom